Episode 8: Party

Forever and a Dae

 VÉRITÉ - Living


  “Do you want to go to a party with me?” Himchan asks me as we leave biology. We stop in the hallway since he has to go the opposite direction from me.

  I'm not a fan of parties, so I want to refuse. First of all, there will be a lot of people which means a lot of numbers floating about everyone's head, and second of all, there will definitely be little space between each person the moment a dance floor is created. Let's not forget that there will be drinking, so students will be making poor decisions if someone doesn't keep them in check, and I don't want to be responsible for someone who is vomiting whatever they ate before they got to the party. "I really don't want to. Sorry, Himchan. Parties aren't my thing." It was hard enough to get used to him.

  Daehyun comes up to us. “I’m not comfortable with Youngjae going either,” he states.

  Himchan’s eyes widen. This is actually the first time he’s seen me interact with Daehyun in person at least. “If you want to come, I can invite you, too. It’s an open party. I even invited Jaebum.”

  Daehyun flinched and squinted his eyes as he looks at Himchan up and down. “How’d you know about Jaebum?”

  “I’ve seen all three of you together at the coffee shop nearby. C’mon, I’ve never seen you two at a party. It’s time to let loose!”

  “I get headaches because of the loud music.”

  “You can stay outside. There’s a pool.”

  “I’m fine.”

  Himchan sighs. “If you don’t want to go, that’s fine, but if you do decide to go, just ask Jaebum for the address because he’s been there before.” He says his goodbyes and make his way to his classroom.

  College parties has a bad reputation for me because of how movies and books depict it. Something bad is bound to happen, and I don’t want to experience it. On top of that, there’s just going to be too many people. There’s definitely no way anyone is going to convince me to go.

  "So, are you going to the party tonight," Jaebum asks as we sit around with our coffees in hand. This time we aren't studying since most of our exams are done.

  “No,” Daehyun replies.

  “Oh.” He rubs his cup with both hands while staring at the contents inside.

  Daehyun sighs. "You just need someone to drive you, don't you?"

  He gives a cheeky grin. "Yes. I haven't had fun in a while, and I'm always the one taking care of people, so I need someone to take care of me. I would ask another friend, but they always get wasted and it's annoying because I end up sobering up just to take care of them."

  "What's so fun about being drunk anyways? You let yourself loose for a night that you possibly don't even remember and vomit for the last half and then you wake up with a headache. I see no appeal."

  "You don't understand because you've never been drunk before."

  Daehyun raises an eyebrow.

  "It's almost the end of the semester, so might as well enjoy it before finals. Just come with me this weekend and after that, I'll never ask you two to go to a party ever again. Deal?"

  This is the first time I've ever seen the two bicker like this. Usually, it would end in silence or with death glares. Was this how they were before they went their separate ways for who-knows-what-reason? I still didn't want to go no matter what Jaebum says, and I'm sure Daehyun and Jaebum feels it, so they turn to me.

  Jaebum has pleading eyes. "I know you don't like crowds, but just this once and if you're not comfortable, Daehyun can take you home and I'll just wait for him to come back."

  Daehyun glares. "I'm not a taxi driver."

  He brushes it off. "Just come with me this weekend, please?"

  I really want to say no. My stubborn self doesn't want to go. On the other hand, he's looking at me with those puppy-dog eyes. The same way that Su Min used to look at me whenever she wanted to eat at her favorite restaurant no matter how much it hurts my wallet. I give in. "Fine. I'll go."

  "Awesome. The theme is sports jersey, so wear something... sporty I guess. Doesn't have to be a specific team, but wear at least shorts and a T-shirt to look like you at least tried."

  It sounds like a lot of work for a party. Okay, maybe it's not a lot. I just trying to find an excuse not to go despite the fact that I've already accepted his invitation. I nod my head.

  "Fine. We can discuss the details later," Daehyun states. "For now, I want to enjoy my coffee."

  The night of the party, I'm having trouble finding the right outfit. I don't watch sports, I don't play sports, and I certainly don't own anything sporty. Jaebum did say I can wear a shirt and shorts, but would that make me stand out more if I didn't try? I continually search through my closet and drawers and only manage to find a pair of basketball shorts. Maybe Jaebum has a jersey I can wear. He has to since he apparently goes to parties often.

  I pull out my phone.

Hey. Did Daehyun pick you up yet?

  He answers almost immediately.

No. I think he's heading over to your place first. Why? Are you having second thoughts?

  I've been having doubts. I just don't want to back down nor that it's come to this.

I need a jersey. Mind if I borrow one?
Sure. I got plenty
Thanks. I owe you one

  Now all I need to do is wait for Daehyun to arrive.

  Daehyun arrives first at my apartment just like Jaebum said. When I enter his car, I'm taken aback. He isn't even wearing a jersey or anything sporty! What the hell? He wearing clothes as if he was going out to hang out with friends at a movies or something. "You're not dressed," I state rather than ask.

  "Dressing up in that outfit is not my style. What about you? It looks like you gave up halfway through."

  "What do mean by that?"

  "You have shorts on but no jersey."

  "I'm borrowing from Jaebum."

  "Oh." He says no more and starts driving.

  When we reach Jaebum's apartment, he jumps into the back seat and hands me his jersey. It's a team I have never heard of, but it works. I start changing and hear Daehyun snort. "What?" I exclaim.

  "Nothing."

  I glare. My body may not be at its best shape, but I didn't think it was that bad. I throw on the jersey and feel a gush of cool air hit my sides. Why am I trying so hard to fit in when Daehyun clearly doesn't care about his appearance?

  The party is just how I imagined it to me. Cars line up around the neighborhood. There's students inside and outside talking while holding red solo cups. The bass of the music can be heard through the walls, but it isn't loud enough to annoy the neighbors as long as they keep the door shut. As we enter the house, I spot people dancing- no grinding against each other or making out. I sneer in disgust. Himchan is somewhere in the crowd, but we can’t seem to find him. My head is spinning due to the loud music and the numbers floating and mashing together. Why do people dance so close to each other anyways? Do they not feel uncomfortable? There are a few decent people stuck to the wall, but it isn't until we head to the backyard did things seem a bit normal. Partygoers here are sitting outside, drinking and talking. Some were swimming at the pool in their underwear. There's a beer pong game going on and that's pretty much the most exciting event at the moment.

  "I'm going to get some drinks. Both of you better take at least one shot with me," Jaebum announces and heads back inside.

  "Just stay close to me," Daehyun whispers while grabbing my arm.

  A chill runs up my spine and I jerk away from him. My cheeks flush. "You don't have to worry about me. It's not too crazy out here."

  "That's because not everyone is drunk yet." He groans, "I hate parties like these. They give me a headache."

  Hearing this from Daehyun with his deep voice makes him sound like an old man. I can't help but laugh at the thought of him being an old man in a young boy's body.

  He gives me a questioning look. "What?"

  "Nothing. I'm glad we both can agree on something."

  We stand in silence as the world is noisy around us. I didn't mind that we aren't talking and embrace this moment. It didn't last long when I hear Daehyun asking, "Do you want to sit down?"

  "Sure."

  I follow him to the other side of the pool and sit on the grass looking into the house. The blinds are open, allowing us to see what is happening inside. From my view, they look like wild animals ready for mating season. That or predators, searching for prey (their drinks). I don't see Jaebum as he's drowned in a sea of people.

  "Do you think Jaebum got lost?" Daehyun asks with a chuckle.

  I pretend to look for him through the window. "Possibly. It does look like a maze in there. Should we go get him?"

  "Don't you dare. There's too many people and I don't want you to get dragged into something you don't want to do. Just stay here. I'll go look for him."

  I snatch his wrist as he stands and immediately draw back. "Ah. Sorry. I didn't mean to do that." I don't know why I suddenly grabbed onto him, but I didn't want him to leave me here with drunk people around. What if someone I don't know approaches me and tries to talk to me or even offers me a drink? I don't know what they put in it!

  Daehyun's eyes are wide and he blinks a couple of times. He settles back down and sits cross-legged.

  Ah, I made things awkward between us. I shift and made myself comfortable on the grass. I bring my knees up to my chest and hug my legs. There's a strange smell coming from behind us, but I didn't need to look to know what the group of students are doing behind us. Why are we here? This is definitely not something a person like me would be doing. I rather be in bed watching a tv show or sleeping. We still have a long night ahead of us.

  I feel my necklace pressing against my chest and remember that Daehyun has the same charm as me. I never had the chance to ask him about it or more like I had trouble finding the right words to ask him. It's a simple question but what if he counters with his own questions or what if I'm disappointed in his answer? What am I expecting anyways?

  It's not the right time to ask, so I don't.

  "I'm thinking about leaving Jaebum here and letting him take a taxi," Daehyun states while watching the hoard.

  "We shouldn't. We need to take care of each other in a party like this."

  He huffs. "Alright, but if I don't see him within ten minutes, I'm going inside to get him."

  "Fair enough." This time I shouldn't stop him. As he's busy looking for Jaebum at this distance, I can't help but stare. He cares for him despite the fact that he says he doesn't. The way his eyebrows furrow and the slight pout on his lips definitely gives him away. This isn't the only thing I notice. His skin is almost flawless. His brown eyes are captivating. And his thick lips are tempting enough to kiss. Ah, what am I thinking? I mentally slap myself. I've already established that he's handsome, but I never had the thought of kissing him.

  "Do you think I get more handsome the more you stare at me?" Daehyun asks without turning his head.

  I stiffen. How did he know I was staring? "Huh? What are you talking about? I wasn't staring. I was thinking and you just happened to be in my line of vision." Yes, as if that makes total sense.

  Daehyun chuckles. He doesn't press further and continues to look out.

  What is wrong with me? Being with Daehyun definitely changed me. I can easily shut him and Jaebum out of my life, but just having his presence is a normal routine for me. If that's taken away, I will feel like something is missing from my life. The infinity symbol is clear, but I still have no explanation for it. No one can live forever, so why is there no time limit of him?

  "Oh, here he comes." Daehyun stands, "And he's stumbling towards us."

  Just as Daehyun stated, Jaebum nearly trips over his own feet as he comes up to us while carrying three shot glasses. There's no way he's making me drink out of that. No. ing. Way.

  As if reading my mind, Jaebum hands two shot glasses to Daehyun. "Drink while the night is young!" His voice comes in a slur. Jeabum leans against Daehyun and wraps his arm around his shoulder.

  "I'm your driver. I can't drink. Just drink on your own. You're not that drunk anyways. Or ar least you can't be that drunk just yet," Daehyun grumbles while pushing Jaebum's arm away from him.

  Jaebum takes the two glasses back and raises all three up in the air. "Fine. If you're not going to drink it, then I will." He gulps one down in an instant.

  Before he can take another, Daehyun snatches the two and dumps it in the grass. "You had enough for now. Go drink some water or take a break from drinking."

  "Is it hot out here or is it just me?" Jaebum completely ignores Daehyun's bickering and makes his way towards the pool. I don't find it a good idea to have a drunk guy swimming, but Daehyun seems to think otherwise.

  "You're drunk that's why you're hot."

  Again, Jaebum doesn't listen to Daehyun and begins taking off his shirt. I don't know why I feel embarrassed all of a sudden, but the way the muscles on his arm and his lower back tense makes me swoon. I didn't even drink, but it's as if I'm getting secondhand drinking from the people around me. When he has his shirt completely off, I notice he has a tattoo on the back of his shoulder.

  I'm taken aback as I recognize it from my dream. It was the tattoo of half the moon and sun. A throbbing sensation pounds against my head and I'm getting nauseous. The hand with that same tattoo flashes before me. Something dark stains these hands, and eyes so menacing stares back at me.

  I curl up into a ball. The pain doesn't subside and increases with each passing time until everything turns black around me.