Episode 14: Give It a Try

Forever and a Dae

Zac Efron and Zendaya - Rewrite the Stars


  It's been a few days since Daehyun told me the truth. Not once did I see Jaebum, and I didn't want to. I'm not ready to face him after what he's done to me. He may have saved us in the end, but I still feel betrayed. Jaebum hasn't shown up at the cafe either. As for Daehyun, I feel as if everything changed, but he acts as if nothing did. He still talks to me like normal and even annoys me when he's stuck to me like glue. I try not to think so much about the truth, but in the back of my mind, all I can think of is that I used to be Daehyun's lover. If soulmates are real, then does that mean I will fall for him again? Learning about the truth didn't affect me from wearing my necklace as it does have some sentimental value to me. It helped me through tough times and will continue to do so, and I'm relieved that this wasn't taken away from me.

  I'm sitting in literature class and staring at the back of Daehyun's head. I remember the man saying that Daehyun doesn't have a lot of time, but what is that supposed to mean? Is he going to die soon? That can't be because he clearly still has his infinity symbol above his head. Or maybe he'll just leave Earth and never to return.

 I continue to think and recall the way Daehyun looks at me. There's clear love in his eyes, but I can't tell if they're actually for me or for the one he sees in me. I mean, I shouldn't care, yet there's a pinch in my heart as I imagine his smiles, his laughs, his eyes, everything about him is all for Mi Sun and not me.

  "Ah, what am I thinking?" I mutter to myself. Am I really supposed to fall in love with him because of my past self? These conflicting feelings are taking over me. After hearing Daehyun's story, I can't make out what is real and what is just out of obligation. There has to be a way where I can test out these feelings.

  My mind is so occupied by my plan to approach Daehyun, I didn't realize class is over until everyone gathers all their things and gets up. At this point, I did have an idea, but I didn't like what I'm about to suggest. Daehyun is waiting for me while I pack my things. It's difficult for me to start this conversation, but I do my best. Slinging my backpack over my shoulders, I go straight into it. "Do you want to go out on a date this Saturday?" I ask this question as fast as I could so I that the words slur together, but it's clear that Daehyun understands ever part of it.

  His eyes widen for a moment before softening. A smile creeps up on his lips as a soft chuckle escapes. "A date? Where did this come from?"

  I blush hard and turn my head away fom him. "I mean, why not? I have a few more questions about my past life anyways." It's partially true. I did want to learn more, and it may help me understand why I see these numbers and symbols - something that's been haunting me for years.

  "Saturday, then?"

  "Yeah. That'll work."

  "Great. I'll pick you up at noon."

  

  Saturday approaches quicker than I imagine. For some reason I'm nervous. After I take a shower, I stand in front of my closet with nothing but my towel and figure out what to wear. Sure, I'm the one who initiated the date, but Daehyun told me he would be the one planning it. I don't know what we're doing, so I don't know what to wear. He did say blue looks good on me. Ah, why am I so worried about this? It's not an actual date. I'm mainly doing this just to understand him and to reassure myself of these strange feelings. I'm sure I think this way only because I'm the girl from his past.

  I stick with a blue button up and white pants. It's not like we're going to do something too adventurous that will cause my pants to dirty. All that's left now was the wait. My phone is in my hands and I find myself glance at it and wonder when Daehyun will arrive. My stomach grumbles. I just want to eat at this point.

  My phone rings. I pick it up. "Hello?"

  "Here. I hope you're ready to eat because I am."

  "On my way." I hang up and head down. I get in Daehyun's car and can't help but stare at Daehyun. Honestly, he doesn't have to do much to look handsome, but his hair is styled differently. As I stare at him more, I realize he has a mole under his eye. I can't recall ever seeing that before. Does he usually cover it with makeup?

  "What?" He catches me.

  I turn away. "Nothing. Where are we going?"

  "I'm thinking pizza and then a movie. I hope you don't mind."

  Pizza and a movies? This is the most casual date I can think of. Well, next to having a date at home, but I should've just worn a t-shirt and jeans if I had known. "I don't mind."

  He drives off.

  We go into a hole in the wall pizza place. It's small and there are not many people around, but the smell is fantastic. I can't tell if I'm feeling this way because I'm hungry or because I'm immune to the smell of greasy food considering it's quite normal to eat those things as a college student. Daehyun tells me to take a seat while he orders. Lucky for him I'm not picky with food, so whatever he chooses I will eat it. I take a seat at the corner and wait for him. As I watch him standing in line, I think to myself, Is this really the right thing? He thinks this is a date. I'm just here so that I can get information. I shake these thoughts. Is it even appropriate for me to ask more questions? I mean, he's smiling from ear to ear and if I ruin that by trying to know my past life, I may trigger something. I'll keep my mouth shut for now.

  After ordering, Daehyun speaks to me, "I've discovered this place after I moved into this city. You can say this is where I had my first meal. I just never got the chance to come back here because I told myself I would go with someone, like, maybe a friend or a lover.

  I shift in my seat. Surely, I cannot be called his lover. "It's cute and cozy. I can imagine girls coming here to take photos and post it online." I laugh. It really is a common thing and it confuses me.

  "Yeah, for sure."

  We sit here just chatting away, and even when our food arrives, we didn't stop talking. I didn't find myself talking about so much, but our conversation kept going. I don't even remember half of what we said, but it was nice to just let words flow out of my mouth. By the time we finished our pizza, we decide to take a break from talking and watch a movie.

  A movie is a typical dating thing to do, but i don't mind. At least if you're the type of person who doesn't talk a lot, it makes it so much easier to continue on. There's no awkward conversations, no awkward silences, and certainly no awkward eye contact.

  As we sit on our seats, Daehyun is holding the popcorn while I'm just sitting there, twirling my fingers. I don't want that awkward and cheesy moment where our hands accidentally touch when grabbing popcorn, so I make sure he's chewing on some before I reach over. We're watching a romantic-comedy mainly because nothing else was good and we weren't in the mood for action. I'm all for romantic comedies, but they can be so predictable. However, the plot will either make or break the obvious ending. As the movie goes on, I find myself enjoying it a bit too much. When something funny happens, I laugh out loud and tap my forehead against Daehyun's shoulder. Occassionally, I even slap his arm. I try to stop, but it's a habit I formed when I was little because my mom always did it and so I find myself doing it as well. 

  At the end of the movie, Daehyun confronts me, "You really enjoyed that movie, didn't you? I didn't think you were a romantic-comedy kind of guy."

 I don't know why, but I find myself comparing myself to Mi Sun. "Is it because I didn't like them in my past life?"

 His eyes widen and he throws his hands up. "No! Not at all. You just don't seem the type to enjoy those things since you're always grumpy."

  "Oh." What am thinking? Why am I comparing myself to my other self?

  "Now, what do you want to do?"

  I am not prepared for this question. It's still early for dinner and I didn't plan anything since Daehyun told me he would take care of it. This is also the first time I'm hanging out with someone for the whole day. "Uhm. Let's go to the playground." The moment I let those words out, I regret it. What kind of college students asks to go there?"

  Daehyun chuckles. "Okay, if that is what you want, then, sure. We can go there."

  I mentally slap myself. Yes, Youngjae, going to the playground is definitely appropriate for your age. 

  The nearest park is walking distance, so we reach our destination quickly. There are tons of children playing and adults sitting and making sure their child doesn't fall and scrape their knees.

  "Well, looks like we can do something else," I state, still embarrassed for saying I wanted to go here.

  Instead of leaving, Daehyun takes a seat on the grass and watches the kids from afar. Ah, yes, that is not creepy at all.

  "Daehyun?"

  "Sorry. I'm just remembering things. Let's sit here for a while."

  I reluctantly give in and take a seat next to him. As we sit in silence, I now remember why I wanted to go here. The numbers float above the children's head as they're laughing and playing. I'm jealous that they can enjoy such a carefree life. When I was their age, all I could think about was why were there numbers, and when I told the other children about it, they thought I was imagining things.

  "When I was a grim reaper, I would always pass by playgrounds like these, and I would guess what their lives will be like." He turns to me, "Then after I became human, I never visited one again until I saw you. You were alone. So I took that chance to see you even though you didn't know who I was and gave back your necklace."

  "Yeah." So my dreams are fairly accurate. "I remember." I rest my hand on the paper airplane.

  Daehyun rests his head on my shoulder.

  I stiffen.

  "I'm glad I can get to know you in this lifetime."

  My body relaxes, but my mind is racing. My heart beats loudly against my chest and it's as if I cannot breathe. What is wrong with me? "Daehyun-" I stop. His eyes are closed and his breathing is steady. Ah, not again. I let him sleep and continue looking out at the playground. If Daehyun hadn't met me that day, would we be here like this today?

  When Daehyun woke up, we had dinner. Everything just felt so natural, so by the end of the day, it's a little strange leaving him. Daehyun parks in front of my apartment and walks me up. We're standing in front of my door, not saying a word.

  "I'm glad we got to spend a day together," Daehyun states.

  My eyes are on the ground. "I enjoyed it." I look up and regret it. Our eyes meet and my heart skips a beat.

  "I'll see you on Monday." He extends his arms and takes me in an embrace.

  I let this process as I'm standing here unmoving. Slowly, I raise my arms and return the hug. It's all too familiar. I almost melt into it, but he let's me go.

  "Good night, Youngjae "

 "Good night, Daehyun." I quickly enter my apartment and shut the door behind me. My heart is going crazy! But then it hits me. A sudden sadness courses over me and I don't know why. Is this feeling coming from Mi Sun channeling through me? Is there a memory that I don't know emerging based on how I'm feeling? I'm not sure, but I have a bad feeling.