Episode 3: The Color Blue

Forever and a Dae

  oscarwilde1.jpg

Eden - Circle


  I'm walking in to my first class, rubbing the pendant in between my thumb and forefinger and not paying attention to where I'm going. The dream I had last night constantly replays in my head, and I can't help but have a smile on my face. There was something so comforting about it and familiar. For once, I didn't have to worry about the numbers floating around people's head. I frown as I realize it's only a dream.

  As I step into my chemistry class, the numbers make my head ache. There are always too many students in introductory classes. I sit at the front to avoid any distractions and begin pulling out my notebook. It's still early, so I begin writing the date and scribble in what section I'm in. I'm too focused on my work to realize someone coming to sit next to me. I didn't even lift my head when I felt that person's presence, but as a shiver runs down my spine, I can't help but look up. There, I see brown eyes staring at my notebook.

  "And once again, we're in the same class," Daehyun indicates while never leaving his eyes from my paper.

  I stop altogether and hold my breath. My hand reaches to my necklace and I rub the pendant. As I take a deep breath, I reply, "Are you stalking me?"

  "Possibly." He chuckles. "You really like that pendant, don't you? You seem to never let it go."

  I didn't realize I'm still rubbing the pendant until he said that and drop my hand. "Yeah, I guess you can say that. Anyways, why are you always sitting next to me? I'm pretty sure there's a lot of seats left." I honestly don't understand why I keep seeing him. I just want to get through college without making any sorts of trouble or meeting new people. After all, everyone has a time limit.

  My eyes trail up to the infinity sign above his head.

  He shifts in his seat, causing his symbol to tilt a bit. "What's wrong with sitting next to you?"

  I can feel my ears turning red. What kind of person would say that? How do you even respond to that anyways? I cough and drop my head to my notebook to avoid his gaze. "I just prefer sitting alone." Then, I mutter, "But every time I try to do so, someone ends up sitting next to me anyways." All I want to do is blend in, but somehow I'm always being approached by someone. I thought not making eye contact will drive people away.

  I'm not sure if Daehyun heard my last comment, but he doesn't say anything and simply sighs while getting his things out of his bag. In the corner of my eye, something glistens. I try to take a look at it, but before I can see what it is, Daehyun's backpack is already on the ground and his legs covers it. Moments later, the professor walks in and gets his lecture ready on the computer. I twirl my pencil and purse my lips. Whatever it is, it doesn't concern me. After all, it could just be his zipper, yet why am I so curious to figure out what it is?

  By the end of the class, I make my way out and avoid talking to Daehyun. He doesn't seem to pursue me so I continue to my next class which is Chemistry lab. To my relief, he nor Himchan is in this class, so for once, I can be left alone. Or at least I thought. I actually have to have a lab partner, but it's only for this class. It'll be easy to keep my distance as long as he or she doesn't ask to work on the lab report together.

  Chemistry lab doesn't take long as most of it is listening to safety procedures and all the required equipment we have to wear. Today, we aren't required to wear it since we aren't working with chemicals, but typically we need a lab coat and goggles while they provide the gloves. As I'm standing next to the lab tables, I skim the class. Everyone has a number above 70 and it gives me a sigh of relief. So, at least I know no one will die during lab. The probability of it happening is slim, but you never know.

  My thumb rubs the paper airplane. I'm starting to get hungry. After this, I should eat.

  When our lab TA finally finishes his little lecture about where all the emergency equipment are, he briefly reminds us of the first pre-lab we have to do before letting us go. I head straight to the dining hall and grab something to eat. I pick a seat at the corner and eat by myself while looking through my phone. Occasionally, I will glance around out of boredom and watch as students group up to talk to each other while some talk to the workers. A see a couple sitting together, laughing and smiling. My heart aches seeing this. I have never fallen in love nor do I want to. After all, all I will be able to focus on is that number floating above their head. It will haunt me, reminding me everyday that their time will run out soon.

  "Hey."

  My heart leaps out of my chest and I tear my gaze away from the couple. My eyes are wide as I land them on brown orbs. I blink a few times before realizing who this person was. I squint and furrow my brows. "Are you sure you're not stalking me?" I comment and take a mouthful of food. "You seem to be popping up everywhere I go. It's strange."

  He lets out a chuckle and points his chopsticks right at me. "No, I promise you I'm not following you - or stalking as you like to put it. I just happen to be eating at the same time as you, and since you seemed a little lonely sitting by yourself, I decided to keep you company."

  I roll my eyes. What if I wanted to be alone? Is there something wrong with that? I huff and continue eating without a word. Just what is with this guy? He really is showing up everywhere I go, and he has a few classes with me. It seems like I will not be able to avoid him in any way. As I'm finishing up my food, I realize Daehyun isn't eat anymore and raise my eyes to him. To my surprise, he rests his head on his hand and stares at me. I nearly choke on my food and gulp down water. "What?"

  Daehyun smiles, showing his perfectly aligned and white teeth. His eyes turn into crescents, causing me to blush a little. I can't lie and can definitely say he is quite charming... No, Youngjae. Don't be caught up by something so simple like that. I drop my gaze and stuff the rest of my food in my mouth. I stack my cup on top of my plate and stuff my used napkins inside. I'm about to get up, but Daehyun's next words make me freeze in my seat.

  "Blue always looks good on you."

  My heart skips a beat and my cheeks flush. What did he just say? "Huh?" I mentally slap myself. What kind of comeback was that, Youngjae? You couldn't think of anything snarky or witty at this moment? I glance at my clothes. Yes, I'm wearing a blue t-shirt, but there's nothing really appealing about it. It's just a plain blue shirt that you can find at any store.

  "I said, blue looks good on you. It matches your complexion."

  I shrug. "I guess." How else am I supposed to reply to this comment? I look at his clothing. He's wearing a pink button-up shirt and jeans. I purse my lips and roll my eyes to the side. "Well, pink looks good on you." Again, I mentally slap myself. I have never been this incompetent to come up with something to say until now. I'm pretty sure there's another way to approach this situation, but no. I have to think about way to make this even more awkward.

  This time, Daehyun laughs. "Thanks. I don't typically wear pink, but today is one of those days where I felt like it. Glad I chose today to."

  Again, I blush. Why the hell is this guy so charming? I barely know this guy and yet here we are, complimenting each other about the clothes we're wearing. "Anyways, I'm done eating," I start and check the clock on my phone, "And I have my next class in thirty minutes. I think I'm going to head over there and find a seat." I didn't wait for him to respond and head to where I can put my empty plate on.

  Daehyun is actually next to me this whole time and even walks outside with me. I really hope we don't have the same class again or else I will question my advisor and ask if she advised a guy named Jung Daehyun and decided that I needed a friend in every class. I don't really have much to say, but it seems like he doesn't either. We walk in silence.

  For a while, I did feel uncomfortable, but then it soon turns to comfort. I don't know why, but it's all too familiar. This silence. This knowing that someone is next to. This slight warmth I can feel radiating off of him. I don't know what it is, but even with all the students passing and numbers floating, they seem to blur as I walk beside him. It might be because I'm so focused on trying to figure out who this Jung Daehyun really is or it might be because I'm ignoring ever presence that is around me. It's strange.

  As we get close to my building, I hear Daehyun say, "Well, I'm heading home. I guess I'll see you tomorrow."

  "Heading home already?" Ah, why am I conversing with him?

  He grins. "I started at 8AM that way I can end early."

  8AMs? Who in their right mind would torture themselves with waking up early for an 8AM class? "Whatever. Bye." I can't get attached. I quicken my pace into the building with my heart beating uncontrollably in my chest. Deep within me, I felt bad for Daehyun like that, but at the same time, if I stayed there any longer, I don't know what's going to happen. I touch the pendant and take a deep breath. "Why am I so weird around him?" I mutter to myself and climb the stairs. It was easy for me to ignore Himchan, but why is it so hard to avoid Daehyun?

  A flash of large hands reaching out to me flashes before my eyes. I shake it off and groan. I don't recognize these hands, but there is a distinct tattoo or half a moon and sun. Certainly, this isn't Daehyun or anyone else I know because I can't recall anyone having a tattoo on their wrist. I shake the thought off and enter my next and final class for today.


Author's Note:

 Hopefully, I'm not confusing everyone with the constant mystery, but I promise you everything will be explained with time. I hope you enjoyed it nonetheless. Comments and upvotes and very much appreciated (:

  With Love,

                 LokiCraze123