Episode 1: Start

Forever and a Dae

Echoes - Haunt


  I discovered my strange "powers" by the time I turned four and became aware of the world around me. Numbers floated on top of people's head and seemed to decrease each year or when they used strange substances that could harm their own body. Being four at that time, my parents didn't believe me when I saw my grandma with a zero on top of her head. They told me that it was all my imagination. I believed it for a time until a month later, we learned that Grandma had a heart attack.

  I didn't think much about it because why would a child correspond a number with death? A child wouldn't be thinking of those things. For years, I pay no mind to the numbers, not until I reached twelve-years-old. I grew more curious about the numbers and took note of each and every person who had a number less than ten years. Most of my classmmates had numbers over fifty, but there was one girl in particular who had the number twenty above her head. It made me think, "Why does she have such a short number?" So, I befriended her.

  Her name was Baek Su Min. She was an only child with strict parents. She didn't have many friends and she tended to sit by herself, reading a book or daydreaming. I would say she was the strangest girl I have ever met. When I first came into contact with her, she seemed cautious of me, almost as if I was some suspicious person. Being the persistent boy I was, I did my best to make sure that I was no threat. After a few weeks, we became friends and I noticed her number increased a few years.

  By the time we reached high school, her number increased from twenty to thirty. By this time, I knew what these numbers indicated. These numbers correspond with how many years they have left in their life, and it looks like, by meeting me, Su Min had an extra ten years. My next goal was to increase it over fifty years. To do so, I did everything I could to make her happy, and it seemed to work. She smiled more, her confidence grew, and her number increased. I knew at this rate, her number will be just like every other person around me.

  Or at least that's what I believed.

  It wasn't until we reached our second year of high school did her number start to drop. I didn't understand why until I found her sitting at a cafe with a boy in front of her. I didn't think much about it until they kissed. I watched as her number dropped another year. I tried convincing her to break up with him, but she wouldn't listen. We argued and fought. I didn't know what was wrong with me. I even made her cry. I even told her that she will never be happy with a guy like him. It was then when I saw her number dropped to ten years.

  I made a mistake. I knew I did. She slapped me and ran away from me. Because of those words, I caused her great pain, but I didn't know what to do. I didn't know what to say. It was my fault, but I was too stubborn to even say, "I'm sorry."

  By the time I had the courage to say those two words, she had disappeared from my life forever.

  Months before her death, her boyfriend broke up with her. Her grades dropped, causing great pressure on herself as her parents repremanded her. The friends she had were not enough. I knew she needed me, but I was just too stupid to realize how troubled she was. I remember seeing her number dropped to five, but I didn't get to see it at zero because she never showed up at school for a week.

  As I stood by the casket, I noticed how neatly her hands were folded on top of each other. Even with all the makeup, I could make out a faint line on her wrist and my heart felt heavy. If only I was there for her when she needed me. If only I didn't argue with her. If only I didn't have these powers to see people's life span. Maybe then, I wouldn't be so overprotective of her. If I had just let life play its part, then maybe I wouldn't have lost her so early.

  Why do I have these powers?

  "Hello child. What's your name?" A strange man asked me with a soft voice.

  I stared up at the strange man. His face was completely blurred and I saw no number above his head. Despite not knowing who this man was, I didn't feel afraid. There was this kind aura surrounding him as if he was being careful of his actions and words. I reached out with my tiny hands and touched his warm palms, causing me to feel secure. "Youngjae. My name is Youngjae," I said.

  He knelt in front of me and took my hands into his. The warmth was comforting as if I felt them before. I knew it was not my parents nor anyone else I was close with, for these hands were rough and filled with age. But he wasn't old. He gave a vibe of an old soul, but the features I could make out were young. The man chuckled. "Youngjae, huh?" There's a long pause, as he was probably looking into my eyes.

  I shifted my weight and dropped my gaze. My cheeks flushed.

  "Little Youngjae, do you believe in guardian angels?"

  I raised my head and gave him a questioning look. I could hear my mom calling my name in the distance.

  Suddenly, the strange man pressed his lips on my forehead. "May we meet again, Youngjae. I promise, the next time we meet, I will always protect you." At those words, he handed me something and closed my fist. "I hope you won't forget me," his voice was fleeting and almost sad. I was not able to say anything as he strode away from me.

  With his back turned, I opened my fist and found a necklace with a gold, paper airplane charm. It's a little rusty but the chain seemed new. I didn't understand why this strange man gave it to me, but I couldn't bring myself to give it up. Before I knew it, I found myself wrapping the chain around my neck and carressed the smoothe charm.

  Waking up with the sun hitting my face, I find myself reaching for my phone to check the time. I groan when I realize I woke up ten minutes before my alarm. It's not enough to go back to sleep, but it's just enough time for me to lay in bed. I look over my bedside table and see the necklace hanging on my small lamp light. Ever since that encounter when I was ten, I never saw that man ever again. If I didn't have this pendant, then all of it would seem like a dream.

  Today's my first day as a college student, and I am so indifferent about it. I didn't plan on befriending anyone just yet which is why I'm living in an apartment all by myself. There are choices to have a random roommate assigned to you, but I didn't want to deal with it. I just can't bear seeing the lifespan of my roommate every time he comes home or on campus.

  There will be plenty of students on campus, and seeing all their numbers above their head is distracting, but I learned how to ignore them. I even avoid people who's lifespan are lower than others. I just can't bear to handle another situation like years ago. I will need to keep my distance with people. Yes, that is the goal. I manage to do it for the rest of my hgh school years, so hopefully it'll be easier now.

  I get ready and drive on campus. As I'm walking, numbers float everywhere I go. They all ranged from twenty to over seventy-five years. None seem to fall under to my relief. I gaze up at the sky. As someone who can see people's lifespan, I can't see mine. I'm glad I can't because if I did know, then I would be paranoid about everything.

  I head to my first class in the science building. Room B110. Intro to Biology. 9:05. Apparently, this is the biggest classroom in the building. Perfect. I will see plently of numbers flying, but that also means I can easily blend in with the crowd. I enter the room. It's like a small auditorium with the seats lining up by rows and extending up to the top. I make my way up the stairs and sit at the end of the row. Since it's still early, not many students are around. I unpack my things and pull out the small desk to place my notebook on top. Ah, this year will definitely be interesting.

  I twirl my pencil around, waiting for the time to pass. Students from my high school also enter the classroom, but they are none I'm close with. They simply make their way through the room and sit where they can save seats for their other friends. I heave a sigh. Being invisible will be easier than I intended.

  In the middle of my blank thoughts, someone passes by me and sits on the seat next to me. I ignore him and continue twirling my pencil. Damn. I was hoping no one would care to sit next to me.

  "My name is Himchan. What's yours?" The student next to me greets.

  I mentally groan. Now, he wants to talk to me. I turn towards him. My eyes land on the number on top of his head. Seems like he'll be living until he's around his 80's. "I'm Youngjae. Nice to meet you." I do the usual greeting and hold out my hand to him.

  He grins and takes my hand. "Are you a freshman?"

  I nod. "And what about you?"

  "Sophomore. If you ever need any help getting around campus and knowing a few things about this school, you can ask me. I'll do my best to answer any questions you have."

  "Sure." Even if I say that, I really don't want to get close to him. In fact, I'm pretty sure I can figure things out for myself. After all, I'm pretty independent.

  "You should definitely come out to Late Night. It's this Friday, and you get to see all the organizations that are offered here. It's also a nice time to get some free stuff. I'm actually part of-"

  "I'm not really interested in joining club activities," I state, wanting to end this conversation here. It's no use. No matter how much he wants to talk to me, I won't let him become anything closer than acquaintances.

  Himchan looks a bit hurt, but doesn't say anything more about it. Instead, he asks, "Are you interested in becoming study partners?"

  I stare at him. He really doesn't understand my social cues. If I continue to refuse he will either become really insistant or he will stop. Based on what's happening right now, he seems to be the type to not give up. I sigh in defeat. Maybe being study partners isn't too bad. After all, I'll only see him whenever I need to, and even though we will sit next to each other here, it's not like I will talk to him while the professor is lecturing. "Fine. We can be study partners."

  His eyes sparkle at the idea. "Great. Can I have you number?"

  I hand him my phone. This is only the first day and I'm already giving someone my number. Great. This is a great start. I was hoping to be invisible, but that's just not happening with a guy like this one sitting next to me. As he types his number on my phone, my eyes skim the area once again. The professor is here, setting up the PowerPoint at the front of the room and a few more students are making their way inside.

  Ah, so many numbers.

  Just as I'm about to check if Himchan is done, I find myself staring at the door opening once more. Normally, I would simply look away, not caring about another face in the classroom, but this time, I'm glued to this person. A shiver runs up my spine. A boy walks in, backpack over his shouder and a bright smile on his face. My eyes trail upward where his number should be, but instead of a number, I see a symbol. An infinity sign.

  I find myself trembling. An infinity sign? Why would someone have an infinity over their head? My eyes went back to the boy and I freeze. Our eyes meet. He grins widely at me and winks. I in a breath, Just who is this guy?


Author's Note:

  Sorry if so many things happened in one chapter, but this is an intro to the story! I hope you liked it! Thank you for reading!

With Love,

                  LokiCraze123