player😛(eunrong)

📖~apink short stories collection~📖

 

We have been taught from young that life is about graduating high school, getting into a good university, finding a job that pays well and marrying someone that you will spend the rest of your life with.

 

That’s what everyone expects.

 

But that isn’t necessarily the case.

 

Jung Eunji doesn’t believe in this philosophy. She’s the type who enjoys life to the fullest. She doesn’t care what others think about her. She does things her way and that’s why, she’s earned herself a nickname in high school.

 

“The Player”.

 

No, she is not an athlete. While she may have a few tricks up her sleeve in basketball despite her small size, that’s not the definition you’re looking for.

 

Everyone on campus knows her. Whether it be classmates, teachers, seniors, juniors, even the janitor, ring her name and they will nod, hum and then, sigh. A social butterfly but also a delinquent. Dig a bit deeper and you will come across her exes.

 

Many exes.

 

It’s uncountable.

 

She’s played the hearts of both boys and girls, spending a couple of weeks, sometimes months in a “serious” relationship before breaking off just because it isn’t “fun” anymore.

 

She’ll forget everything about the time spent together, pressing the delete button and you’re nothing but a stranger. Some people call her a “”, a “” and honestly, Eunji does not give a single .

 

So, its in the middle of summer of her second year.

 

She’s at the school rooftop with her friends, when she’s supposed to be in class. Cards are laid out on the floor as a bottle is placed flat in the center. Seated in a circle with her friends, it’s that time of the season again. The time to see who will be “the chosen one” that Eunji will have the date— the minimum requirement, one week.

 

“Man, the last one was your longest. I guess having the school beauty in your hands was real fun huh?” Bomi sneered, casually hanging her arm around Eunji. “We all thought that you were being serious with Naeun. But turns out, you two broke up after six months. Six months!”

 

“And of course, her friends came ing around because she cried and all. Uh, always wanting to make a whole drama out of things.” Minah rolled her eyes, taking some potato chips from the bag.

 

“Girls are just so complicated. It’s such a pain to date them” Ravi scoffed confidently, twisting the soda bottle open as it fizzed.

 

“And that’s why you’re going to stay single your whole life unless you turn out to be a gay, like me!” Key slapped the boy’s shoulder with a tease, causing Ravi to shoot a threatening glare at him.

 

“Alright, alright.” Eunji stopped her friends starting a physical fight. “Enough chit chat. Let’s start, shall we?” She leaned forward and spun the bottle.

 

The group looked on carefully with intense, excited eyes. Soon, the momentum slowed down and the bottle pointed at a card, Eunji picked it up and flipped it over, eyes widened as she read the name written on it.

 

“Wow.”

 

That was the only word that came out of , she began to laugh nervously. But she wasn’t scared. She loves challenges. And she was very confident. Holding the card up as she showed it to her friends as if she won the jackpot, her next target is:

 

Student council president, Park Chorong.

 

 

---

 

 

It’s assembly day and the time where the student council members run spot checks on everyone before they enter the hall. Lining up one by one, they will scan from head to toe, ensuring that they all fit the requirements in the book. Trimmed fingernails, no makeup, accessories, skirt not above the thighs, the usual boring setting.

 

And of course, there’s the troublesome bunch.

 

It isn’t high school when everyone is a goody two shoes.

 

She sighs, staring at the noisy group, not having a single respect for the rest. No matter how much she nagged them, placed them into the detention for reflection, all that proved to no good. Her eyes narrowed down to the girl in the middle, the center of attraction and the top target on the list.

 

After all, she’s caused so much trouble last year. Who could forget the girl, Jung Eunji?

 

She recalls everything so vividly.

 

That one time where she saw Eunji kissing her girlfriend, boyfriend in the corridor whatever- she doesn’t care but display of affection in public (PDA) is against the rules.

 

Or, that other time she spotted Eunji and her friends sharing a cigarette while they were squatting behind the garden, she slapped them with a suspension. Well, Eunji wasn’t the one smoking but she’s still an accomplice.

 

 Chorong follows the textbook very strictly and obeys it like the Bible. She’s very dedicated to her job as president and no one can shut her down.

 

“Yo, what’s up president!” 

 

Chorong remained unamused at the friendly greeting, eyes scanning down to Eunji wearing pants underneath her skirt. “Take this off.” She ordered. “Now.”

 

“No.”

 

She’s testing her patience and it’s boiling her inside. The fact that Eunji’s just grinning so widely at her like its nothing. The fact how she’s just so happy-go-lucky and having not a care in the world.

 

Oh, she despised that so much.

 

“I suppose you like going to detention.”

 

“Why, sure.” Eunji dragged her tone. “It’s a lot better than going to classes.”

 

That’s it.

 

She’s had enough.

 

This girl in front of her has ticked the president completely.

 

“Well. Have fun in the detention Jung Eunji. I will look forward to you handing up not one, not two, but ten papers of your reflection at my office later.” Chorong smiled in such a threatening manner, it could literally send chills up your spine.

 

Eunji felt that and no, she was not scared at all. In fact, she loved it. She loved how Chorong was so different from all of the people she’s played around with.

 

She’s so hard to get that it was much more worth to win her heart.

 

 

---

 

 

“There you go. Ten papers as requested.”

 

Eunji plopped it on the desk, dusting her hands off and staring at the president who remained unamused, scanning it through and later, heaving a sigh.

 

“I don’t have time for your bull, Eunji.”

 

“Oh my, the president curses.” The girl covers her hand over , acting surprised with a gasp. She probably should consider joining the Drama Club at this point.

 

Not taking any more of her nonsense, Chorong shoved the paper directly into Eunji’s face. On each paper and each line, she wrote “I love the president, Park Chorong. Long live the student council president, Park Chorong” on repeat until there was no space left.

 

The writer snickered, arms folded. “Do you like it? I put all of my effort and love in it.” She was overflowing with confidence, sure that the president will at least blush or react in a coy manner.

 

But oh, she was so wrong. Wrong for messing with the president.

 

One second was all it took. Chorong grabbed hold of a wooden ruler and slammed it on top of head, causing Eunji to yelp in pain, staggering backwards as her eyes shot wide open, only to witness a glare, so fearful, that it resembled Satan coming back to haunt her.

 

She forgotten that the rumors were true— one should never make the student council president angry otherwise one has dug its own grave. She wasn’t sure if she was hallucinating but Eunji thought she may have seen a ferocious tiger in her eyes, coming to dig deep into her skin.

 

“Do this one more time and you’re going to regret it, Jung Eunji.” Chorong growled, threating to deliver another blow to her head with the ruler in her hand.

 

“O-Okay! Okay! Whoa, chill out, girl! Kill me and you’ll be in court for murder!”

 

“Yeah, right. A hit like that will only cause a bruise, nothing more.” Her terrifying aura evaporated into thin air, the president that everyone knows, finally returned. “Go home. It’s late.”

 

“And what about you?”

 

“That is none of your concern.”

 

Eunji hummed, feet eventually sliding off to the door. “Okay. I’ll see you tomorrow then, president!” She grinned, waving at her, but obviously, Chorong ignored her, returning back to her duties.

 

 

---

 

 

There is still a lot in Eunji’s sleeves. She’s an experienced player, she’s tried several trials and errors to win the hearts of others, this should be no problem. Each day, she tested the waters with different methods.

 

One. Eunji spots Chorong during her routine check and waves at her. And yup, the president walks past her as if she was air.

 

Two. Eunji notices Chorong in the canteen and attempts a conversation. She sits down across the table and shouts a loud “Hi!” but the president ignores her, stands up and leaves, not even making eye contact with her.

 

Three. Eunji sees Chorong along the corridor, hands full with a stack of textbooks as she is headed for the staff room. She goes in and lends a help, but Chorong simply brushes her away and says, “I can handle this myself fine, thank you very much” in a sarcastic tone.

 

Four. Eunji arrives at the student council room and pesters Chorong with random questions about the school, subjects and—Chorong hits her with that same wooden ruler, screaming at her to find something else better to do.

 

Rubbing her head with a bag of ice, her friends laughed as they listened to her failed attempts. Here she was at the rooftop again, playing cards during a time where they should be in class.

 

“I’m telling you, don’t with the president!” Minah warned with a mixture of laughter and snort, choosing a card and tossing it onto the pile.

 

“Can you believe that out of everyone you’ve dated, this is the first one you’re failing so badly at?” Bomi said, trying not to laugh as her eyes were focused on the cards.

 

“Let’s see, Naeun, Wendy, Soyoung, Inguk, Wongeun, Suho, Ailee…” Key paused his counting fingers and stared at Eunji. “Okay, the president is way out of your league. Maybe you should just give up.”

 

“Maybe you should consider getting back together with Naeun.” Ravi muttered, as he huffed a cigarette.

 

“Hey, I don’t go back on my word.” Eunji said, standing from her feet. “I still have one more card left.” She smirks, confidence still burning inside.

 

 

---

 

 

It’s something no one has ever imagined.

 

Everyone gasped. Even the teacher was surprised to see the popular, always missing Eunji in class, seated at her desk and actually paying attention. She takes out her textbook, starts writing notes and skipped her usual rooftop naps. It was to a point where her friends asked if she was sick because this was totally not Jung Eunji behavior.

 

But this was all a plan to make Chorong closer.

 

The last resort: follow what the president likes. Become the person she wants. If the president wants someone who is an ideal student, then hell yeah, Eunji is up for the challenge.

 

It goes on for about a week.

 

And then, Eunji decides to pay a visit to the student council, not on a whim but because her teacher actually sent her out for an errand. One knock and two, she hears Chorong muttering  “Come in” and she happily opens the door, hoping to see a change in her cold, scary personality.

 

“Hi.”

 

Chorong takes one glance at her, and returns back to the work.

 

Guess it didn’t really work. But Eunji doesn’t give up however. She walks up to her, and asks, “Mr. Lee wants a list of the clubs and societies that are taking part in this year’s annual festival.”

 

The president looks up at her and finally speaks, “It’s over there, in the second drawer.” She points towards the direction, eyes returning back to her work. Eunji heads over, has the list in her hand and gets ready to leave.

 

“Jung Eunji.”

 

Her hand pauses midway as she is about to reach for the door knob. She turns around to see Chorong finally looking straight into her eyes.

 

“Don’t think that I’m stupid. I know everything behind your motives and your game. Stop wasting your time here. I hope that you know that I will never say yes to being your girlfriend. Please find someone else to play with or you can make use of that free time to study.”

 

Eunji stood there stunned. How did she know? She just saw through her plan like a thin sheet of paper.

 

“Indeed, you’re not called the president for nothing. But.” She forms a smile. “I don’t give up easily once I land my eyes on something.”

 

Just as she moves her feet, Chorong shoots her with another question. “Do you even like me?”

 

That’s a good question and Eunji found herself staring at her blankly again. “Are you even genuine with what you’re doing? What’s the point of toying with people who are sincere with their feelings? Do you like torture? Are you a sadist?

 

She makes a point. And Eunji doesn’t want to stay in this room any longer, before Chorong traps her into another sticky web.

 

“Maybe I do. Maybe I don’t. Who knows?” She shrugs, quickly escaping as she shuts the door behind, taking a deep breath as if she barely brushed through death.

 

But she likes it.

 

Chorong is so different unlike anyone else she’s ever come across.

 

One part, she’s cold. The other, a sharp tongue. Yet, she is able to have such a respected and feared figure in school. She masks them with a warm smile to teachers and a threatening smile to students.

 

“Wow, Park Chorong.” She mumbles to herself in amazement. “You’re really one of a kind. I like it.”

 

 

---

 

 

On a Friday, Eunji decides to stay back and wait for Chorong.

 

She’s been keeping a close eye on her and knows her schedules at the tip of her fingers. For sure, the president is a hard worker. After classes, she will stay in her office and work till six. Then, she will run final checks around the school before taking leave.

 

But she doesn’t want to make it obvious, knowing that Chorong’s eagle eyes are everywhere. Instead, Eunji decides to play basketball with the team who are happy to see her active again. She shoots a few hoops, takes part in a couple of games and then, it’s five. She waves goodbye to the members and heads upstairs to the empty corridor where the student council office is.

 

She peeks in carefully, the room still brightly lit and Chorong’s there, on her desk as she’s reviewing a whole stack of papers, probably related to the upcoming festival and stuff. Eunji’s not bothered but she wonders how is someone able to work so diligently without any fun in her life.

 

If Eunji were to be in Chorong’s shoes, she’ll die from boredom.

 

Chorong lifts her head up, their eyes locking onto each other. For a moment, Eunji freezes and notices a sigh from the president and that was enough to cause her to smile widely. Strangely, she likes it whenever Chorong sighs.

 

That slight irritation and annoyance that is quite clear on her expression, it’s somewhat attractive.

 

She slides the door open. “Good evening, president.”

 

“Did you come to pester me again, or are you going to confess to me? I won’t waste your time so I will say no, I don’t like you so please get out.”

 

“Wow, you sure read my mind, perfectly well, but that’s not what I’m here for, president.” Eunji grinned, casually collapsing her body onto the couch which is normally meant for teachers and advisors to sit. “Oh, this is comfy.” She stretches and spreads her legs up, getting comfortable.

 

“What do you want, Jung Eunji?”

 

“Oh, nothing. Don’t mind me. I’m just going to take a nap.” She says, closing her eyes shut. But obviously, she’s pretending to sleep. After a couple minutes, Eunji peeks in and sees Chorong working again, completely ignoring her.

 

Not surprising.

 

But the student turns around to get a better view of the president, eyes locked on her target.

 

She’s able to fully embrace the image of Chorong, as if she was watching a movie of a hard working student.

 

The sounds of pencil scribbles, papers flipping and creaks of the chair, boy, they were like ASMR and Eunji fell deep into dreamland. Napping away, it was much better compared to the rooftop where the ground was hard and the sun is blazing hot.

 

Eunji doesn’t know how long she’s slept but she wakes up to a ruler poking her elbow. She opens her eyes and sees the devil in front of her. Her glare so terrifying, but Eunji has gotten used to it.

 

“Is it morning already?”

 

“No. It’s 7pm, idiot. You should head home.” Chorong responds coldly, reaching for the lights as the room goes dark. She pulls the door open and takes one last look at her. “The guard is going to find you even if you decide to spend the night here.”

 

Eunji jumps from the couch, dusts her pants and holds onto the door. “Obviously, my bed is more comfortable. I came here to see you.”

 

Chorong scoffs, clearly not having any of Eunji’s “sweet” words as she waits for Eunji to step out, and locks the door, keys in her pocket and walks off, ignoring Eunji who was standing beside her.

 

“You sure work hard.”

 

Chorong doesn’t reply her, but Eunji keeps going.

 

“Is it fun? Staying in the office all day?”

 

Eunji glances over and Chorong’s eyes are just on the floor. As the two walk out of the school gates, she follows her and the president finally comes to a halt, turning around to face her.

 

“Stop following me.” She said with a frown, a clear indication of annoyance written all over her face.

 

“I’m not following you. My house is in this direction!”

 

Chorong sighs, turns back and continues walking with Eunji following behind. They keep walking, up the hills and deep into a small neighborhood. There’s a row of terraced houses, cars parked at the side and street lights illuminating the way. It’s already dark and it’s just the two of them.

 

Chorong turns around again as if to check if Eunji’s still there and…she’s right. The delinquent is walking behind her, hands in her pocket.

 

“I’m going to call the police!” She threatens, taking out her phone.

 

“Oh come on! I live here!”

 

She eyes at Eunji suspiciously. “Don’t lie.”

 

“I do!” The girl skips forward and heads to the steps up onto the left red brick house. She turned around. “See? I stay here, number 20!”

 

Chorong gaped. “No way.” Her voice dropped, speechless as she walked up the steps of the opposite house, number 22.

 

“Oh?” Eunji tilts her head in surprise, turning into a grin. “I didn’t know we are neighbors!”

 

 

---

 

 

Luck is on her side.

 

Eunji just found a new way to keep her game going. She has a proper excuse to pester Chorong at the office until she leaves because they live side by side.

 

In fact, she’s never noticed it.

 

Perhaps it was because Chorong wakes up really early while Eunji leaves a bit later, so they have never crossed paths. It’s the same with school as well. Once the bell rings, Eunji goes to Hongdae with her friends, they have fun and return at midnight while Chorong, being the good daughter, returns before curfew hours.

 

So, the plan goes like this.

 

After school hours, Eunji drops by the student council office and waits for Chorong to finish. She calls it her “napping hour” and uses the couch as her bed. Surprisingly, the president doesn’t shoo her off. Maybe that’s a sign of progression or Chorong gave up.

 

Once it’s time to go, Chorong switches off the lights and Eunji will jump off the couch. The two will walk back home together. She uses this time to start a conversation with the president but almost, always, she gives the cold shoulder.

 

Eventually, Eunji decides to “talk to herself” because either way, Chorong will be forced to listen to her words and it doesn’t matter if she doesn’t respond, because a relationship starts when one side reveals a part of their life.

 

“Don’t you think puppies are cute? All my friends say that I look like one.”

 

“I’m an egg lover. When I cook ramen, I put 3 to 5 eggs in! That’s just how much I love them!”

 

“Actually, my dream is to become a singer. I have this habit of humming randomly out of nowhere and if something pops up in my mind, I will write lyrics!”

 

Even though Chorong never replied, Eunji knew that she was listening. She paid close attention to her. Even the slightest twitches and movements in her facial expressions were enough as proof.

 

Eunji continues it like it’s a routine.

 

Every. Single. Day.

 

And suddenly, autumn’s here.

 

A romantic season.

 

But that also means, preparations for the festival is busier than ever and… there’s the upcoming examinations as well. Well, that doesn’t concern Eunji the very least but for Chorong, that’s serious business.

 

She stays in the student council even longer, piling herself with tons of work whether it be related to school, club or other relating issues and Eunji sits in the same couch, observing her.

 

As much as she wants to help her out, the delinquent is in no position to do so. She’s bad at math so, no point in calculation problems. She has no idea what’s happening around school because she naps in class.

 

Chorong stood up from her seat, heading to one of the drawers to get something but all of a sudden, she stumbles. Luckily, Eunji catches her in time. Hands around her waist and in such close distance, the two girls stared at each other momentarily until the president shoved her away.

 

“You okay?” Eunji asked, to which Chorong brushes it off. “Yeah. Just haven’t been sleeping much.”

 

And she goes back to ignoring her. Eunji shrugs and sits back down.

 

 For some reason, she doesn’t nap today. After what happened, she decides to look after Chorong. Watching the president return to her desk, she places a file down and sighs. She doesn’t sit, but her fingers rub her forehead.

 

“Hey. I think you should go home early.” Eunji walks up to her, but halts at Chorong pushing the girl away.

 

“Mind your own business.”

 

“You don’t have to act like this when- “

 

Chorong falls, and Eunji catches her again. This time, the president doesn’t have the energy to push her away. She feels the younger girl’s palm on her forehead and she gasps, pulling her close.

 

“You have a fever!”

 

“I- Leave me alone…” Her head’s spinning and even though she does want Eunji’s help, she doesn’t want to admit it. If she does, Eunji will win this game. And that’s what she hates. She knows that Eunji is just playing with her.

 

All of these is fake.

 

She isn’t genuine.

 

She never is.

 

Chorong doesn’t trust Eunji.

 

Yet, despite all her protests, Eunji easily lifts her from the ground, forces her onto the couch and returns back to the desk, collecting Chorong’s school bag. She hangs it around her arm, puts her bag onto the other arm and takes a deep breath. Walking back to Chorong, she crouches down and asks her to climb onto her back.

 

“G-go away!”

 

Obviously, the president refuses.

 

“Fine. Looks like I’ll have to do this myself, stubborn president.” Eunji rolls her eyes, turning her heel round as she stares at Chorong.

 

Easily lifting the girl into her arms, carrying her in a bridal-style, the president could not escape as the delinquent was obviously stronger. Kicking the door open, Eunji switches off the lights and walks out.

 

Onto the usual path back home, the road is now decorated with beautiful, maple leaves of orange and red. It’s quiet and all Chorong hears is Eunji’s heavy breaths.

 

“I-I’m fine now…”

 

“You sure?” Eunji breathed, looking down. She’s so close that now, she sees everything in full detail.

 

Chorong’s delicate eyelashes, those gleaming orbs and moist lips smeared by gloss. Gee, the president is actually pretty in a scene like this. Or maybe, it’s just autumn making it seem that way.

 

“I know what you’re thinking.” Eunji hums. “My so-called kindness is fake and I’m going to force you into asking you to become my girlfriend.” She chuckled, putting Chorong down. “The answer is no.”

 

The president stares at her, slightly embarrassed that she was in her arms for about a full 10 minutes. She fixes her skirt awkwardly but still in a defensive mode. “What do you mean?”

 

“I already know what type of person you are. You jump to conclusions real quick.” Eunji stared at her with a cheeky grin.

 

“Although I have to admit, you’re unlike any other girls and guys that I’ve come across, but what I’m doing, isn’t some fake feeling or act. I am genuinely concerned for your wellbeing and I highly suggest that you should be going home.”

 

Noticing that Chorong doesn’t seem to respond to her lengthy statement, Eunji sighs and bowed. “Shall we head home, Miss President?”

 

Chorong eyes on her for awhile, but reluctantly continues walking with Eunji following behind. The sudden dizziness she felt earlier has gone. Honestly, at that moment, she would’ve just turned around and returned back to the office. The walk isn’t that far.

 

But strangely, the president decided to listen to the delinquent.

 

Upon arriving at the entrance of her home. Chorong realizes that her bag isn’t with her.

 

She turns around, only to catch it in her hands.

 

“Wow, it’s amazing how you didn’t even ask for your bag. Am I your servant or something?” Eunji asks jokingly.

 

Chorong says nothing, turns her heel around as her back faces Eunji. But she stands there for a moment.

 

“Hm? What? Don’t tell me you’re planning to go back to school? Oh my god, are you serious? Look, you’re having a fever and you should know better that- “

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I said thank you, okay?!” Chorong yells angrily, opening the gate as she steps in, shutting it behind.

 

Eventually, she disappears into her house but Eunji stood outside, staring blankly as she blinked several times. Did she hear that right? The president thanked her.

 

After letting that thought settle, she smiles. Widely. And then, scoffing as she looked up at the brick house.

 

“Wow. Park Chorong. You make me feel things that I’ve never felt with anyone else.” She clutched tightly onto her shirt, feeling the thump of her heart dancing away.

 

 

---

 

 

When morning arrives, rumors are already spreading like wildfire.

 

Students who stayed back for club activities witnessed a sight that felt so rare and unreal. The popular delinquent and player of the school was carrying the feared, respected president in her arms.

 

Eunji sat in the classroom as if it was nothing. She was listening to music, one earphone in, the other was to hear her classmates spread the gossip.

 

“Hey, Jung Eunji! Is it true? Did you really carry the president out?”

 

“Wow, you’re really something. How far are you going to play out your games?”

 

“It’d be really amazing if you and the president started dating!”

 

“If they did, how long would they last though?”

 

“, let’s start betting!”

 

She snickered, their words going in and out of her ears. Eventually, she turned and stared at the group surrounding her.

 

“Everyone, I simply did my job as a good student. The president was sick and she was being persistent, so I sent her home, my way. That’s all.”

 

Eunji plugged both earphones and blocked the other noise. She didn’t really care much. Gossip is gossip. They are mere assumptions and no one actually knows the full story.

 

Lunch break.

 

She’s back at the rooftop, laughing away with her friends who heard the story. They are amazed at how far the relationship has progressed and as the audience watching by the side, they couldn’t wait to see when Chorong will finally say yes.

 

“You know what, guys? I think it’s time for me to finally settle down.” Eunji says, staring at the clear blue skies. It’s a cooling autumn weather with not much sunlight around.

 

“What do you mean Eunji?”

 

“I’m saying the president is going to be my last call. I’m retiring from this whole game.”

 

Her friends said “Huh?!” in unison, confused by Eunji’s decisions. But even so, her decisions never made sense anyway.

 

The delinquent turned and flashed a smile. “I’ve decided!” She stood up.

 

“There’s only one person in the world that I will never want to break up with. She never gets boring, no matter day or night. Spring or summer. I get really excited whenever I meet her and she makes every other day, interesting.”

 

From the way she speaks, her gaze, they knew it all. It was an expression that they’ve never seen on Eunji’s face.

 

The feelings of falling in love.

 

Eunji has never felt this way.

 

She thinks about Chorong in her sleep. She wonders about what Chorong might be doing at home. She wants to ask Chorong about many things. She wants to spend the whole weekend with her.

 

Her heart flutters so differently when it comes to her. It was never like this compared to all the other boys and girls she’s dated.

 

They never made her feel like this. It was just fun and games. She wanted to play around, enjoy the company of others, surround herself in the act of a “girlfriend” role.

 

But maybe it’s about time that she started thinking about it seriously.

 

Maybe her mother is right.

 

Eventually in the course of life, she will fall in love with someone. And that someone will be the person that she wants to be with forever, till she dies. Walking along the path of life together in the time of happiness and sorrow.

 

She found that person.

 

Park Chorong.

 

 

---

 

 

In a blink of an eye, it’s time for the annual autumn festival.

 

For everyone, it’s a moment to forget the stress of academics and enjoy the fun. Organized by clubs, committees and respective classes, food and beverage stalls are lined up along the school field, courtyard and corridors. There’s fun and games, performances from the drama and music club and the most anticipated event, the haunted house.

 

Eunji spends the whole day with her friends. Her group is the loudest among everyone. They laugh and cheer, sometimes dancing in the middle of the hallway or cracking up jokes. It’s a high atmosphere and they are just having a good time. But that is until, Eunji spots the president.

 

It’s amazing how her eyes manage to spot such a tiny girl among many. She’s so attracted to her. Like a magnet pulled to the other pole. She can’t resist it.

 

“Hey, hold this for me.” Eunji hands her iced drink to Bomi, feet naturally walking the the direction of the president.

 

“Where are you going?” Bomi shouts but Minah nudges her, raising her eyebrows as they notice Chorong in the crowd. The two friends snicker and decide to leave the two alone.

 

Eunji isn’t surprised when Chorong ignores her upon a simple “Hi”. She follows her until the end, up the stairs and onto the second floor. Eventually, her feet come to a halt as she turns around, frowning at Eunji with much annoyance, an expression that the girl loves so much.

 

“You look like you’re avoiding someone, President. Must be me huh?” Eunji chuckles, hearing her favourite sigh from Chorong.

 

“What do you want?”

 

“You’re alone so I thought you might want some company.”

 

“I’m not here to have fun, unlike you. I have work to do.”

 

“Oh.” Eunji’s tone dropped. “Let me guess, running checks on the stalls to make sure no one is burning the place down?”

 

Chorong nods and the girl hums back, following her again. The president doesn’t turn around as she knows it’s no point trying to shoo her away. She certainly didn’t sign up to have a dog following her around.

 

The president does what she is supposed to do: ensuring that the festival is running smoothly without any problems.

 

Eunji confidently walks beside her, certainly gaining stares from everyone and she doesn’t mind.  She runs through checks, have small chats with students and greets outsiders with a bow, telling them to have a good time and promoting the school. That is her duty after all.

 

The student council president is the face of the school.

 

“So…are you done yet?”

 

Chorong sighs as Eunji stands in front of her, blocking the way. She’s grinning widely, excitedly swaying her body like a puppy wagging its tail.

 

Surprisingly, the president says something that makes Eunji’s eyebrows to raise up in surprise, opening in an “o” shape.

 

“I heard the haunted house is doing well among the other stalls. Do you…want to go there with me?”

 

It’s hard to take her serious because she’s saying it with such a straight face. Eunji blinks twice and makes sure that it is the president that she’s talking too.

 

“Wait, did I hear that right? You want to go to the haunted house?”

 

“Y-yeah. It’s my duty to see how much effort the students have put into making this- “ The remaining words are shut by Eunji grabbing onto her hand as she leads the way.

 

Chorong doesn’t say anything else, instead she looks down at their hands intertwined with each other, the warmth she is feeling and the strength of Eunji’s grip. Sure, she’s held hands before with girls. Boys too. But there’s something different about Eunji’s.

 

All that thinking and in the blink, the two are at the entrance of the haunted house.

 

Screams could be heard from inside, it’s pitch black and the only thing decorated at the front are creepy masks and sculptures of famous horror characters. There’s a sudden swallow in Chorong’s stomach that makes her hesitant. She’s regretting this decision immediately and honestly, it isn’t really necessary to do this…right?

 

Eunji notices the sudden glint of fear in the president’s eyes, immediately sparking an idea. Without even asking Chorong’s permission, she buys an entry for two at the counter.

 

“H-Hey, I didn’t say that I’m going to…”

 

“Too late.” Eunji pulls her tongue out in a tease. “You can pay me later. Let’s go!” She grabs her hand back, confidently leading her into the haunted house.

 

The path is narrow, the walls are a little tight and there’s an eerie music playing the background.

 

“President, you doing good?” Eunji takes a peek behind and notices Chorong closing her eyes shut. She feels the sudden tighter grip around her hands and it makes her heart jump a little quicker.

 

Chorong doesn’t respond and suddenly—WAHHHH!!!

 

A “ghost” jumps through the walls, frightening Chorong with a dolphin scream and suddenly, the girl is in Eunji’s arms.

 

The delinquent is unfazed and instead, her arm secretly wraps around Chorong’s waist. “Don’t worry, I’ve got you.” She murmurs softly into her ears, the two continue to pass through the haunted house. In the middle, there are more jump scares ahead and Eunji covers Chorong’s eyes, shooing away the other “ghosts” who fail terribly at scaring her.

 

And finally, they reach the end. There is light again and the students applaud the two for finishing the haunted house.

 

“Hey president, you can let go now.”

 

One peek and Chorong flies off Eunji, creating a line between as she brushes it off with an awkward smile.

 

“R-right.”

 

Eunji notices that there is a slight flush on her face, obvious that she was blushing but the girl decides not to comment.

 

“A-anyways, I think I should go back to the office to do a bit of paperwork. Have a good time at the festival Eunji.” Chorong clears , walking off and disappearing into the corridor crowd.

 

Eunji stands there, scoffing in a laughter as she realizes the other students staring at her. It’s no surprise that people will be confused at what their relationship is considered, especially how “close” they seemed to be.

 

“What are you looking at?”

 

Immediately, everyone goes back to doing their own work as if nothing happened.

 

Eunji stays for a moment, hand on her chest as she feels it pounding hard. It’s sending shots of adrenaline through her veins, a feeling she’s never felt in a long time. She loves this and she’s sure that Chorong felt something too.

 

 

---

 

 

 

Winter’s here.

 

Snow has decorated the school in a white, pristine color and it is also exam season to wrap the year off.

 

A couple weeks ago, Eunji asked the president very nicely if she could help out in preparing for the exams. To her surprise, the player managed to score detailed notes that were filled with her neat handwriting.

 

Although Eunji doesn’t really care about exams nor her grades but this time, for once, she wants to try. It’s not that she’s finally woken up and realized that it is her fate.

 

But secretly in her heart, she yearns for Chorong’s attention. All that coldness she’s received in the past months, it’s grown dull and she wants something more…exciting.

 

So for the first time, Eunji actually studies.

 

She stays in the library, textbook open and her eyes scan through the pages. She managed to survive thirty minutes and then—she falls asleep.

 

Chorong happened to be in the library.

 

She’s checking for a particular book that will help in her studies until her eye catches the delinquent snoring away. She sighs and shakes her head, sort of knowing that this would happen anyway.

 

She walks past Eunji and slips a small note underneath, disappearing into the shelves to get what she needs and leaves. It was only another hour later, Eunji wakes up to the note, her smile grinning widely as it reads:

 

“If you are really serious in studying, come over to my house during the weekends and I will teach you.” – Park Chorong.

 

So, Eunji cancels all her plans with her friends to study with Chorong—who lives next door.

 

She’s a little nervous the moment the bell rings loudly at the small garden porch. She almost flinches at the sound of the gate opening, only to see the president, wearing something else other than her boring school uniform.

 

A simple, loose black tee, over a layer of coat and long, brown pants.

 

“Come in before I freeze to death.”

 

In her threatening tone, Eunji quickly steps in and once the door shuts, it is warm inside especially with the heated wooden flooring. She looks around cautiously, putting up her “polite” pose on.

 

“My mom’s out. And my sister is at her friend’s house.”

 

“Oh.”

 

Eunji follows Chorong upstairs and goes inside the president’s bedroom. Strangely, her heart is jumping around her chest and there’s a weird splurge of feelings going on inside her stomach.

 

A floral scent hits her nose first and she is greeted with cute plushies neatly organized on a shelf, next to thick textbooks and then, a small photo frame of what seems to be the president when she was around seven.

 

She looks adorable, especially with those baby fat on her cheeks.

 

“Let’s start shall we?” Chorong doesn’t wait and clearly doesn’t want Eunji to be staring for another second longer into her baby photo.

 

“Right! Let’s!”

 

Five minutes in, and Eunji can’t concentrate.

 

It’s not that the subject is boring. It’s because Chorong hasn’t never been this close to her. They’re sitting on the floor, books scattered on the table and she can feel Chorong’s thigh brushing against hers. She can literally smell the president’s hair. It’s like sweet flowers and the scent is making shiver.

 

“So you have to move x to the other side, then you divide this one. Got it?”

 

“Y-Yeah.”

 

Chorong stares at her, unamused. She shifts away from Eunji and hands the pen to her.

 

“Try this question.”

 

Eunji blanks out as she just stares at the paper, lines of text and the deafening silence after that. She can feel Chorong’s stares beaming through her and she doesn’t want to disappoint.

 

But, she really wasn’t paying attention because she’s just so distracted with the presence of the girl sitting next to her. Then, she hears Chorong’s sigh.

 

“Were you even paying attention?”

 

“Y-yes! Um, what do I do again with x?”

 

“Move it over to the other side.”

 

“Uh…huh…”

 

Eunji shakes her head.“Get your senses back! Otherwise I’ll really get hit and Chorong might kill me!” She scribbles an equation, deducts a couple of numbers and mumbles to herself.

 

And then, she hears a chuckle. It is faint but Eunji catches it. She looks up and for the first time, her eyes caught hold of a beautiful smile.

 

A smile that seems so rare to find, so precious to keep in that very second.

 

“Sorry I’m dumb.” Eunji shrugged. “Deal with it, Miss President.”

 

“I’ll repeat myself.” Chorong smiles again. This time, shifting herself closer and taking hold of the pen in her hand. There is not a single hint of annoyance when she speaks. “Listen carefully ok?” Gosh, she sounds so sweet and gentle unlike that hard, cold tone from before.

 

Eunji nods and this time, she pays full attention.

 

Although she has to fight off the urge of falling deep into Chorong’s ocean eyes or the tingling desire to just kiss that gloss off the president’s lips. But she’s listening and takes every note and pitch of her voice.

 

Thirty minutes in and Eunji’s managed to complete at least two pages of mathematical exercises—her brain juice is depleted.

 

Chorong isn’t done though.

 

She’s rather satisfied at Eunji’s progress and puts an English textbook on the table, pushing the mathematics one aside. But she can already see the delinquent viciously shaking her head and through her eyes.

 

It was sending her a message of “Please let me take a break otherwise I am going to ing die!” and that was enough to have her standing from her feet.

 

“I’ll get you a drink. Do you want juice, tea or water?”

 

I want you.

 

“Uh- just water will do.”  

 

Chorong nods and leaves the room.

 

Eunji collapses her body onto the floor, staring blankly at the ceiling. She moves her hand towards her chest and feels her heart bouncing around. It’s having a whole party inside and she hates how its making it so hard to control.

 

She wonders how different it will be when she touches Chorong, how different it will be when she kisses those soft, gentle lips, how different it will be to feel her warmth against hers.

 

Will it be the same like all the people she has dated?

 

But then, she’s here to study, not to make a move on her. Even if she did, Chorong might kick her out of the house and their relationship will sink back down to what it was in the very beginning.

 

But I can always risk it, right?

 

And here comes the other mind of Eunji—convincing the girl to follow her heart and not her head. It’s driving her mad and the moment she’s clouded in this internal debate, Chorong returns with a mug of warm water.

 

She’s casually taking a sip and places it on the table, settles herself back onto the floor and flips the English textbook open.

 

“Where’s mine?” Eunji asks with confused eyes.

 

Chorong looks at her, and shifts her eyes towards the mug she just drank a second ago.

 

“There.”

 

Eunji gulps. Blinks twice. And then she grabs the mug and takes a sip. She hates the fact that her mind is yelling at her internally that she’s having an indirect kiss with Chorong when she can just kiss her right now.

 

“Anyways, we can try with grammar first. Surely I don’t need to start with ABC’s right?”

 

“I may be dumb but I’m not as dumb as a baby.”

 

“Right. Try these set of questions and I’ll see how you fare.”

 

Eunji nods and goes to work on it immediately.

 

Silence continues and the girl can’t help but to occasionally glance at Chorong, wondering what she’s doing. Turns out the president is studying as well, writing down her own notes and in serious mode.

 

But maybe, it’s better that way.

 

Instead of all these wild imaginations fueling her head where she might just suddenly pin Chorong to the floor, kiss her hard and soft, pull her into her firm arms and cuddle her like a pillow perfect for the cold winters—Eunji doesn’t do any of that. She plans to save that for another time.

 

Two hours in, with Eunji asking Chorong a couple of questions, the girl listening to her tutor, learning a few tricks and tips, that’s it. The day ends like that without anything eventful besides Eunji’s heart still having a whole dance party in her chest.

 

“I’ll head home now. Thanks for today president.”

 

“Good luck.”

 

Eunji grins and gently taps onto her chest with confidence. “I’ll ace the exams for sure, especially when I’ve had special tutoring from the president herself! Stay warm and don’t catch a cold, Miss President!”

 

When the girl returns home which is just four steps away, she feels a little empty and disappointed. The excitement that was blooming in her heart has disappeared and all she wants to do now is Chorong.

 

Everything is about Chorong.

 

Is she still studying? What she is doing right now? How is she feeling about the exams? Is she stress? Is there anything I can do to help her?

 

Hundreds and thousands of questions pop into her mind that become the very cause of her tossing and turning around in bed. She can’t sleep because of a girl that’s she’s very into, yet she’s keeping her distance in fear that their relationship may tatter.

 

It’s so different compared to her confidence self.

 

Where did the Jung Eunji who had countless of girlfriends and boyfriends go?

 

Today, she’s just a shy, teenager girl who is afraid of rejection.

 

 

---

 

 

The bell rings.

 

The final day of exams are coming to a full close.

 

Eunji’s already sprinting off to the corridor after having her papers collected. She rushes to the second floor where the seniors are and stops in her steps, grinning widely as her eyes catch someone among the crowd.

 

The student council president.

 

She’s busy talking with her classmates, bag over her shoulder and when she turns her head around, their eyes meet. There’s a shy smile and she says goodbye to her friends, walking with quicker steps to meet up with Eunji.

 

The two go home together.

 

It’s a strange, complicated relationship. Or at least, that’s what everyone assumes.

 

Who would’ve thought the most problematic student in the school is friends with the scariest student council president? How do these odds even add up?

 

But with Eunji on the president’s leash, this does bring much relief to teachers. She’s surprisingly behaving well, no longer skipping classes, staying out of trouble but she still does hang out with her friends at the rooftop.

 

Chorong has been opening up more with Eunji. Having the girl stick around her for months has been mostly the cause. At first, she found her annoying. But now, that perception has changed.

 

Eunji doesn’t say anything when she’s in the student council office. She respects Chorong’s space and lets her do her work.

 

Their walks home are the only moments that they get into conversation.

 

Light ones like these.

 

 

“The canteen has this new menu up. And there’s this really awesome knife-cut noodles soup, it tastes like heaven!”

 

“I’ve tasted it. The broth is really clear and fresh. I like it.”

 

“I’m going to have to ask the canteen ahjumma for the recipe! I need it for life!”


“If you’re actually serious on doing it…could you share it with me?”

 

“Of course!”

 

 

Or deeper ones like these.

 

 

“Life is a cycle don’t you think?”

 

“It is. But it depends how you want that cycle to be. Do you want it to be a monotonous one or a vibrant one? That is your choice to be, Eunji.”

 

“Then, you chose the monotonous one? I mean, you study all day. You don’t really have any friends. Are you happy?”

 

“That’s just the way life is. Sometimes the cycle we want is hard to achieve depending on the circumstances.”

 

There’s something about the way the two look at each other.

 

No words are needed for one side to even interpret the messages. It can be a simple laugh or a glee smile, it’s so different back in the summer when everything was reset to just a feared president and the player of the school.

 

“Last day of exams but it’s so cold!” Eunji shivers, rubbing her hands against her arms.

 

Without a word, Chorong hands her an extra heat pack she has in her pocket. Eunji takes it with a smile, thanking her.

 

“Don’t get sick.”

 

“Aw, is the president worried about me?”

 

Chorong halts in her steps and looks at her. “I-I am.” She mumbles with much hesitation, avoiding eye contact.  

 

Eunji smiles widely, noticing how cute the president is with her red, flushed cheeks. She wants to cup them in her hands and maybe, kiss it warm. But instead, the two are just staring at each other.

 

The president is waiting for her to say something but Eunji just gazes deep into her orbs, lost into the dark, beautiful ocean that lures her in.

 

She can’t resist herself anymore. The girl leans in and plants a soft peck on Chorong’s cold cheek. The president freezes, eyes widened as she stared at Eunji as if she just committed a crime.

 

“W-What are you doing?”

 

“Kissing you.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because you’re cute.”

 

It takes three seconds of silence. Eunji was ready to receive a beating, a lecture or even a threat. But instead, all she mutters is, “I-I see..” and suddenly, the president is walking past Eunji.

 

The delinquent doesn’t pursue her on her comment and instead smiled widely. It was a sign and she felt confident about it. There’s this odd warmth in the air despite the shivering breeze and…

 

The walk back home marks the end of the year.

 

 

 

---

 

 

During the semester break, Eunji hangs out with her friends almost everyday. Trips to the karaoke room, cafes, arcades, you name it. Chorong on the other hand, sticks to her duty as a filial daughter and helps out her mother in the market.

 

Because they are neighbors, they will occasionally cross paths and naturally walk together to wherever the paths lead.

 

Sometimes, it can be as simple as walking to the supermarket and helping Chorong to run errands. It can also be Chorong accompanying Eunji out for her morning exercise, consisting of long strolls and jogs around the neighborhood. They talk about little happenings in the life, random things or just pure silence.

 

The sun is setting and the sky is painted in an orange hue. Standing on the bridge with the Han River below their feet, the girls stop and admire the view. Bodies leaning onto the ledge, shoulders are brushing against each other, there’s this strange, comfortable warmth left behind.

 

“Man. That’s one beautiful view.”

 

“It is.”

 

Silence followed after. It’s common and the two don’t mind.

 

“Eunji.”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Do you like me?”

 

Eunji turned to look at her, eyebrows raising in surprise but her gaze softened and suddenly, she’s smiling. “Well, isn’t that obvious? I thought you knew that since the beginning?”

 

“But eventually, you’ll stop liking me, right? Just like what you’ve done with the rest. You get into a relationship, spend time for a few months then break it off, and suddenly you don’t know them anymore. That’s who you are.”

 

“No.” The girl shook her head. “I’m not going anywhere. You’re my last one, Chorong. I know you’re not going to believe me when I say this, but, you’re different from the others. And I honestly want to spend the rest of my life with you.”

 

Another round of silence followed after as the president wasn’t quite sure how to respond to that. It was making her heart flutter a lot and already, her cheeks are flushing hot.

 

“So if I date you…then you have to promise me that you’ll never leave me.”

 

“Yeah. Wait. Huh?!” Eunji’s eyes are so wide that they might just bulge out. She’s staring at the president as if she’s speaking nonsense.

 

“Sorry.” Chorong giggled softly and looked up at the orange sky. “I’m apologizing because I judged you based on what other people said. Even though you’re annoying and sometimes give me a headache…you’re actually…a nice person.”

 

Eunji blinks twice, waiting for her to continue.

 

“I’m sorry that I’ve never really spoken much about myself to you. Its because I was being really defensive and I thought you were trash at first. But I remember everything. Like how you love eggs, your passion in singing, your favourite colour, your birthday, I know them all.” Chorong finally turns to look at Eunji with a sad smile.

 

“I’m moving to London next week.” She announces, leaving the delinquent still in surprise. “I received a scholarship offer at a prestigious high school there and once I graduate, I will continue my studies at a university there.”

 

“I-I see! That’s- really awesome! You’re amazing, Chorong!” Eunji tries to sound happy for her, but inside, there was something breaking.

 

It’s the shatter of her heart, tearing at the thought that she may never see her again. Tearing that her life will return back to the monotonous momentum which she hated.

 

“…And I will miss you, Eunji.”

 

Immediately, those words healed everything. Eunji’s looking softly at the president, the way the warm sun is gently glowing onto her face, makes it so beautiful.

 

“P-president. You’re saying…”

 

Chorong nodded. “I’m saying that I accept your request to date you. And you must promise me that you’ll be mine forever. I’m giving you a new challenge Eunji. Would you be able to handle a long-distance relationship with me?”

 

The way Chorong’s confessing her, is sending her to cloud nine. It takes a bit of time to process her words but Eunji can no longer resist the urge. Instead of replying her, the girl slowly leaned in and softly pressed her lips on hers.

 

“…That is a yes from me, president.” Eunji mumbled, retracting back as her eyes look up at Chorong’s flushed face. She’s forgotten that the president probably has zero experience in dating and she just stole her first kiss.

 

“W-what-“ Chorong frowned in disgust, wiping with her sleeve.

 

“Oh come on, president!” Eunji laughed out loud. “Kisses aren’t that bad okay? If you’re dating me…” She leaned into her ears with a whisper. “You’re gonna have to handle a whole lot of kissing from me.”

 

“G-good thing I’m heading to London.”

 

“I can always come over.”

 

“Crap-“

 

Eunji laughs into Chorong’s mouth, kissing her a little more and to her surprise, the president doesn’t fight back. Instead, her hand is wrapped around her waist and the two are kissing under the orange sun. The delinquent wants to show Chorong how much she’s never going to regret dating someone as experienced as her.

 

And Eunji will stay true to her words.

 

Even though in her course of life, she’s dated countless of people, in the end, there will still be one winner in her heart. Her mother was right all along.

 

Eunji found her flower and the player is no more.

 

She is now bounded forever in life, to Park Chorong.

 

~fin

 

 


 

A/N: Just a fluff Eunrong piece haha~ idea taken from this tweet :) Probably having a little withdrawals after completing my Eunrong fic, Your Majesty so this is a little gift for the magnets haha. Wow, I have not updated this in a longgg time. But let's see when I will update again haha~

 

P.S Also, I'm very sorry but I cannot accept any fic requests > < ;; please understand...