teacher 🏫 (eunrong)

📖~apink short stories collection~📖

 

“Mom, are you okay?”

 

Hearing the voice of her 5-year old daughter was enough for Eunji to pull her back into reality. She had been spacing out quite a lot ever since that unexpected meeting. Today is a parent-teacher meet and of course, being the responsible mother, she was, Eunji took a day leave from her 8-5pm job and attended the afternoon event.

 

“O-Oh, I’m fine. Mom’s fine, Arin-ah. Did you finish your food already? Oh! What a good girl you are!” Eunji cooed, the child’s hair and pecking her chubby cheeks as a reward. To her, Arin is all that she has left. No, Arin is her everything.

 

When her husband died from a tragic car accident two years ago, Eunji thought that her whole world crashed down. It would be impossible to live without him. But after thinking it through and receiving consoling from her friends, family, the woman could handle fine as a widow. She’ll do anything for Arin.

 

But if there was anything that she would never tell Arin even when she grows into a fine woman, is the day where she broke down, drunk at the bar and eventually hooked up with a random lady who seemed really understanding of her situation.

 

It was supposed to be a one-time thing.

 

Eunji believed that she will never see that lady ever again, like a piece of her past discarded away. But she did meet her again. Two years later…not as a stranger, but as Arin’s kindergarten teacher.

 

“Hello! You must be Arin’s mother. Pleasure to meet you! I’m Park Chorong but all the kids here call me Aunty Chorong.” The lady smiled, shaking the parent’s hand as Eunji’s eyes were all locked on those same dark orbs she saw. The same oceans that comforted her during those tough times. .

 

“I-It’s a pleasure to meet you, Miss Chorong.” Eunji stuttered, sitting down as she casually glanced over to check whether Arin was paying attention to their conversation. The child is just happily stacking blocks at the other room with her friends. Thank god. “Say, have we met before?”

 

Eunji watched as Chorong’s face slowly turned into a tint of blush, eyes wavering about, “Perhaps.” She replied, shifting uncomfortably in her seat. “But I think we should talk about this later. Let’s discuss about Arin’s development.”

 

“Oh, yes! Of course. We came here for that anyway…ha…ha…” Eunji laughed it off awkwardly, eyes looking down at the papers as she thought this would be the best way to shift the topic quickly.

 

As they chatted solely on Arin’s progress, it was time to go. Eunji wanted to just let that thought slip. Getting up from the seat, she could feel Chorong’s eyes on her and gave in. The woman glanced over and they were locked on each other. Gosh, her heart fluttered all over again. The way she’s looking at her like that…it is so reminiscent of love. The feelings of a pure, innocent love.

 

“Do you…have time during the weekend?” Chorong asked hesitantly, although she wasn’t hoping for anything. At times, it’s best to keep whatever that they did in the past, a secret. But that isn’t always the best option.

 

“…Sure. Hold on.” Eunji searched through her handbag, took out a notebook and tore off a piece of paper. “Write your phone number here. I’ll call you.”

 

“Okay. I think we need to talk about this soon.” The woman replied, scribbling her number down and handing it back to her.

 

“See you, Miss Chorong.”

 

So here she is, dropping off Arin at her childhood best friend, Bomi’s apartment home. She’s thankful to her for all these tough times. Bomi always took care of Arin whenever Eunji needed some space for herself to drop by a bar, or a lonely highway drive at night. But today, is a little different.

 

Pouring a cup of coffee as Bomi glanced over at Arin who was now very preoccupied with a cartoon series on the television, it was the signal that they could talk freely like normal adults.

 

“I guess it must be fate.” The woman chuckled, finding it funny how her friend bumped into a lady whom she hooked up on a random drunk night, that is now Arin’s kindergarten teacher. “You sure you aren’t some main character of a movie? What an interesting life you have.”

 

“Oh, shut up.” Eunji sighed, taking a sip from the mug. “I’m so screwed. What am I supposed to do? How did Arin’s kindergarten teacher become the lady that I hooked up two years ago?! Does that even make sense?!”

 

Bomi laughed as she shook her head. “Just talk to her and find a way. You can either remain as a normal parent-teacher relationship or…” She smirked, leaning into Eunji’s ears to whisper, “Something more…OUCH!” Wincing in pain as her friend smacked her on the shoulder, “I’m meeting her this weekend. Can you look after Arin while I’m gone?”

 

“That’s what best friends are for, right? You can drop her off in the morning. Good luck, Eunji. I’m rooting for you.”

 

“For what?!”

 

“I mean, you seem to really like her. Come on, your eyes don’t lie.”

 

Eunji pouted, crossing her arms as she looked away, eyes eventually finding on Arin who is now cutely dancing to the baby shark cartoon playing on the television. It brings a smile to her face and suddenly, she’s thinking how Chorong would get along so well with her.

 

Wait…why is she imagining it as if Chorong was part of her life now? She hasn’t even gotten the chance to get to know her properly and suddenly she’s planning out their whole future together.

 

This is bad. Real bad.

 

For the first time in a while, Jung Eunji is smitten in love.

 

That night, Eunji tucked Arin in bed. At 9pm, the woman is kissing the child’s forehead and pulling the blanket up, making sure that she’s all warm and cuddled.

 

“Sleep well dear. Dream of good things only.” Eunji hummed, taking a sip from her mug of hot tea. Ever since she had Arin, the woman has been trying to find ways to fix her alcohol addiction by replacing it with either coffee or tea. Although it tastes different and feels different, it’s one way to stop it. Until…well, Arin grows a little older that is.

 

“Mom, can I ask you a question.”

 

“Sure, what is it?”

 

Arin was always a curious one. Even though it was bed time, it would usually take her another half an hour to actually go to sleep because she would ask Eunji about so many things. One time, she asked about why Eunji had a fixed working time of 8-5pm. The other time, she asked why her cartoons always stayed inside the television box and never come out of it.

 

All of her questions were always so cute and innocent, and it makes Eunji happy. Surely, this time, it would be something like that-

 

“What’s a hook-up?”

 

Eunji choked on her tea, coughing away as she quickly put the mug down and hit her chest. “A-Arin! Where did you learn such a word?!”

 

The child looked at her with gleaming innocent eyes, not having an idea what she just caused. “I heard you and Aunty Bomi talking about it today.”

 

Eunji sighed, making it note to keep Arin far away whenever the two of them have these adult conversations. Arin is at an age where she is very alert and observant of her surroundings. It’ll be even more difficult to keep hiding things from her, as she grows older.

 

“Arin dear, you should just go to bed. You’ll know better once you become an adult.”

 

“So…when I’m an adult, do I have to do hook-ups too?”

 

Eunji almost fell out of her chair. Chuckling nervously as she brushed Arin’s hair, “Dear…stop asking so many questions and go to bed. It’s getting late…”

 

The child pouted and went back to her mattress. “Okay, mom. Good night.”

 

“Good night.” Eunji kissed her forehead and left the bedroom, sometimes very glad that Arin is such an obedient child and knows when to stop.

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

It’s the weekend and Eunji is at a café which she arranged to meet up with Chorong. It’s nothing special, just a quaint, quiet place without much of a crowd around. Back in those days as a young adult, she would be out at bars or clubs partying away. But now that she’s aged, she’s beginning to understand the folks who prefer the calmer side of life.

 

Fiddling her cup of hot coffee as she scanned her eyes around, there is still no sign of the teacher. Maybe she’s late. Maybe she decided to bail out because it’s embarrassing to meet someone who she had really hot with. Maybe she is just…

 

“Hi!”

 

Eunji almost flinched as she looked up to see Chorong smiling shyly at her. It knocks up an airless gasp out of the woman’s throat as she quickly stood from her seat, “H-Hi!” She stuttered, unable to hide her nervousness to which Chorong noticed and giggled.

 

“No need to stand up from your seat, Miss Eunji. Sit down.”

 

“R-Right!” Eunji cleared and did exactly what she was told. “Why don’t you get a drink? Must be cold coming here. Winter is almost here.”

 

“Oh, it’s fine. I don’t really like coffee. Instead, I drink healthy drinks like these.” Chorong said, taking out a bottle of ginseng tea from her bag and then a couple of health supplements which she swallows down.

 

“Are you…sick?”

 

Chorong shook her head with a smile. “No, it’s good for your body. Especially since we’re aging. We aren’t that young anymore.”

 

“Well, guess we had a lot more energy two years ago.” Eunji chuckled, and then stopping as she realized what she was saying. “Ah…sorry.” She looked away shyly, blushing as she wasn’t sure how Chorong would respond.

 

“It’s okay. Like you said, it was two years ago. A lot can happen in that time. And I…still remember what we did.”

 

“Take this as a compliment but I enjoyed the time we had. I just thought that I’d never meet you again.” Eunji chuckled. “Life certainly has its ways huh?”

 

Chorong bit her lip, looking a bit longer at the woman who seems really nervous talking to her. “Are you…meeting anybody?” Eunji gulped at that question, and shook her head. “No. I don’t have time to meet anyone. Plus, I have to raise Arin too.”

 

“I see…”

 

“But…I can find time to meet you…” Eunji said carefully, slowly letting out what is in her heart. She’s been through relationships before. She’s learned the knacks of it and know that sometimes, its best to be straight forward with her feelings. Eunji isn’t some high school girl who is scared to take chances or hasn’t exprienced love before.

 

Eunji has been through those hurdles already and she’s just going through it again, except with more experience and confidence. “I want to know more about you, Chorong.”

 

The woman smiled shyly, “…Me too. Let’s meet often, Eunji.”

 

That night, Eunji dropped by Bomi’s apartment to fetch Arin. She had to put her finger on Bomi’s lips before she started shouting excitedly like a kid upon noticing a lipstick mark on Eunji’s cheek.

 

“I’ll tell you about it another day. You’ll wake up Arin.” Eunji whispered with a scowl on her face, knowing that Bomi tends to do stupid things sometimes. “Wait for a bit. I need to wash this off. Otherwise, Arin is going to ask a thousand questions.”

 

Bomi chuckled, leaning against the bathroom door as she watched her friend turn on the faucet. “Look at you.” She shook her head with a giddy smile. She’s so happy for Eunji. She’s happy that Eunji is able to find love once again. “This is something that must be celebrated.”

 

“Save that for another time.” Eunji gently smacked her shoulder and headed into Bomi’s bedroom to carry a fast-asleep Arin into her arms. Walking down the steps and into her car, the woman glanced over at Bomi who waved goodbye. “Thanks for taking care of her.”

 

“No problem. I’ll do anything just so you can be in love again! Call me if you need to date again! I’ll be right here!”

 

Eunji rolled her eyes and got into the car. As much as she is thankful for Bomi’s help, but she doesn’t like how she’s probably gonna about this until she dies. Driving along the empty streets at midnight, it’s been awhile since she was out this late.

 

Stopped at a red light, the woman gently touched her cheek that is still warm and tingling with that kiss. It makes her heart dance excitedly at this hour and makes her feel so light. She never thought they would progress that quickly, or maybe she’s the coward. Usually, Eunji takes the bolder initiative in a relationship but oddly, she’s been slow to catch up to things.

 

“That woman is really something huh?” The woman sighed, placing her hand on her chest as she feels it beating quick.

 

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

“How was your date unnie?”

 

Hayoung peeked through the door with anticipation, she was waiting the whole day for Chorong to return home. She didn’t think it would prolong till midnight.

 

“Why are you still awake?” Chorong eyed at her half-sister, aware that she has classes the next day.

 

Hayoung is Chorong’s half-sister and they’ve been on good terms despite their estranged family connections. Now studying her final year of college with a business degree, Chorong probably doesn’t have to worry about anything. The only thing is that she’s your typical annoying little sister who likes to poke her nose into personal matters.

 

“Obviously waiting for you to come back. I was worried that your date might turn up to be some serial killer!”

 

“Oh please, she would never!”

 

Hayoung stared at her with a playful smile. “It’s only been one day and you’re already so protective. So, tell me. Who is this woman that you’re meeting? Oh, oh! Don’t look away unnie! That’s so freaking obvious!” She laughed, returning to the couch. “What’s her name? What does she work as? How old is she?”

 

Chorong sighed, already used to her little sister’s annoying ways of digging answers out. It has always been like that and in a way, it’s Hayoung’s method of showing affection.

 

“Jung Eunji. 35. She’s a general sales manager at a shampoo company.”

 

“Oh…stable job. Isn’t too old. Has a nice name. Okay, you can marry her!”

 

“WHAT?!” Chorong turned around, almost raising her voice in surprise only to see Hayoung just staring at her with a straight face. “…What?”

 

“Please don’t do anything dumb.” The older woman exasperated, not wanting to have any headaches. The last time she was in a relationship, Hayoung kept interrupting in between and acted as a really annoying third wheel. It would be a disaster if she does the same with Eunji.

 

“Of course not. I just want to see what she looks like.”

 

“Well…she’s a parent of one of the kids at the kindergarten. So, if you want to meet her-”

 

Hayoung clapped her hands. “Great! I’ll take care of the kid while you guys .”

 

“Hayoung, shut up.”

 

“I’ll shut up if you let me meet her.”

 

“We aren’t even dating yet!”

 

“Why not? You don’t have much time left. Best to be quick before you get too old…ah.”

 

Hayoung stopped as she finally felt a chill down her spine. A scary, stabbing glare from her older sister that always made her cry whenever she was a kid. At least, she doesn’t cry but it’s really intimidating and tells her that she should stop. “Okay…I’ll…just uh, go to bed now. Haha! Good night unnie! Sleep~ well!” Hayoung blinked nervously, slowly slipping into the room and closing the door behind.

 

With peace and quiet in the house, Chorong breathed a sigh and headed into her room. After a quick shower, her phone buzzed with a message. She thought it could be a message from the chat group of her colleagues or a message from her friends because Hayoung is the type to go around, telling everyone that she’s meeting someone. Hopefully it’s not that one. Instead, the contact name is “Jung Eunji”.

 

Did you reach home safely?

 

And suddenly, Chorong’s heart is fluttering with butterflies. Smiling as she cuddled into her bed, she begins to reply Eunji’s message.

 

Yes, I did. Thank you for today. You didn’t have to pay for the meal.

 

Oh no, it’s only right that I did. After all, I lost the bet! I’ll see you…tomorrow?

 

Tommorrow?

 

I’ve decided to fetch Arin to and fro now. After all, I do feel bad about having to rely on Bomi to do it for me.

 

Chorong chuckled, knowing that it’s so obvious that Eunji is only doing that so that she can meet her. But the woman decided to play dumb and continued their conversation into the night, only realizing that a whole hour passed and she forgot to dry her hair.

 

“Wow, you haven’t slept yet. This is new.”

 

Chorong flinched and almost wanted to throw a pillow at Hayoung who nearly scared her at 2am in the morning. “Go to sleep!”

 

“I was sleeping! I came out to get a drink and saw the lights in your room still on.” Hayoung mumbled, eyeing over at Chorong’s phone. “Ah…I see.” She nodded with a giggle, closing the door behind. “Good night unnie.”

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

 

It’s a fresh morning and just like any other typical day at the kindergarten, Chorong and her team of colleagues are lined up at the entrance, waiting to usher the children inside as their parents drop them off. A red Land Rover drives through the narrow road as the driver’s window is pulled down.

 

“Good morning, Chorong.”

 

“Morning, Eunji.” The woman smiled in reply, opening the door as she smiled at Arin who immediately jumped into her arms. “Good morning Arin!” Her tone became lighter and sweeter, a wide smile spreading across her face as the child was more than happy to see her favourite teacher again. “Aunty Chorong! Good morning!”

 

“Arin really likes you. I’m just saying.” Eunji chuckled, “Alright. I’ll come back in like ten hours?”

 

“Yep. If you are late, please give us a call so that we can prepare.”

 

“Do I call the kindergarten or call your number?” Eunji hummed with a smirk, lowering her sunglasses as she was able to see a slight blush on Chorong’s face. “Y-You can call either one…” The teacher mumbled shyly in reply to which Eunji laughed, “Alright. I’ll see you around, Chorong.”

 

Watching the Land Rover drive off into the distance, her heart is beating again. But Chorong quickly shook her head, knowing that she shouldn’t have the lady preoccupied in her head during working hours.

 

“Aunty Chorong, do you like my mother?”

 

“Hm? What kind of question is that, Arin?”

 

“I don’t know.” The child shrugged. “I just thought that you look at mom differently than the others.”

 

Chorong smiled softly at the child. She’s really going to become someone great in the future. “Let’s go inside Arin. It’s cold.” The woman smoothly changed the topic and easily avoided having to answer her question.

 

Eunji kept her word. In ten hours, she was back in the same red Land Rover. But this time, she decided to park her car and walked into the kindergarten herself. Dressed in a white blouse and black pants, a typical office look that all workers have, maybe it’s just Chorong whose heart seems to pound at her outfit.

 

“Arin’s sleeping?” She whispered, noticing how the kindergarten has gotten relatively quiet. Chorong nodded, “It’s nap time. But I’ll wake her up.” Just as she’s about to leave the counter, Eunji held onto her hand. “It’s okay. I’ll wait till she wakes up. I can talk to you instead.”

 

Chorong blushed real hard at those words. Shyly looking away, Eunji laughed at that cute reaction and wondered if she may have moved too fast. But she doesn’t like to wait. If she wants something, she’ll take it.

 

“Come here. I know where we can talk…” Chorong gently grabbed onto her hand, looking around to see whether any of her colleagues noticed her, before heading into an empty classroom.

 

There are colourful tables shaped in hexagons, drawings pinned on the cork boards and cute, tiny chairs that would probably break if they sat on it. Looking around, Eunji managed to see Arin’s drawing on the board.

 

“The kids were asked to draw what love meant to them. She drew you.” Chorong said with a soft smile as Eunji chuckled, looking at the Arin’s drawing of two stickman holding hands with each other. There was also a house at the background with a big tree and birds flying in the sky.

 

“That’s adorable. I can see why you decided to become a kindergarten teacher. It’s a lovely job.” Eunji hummed, turning to face Chorong as the classroom is a little dim with only light coming from the outside windows.

 

“I believed that we should work in something that we are passionate in. There is no point if you hate your job.”

 

“That’s true. I like meeting people so it’s only right that I’m in the sales department. It’s also where I met my husband. He’s a kind man. It’s a pity that he left the world too early.”

 

“I’m sorry for your loss.”

 

“No, it’s fine. After all, the person who healed that pain is right here.” Eunji said, naturally finding itself on Chorong’s shoulder. “Thank you for that. Even though that was two years ago, you really helped me out.”

 

Chorong chuckled shyly, “Even though what we did after that…was completely unrelated…”

 

“I blame the alcohol.” Eunji smiled, pausing to just look at the woman in front of her.

 

She’s…beautiful. This close, the way the dim light is perfectly placing those shadows on her face, completing a structure that is perfect in a painting, damn…she loves the way Chorong is right now.

 

“This is probably the most inappropriate timing. But, can I…kiss you?”

 

Chorong giggled as she closed her eyes and put her chin up slightly. “Sure.” And Eunji does, a soft chaste kiss on her lips. Leaning backwards, it’s a tantalizing feeling left on , electrifying for more. But she knows better that it’s not a good place to be making out with her. She knows when to hold back.

 

“I think Arin should be awake now.” The woman said, cheeks a little hot from that slight peck.

 

“Y-Yeah. I should probably go and get her.” Eunji cleared , knowing that Chorong is trying to find a way to shift from the awkward, fluttering feeling of their kiss, when it clearly wasn’t the first time that they have kissed.

 

Back on the road, driving away with Arin strapped at the back with her seatbelt on, Eunji has the radio on and she’s humming to the melody, while the taste of that kiss was still burning on her lips.

 

“Mom, are you and Aunty Chorong getting married?”

 

Eunji almost had to emergency brake at her daughter’s absurd question.

 

“What?! What makes you think that way dear?”

 

Arin hummed in thought. “I saw you kissing her.”

 

Eunji almost choked on her saliva. “WHAT? WHERE?!”

 

“I woke up from my nap and searched for Aunty Chorong. So, I went back to the classroom but I saw you kissing her.” Arin explained it in a very calm, innocent manner as if it was nothing to her. But to Eunji, that’s a really bad, BAD thing.

 

“Arin dear…you just had a dream. A very strange dream. That’s all.” Eunji sighed, continuing her drive and hoping that she doesn’t getting into any accidents from hearing anymore of her daughter’s shocking questions.

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

“Aunty Hayoung!”

 

Arin squealed, running up to the woman’s arms as Hayoung easily caught her. “Aww! Did you miss me?” The child nodded in reply and the college student couldn’t help but to kiss her cheek.

 

“What are you doing here?” Chorong frowned with an irritated scowl on her face. It’s so obvious that she doesn’t want her little sister to be loitering around the kindergarten. But there she is, putting her innocent face on and being all, “What? Why can’t I?” excuses.

 

“I don’t have classes today. All my classmates are busy studying for their exams. And I am bored. Thought it’d be nice to drop by. The other kids are all inside, right? I’ll go and read them a storybook!” Hayoung grinned, still carrying Arin in her arms as she skipped along the corridor, entering the classrooms as she could hear the children making noises at her entrance.

 

Well, having her little sister around isn’t that bad. Hayoung is sweet with children and kind of makes her job easier since she doesn’t have to keep an eye on them and allows Chorong to focus more on the paperwork.

 

It has been two weeks since she and Eunji were dating “unofficially”. No one really said that they were dating but with their current feelings, it just seemed about right. They’ve been texting each other every day, meeting whenever Arin comes to the kindergarten and leaves afterwards, and sometimes have small, simple dates on the weekends.

 

She’s thankful that Eunji is being very gentle and careful around her. They don’t move too fast into the relationship and haven’t really gone far, other than making out in the car. Being around with Eunji makes her feel at ease. A breath away from work and other thoughts in her head, she makes her put all of that aside.

 

“Hi.”

 

A voice over the counter that almost causes Chorong to flinch, Eunji chuckled at the woman’s cute reaction.

 

“I guess it’s not a good idea to bring you out for horror movies huh?”

 

“Yeah. I get scared pretty easily so I hope you don’t do that often.” Chorong blushed, a little embarrassed that Eunji had to see that side of her. “Here.” The woman handed over a large bag containing several cups of coffee. “This is for you and your colleagues. Must be tough dealing with so many children every day.”

 

“Oh my, you didn’t have too, Eunji.” Chorong gasped, seeing how the woman bought them from Starbucks, which means it must’ve been very costly for her. She could’ve just settled with cheap, instant coffee but she really went out of her way.

 

Eunji shook her head with a smile. “Don’t mind it. At the office, I’m known to buy things for people. So be glad that I’m your friend.” The woman chuckled as a sudden thought passed through her head. “Well, that is if you consider me as your friend.” She said, hinting that she wanted to add something else to that sentence.

 

“Ah…” Chorong nodded, completely understanding what that meant. “So…do I tell my colleagues that my girlfriend gave them the coffee? And not some friend?”

 

Eunji grinned widely and gave a thumbs up. “That’s right.” Chorong laughed at that, and shook her head. She can’t believe that Eunji’s such a playful person. “Fine. I’ll hand the coffee to them. Please wait here.” The woman took the bag and went inside the rooms, leaving Eunji alone to wander around the waiting area.

 

Looking around the waiting area that is cutely decorated with lots of bright colours and animals, the woman can’t help but to love the interior design of the kindergarten. She really picked the best one for Arin.

 

“Excuse me, are you a parent?”

 

Eunji turned over and greeted the lady who seemed way too young to be working here. “Yes, I am. I’m just a little too early. The session only ends at 5pm right?”

 

“Yup. Oh, don’t mind me. I’m just a volunteer that comes here sometimes. The name’s Oh Hayoung.” The lady reached to shake Eunji’s hand.

 

“Jung Eunji.”

 

And at that moment, Hayoung gaped with an “o” and nodded. “So, you are Jung Eunji! Wow, really is a pleasure to be meeting you here!”

 

Eunji looked at her suspiciously. “You…know me?”

 

Hayoung laughed at that question, “I’m Chorong’s half-sister. We live together so I hear a lot of stories about you.”

 

“Oh! Half-sister! I see, nice to meet you!” Eunji loosened herself up and greeted back Hayoung with a much friendlier smile. The woman just realized that Chorong never really talked much about her family before so, meeting Hayoung has been quite a breath of fresh air. New information is always lovely to have.

 

“I can give you my number if you want. I’m a really easy person. If you just pay me for a really small price, I can tell you everything about my sister- OUCH!”

 

“Sorry, she’s a troublemaker.” Chorong smiled, easily grabbing Hayoung away and pulling her to a corner. “I told you not to do anything stupid!” She whispered with a scowl.

 

“Damn, I thought I could use that opportunity to get some money.” Hayoung clicked her tongue and crossed her arms. “Well, I’ll be leaving. I don’t want to interrupt your sweet moment.”

 

“What?” Chorong scoffed, watching Hayoung enter the classroom only to be stopped by a curious Arin coming out. Oh…crap.

 

“Hello Arin! Look! Your mom came really early today!” Hayoung smiled, opening the door for her.

 

“Mom!” The child grinned widely, ecstatic to see Eunji who waved back. “Oh, but Arin…” Hayoung hummed in thought, “I think you should come home with me for tonight.”

 

Arin looked at Hayoung confused, “But why?”

 

The woman grinned with a playful smirk, glancing over at Chorong who was already threatening her with a glare and Eunji who seemed to have no idea what she has in mind.

 

“You see Arin…your mom really likes Aunty Chorong a lot.”

 

“Oh! Is it because they did a hook-up together?” Arin replied excitedly, still having no idea what that meant as it left Hayoung laughing non-stop. Chorong facepalmed herself while Eunji stood there, shocked at her daughter’s answer.

 

“Arin! I told you not to use that word ever!”

 

“But why?” Arin pouted, feeling wrongfully accused.

 

Eunji sighed, thinking that if this has to stop, she has to pull it through straight with her daughter.

 

“Arin, instead of saying Aunty Chorong and I did a hook-up, you should say that Aunty Chorong and I are…in love.”

 

Arin looked at her mother and then, to Chorong and later to Hayoung. Thinking for a moment, she nodded with a smile. “That sounds better mom!”

 

Eunji sighed in relief as Chorong smiled at her softly.

 

“Nice save, Eunji.” The woman whispered, to which the latter replied, “I’m probably going to have a long talk with Arin later today.”

 

Hayoung whistled, impressed at how her sister’s girlfriend fixed the whole situation and tried to clap her hands, while still holding Arin. “Eunji, you are really something. Anyways, I’m going to bring Arin back to where her friends are at. But, Eunji! Let’s talk soon.” She winked, walking back into the classroom and leaving the couple behind.

 

Eunji crashed onto the couch, shaking her head as she couldn’t believe that she said that directly to her daughter. But what made her feel much more relieved is that Arin seemed to understand that, and was very welcoming with her relationship.

 

“You’ll be okay.” Chorong smiled, putting her hand on Eunji’s lap as a means to comfort her. “Arin is a really smart kid. She’s very observant and aware of the people around her. I have to be honest that I almost had to laugh at her statement. It was…very fresh.” She giggled, to which Eunji laughed as well.

 

“My daughter is really one of a kind. And I’m glad that you’re going to play such a big role in her life.”

 

Chorong blushed, heart fluttering that Eunji has already considered her as part of her present and future. She could tell from the sincerity of her words, how she’s serious about marrying her in the future when they have known each other well.

 

“So…I suppose we are dating now?” The woman carefully put those words out as she received a peck on the cheek as the answer.

 

“Of course. Unless, you don’t want too…” Eunji pouted in which Chorong shook her head. “No. I do want to date you. I want to take time to know you better. Let’s not rush into things.”

 

“Sure. We have all the time in the world, Chorong.”

 

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

When Arin grew and began going to elementary school, it made more time for Eunji to go onto dates with Chorong. Although sometimes they did miss the whole “waiting at the kindergarten for her daughter but also spending time with her girlfriend at the same time”, they could now go beyond that place.

 

The teacher had always wondered how Eunji managed to have so much time for her, only to find out that her girlfriend is a hard worker who is well-loved by her colleagues and bosses. When asked her trick to leaving work early, the woman simply said that her co-workers often cover up for her.

 

 

As Arin became more mature, that also meant more moments where the couple had to think about the difficult answers that she interrogated them.

 

 

“Don’t avoid the question. You too, Aunty Chorong! All my friends kept asking me the same thing.” Arin pouted, seated at the back of the car as the couple went out of their way to fetch the girl from school.

 

“Well, Arin…” Chorong glanced over at Eunji who made an excuse that she was driving, so she had to handle it. “People are free to love whoever they want. Of course, it can be controversial when you put religion in place. It can also make people angry because sometimes…they don’t like it when people of the same gender are in love.”

 

“But why? It’s so annoying! People are free to love who they want!”

 

“That’s right Arin. I know that you are upset but I don’t want you to get into trouble or see you fighting anyone in school because of their opinions. Ignore them and focus on your studies.” Eunji said in a stern tone, eyes fixed on the road.

 

“Okay…mom.” The child sighed, crossing her arms as she looked out at the window, hoping that the clear blue skies would ease her anger.

 

 

As Arin became more mature, she also began to understand the relationship of her mom and Chorong. That also meant that she was supportive and accepting of the thought of them marrying each other.

 

 

“It’s okay mom. I can really stay at home by myself. You don’t have to call Aunty Bomi or Aunty Hayoung over. Just go and spend time with Aunty Chorong!”

 

Eunji looked at her daughter softly, somewhat proud at how she has grown up so well to the point where she has become selfless and understanding of others.

 

“If there is a suspicious stranger at the door, I’m not supposed to open the door and call the neighbors instead. I shouldn’t be answering any calls except for people that I know. I’ll be fine, mom.” Arin said, reciting it in her head as she memorized Eunji’s nagging.

 

“I’ll be back soon, okay?” Eunji pulled Arin into a warm hug. Her daughter grinned in reply and gave a thumbs up. “Have fun! Make sure the date with Aunty Chorong is even better than the previous one!” The woman ruffled Arin’s hair and pinched her cheek. “Love you, Arin.”

 

“Love you too mom!”

 

Arriving at the fancy restaurant all dressed up with a bouquet of flowers hiding behind her back, Eunji greeted the waiter who escorted her to the table. There, her eyes met Chorong dressed in a beautiful yet simple white dress.

 

“You look beautiful.”

 

“You say that all the time.” Chorong giggled as she gasped, receiving the bouquet of flowers from Eunji. “Oh my, you didn’t have too. It’s not like it’s a special day or anything.”

 

The woman smirked, “No, it is going to be a special day. But before that, let’s order our food first.” She said, turning to the waiter. “Menu please.”

 

As their dishes arrived one by one, with two plates of sirloin steak, a bottle of champagne and a candlelight on their table, it’s honestly the best romantic set up. With not much diners around at this hour, making it private and sweet, Eunji has been planning this for a long time.

 

“What’s the occasion Eunji?” Chorong asked in curiosity, slicing her piece of steak and putting into , having no idea what her girlfriend has planned. Eunji on the other hand simply shrugged and continued to . “I don’t know. You’ll find out soon enough.”

 

Chorong eyed on her suspiciously. Knowing Eunji for the past five years, she sort of has a hint but likes to play dumb, simply to enjoy whatever that her girlfriend has prepared for her. Although one thing that she lacks is, the ability to hide her smile. Eunji noticed this and giggled. “You really are such a see through.”

 

“I’ll stop talking and wait patiently for whatever you have prepared.”

 

“Ah, that would be great.” Eunji chuckled, knowing how her set-up is obvious but loving more how Chorong continues to play along. She just loves this side of her.

 

As the waiter approached the couple and served dessert: cake in a cocktail, the time was finally here.

 

“Eat that slowly.” Eunji mumbled, eyeing on the cocktail that Chorong was holding and the spoon ready to devour it. The woman smiled and knew exactly what’s coming. So, she decided to dip her spoon right inside and already, she could feel something odd at the bottom of the cocktail.

 

“Hey! That’s cheating!” Eunji whined as Chorong laughed, “Alright, I’ll just keep eating this slowly.” The woman dug each layer of the cake and put it into , slowly finding its way to the bottom. Noticing that Eunji had been eyeing on the cocktail very closely, Chorong can’t help but to feel excited herself.

 

Taking one last scoop out, she finds a sparkling diamond at the bottom. Removing the cream buried between, it’s actually a diamond ring inside the cocktail glass.

 

Chorong gasped to which Eunji laughed. “Why does your gasp sound so fake?! Ahhh, noooo it’s ruined!!!” Eunji whined with an embarrassed smile, shaking her head and burying her face.

 

“Wow…but it’s pretty Eunji. I like it.” Chorong tried to keep herself from laughing, taking the ring out from the cocktail as she held it close to her eye.

 

“Don’t wear it yet. Let me do it. Just- just let me continue with whatever I have planned, please?”

 

“Alright.” Chorong laughed, watching Eunji take the ring from her hands as she got up from her seat, and bent on one knee. Holding the ring out in her hand as the woman’s face was a little red, out of embarrassment and obvious failure from her surprise, she still proceeded.

 

“Will you marry me, Park Chorong?”

 

Chorong smiled widely as she giggled, leaning forward to kiss Eunji’s cheek.

 

 “Of course, baby.”

 

 

Fin.

 

 

 


A/N:

 

Hello! I am back after quite awhile with another eunrong one shot! Actually, this idea was made based on my AU-like challenge that I've been doing on my twitter. You can check it out here if there's anything that interests you (i might add those stories in here!) Writing this piece actually made me remember a lot about my other eunrong fic called complexity. Except its filled with a whole lot of fluff and humour haha. Not sure when I'll update again but hope you enjoyed reading this piece :)