promises👩‍❤️‍👩 (2eun)

📖~apink short stories collection~📖

 

Seven years old

 

 

There’s a new neighbour moving in.

 

 

Trucks loaded with large cardboard boxes, workers moving in and out. One look from the car plate number and everyone knew that they were from the fishing town of Busan.

 

 

Shyly hiding and peeking behind from her mother’s back is a small yet pretty girl. She’s not interested in all the adult talks. Instead, she has her eyes locked onto a girl who seems to be around the same age. She’s running about, shouting about how excited she is to start a new life in the city of Seoul.

 

That is until, the two made eye contact. A sudden surge of anxiety climbed up and the girl tried to run back into her home.

 

But she was faster.

 

“Hi! What’s your name?!”

 

Right in front of her face and eyes bulging out with curiosity, it startled the girl who has no idea how to respond. She’s stuttering, blinking anxiously and-

 

“She’s Naeun. What about you?”

 

Her mother saved the day. Phew, thank god. Indeed, mom knew her best.

 

“Oh. Naeun…that’s a pretty name!” The girl nodded with excitement, extending her hand out. “I’m Eunji. Jung Eunji! Nice to meet you!” She smiled widely.

 

Naeun stared back, hesitant but with encouragement from her mother, she shook Eunji’s hand. It was strong, firm yet warm.

 

“Nice…to meet you…”

 

And that was how, the very shy, quiet Naeun made her first friend.

 

“Naeun-ah!!! Let’s go out and play!!!”

 

It was the wee hours of morning and Eunji’s loud voice woke the whole neighbourhood up. Peeking through the curtain as she rubbed her eyes, Naeun saw the girl jumping excitedly up and down. She’s like the morning sun who has come to greet her.

 

“Naeun. Go and play with your new friend.”

 

Her mother entered into the bedroom. When Naeun quietly returned back to bed, covering her face with the blanket, the woman sighed. She still remembers what the kindergarten teacher told her and it was her part to let her daughter be more brave in interacting with others.

 

“Go and make some friends. It won’t hurt. Plus, I think Eunji is very excited to know you more.”

 

“…I don’t want to…”

 

“Naeun.”

 

Her tone became stern.

 

“O-okay.”

 

Like the good daughter she was, Naeun scrambled of bed, almost falling off and waddling away to dress up. The moment her mother opened the door, the girl doesn’t even have time to react. Eunji’s already greeting her a loud “Good morning!”, hands tightly clutched onto her wrist and dragging her away as the two children began to run to the playground nearby.

 

It is definitely hard to keep up with Eunji’s energy.

 

Out of the many things they could play, Eunji was more interested in the sandbox. The swings, slides were all common and boring. Hands all dirty and sand in her nails, the two girls started to build a sandcastle together.

 

Although it was mostly just Eunji ordering Naeun around but, the quiet child liked the company. For once, she was with someone other than her family members.

 

“Put this here!”

 

“More over here!”

 

“Yes! Perfect!”

 

Although Naeun remained a silent worker to Eunji who gave direct instructions, it was enough to warm her up. Slowly, she was smiling and showed interest. She was having a good time. From the quiet humming, eyebrow frowns from concentration, it was all a sign of progression and Eunji loved seeing that.

 

Naeun was so different from all of her Busan friends. She’s quiet, delicate, gentle and kind of  cute. A good girl that makes Eunji want to protect her.

 

“Okay, we’re done with our sandcastles!” Eunji stood up with a satisfied grin, dusting her hands. “What shall we do next Naeun? You pick!”

 

The girl nodded in response and pointed to the direction of the see-saw. “Let’s play that…” She said in a soft tone.

 

“Hehe! I’m gonna be the first one to reach that!” Eunji giggled, immediately dashing out of the sandbox. Thanks to her quick speed, she’s already seated on the see-saw. But when she looked up, Naeun clumsily stumbled her feet over the sandbox and fell down.

 

“Naeun-ah!”

 

Eunji rushed back to her side, noticing that she scraped her knee. Nothing but guilt filled her heart. But to her surprise, Naeun didn’t cry and held in the pain well. It seems that she’s used to having injuries like these.

 

“Oh no! Naeun-ah! Let’s get you home!”

 

“I-It’s okay…”

 

But Eunji didn’t hear the girl’s soft voice. One strong lift and Naeun was piggybacked by the girl. Arms tightly wrapped around her neck, head snuggled onto her shoulders, the two children were treading carefully on the path home.

 

“I’m sorry. It’s my fault. I was too hasty and I think I might have pushed you…that’s why you fell…”

 

Naeun shook her head. “It’s…not your fault.”

 

“Huh? You said something?”

 

“Its…not your fault.” The child mumbled, feeling shy now that she’s speaking louder than usual. But to Eunji’s ears, that’s a normal volume and it made her laugh.

 

"You’re funny.”

 

“I-I’m not…"

 

“Huh? What was that?”

 

Naeun pouted in frustration, knowing that Eunji might just use this as a way to .

 

“Okay. Sorry. Let’s go home first and fix that yeah?” The girl’s laughter resounded into the air. “Aigoo, what a clumsy girl you are!”

 

“I-I’m not clumsy!”

 

“Alright! Alright! Whatever you say, Naeun!”

 

 

 

Ten years old.

 

 

 

Three years since they’ve met and it’s safe to say that Eunji has gotten used to Naeun’s quiet nature. But that doesn’t stop her from making her come out of her shell.  

 

The two of them are total opposites.

 

Eunji is an active kid who plays football with the boys. She’s popular with her mates but isn’t really good at paying attention in class. Naeun on the other hand is that kid sitting quietly in the corner of the classroom. She’s happy in her own bubble and looks forward to art classes the most.

 

But entering elementary school can pose some challenges.

 

“Are you mute or just emo?” A boy stopped Naeun in her tracks, blocking her path from exiting the classroom.

 

“Why are you talking to that girl anyway? She’s weird!” More of his friends began to gather around, causing the girl to feel anxious as she stepped backwards, head down.

 

She’s always kept her distance from everyone simply because she is too shy. It just isn’t Naeun’s nature to talk to others. Although for the child, she doesn’t mind being alone. But from a different point of view, some kids might find her strange because she isn’t like the others.

 

“Yeah, why do we have you in our class anyway? Maybe you bring bad luck.” Another boy pointed his finger at her face, throwing insults left and right. “If only you just- OUCH!” A textbook flew across and hit his head hard.

 

“Don’t say those awful things to Naeun!” Eunji shouted, pulling the girl behind her. “You know nothing about her!”

 

“And what are you going to do about it?”

 

“Stop saying those things to Naeun and I'll let you go."

 

"Huh? Let me go?" The boy scoffed. "What can a small girl like you do?"

 

"This." In a blink, Eunji threw a hard punch at the boy's cheek and in a split, a brawl began. Teachers had to run in and break up the fight before anyone else could get hurt.

 

Eunji isn’t your average girl. She’s tomboyish, brave and isn’t scared to stand up for herself. Because of this, she’s a common visit at the principal's office. Oh and, let’s not talk about the number of times her mother had to come over and give Eunji an earful.

 

Today is one of those days.

 

Eunji’s at the principal’s office, face bruised up, arms angrily crossed and head turned to the window outside while her mother is apologizing again for the nth time. Eunji doesn't care about the stinging pain nor the fact that she's going to receive the same lecture again. She did the right thing. The thought of those boys insulting Naeun again, makes her blood boil.

 

“I’m so sorry that this has to happen again. Eunji is a repulsive child and it’s my fault for not being able to raise her well.”

 

“No, don’t blame yourself Mrs. Jung. Children her age are often emotionally challenged and go through many phases. Personally, I think your child is quite unique. Most kids don’t stand up for themselves and this shows her level of confidence. I can see a bright future ahead for her.”

 

“Oh, principal, you don’t need to soften your words. I understand that you’re tired of seeing me coming to your office all the time.”

 

Eunji’s ears have gone mute to all the adult talk.

 

She’s looking around the same, dull principal office, wondering when the adults are going to stop. But that’s only until her eyes lock onto a shy little girl peeking through the door opening.

 

It brought a grin to her face as she’s slowly waving her hand and mouthing the words “I’m okay! Don’t worry about me Naeun! Go back to class!”. But the said girl shook her head in reply and mouthed back, “I’m not leaving until you’re done. This is my fault.”

 

"What are you laughing about, Eunji?" The principal asked, turning to face the girl.

 

"H-Huh, what?"

 

The two adults turned to see Naeun, who immediately froze like a statue. But to her relief, they chuckled and mumbled something along the lines of them being adorable.

 

The journey back home was certainly a nightmare for Eunji.

 

Her mother has a sharp tongue and her words hurt. It makes her angry that Eunji has the attitude to talk back. The girl doesn't understand why girls must always behave feminine and gentle. She doesn’t understand why it is wrong to fight for what is right. She wants to be who she wants to be.

 

"Jung Eunji, you do not talk back to me!"

 

"I can say whatever I want! Hit me all you want mom! I’m already immune to it!"

 

Her mother sighed, deciding to just focus on driving.

 

Returning home and getting down the car, Eunji noticed that Naeun is back as well. She sees the girl standing at the gate, somewhat deciding whether to approach her or not. The sight brings a smile to her face as Eunji walks up to the girl.

 

"Hi." She waved over, eyes curious at what Naeun is hiding in her palm.

 

"H-Here."

 

A red sweet candy.

 

"For me?"

 

Naeun nodded shyly, cheeks heating up in a pink hue as she's still trying hard to process her words. But Eunji is patient and has all the time in the world to listen.

 

"T-Thank you for today..."

 

"No problem Naeun. I did what was right." Eunji smiled widely, somewhat proud that Naeun's trying her best to speak more, communicate more and express her feelings more.

 

She and patted her head, "You did good, Naeun. Thank you for the sweets!". Although it isn't much but it held a lot of meaning to Eunji, knowing how much of effort and thought was put through this little gift.

 

From then onwards, Eunji promised to protect Naeun. Whether it be boys or girls, animals or insects, she's ready to fight them all. Naeun's just too precious and she'll never want to see her cry.

 

Not on her watch.

 

 

 

 

Sixteen years old

 

 

 

 

The age of adolescence; raging hormones and puberty.

 

Now in high school, both girls have gone their own different paths due to their academic performance. Naeun belongs to the first-grade class and is one of the top students. It is expected. After all, she's quiet, studious and the teacher's favourite. But it is a pity that she does not plan on furthering her studies into the medical or science field. Her passion lies in art.

 

Naeun is a bit more confident and well-spoken now, which is definitely a huge progression (Eunji played a big part in that). A member of the arts club, she has her own group of friends.

 

There’s Hayoung, the "anime-geek" who likes to draw illustrations of Japanese cartoons. At times, she's kind of funny and Naeun likes her weird gags. There's also Namjoo who is passionate in fashion design. Every time, she would pester Naeun to be her model because she fits the category of a "perfect body".

 

But all three of them have something in common; they both dream of working in the creative field one day.

 

"Naeun unnie, are you free later?" Namjoo slipped into the empty seat beside her, hands clasped together as she blinked her eyes.

 

"You need me to fit into your clothes again?"

 

The girl smiled widely. "You know me so well!"

 

"I guess I have time...let me see the designs. I don't want to wear something weird like last time."

 

"Excuse me, did you just diss my beautiful Shin-Chan pyjamas?!" Hayoung said from the other side, hands busy drawing onto the tablet.

 

"I didn't say anything!" Naeun giggled, heading over to Namjoo’s side to check her tablet.

 

Eunji on the other hand, is in the lower-grade of classes.

 

A bit behind, she's gotten a few B's, C's but never a fail. She's still the same old. It's normal to hear her loud voice fighting a few boys along the corridors and then teachers intervening. Detention is Eunji’s usual place to go. But she’s also an active member of the football team. Having gone onto competitions, winning prizes and bringing reputation to the school, she’s somewhat a blessing and also a curse to the school.

 

Eunji too, has her own group of friends. There's Bomi who’s just like her. Not very smart, but active in sports and the better part, she's hilarious. The two are best friends who are well-known among others to pull pranks on their classmates. It's all fun and games until the student president, Chorong catches them. Yes, these three are unexpectedly friends.

 

"I don't know how many times I have to tell you this but...please grow up!" Chorong sighed, reprimanding the two at her office. "You know that I don't like to do this."

 

"Aw come on, I had a good laugh when Seungyoon's was stuck to the seat. We sure put a lot of glue for that!" Bomi snickered as Eunji offered a high-five.

 

"Whose idea was it?!"

 

"It's Eunji!"

 

"No, it's Bomi!"

 

The president sighed. She doesn't have time to play their games. As much as she cares a lot about her friends, she is still the student president. She can't look the other way when they cause trouble all the time.

 

"That's it. Both of you, detention class for TWO hours. TWO."

 

"Oh, great decision! I can take a long, good nap!" Bomi grinned, casually waddling out of the office until her collar is pulled back by Chorong. The president began to give the girl another earful of scolding. But Eunji sighed. The fact that she'll be back home late means that she missed another opportunity to go home with Naeun.

 

Honestly, she hasn't been talking much with her.

 

Naeun's been so busy with her art projects, she's got her own group of friends now and she seems...happy. It's a bittersweet feeling for Eunji who is relieved that Naeun is handling well on her but, sad that she’s all grown up. Reaching out for her phone, she began to text the girl in her head.

 

"Naeun-ah, sorry. Don't wait for me. Go home without me. I've been detained again."

 

Beep.

 

"Why am I not surprised? keke Do you want me to get you anything?"

 

"No, it's fine. But I do want is to spend more time with you. Free during the weekend?"

 

"Sundays, yes. Need help with math?"

 

"Oh god, yes please Naeun."

 

"Keke, I'll see you on Sunday then. My house."

 

"Eunji, what are you smiling for?"

 

"H-huh, what?" The girl stuttered, quickly hiding her phone away as she looked at Chorong and Bomi who stared at her suspiciously. "N-nothing."

 

"See, I told you. She at telling lies." Bomi whispered.

 

"Yeah. It's pretty obvious."

 

"I-I'm just texting my mom that I'll be late!"

 

"Yeah...sure." The two rolled their eyes and began to tease Eunji.

 

Even though they've gone into their different paths, Eunji and Naeun always try to make time together. Whether it is going home together, working on homework together, it's a promise that they've made upon entering high school.

 

But sometimes, promises are hard to keep.

 

 

 

Eighteen years old

 

 

 

Eunji knows that a lot of boys have been crushing on Naeun, simply because she fits the perfect ideal of a girlfriend. She's kind-hearted, gentle, soft-spoken and the most important of all, beautiful. She's the flower that stands out among the rest and Eunji knows because she can feel people staring at her whenever she finds time to meet Naeun at her classroom. It's obvious that rumours would begin to spread.

 

Even when people found out they were childhood friends, it created more trouble.

 

Boys tried to get closer to Eunji as a means to find out more about the introverted Naeun who either studies at the library or stays at the art room painting. They would forgive everything that the girl has done, treating her food and doing favours. Despite all that, Eunji refused to sell Naeun out.

 

The fact that there are boys lining up to win Naeun's heart, turned Eunji’s protective mode on. Like a fierce white tiger whose fangs and claws were ready to attack, she swore under her breath to never let anyone hurt Naeun. Eunji knows Naeun best, and if anyone plans on becoming her boyfriend, they have to pass her first.

 

"You seem to be in a bad mood, Eunji." Bomi asked, noticing the change in atmosphere as her best friend has been quiet, noisily flipping through the science textbook. She can see her fuming nostrils and flaming eyes.

 

"Eunji...are you studying...?" Chorong mumbled as she exchanged glances with Bomi, who knew exactly what to do. With a nod, they stood up and brought their chairs closer to the said girl. "Something bothering you?"

 

"You can tell us. We are your best friends. We'll keep everything a secret."

 

Eunji sighed, closing the textbook with a loud slam. "It's nothing."

 

"Come on. We know how terrible you are at lying. Something's bothering you and it's o-b-v-i-o-u-s."

 

"Whatever. I think I'm gonna head home early."

 

"This is about Naeun isn't it?" Chorong dropped the bomb, causing Eunji to freeze still in front of the door, arm still hanging on the doorknob.

 

"I-It's not." She turned around, eyes looking away. A clear indication of a terrible liar.

 

"As long as you don't become an and start fighting with people, I'm not going to shout at you Eunji. Now, come back here, sit down and talk to us." Chorong said in a stern yet calm tone, pulling the chair back out and patting the seat.

 

Eunji clenched her teeth and sighed, returning back like an obedient dog. The president is just a year older, but she still respects the .

 

"So what's this about Naeun? I mean, I know you two are childhood friends. Did...something happen?" Bomi asked carefully, walking carefully on the thin ice as she knows how scary her friend is, when she's really angry.

 

"Boys."

 

"Boys?"

 

"Naeun told me that she's been receiving love letters in her locker. Love confessions directly." Eunji clenched her fists, just thinking about it. "And knowing her, she doesn't know how to reject people. She's just a really soft, kind-hearted girl who doesn't know how to say no. I'm just glad that Namjoo and Hayoung were there to draw the line."

 

"Ah...." The two said in unison, causing Eunji to raise her eyebrow.

 

"What's with that reaction?!"

 

"Oh no, nothing! It's just well- we don't really know how to give you advice on that because...Naeun is really popular among the boys." Bomi said, nudging Chorong to lead on.

 

"Yeah. It's not that confessing to someone is a sin. And after all, it's up to Naeun's choice to say yes or no."

 

"That's not the point! Argh, never mind- I'm leaving."

 

"Wait, to where?"

 

"To the art room! Naeun's there."

 

"O-okay, uh- bye I suppose-"

 

The door slams behind, leaving Bomi and Chorong alone.

 

"Do you think she's really dense about her own feelings?" Bomi asked, shaking her head in thought.

 

"I think Eunji is confused between platonic and actual love." Chorong sighed. "This is going to get complicated unless one of them realise their feelings for each other."

 

"Yeah I mean, have you seen how happy Naeun becomes when she's with Eunji? She literally blossoms into a full flower! Like wow...she's honestly really beautiful..."

 

"I'm just going to assume that both of them are fools."

 

Walking past the corridors, up the staircase and turning into one of the rooms, Eunji slid the door open with a loud thud, causing Naeun to flinch and smear her painting.

 

The girl was about to stand up and scold Eunji, until she saw her angry gaze. It's fuming with fire and jealousy. For a moment, it made her small. But it's not the first time she's seen her like this and most of the times, Naeun knows the reason behind it.

 

But today, she has no idea.

 

"E-Eunji?" Naeun stood up carefully, watching the girl head towards her without any word.

 

"What did you say to Taemin today?"

 

"W-What?"

 

"Did you say yes to his confession?"

 

"Eunji, why are you so mad for-"

 

"I said did you say yes or not?!" This time, she shouted at her, startling the girl and causing tears to well up in Naeun's eyes.

 

"I-I didn't! I said no!"

 

"Do you like him?"

 

"H-He's nice..."

 

"Do you want him to be your boyfriend?"

 

"Eunji, why are you asking me all this- you're making me scared...and you're holding my hand too tight...it-it hurts..." Naeun winced, feeling the tight grip on her wrist.

 

Immediately, the girl let go and realised what she has done. Nothing but guilt engulfed her heart. It happened again. She allowed anger to take over rather than logic sense.

 

". I'm so sorry." She sighed, pulling Naeun into an embrace.

 

"I'm sorry Naeun. I-I just...I just felt really angry that those boys were openly confessing to you like it's nothing. I wanted to protect you because I know those boys are up to no good. All they think about is playing around the hearts of girls and feeding their satisfaction. I don't want that to happen to you." Eunji squeezed everything into one breath, running on like a train.

 

"Mm...I know. Namjoo and Hayoung tell me the same too. To never trust men. But I know that doesn't mean all men. Just some...like them."

 

"I'm sorry I scared you. I promise I'll never lash out on you again." Eunji pulled back, wiping Naeun's tears with her fingers.

 

"Break it and you owe me something."

 

"No problem! I'll do anything for you Miss Naeun!" The girl said confidently, crossing her arms and wearing a smirk, causing Naeun to giggle.

 

There she is, the familiar Eunji that she knows.

 

A week later, Eunji returned to the gym lockers after a basketball game.

 

She's all sweaty, muscles tensed up and needing a good, cold shower. High-fiving with her members and talking about their win, she stayed back to cool down by doing stretches and breathing exercises. That is until, she hears a group of boys coming in to change. Noticing their familiar tone of voices, the girl hid behind to eavesdrop.

 

"Hyung, send me the photos to me alright? You're really the best!"

 

"Naeun's a very easy target because she's so aloof, she doesn't know what's going on. I'll give you a preview."

 

"Wooooah!!! That's a nice up-shot! Man, look at her tone! Sweet!"

 

"Ah, if only Taemin won her heart, he would've been such a lucky man huh?!"

 

"Yeahhh, and maybe we could take turns! Just imagine what she would-"

 

Eunji couldn't listen in anymore. It was suffocating and disgusting. She dropped her towel and revealed herself from behind, clenching her fists together.

 

"Hey."

 

"Oh. I didn't know you were in here too, Eunji. Guess our secrets been spilled huh?"

 

"Yeah. And you lot are a bunch of disgusting s. Secretly taking inappropriate pictures of Naeun? Wow. How low can you get?"

 

"Talk higher and you'll regret, Eunji. There's seven of us. We'll break your leg and keep you quiet."

 

"Ha." Eunji scoffed and glared at them. "Try me."

 

And the rest onwards, was history.

 

It started off with yells, shouts, grunts. Banging of the metal lockers, squeaking sneakers and then, spills of blood. Minutes in and there were students crowding around, teachers running in to stop the fight. It was the first time that it has escalated to such a level.

 

And it could only mean one thing.

 

Suspension.

 

Naeun ran along the hallways with Namjoo and Hayoung following behind. They heard the news in the middle of class and did not hesitate to leave. Arriving at the sick bay, the nurse was busy tidying up Eunji’s wounds. She’s got a big plaster on her forehead and a bandage on her right arm.

 

"Hi- ouch..." Eunji tried to greet Naeun by waving her arm but obviously that hurt.

 

"Excuse me, Jung Eunji, please stop moving." The nurse scolded only to turn around and see Naeun, Namjoo and Hayoung standing by the door. "More visitors? Oh well, I suppose you have a lot of friends. Ten minutes and then I'll come back." She left the room, leaving them their own private space.

 

"What the hell happened to you? There's blood and bruises!" Namjoo gasped at the state of Eunji.

 

"Quick, what's 1 plus 1?" Hayoung asked.

 

"Two, dummy." Eunji chuckled. She's touched that they've come to visit her during class hours. And she feels more touched when she sees that worried look on Naeun's face. "Don't give me that look Naeun. I'm fine. Really." She smiled softly at the girl who clearly was a bit mad at her actions.

 

"What did you do?" Naeun sighed. "I heard that Taemin and his friends were involved..."

 

"Yeah. They talked bad things about you so I gave them a beating that they'll remember forever."

 

"You're always...risking yourself for me. Stop that Eunji..."

 

"I can't, Naeun. I promised to protect you for life. And if you ever, truly fall in love with someone in the future, they have to get my approval first." Eunji grinned.

 

"You're like a mom." Naeun mumbled, unable to fight against that. Eunji’s words made her heart flutter a bit and it felt warm. In the end, it’s always Eunji.

 

Her shield, her home, her everything.

 

"Well, maybe I am a mom. A very annoying one."

 

“Yeah, very, annoying.” Naeun finally broke into a smile.

 

"Uh, I guess the two of us will leave then. So much for running all the way here, huh?" Hayoung said with lots of sarcasm, pulling Namjoo towards the door.

 

"Hey, hey! I'm grateful for your concern guys! Come back here! Let's talk about something else!" Eunji said, causing Naeun to laugh.

 

Ever since that massive fight, it was big news and gossip.

 

Everyone claimed Eunji as a hero, some regarded her as a scary monster who shouldn't be messed with. But nobody knew what caused it. The authorities decided to keep the incident a secret, knowing that it would cause a bigger ruckus and mess to the school if the identity of the victim was exposed.

 

Instead, all seven boys were expelled from high school. Only Jung Eunji was given a month of suspension.

 

"Hey Naeun, are you free?' Bomi asked, randomly popping into the art room where she was. The three art students were working on an art exhibition that was due the following month. "Okay actually, are all of you free?"

 

"If this is about plotting a prank on someone, count me out." Hayoung said, eyes still focusing on drawing.

 

"If this about food, I'm all in! But you gotta wait for me to finish threading this first." Namjoo mumbled, fingers busy with sewing.

 

"I'll think about it. Why?" Naeun asked, eyes focused on her canvas.

 

"Eunji's been really sulky and bored because she's stuck at home. She's basically rotting away and we need to save her before she dies. Chorong and I have a plan. Do you guys wanna help out?"

 

"Count me in!" All three said in unison.

 

It starts with a week in planning. They ditched their evening activities to go shopping, prepare items for the big day and even called up Eunji's parents in advance, who gave the green light.

 

Saturday comes.

 

Eunji's parents suddenly tell the girl that they're going over to grandma's for a visit and only coming back in the morning. It leaves her confused but she doesn't really care. All she's been doing is rolling around in bed, watching the TV, reading books and browsing the Internet. It's not like she can go anywhere because her mother confiscated her wallet and transport cards.

 

Chorong, Bomi, Naeun, Namjoo and Hayoung squeezed themselves at the entrance, trying very hard to keep quiet as they pushed Naeun forward to press the doorbell.

 

“W-Why me?!” Naeun whined, unable to fight back against their force.

 

“Eunji will obviously be much happier to see you first!”

 

“We all know that you’re the closest to Eunji, so you’re the perfect fit!”

 

“Yeah!”

 

“Ugh, fine.” Naeun rolled her eyes. A loud ring echoed through the air and tt takes a couple of seconds until the door opens.

 

"Surprise!!!!"

 

All of them shout in unison, surprising Eunji who almost shouted out loud. Her eyes widened at the objects that her friends were carrying.

 

"W-What are you guys doing here?!" She asked, lips slowly turning upwards as she's unable to hide her happiness. She’s smiling from ear to ear and it’s an expression that made her friends relieved.

 

"Well, what do you think we’re doing?” Hayoung asked.

 

“Duh! Obviously, camping, barbeque party, sleepovers and stargazing!” Bomi shouted as they all scrambled inside Eunji’s house.

 

It’s the perfect plan.

 

There were tents set up at Eunji’s spacious open rooftop. The girls decorated the dull walls with colourful light bulbs and took turns to cook the meat that they bought. Throughout the night, they settled under the comfy blankets and stargazed the night skies.

 

From counting the number of stars to deep conversations, it was an all-girls night without any alcohol because everyone was underage. In moments like these, friendship was so precious and meaningful.

 

Past midnight and everyone’s knocked out—well, not all. Eunji turned her head to Naeun who was lying down beside, sneakily intertwining her fingers with hers.

 

“I felt that.” Naeun whispered, opening her eyes as she smiled at Eunji giggling.

 

“Oops. Did I wake you up?”

 

Naeun shook her head. “I wasn’t sleeping anyway.”

 

Silence followed as the two continued to stare up at the night sky, hands still attached to one another.

 

“Thank you Naeun.”

 

“Don’t thank me. This was Bomi’s idea.”

 

“I know. But I’m glad that you came too.”

 

“What makes you think that I wouldn’t come?” Naeun pouted, tightening the grip. “Of course I’ll come. You did so much for me, Eunji.”

 

“Yeah, I did.” Eunji smiled.

 

“I know that I lack a lot in many ways and in the end, you’re always there to save me from all these troubles. I…I don’t know if it’s just me and my own problems, but I want to work my way to become a better person. Is it…okay if you can teach me how?”

 

“Aww…”

 

“W-What? Why are you reacting like that?”

 

“Nothing.” Eunji giggled as she pulled Naeun into an embrace. “Aigoo~ our Naeun has grown up so well! It makes me so proud!”

 

“Stop saying that…it makes me feel shy…” The girl murmured, feeling the heat going up to her cheeks.

 

“And that just makes you even cuter!” Eunji laughed, squeezing the girl’s red cheeks in her palms and teasing her.

 

 

 

 

Twenty years old

 

 

 

Incheon Airport.

 

A place of meeting and parting. A place of new beginnings and returns.

 

Their high school graduation was just a week ago. It was all fun and games, celebrations and laughter. Surprisingly, everyone managed to pass their examinations and were now onto a new path of life. They were ready for the turmoil and challenges of the adult world.

 

Eunji told herself that she will keep her emotions intact. She’s not a woman who cries so easily. After all, today is the day that Naeun is leaving to Austria.

 

Her smart, creative friend earned a scholarship at a prestigious art university and as part of the requirements, she was to start her semester in a week’s time. No breaks, no rests.

 

Eunji’s happy for her. It has always been Naeun’s dream to travel to Europe and embrace it’s art culture. Even so, she’s bitter that Naeun will leave her side. She won’t be there to take care of her, protect her, and comfort her in those dark times. Of course, there are still video-calls to keep in touch but that’s different.

 

“Take care of yourself okay?” Eunji murmured, pulling the girl into a warm hug. She tightened the grip, taking a sniff of her rose-scented hair for one last time.

 

“It’s just three years, Eunji. I’ll be back soon.” Naeun smiled, pulling back as she took a closer look at her expression. It’s so obvious that she’s holding back.

 

The two looked at each other, knowing that whatever happened that night, will remain a secret between the both of them. Surely, it was the fault of alcohol and nothing else. But then again, feelings don’t lie.

 

This happened during their graduation party. It was a private karaoke night with their friends. Bomi and Hayoung were belting out awful notes while Namjoo and Chorong were quietly hitting onto the tamborines and cheering the two. Eunji and Naeun on the other, watched and laughed. Everyone was in a good mood, and each had their own share of alcohol.

 

But Naeun wasn’t good at handling alcohol and already, she can feel her stomach churning up.

 

“I’m going to the toilet for a bit.” Naeun said, standing up and leaving the room. But Eunji followed her, worried that she might get lost. Worried that some strange guy might randomly bump and flirt her.

 

At the empty restroom, Naeun the faucet and washed her face.

 

“You okay?” Eunji asked, leaning against the wall with a worried look. “You didn’t have to force yourself to drink. It’s just Bomi and Hayoung who likes to go overboard with the games.”

 

“I know. It’s just, I felt like it.” Naeun turned around with a sheepish smile. “When will I ever have such fun like this?”

 

Eunji smirked, knowing that the girl in front of her is clearly tipsy. She looks so cute and adorable like that. The way her eyes land softly, the shy grin on her face and that blushing glow. It’s so…beautiful.

 

“Will you miss me, Eunji?”

 

“Of course. We grew up together and suddenly, you’re gonna leave my side. Of course I’ll miss you, Naeun.”

 

The girls were a bit high on alcohol and because of the mood, it’s a strange feeling. The way Naeun is just staring at her so closely, the way Eunji can feel her breath caressing down .

 

She doesn’t know why, but she feels like doing it. And she has a good excuse. She can lie that she was drunk.

 

‘I’m gonna miss you Eunji.”

 

“Me too.”

 

They’ve gone silent, nervous as their hearts are thumping with excitement. They’re leaning in, noses grazing each other and slowly…lips touching.

 

It was shy, careful move. But suddenly, everything inside their chests exploded. They dived a bit deeper, a bit more confident.

 

Tilting her head and melting her lips inside hers, Eunji tasted the bittersweet alcohol left in Naeun’s mouth. Maybe first kisses are like that, she isn’t sure. She thought it would be weird to kiss her. But surprisingly it felt good.

 

The occasional breaks and breaths in between, the soft, shy gazes at each other and the heat burning up their skins. They’re kissing.

 

Kissing like mad.

 

Making out like it was the end of the world.

 

And it wasn’t just going to stop there. Both wanted more. Both yearned something else. So, Eunji lead Naeun into an empty cubicle at the far end. Slamming the door shut and pushing the girl against the board, she crashed back into , kissing and smacking, marking every point inside.

 

Pushing back and forth, letting each to have a chance, the girls were so lost in the space of kissing that it’s so hot and spicy. They wanted more than just kisses. Something more enticing and exciting than making out.

 

It was natural body desire.

 

“Promise me you’ll keep this a secret.” Eunji breathed, hands already ready at her waist. She can’t think straight and all she wants now, is to follow her feelings. To follow her needs and wants at this very moment.

 

Naeun nodded, face washed with desire. She gulped nervously, yet feeling the intense heat at her bottom. “It’s a secret between the two of us.”

 

And it was a moment sealed forever in their memories.

 

Ever since that steamy night, Eunji and Naeun pretended that none of that happened. They did not make out inside a cubicle nor did they performed oral on each other for the first time.

 

Nothing happened.

 

It was simply the cause of alcohol and nothing more. A good excuse that no one can blame.

 

But time does not wait for anyone.

 

“I have to go now.” Naeun said, hesitantly pushing Eunji away. They were hugging for a long time and time does not wait for anyone, even though she really doesn’t want to leave.

 

“Yeah. Can’t miss your flight. Text me again when you have boarded the plane okay?” Eunji sighed, eyes never letting go of the girl. Her hands are brushing on her shoulders, gently circling her thumbs around her palms and trying it really hard to let her go.

 

“Sure. I’ll text you again when I’ve reached Austria.”

 

“Mm. See you soon, Naeun-ah. Stay safe and don’t trust men, okay?!” Eunji waved, watching Naeun move further and further away. She wanted to run after her, pull her into another hug and maybe, take her away. But she knows she can’t do that.

 

She must let Naeun go.

 

 

 

 

Twenty-four years old

 

 

 

The bustling city of Seoul.

 

Crowds filling the space and people walking and running, it will always be busy.

 

In an office building where hundreds of white-collar workers spend half of their life serving companies, type away at their computers like zombies. When the clock strikes twelve, that’s when everyone returns back to normal. Chatter breaks the silence as people rush to get food either at the canteen downstairs or heading out to a nearby shopping mall.

 

“Come on, Eunji. Let’s go get lunch!”

 

“Yeah, after I finish up. Just a bit more!” The woman nodded, eyes were busy staring at the screen. Fingers dancing on the keyboard, she works very hard.

 

She should be working hard.

 

In such a competitive world where one needs to find ends meet, Eunji is more than lucky enough to able to put food on the table.

 

“Finally, done!” The woman groaned, stretching her arms and stood up, only to see the whole office empty. “Wow, they really left without me huh?” She mumbled, taking her phone and noticing there were several unread messages. Only one caught her attention: a message from Son Naeun.

 

I finish at 5 today. Museum is closing early because of the light festival. – Naeun

 

God bless! Okay, I’ll meet you there later! Hehe~ - Eunji

 

The thought of meeting Naeun is more than enough to give her energy to continue working. Ever since Naeun returned from Austria and began working as an apprentice at the National Art Museum, her schedule has been tight.

 

But in opportunities like these, Eunji is more than grateful to have a chance and meet her. When it becomes harder to meet someone, the more meaningful it is to spend time together.

 

Eunji bought a quick lunch at the convenience store and continued to power through her day until five. Leaving early because she managed to complete all of her work, Eunji excitedly left the office and passed by a cake shop.

 

She pondered for a while and decided to step in, purchasing a slice of carrot cake. The woman grinned, knowing that Naeun will love it. It’s her favourite dessert after all.

 

Taking the train down and arriving at the entrance of the National Art Museum, there are already decorations hanging onto the lamp posts and people crowding around to witness the annual light festival.

 

The National Art Museum is a common place for Eunji. She knows where everything is at, thanks to the personal tour that Naeun gave her. Casually walking in and greeting the receptionist who knew that she was here for Naeun, Eunji entered the small office and knocked on the door.

 

“Hey.” Eunji greeted Naeun with a smile, raising the plastic bag containing the cake.

 

“Oh, I expected you to be late. And, you bought my favourite dessert?”

 

“Of course. I’m sure you’ve been craving for something sweet after spending a whole day with paintings. Come on, let’s go out and see the light festival.”

 

Seated on a bench at the National Park, the whole place has been lighted up with brilliant colours mixed with oranges, blues and pinks. There are couples cuddling, children running around and lanterns floating in the skies. It’s definitely a bit romantic, no doubt.

 

Sharing the slice of carrot cake together as they observed the beautiful view, there was a comfortable silence between the two. They always talk about the same things.

 

About their nasty bosses, weird clients and random moments at work. But they’ve never had the time to actually talk about something else.

 

To talk about themselves.

 

“I’m surprised that you didn’t stain your clothes today.” Eunji teased as she cleaned up.

 

“Hey, I’m not a baby okay.” Naeun whined, dusting her pants.

 

“Well, you’ll always be a baby to me.”

 

“W-What was that about…” The woman blushed, clearly not expecting that comment.

 

Eunji chuckled and without hesitation, lifted her finger, wiped a smear of cream on Naeun’s lip and it into . It’s sweet, just like the woman in front of her. It makes her happy knowing that Naeun’s by her side.

 

“There’s millions of art pieces in the world but nothing seems more beautiful than reality.”I Naeun mumbled, eyes focused on the floating red lanterns. She’s been thinking about things. Maybe it’s a bit therapeutic to just relax with someone she feels comfortable with, and get lost in her thoughts.

 

“What about me? Am I art too?” Eunji joked, cupping her cheeks together and looking at the woman who giggled in response.

 

“Maybe.” Naeun leaned over with a smile. She pondered for a while and suddenly leaned in, softly pecking her cheek. And in a second, Eunji’s face lit up in a pink hue.

 

She’s never done that. It’s got the woman flustered but then again, it gave her another boost of confidence.

 

“Naeun. Do you still remember that one night we kissed and did…things with each other?” The woman asked carefully.

 

“Yeah…I do.”

 

“Do you think…we could become more than just friends? I mean-“

 

“I thought we were already more than that.”

 

Eunji looked at her in surprise, but later turned into a wide grin, her heart fluttering and blooming by her words. “Hey…are you confessing to me?”

 

Naeun shrugged cutely, feeling a bit shy now that she’s said it. “I thought you already knew. Wasn’t that night supposed to be the answer already?”

 

The woman looked on fondly with soft eyes, listening intently to her words while holding her hands.

 

“I know it feels weird saying this because we’ve known each other since we were kids but…I thought it was just that. I mean…we’ve kissed and you never said anything back so I thought-“

 

Eunji replied Naeun back with a chaste, gentle kiss. She doesn’t have anything to hide anymore. Or rather, she doesn’t know why she has never said anything. If things were done quicker, their relationship would’ve progressed so much more.

 

She should’ve known from the beginning, that they were meant to be together.

 

“Be my girlfriend, Naeun?”

 

The woman giggled shyly, not sure what to respond. “It’s so weird to hear you say that.”

 

“Oh come on, that’s a good phrases to say in the middle of this romantic mood.” Eunji whined.

 

“I was just joking.” She smiled. “Of course I’ll be your girlfriend.” Her answer was enough to let Eunji to kiss her again, and again, under the fluttering lights of the festival.

 

It took the two of them a long way, and maybe it was all about the right timing.

 

 

 

 

Twenty-eight years old

 

 

 

A cozy apartment home situated in Gangnam.

 

A perfect place for two people to live in. There’s a quaint kitchen, living space, attached bathroom and a comfy bedroom. In the wee hours of morning, a couple has their backs faced against each other. Covered under their warm blankets, there is an odd, empty space in the middle.

 

As warm light seeped through the curtains, the peaceful silence is broken by the sound of a ringing alarm. But in just seconds, it is shut off and a woman rises from the sheets. Rubbing her eyes and looking around the messy room, she sighed.

 

No, she isn’t going to clean it up. Not for the nth time. Naeun turned around and took a sniff of the woman sleeping beside. Zero sign of alcohol. Well, at least, she made an effort to shower to cover up the evidence but Naeun knows all of her tactics.

 

It just makes her more upset.

 

Washing her face and getting ready, the woman wore the silver ring through her finger. She never forgets it. Putting on a brown coat and taking one last look at the mirror, Naeun leaves for work.

 

The woman is now an art curator at the National Art Museum who is also in charge of developing new pieces of paintings for various exhibitions. It’s a busy, tiring job but Naeun loves it.

 

Art is the only thing that makes her happy now. It makes her forget about Eunji.

 

She thought her life will become more colourful after getting married to her. But it seems that it’s just a naïve dream. Why did she even marry her, when all she does is come home drunk and start pointless arguments?

 

The woman she loved since the beginning, where did she go?

 

Hours into the afternoon and Eunji finally wakes up. Her head still dizzy from last night, she lifted her heavy body up to see the mess she made. Usually, Naeun cleans it up but she’s stopped doing it and it’s obviously passive-aggressive move on her.

 

She doesn’t know how it started. They’ve been arguing on and off, for the past months.

 

Not wanting to frustrate her day with these thoughts, she stays in bed for another ten minutes, thinking about work. Focusing on her phone, there are over a hundred unread messages. Most of these are from her clients, co-workers and business partners. Life has been quite a run for Eunji who recently started her own company two years ago and things have been going well.

 

People liked her ideas and agreed to invest. This only meant that Eunji had to work harder so that they will not be disappointed. From meetings to late night parties as a means to expand her network circle, she became a night owl who burns the midnight oil.

 

Beep.

 

“Your wife is at work, as usual. She’s talking to a group of men again. They seem to be some buyers. Picture sent.”

 

Eunji slid her finger upwards and zoomed into the picture. In an instance, she frowned. There goes a calm day at work. The fact that Naeun looked so smiley and happy with those men, was driving her angry and jealous.

 

“Thank you. Please continue to update me on the details. Your payment will be sent as per usual.” – Eunji

 

As much as Eunji didn’t want to do it, she could not help herself. Ever since she’s gotten so busy at work, she’s never had time to speak or bond with Naeun. They live under the same roof, are bounded by marriage but work opposite hours.

 

When she sleeps, Naeun works. When she works, Naeun sleeps.

 

Of course, she kept this “hiring a stalker” a secret despite the growing guilt harbouring inside her heart. Eunji did it for Naeun’s safety and protection. After all, she has money now. She has enough to spend for her wife’s sake.

 

“We really love your designs Ms. Naeun! The way the are painted across, the deeper meanings and messages felt through it. I am more than happy to finally have this in my possession!” The man grinned, shaking the woman’s hand.

 

He and s went through a long meeting in the afternoon, discussing about the painter’s future plans. Naeun still has so much potential and they are currently in talks of a France Art Exhibition at the end of the year.

 

“How many VIP passes would you like? They will be free of course. Oh!” The man eyed at Naeun’s silver ring. “Definitely one for your husband.”

 

The woman chuckled awkwardly and smiled. “My wife. Not husband.”

 

“Ah! Apologies! Yes, one ticket for your wife?”

 

But Naeun shook her head, hiding the bitter feeling inside. “It’s okay. I will attend the exhibition alone. My wife is too busy these days.”

 

“Oh no, then you must be very lonely! It is unfortunate but do not worry, we will keep you company. So, just one ticket for yourself, Ms. Naeun?”

 

The artist nodded and with that, the meeting came to an end. Bowing and sending off her clients, it is about time to close the museum. The woman shut all the lights, locked the doors and got ready to head home.

 

But home isn’t the place where she feels at home.

 

She sighed, standing in front of her apartment door. It’s always the same thing. The same cycle and turn of events. And Naeun has had enough.

 

She really has.

 

Inserting the keys and turning the knob open, Naeun collapsed her body on the sofa and allowed the serene silence to block her thoughts. She’s tired. More tired when she thinks about Eunji.

 

And speak of the devil.

 

She’s surprisingly early today.

 

Naeun rose from her seat, watching the door open to see Hayoung helping Eunji to walk. Immediately, the women went straight to her side and helped to carry her wife to bed.

 

“I’m sorry Hayoung. You have to deal with her all the time.”

 

“Yeah, it’s fine.” Hayoung shrugged, as if its normal routine. “I hope you two are okay.” She said, looking at her friend with worry.

 

“Mm…we’re fine.”

 

We’re not.

 

“Do you want a drink before you leave?”

 

“No, it’s fine. I’m meeting up with Namjoo later.” Hayoung smiled, waving goodbye as she left. “I’ll probably see you again this week when Eunji gets knocked out again.”

 

Returning back to the bedroom, all Naeun could do was sigh. Even the sight makes her upset. The way Eunji is lounging on the mattress, she’s reeking of alcohol and mumbling to herself.

 

She’s changed so much that she doesn’t even know her anymore.

 

Honestly, Naeun could leave her like that. She wouldn’t care anymore. Not to someone who doesn’t love her anymore. But no matter how much she wanted to hate Eunji, she can’t. And that’s what breaks her inside. It hurts so damn much.

 

Turning into the bathroom to escape and wiping her tears away, Naeun doesn’t know what to do anymore. She is stuck in this suffocating loophole that doesn’t seem to end.

 

“Naeun…”

 

The woman hears Eunji mumbling. She’s calling for her.

 

“Naeun…”

 

In the end, the woman goes back into the bedroom and makes eye contact with her wife. She’s seated upwards, back leaning against the board as she’s smirking and smiling— obviously, drunk.

 

“Naeun! Come over hereeee….I miss you….so much….” She mumbled, raising her two arms up, wanting a hug.

 

But Naeun doesn’t move. She doesn’t want to hug the person who hurt her feelings.

 

“Baby? Why are you crying? Hey…don’t cry…” Eunji crawled over, dragging her legs forward, pushing her body towards Naeun-

 

“D-Don’t touch me!” The woman shouted, shoving Eunji back onto the bed.

 

“N-Naeun…” It surprised her, and suddenly, Eunji’s half-sober. She’s suddenly aware of her actions, she’s back into the real world and all she sees, is her wife sobbing in front of her.

 

“Naeun…”

 

“D-Don’t touch me.” The woman froze, hands shivering in fear. She knows what she has done. And there’s no turning back now.

 

“Why are you acting so cold towards me?!” Eunji lashed out all of sudden, suddenly remembering the photo that was sent afternoon. She felt so betrayed. She doesn’t know why Naeun’s doing this to her, after everything she has done.

 

“Because-“

 

“Oh, I know. You don’t love me anymore.”

 

“Eunji, that’s not-“

 

“Then why are you flirting with those guys at work?! Huh?! You never reply my text- you never even greet me when I come home…you just don’t care about me anymore huh?!”

 

“Guys at work? Eunji…were you stalking me?”

 

“Obviously I hired someone to follow you and to update you on everything that you did!”

 

There is a saying that getting drunk is a way to spill all of the secrets, and it seems that Eunji has really outdid herself this time.

 

She ed up, real bad.

 

“Y-You…what?” Naeun widened her eyes in shock. So that was why she has always felt something weird while at work…as if someone was following her, watching her. In the end, it was Eunji’s doing.

 

“What if something bad happens to you? What if some dude hits you up and tries to you, huh?! It’s my duty as your wife to protect you even when I’m not around! Do you not remember that time when Taemin and his stupid boys did-”

 

“That was so many years ago Eunji! I’m not a baby anymore! I can take care of myself!”

 

“Naeun, you don’t understand! You don’t understand how much you mean to me! You-“

 

The woman sighed, speechless.

 

Guess she was right all along. Eunji has become so different that she is nothing but a stranger to her. All of those things that she loved about her, that woman, is long gone. Her relationship with Eunji has grown from something so bright and blooming, to a toxic, painful relationship that is just suffocating to be with.

 

Love is both a happy and sad ending.

 

“I want a divorce.”

 

Everything in the world shattered apart.

 

Everything that they’ve done together, experienced together, gone. Just like that.  

 

This was the end of everything they had.

 

“Na-“

 

But before Eunji could even respond, Naeun ran off and slammed the door behind.

 

Eunji doesn’t chase her. She doesn’t have the energy to do so. Even if she did, she’ll just collapse halfway because the world around her is spinning.

 

She doesn’t know anymore. She’s lost, confused and heartbroken.

 

It seems that the weather is sympathizing with Naeun’s feelings. Rain is pouring hard in Seoul. Traffic is at a standstill and no one is going anywhere.

 

“Gosh, it’s really heavy. Looks like you won’t be going home anytime soon”

 

Chorong gasped, closing the curtain as she handed a mug of hot chocolate to Naeun. The two snuggled on the couch, warm blanket over as they’ve decided to watch a random series on Netflix just to keep her friend’s thoughts away.

 

“I’m not going back there, unnie.”

 

“Now, don’t say that Naeun. Couples fight all the time.” Chorong frowned but she stopped, noticing that tears were welling up in her eyes. “Aigoo, come here.” She sighed, pulling Naeun into an embrace as she let the woman cry on her shoulder.

 

her head and trying her best to comfort her, this isn’t the first time Chorong has done this. Rather, her two friends have argued a lot and whenever Naeun felt like her home wasn’t hers anymore, she would come over and sleep at her house.

 

It’s what friends do. A warm friendship that has lasted for so many years.

 

“But still, I can’t believe Eunji hired someone to keep an eye on you. That’s too extreme.” Chorong said, deciding to switch off the television. “I get that Eunji’s love for you is endearing. It used to be cute. But she’s becoming obsessive these days and that’s when you need to draw the line.”

 

“I’m just upset that she doesn’t listen to me yet wants to do thing her way.” Naeun sobbed, unable to heal the hole in her heart. “It’s so frustrating unnie. I love Eunji yet, I can’t bear to hate her. What do I do?”

 

“Well, you’re not alone. Couples face this all the time.” Chorong leaned back. “The both of you lack communication. How many times in a day do you guys talk? Once? Never?”

 

“Eunji’s too busy to talk.”

 

“And what about you?”

 

“…”

 

“See?” Chorong sighed. “The problem is the both of you. It takes two hands to clap, Naeun.”

 

The woman stayed quiet. Indeed, Chorong does talk sense. Or rather, she is the most mature one out of their group. Like a mother, she’s great at giving advice.

 

“But this is your decision Naeun. Do what is right, for your own happiness. If nothing else can be changed…then there’s no other choice. Even so, I hope that you know what you’re doing Naeun.” Chorong said, knowing that she must not let her words influence her decisions.

 

She’s always remained neutral and allowed the other half to walk on her own.

 

“No, you just-oh my god, stop ing DRINKING!” Bomi yelled, having to snatch the cup away from Eunji.

 

“Shuuttt up! Naeun doesn’t love me anymore! I don’t ing care anymore, let me DRINK!”

 

“ing hell, what’s gotten to you?” Bomi sighed, looking at the state of her very, drunken and ruined friend. Earlier, she received a message from Chorong and was asked to check up on Eunji.

 

She assumed it was the usual Eunji-Naeun argument again, but she never thought that it would be this bad.

 

“Okay you know what, let’s get you home. Drinking just isn’t going to make you feel better. Hey waiter! Bill please!”

 

Handing the cash while struggling to hold Eunji with one arm, Bomi dragged her friend into the car and drove off. Parked at an empty lot, this was the best time to get everything settled.

 

It’s the same place.

 

Whenever Eunji had a breakdown, the two of them will talk it out inside the car.

 

“So, what happened this time?” Bomi leaned back, arms crossed as she obviously wasn’t going to move anywhere until Eunji said something other than whining the fact that “Naeun doesn’t love her anymore”.

 

“She asked for a divorce.”

 

“Wow…” The woman looked at her in pity. “You must’ve really ed up big time huh? What did you do this time?”

 

“I hired someone to watch her when I’m not around.”

 

“Eunji. You…are an .”

 

“Yeah. I am. So, what you gonna do about it? Leave me like what Naeun did? Go ahead. I can rot and die in hell for all I care.”

 

“Look. I’m not here to listen to your childish whine of defeat, as a friend I am hella worried for your wellbeing but please Eunji, you need to get yourself straight.”

 

“Like how?”

 

Bomi sighed. “Have you ever asked Naeun about it? Instead of assuming something, have you ever just gone to ask her directly? I’m pretty sure those men you mentioned are just her buyers and nothing else. Really thought, you two need to ing talk instead of ignoring each other and creating more problems for your relationship.”

 

“She doesn’t reply my texts either…”

 

“Well, great. That just shows how much of an you are because she’s given up on you. Naeun used to complain to me about your terrible drinking habits. She also complained to me how all you do is argue with her. Eunji, marriage is a give and take process. You can’t always have things your way. Start by organising lesser parties with your clients. Really, I’m sure they will understand.”

 

Eunji sighed. For the first time, Bomi is right.

 

“I know that you really love Naeun. All of us knows that since high school. But obsessive love just isn’t the way. What you have now, is a toxic, suffocating relationship that Naeun wants to leave from. You know Naeun better than I do. I’m pretty sure she wants her own personal space too.”

 

“…I ing hate that you’re right.”

 

“Yeah. Stop being so damn selfish Eunji. Relationships don’t work that way.” Bomi finally broke into a relieved smile. “It takes time and this is just the beginning. Now go and apologize to Naeun. Also, please tell me that you’ve already fired that dude.”

 

“Already did….” Eunji mumbled.

 

The two friends continued to sit in silence, observing the moon above.

 

“…Do you think Naeun will forgive me after all the ty things I’ve done?”

 

“Why don’t you ask her yourself?” Bomi scoffed, deciding that it is time to send her friend home. She’s done her part and now, it’s up to Eunji to fix the relationship.  

 

Returning to her empty apartment home, Eunji walked around and stared at the photo frames displayed on a shelf. It brought back good memories; entering middle school together, their high school graduation, attending each other’s convocation, celebrating their anniversaries and also their wedding.

 

“We look so happy…” The woman mumbled, clutching tightly onto the frame.

 

Turning her direction to the spotless kitchen counters which Eunji rarely uses, there are small post-its’ on the fridge. Written in Naeun’s neat handwriting, they were tiny notes of reminders such as recycling items, steps to turn on the stove or short midnight recipes.

 

These were all made out of love, for Eunji who came home late at night.

 

It was these small, little actions that reminded Eunji that Naeun still loves her so much. Yet, she was the one who took it for granted.

 

Eunji was so obsessed with her successful business that she forgot about the person who was supporting her from behind the shadows. She was so focused on entertaining her clients and raking in the cash that she hurt her in the process.

 

“…I am a terrible wife.”

 

The woman sat on the couch, recollecting her thoughts. She needed to start everything afresh. Her priority wasn’t her business nor her clients. Her priority is Naeun. She should be making her the happiest woman in the world, just like she promised during the wedding ceremony.

 

She was determined to clean after her mistakes.

 

So, Eunji dialled the number. No one picked up. Three times. Four times. Still, no answer. Well, of course Naeun wouldn’t pick up. She’s mad at her and no one in their right mind would forgive her at this rate.

 

But the woman had hope that she will return. Thus, Eunji decided to sit and wait.

 

An hour. Two hours. Three.

 

Unfortunately, Eunji’s enthusiastic plan fell through as she eventually fell asleep on the couch.

 

But it was only an hour after that, the door beeped and clicked opened. Naeun walked through the living room, somewhat surprised that Eunji was sleeping at the couch. But then she remembered the thousands of missed calls from her.

 

Maybe, there was a chance.

 

Eunji was waiting for her to come home. She made an effort to fix the broken cracks.

 

But Naeun wasn’t ready to fully believe it yet. Walking past and into the bedroom, she stopped in her footsteps.

 

“I miss you.”

 

The woman slowly turned around, only to see that Eunji was sleep-talking in her dreams. And…she was crying.

 

“I’m sorry. Please…just come back Naeun. I can’t live without you.”

 

Eunji never cried in front of anyone. She was always strong and careful with her feelings, but today, she’s an open shell. Vulnerable, weak and small.

 

Something dropped in Naeun’s heart. Even after everything Eunji has done to hurt her, she hates that she’s feeling like this. But the woman doesn’t want to fall for it. Instead, she rushes inside and closes the door behind.  

 

Heading straight to bed, she doesn’t want to think about anything else. It might complicate things further and Naeun is already set on a decision. She’s ready to head to the lawyer’s office and file for the divorce papers. There’s no turning back now.

 

Not even Chorong’s advice can stop her.

 

Naeun wakes up in the morning, to a sweet fragrance wafting through the door. She turns around to see a yellow post-it on the night stand, greeting her with “Good morning!”.

 

Rising up from bed, the floor is spotless clean. Clothes are back and arranged neatly in the closet. As she approached the bathroom door, there is another yellow post-it, “Hope you had a great sleep!”.

 

As much as Naeun knows it is a very obvious sign of Eunji trying to make up for her mistakes, she can’t help but to admit that its kind of cute. Even so, Naeun is still set on heading to the lawyer’s office.

 

Putting her coat on, she’s about to reach the doorknob until there’s another yellow post-in stuck on the board. “Ready for a surprise?” Naeun would be lying if she didn’t feel a single hint of anticipation.

 

Pushing the door open, her old paintings have been put up onto the walls. Even the ones from high school. She remembers stuffing them all into a storage because there was no place to put them and Eunji saying that she wanted a minimalistic living space. So, the woman respected her wife’s decision and kept her paintings away.

 

She sees Eunji walking and serving a plate of pancakes on the table. They make eye contact and surprisingly, the woman smiles at her.

 

That same smile she fell for.

 

“Good morning baby.”

 

Naeun doesn’t know what to say. She’s rather surprised and shocked that Eunji has gone this far. It’s also been so long since she’s done events like these. Honestly, Naeun missed it even though it was cheesy and cliché.

 

“I know. You’re mad at me. It’s my fault. But I want to make it up to you.” Eunji said, handing a stalk of rose that she was hiding somewhere. “It isn’t much but I want to apologize for all the ty things I’ve done.”

 

“Mm…you’ve done a lot of ty things. I was actually on my way to the lawyer’s office to get the divorce papers.”

 

“Oh .”

 

“But…I guess I’m going to have to cancel the appointment.” Naeun hummed, fingers fiddling on the stalk of rose that Eunji gave her.

 

Immediately, it brought Eunji into a wide grin. “I’m sorry baby. I’ll change.”

 

“And how are you going to do that?”

 

“Well…I’ve cancelled my meetings and plans so that I can go to the France Art Exhibition with you. How about that?”

 

“Hmm…”

 

“And I know it’s gonna be hella difficult for me. But I’ll try to keep the weekends free just so I can spend with you!”

 

Naeun hummed, trying hard to keep herself from smiling. She’s relieved, yet happy that Eunji is trying her best to change. She’s beginning to look more of the woman she originally fell in love with.

 

Today, she doesn’t look like a stranger. She’s the Jung Eunji that she loves.

 

“I hate the fact that I can never bring myself to hate you Eunji. I was so adamant on going to the lawyer’s office today. But…you have no idea how much I love you, idiot.”

 

Those words were so warm and light, it made Eunji remember why she fell in love with Naeun in the first place. She’s such a sweet girl who needs so much protection. She wants to shower her with all of her love and make her the happiest.

 

And Eunji promised her.

 

“Thank you for never leaving my side no matter how ty I can be.” Eunji softly pecked her lips. Now that she’s thought about it, it has been awhile since they’ve kissed. Let alone, hold hands.

 

She’s missed that so much.

 

“I love you baby.” Eunji said, kissing her again.

 

“Love you too, Eunji.”

 

 

 

 

~fin

 

 


A/N:

 

Hey guys! So, here's the first 2eun installment of the apink short stories collection series. And, nope, it's not gonna be angsty and depressive (at least not for this one). This is a pure fluff 2eun piece inspired by Sam Kim's When You Fall music video! You can check it out here

Thought it was fun to write out a life-progression of 2eun's romance from childhood to marriage life. Hope you enjoyed it, especially to all the honeybees out there! Not sure when I'll update again but see you around!