shield (chomi)🛡️

📖~apink short stories collection~📖

[This story is set in the 1960’s after the Korean War. This is a pure fictional work and anything mentioned does not relate to actual historic events.]

 

Fire in the hole!

 

Her ears are ringing, there are soldiers are running and planes are soaring across the muddy skies. As the ground shook upon each bomb hitting the ground, as more men scream and shout, she stood there exhausted. Blood dripping down her forehead, eyes wet with hot tears and nothing but a numbing pain across her left arm.

 

Oh wait. She doesn’t have a left arm anymore. From the corner of her eye, she has lost a limb. But that isn’t over. She must continue. She must press forward. Turning around, she stared at her friend crying. Her chest is soaked in red, three bullet holes down her vest and she’s already trying to breathe.

 

“I said go! Leave me Chorong!”

 

“No! I won’t let you die here!”

 

She yelled, bending down as she used the remaining energy from her right arm and dragged her friend’s collar, trying to bring her along as they tread through the dangerous battlefield.

 

“Stop it!” She shouted, using both of her arms to catch Chorong’s shoulders and pull her down to an eye-level view. “You’ll die with me if you keep doing this. You must leave.”

 

“No…”

 

Her friend smiled sadly. “You never listen, do you?” Wincing in pain as she used all that she had left to pull herself closer, leaning forward and as she pecked her lips. “I love you Chorong. Now, go…and be free.”

 

“No…” Chorong’s tears rolled down harder. “No…”

 

“EUNJI!!!!!!”

 

Gasping awake from a nightmare that seemed so real, a tear rolled down her cheek as everything around her returned back to nothing but pure silence. She could hear the birds chirping in the distance, the soft whisper of leaves brushing away and the caress of a gentle wind. It was as if mother nature was trying its best to calm her heart.

 

Trying to move and wriggle her toes, it assured Chorong that she did not damage any of her nerves. She isn’t sure whether she should be glad that she survived the whole attack. Looking around the hospital she was in, the beds are all empty except for hers. It appears that she the last patient.

 

“You’re finally awake.”

 

Stepping into the room as a nurse followed behind, he is a familiar face. Her sergeant whom she served and received orders during the World War. Sergeant Lee Bum Soo.

 

“S-Sir…” Chorong winced in pain, attempting to rise from her bed and salute him, but the Bum Soo told her to relax. “You are in no state to greet me in such manner. Rest easy.”

 

“How long was I out?”

 

“Three weeks.” Bum Soo’s face hardened, “The war is over, Chorong. The sides have been divided between the North and the South.”

 

“What about Eunji, sir? Is she okay?”

 

Bum Soo tightened the grip of his clasped hands and lowered his head. “I’m sorry. She didn’t make it.” Seeing how his soldier was slowly crumbling at the news, he was here to deliver Chorong an order. It will be the last.

 

“Chorong. With the war over, I do not want you to return back to the army. A new law has been imposed and the government does not wish to have any more females serving there. Let alone, a female under the age of twenty.”

 

“…Where will I be dispatched? You know that I don’t have a home to go to.” Chorong said, holding back her tears as she was trained to do so since the beginning. As a soldier, she was not supposed to show sadness. The loss of comrade should be nothing to her. But to Chorong, Eunji was someone special.

 

The reason was simple: the two of them were the only female soldiers serving in the Korean War. Both of them were war orphans and grew up with no one but each other.

 

“Your final dispatchment will be in the city of Seoul. The general himself went out of his way to search a suitable family that is willing to take you in as part of their own. View it as an adoption. I know that this will be hard on you as you have lived with the army the very moment you were born, but you will finally be free.”

 

I love you Chorong. Now, go and be free.

 

Eunji’s final words echoed loudly in her head. It was enough to break her down, but Chorong doesn’t. She simply nodded at Bum Soo’s final command and tried to raise her arm up to salute him for the last time.

 

“It was a pleasure serving you, Sergeant Bum Soo.”

 

“I wish you luck on your future endeavors, Chorong.” The man bowed, glancing over as someone stepped into the room. Nodding as a signal that it was okay to come in, a young teenager carefully entered and greeted Chorong.

 

“H-Hi. My name is Hayoung. I heard that you’re my older sister now.” The girl said, eyes eventually finding its way to Chorong’s mechanical left arm. Full of metal and screws, it’s something that she’s never seen before. But rather than being fascinated by it, Hayoung’s heart ached at the sight.

 

She has heard a lot about the two female soldiers fighting in the war. They have appeared on the news and through photographs captured by lucky journalists. She has done her readings and learned to sympathize with her new sister’s background.

 

“Hello Hayoung. My name is Chorong. Please take good care of me.” The lady bowed her head, staring down at her mechanical left arm, trying to move her fingers around. She is going to have to get used to these strange movements as it can obstruct the way she fights.

 

But does she have to fight anymore?

 

It takes Chorong two weeks until she is transported to her new home in Seoul. Greeting her new adoptive parents and going on a tour inside the mansion, it appears that she was brought into a noble family. Perhaps, this is the reward that she received after her long service with the army.

 

“Dear, can you please show Chorong her room?”

 

“Yes, of course mother!” Hayoung smiled, easily holding onto Chorong’s arm and dragging her upstairs. But for the soldier, she isn’t used to human touch. For all her life, she has seen nothing but death. She experienced nothing but the need to kill. The need to fight for justice.

 

Settling back into a normal life is going to be hard.

 

A week in and Chorong is already struggling. Whenever she goes onto shopping trips with Hayoung, she does everything the way a robot would do. If eggs need to be added into the trolley, Chorong scans through the aisle and only aims for the tray of eggs. She doesn’t browse through the shelves and become invested in other ingredients on display. She only follows one single goal, just like a soldier.

 

“Your payment is 90,000 won.” The cashier said, who later flinched as Chorong suddenly saluted her. Hayoung had to tell her that greeting people with a salute is going to make her look like a weirdo. But it’s a habit instilled into her since birth.

 

Upon Hayoung’s mother’s suggestion, the family decided to get Chorong a job.

 

It starts with a simple labour job. The soldier eventually got into a scuffle with other workers who accused the lady of stealing their tasks. They decided to give Chorong another job, a gardener. It was to no avail. Chorong finished her jobs way too quickly, way too perfect that she wasn’t needed. It seemed impossible for a former solider to adjust back into a normal life.

 

“You’re going to what? Father?!” Hayoung almost wanted to shout at him, hearing the suggestion that he gave.

 

“Darling, it is the only way. The job is perfect for her.” The man sighed, not wanting to have anymore headaches with angry calls and complaints of his adoptive daughter.

 

“But if she takes this job, she’ll remember about her days in the army. She’ll be sad again! She’ll…” Hayoung stopped as she saw Chorong climbing down the staircase, hearing the argument.

 

“What is the matter, father?” The soldier said politely, still maintaining a strict, upright posture whenever in front of the man.

 

“I have found a new job for you, Chorong.” He cleared his throat and adjusted his reading glasses. “You are going to become a bodyguard.”

 

 

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

 

There were whispers and mumbles echoing the meeting hall, all were unsure and worried with the sudden passing of their leader, Yoon Hyunmin. For many, it was a big loss for he died too early. Too young. But they were able to receive his final will. A will that stated that his daughter will be the one to inherit the mighty position as CEO.

 

To many, this was an absurd decision.

 

How can they allow a nineteen-year-old girl to lead a multinational company that holds partners from all around the world? How can a nineteen-year-old girl be able to understand business and trades?

 

But they had to respect it.

 

Everyone went mute as the doors opened, all bowing at their new leader as she stepped onto the platform. Walking beside her is their Hyunmin’s former advisor, Shin Jung Keun who stuck through thick and thin with him. Thus, it’s no surprise that he too will continue serving his daughter.

 

“You may sit down.” The girl announced as the crowd listened to her orders. Flipping through the logbook and scanning through what was needed to be spoken in this meeting, she was ready.

 

Although her people may seem unsure with her sudden ruling especially with her age, but Yoon Bomi has been training her whole life for this position. And she won’t let anyone underestimate her.

 

“Has the U.S agreed to purchase 200 million net worth of assets from our company?”

 

“Not yet, ma’am.”

 

“You have one week to confirm with me. Otherwise, we have to think of another solution to coax them into buying it.”

 

“Y-Yes ma’am.”

 

“I have been told that our investor from France requested for another presentation briefing before deciding to sign the contract. Please prepare for that.”

 

“Yes ma’am.”

 

Perhaps it was too early to judge their new leader. She might be doing just fine.

 

Returning back to her office, Bomi is already ordering her staff to start working on various tasks, calling up clients, arranging meetings and booking flight tickets to visit her business partners. It’s busy, busy, busy.

 

“Please do not forget to purchase an additional flight seat.” Jung Keun told the staffs as they nodded to which Bomi looked at him confused.  “Additional flight seat? Who is coming along with me? You?” The man shook his head. “Have you forgotten what we had spoken earlier, young madam? We hired a bodyguard to protect you.”

 

“What?” Bomi scoffed, not convinced. “I don’t need anyone to protect me.”

 

“Young madam, you must understand that you are a highly wanted target. You have your father’s blood, your father’s company on your hands and you do not even know how to take care of yourself.”

 

Bomi clicked her tongue, knowing that she can’t really argue with him. Or rather, she hates how Jung Keun only seems to see her as that high school girl. She wants to be seen as a mature adult. “Fine. When is she coming?”

 

“I think she just arrived.” The man smiled, hearing the knock on the door. As it opened, Bomi found herself staring at her eyes first. Never before has she seen anyone with such sad looking eyes.

 

“Greetings, Miss Bomi. My name is Park Chorong. I am your bodyguard.” The lady said with a salute, positioning her stance in an upright posture.

 

“She has served in the army for her whole life and is the last surviving female soldier of the Korean War. With her experience and abilities, all of us can rest easy that you will be kept safely, young madam.” Jung Keun explained, hoping that it would be enough to convince his boss.

 

But it seems that he doesn’t even need to say that.

 

“You may leave, Jung Keun.” Bomi ordered, “And you are to stay here.” She pointed at Chorong. With the man out of the room, the young CEO can’t help but to be very curious about her new bodyguard.

 

It’s even stranger how Chorong has been standing still in the same position ever since Jung Keun left the room. Circling around her bodyguard, eyes scanning from top to bottom, she finds her…interesting. The way she has such a sturdy build for someone as young, it makes her wonder about a lot of things.

 

“A bodyguard huh? I don’t believe it. How can someone like you protect me?” Bomi asked, highly unconvinced. “Are you a robot? Why are you so stiff?”

 

“I am afraid that I have been trained like this madam. I listen to orders. I am not trained to interact normally with anyone.”

 

Bomi raised her eyebrows in intrigue. “They didn’t get me a bodyguard. They got me a dog.” She scoffed, crossing her arms and deciding to just play along with the whole bodyguard scheme that she doesn’t buy at all. “Very well. You will be coming with me to my trip to Japan. I expect you to stay by my side at all costs.”

 

“Understood.” Chorong replied, exactly in the same tone as she did in the army.

 

 

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

Gimpo International Airport

 

Arriving foot at the place which Chorong once remembers as a battlefield, it seems strange to see it now, bustling with people. The roars of the bomber planes, soldiers shouting, guns rattling into her ears, the scene is still very fresh in her eyes.

 

“Are you okay?” Bomi asked, noticing how her new bodyguard suddenly halted her footsteps, staring into deep space. Chorong quickly returned back to reality and bowed. “Apologies madam. I suddenly remembered that this airport was once a place where I battled.”

 

Bomi looked at her, unsure whether to believe her or not. But judging from the way she said it, the way her eyes looked so sad upon that thought, maybe she really is being really genuine about it. Passing through the custom gates, the metal sensor beeped loudly as Chorong passed through. Guards searched the woman’s body only to find out that it was her mechanical left arm that made all the noise.

 

For the first time, Bomi gasped at the sight. She didn’t even know that her bodyguard was hiding the fact that she lost a limb. Under those sleeves, was a reminder of her sufferings in war. And it suddenly made a a whole lot more sense that Chorong really is from the army.

 

And for once, Bomi’s heart sank. She felt really bad for underestimating Chorong. She was too full of herself that she had forgotten that people have their own stories filled with scars. Even with the war over, it will be hard to forget the pain.

 

“Apologies for the delay. Let us proceed.”Chorong returned after a short interrogation by the officers. Bomi looked down at the woman’s left arm but decided not to comment anything on it.

 

“Let’s go.”

 

Boarding the airplane as they found their seats next to each other, Bomi can’t help but to continue exchanging glances at her bodyguard. She can’t seem to figure out why. In the first place, why would a female join the army? Why would she go through all that danger for the country? What happened to her arm? Why does she always look so…sad?

 

Frustrated how these questions keep boggling her mind yet, wanting to keep her pride by not wanting to seem curious about Chorong, Bomi simply leaned back and looked out at the window. Throughout the whole flight, the two did not make any conversation. Well, it isn’t Chorong’s place to talk anyway, she is just doing her job. And Bomi…she has her own reasons.

 

“Dear passengers, we are now approaching Tokyo, Japan. Thank you for choosing Korean Airlines. We hope to see you again.”

 

The moment the light for seatbelts were switched off, Chorong rose from her seat and easily reached her arms into the cabin compartment, taking out two luggage. The bodyguard doesn’t even let Bomi to touch them.

 

“Hey, I can take it.”

 

“Young madam, please let me do it.”

 

Bomi pouted, eventually giving up as she walked out with her bodyguard following behind. Although she did grow up having servants around her, getting the whole “princess” treatment at home, but the girl didn’t exactly like having all the attention when in public. Seeing how people were all sending glances at her and Chorong, she feels uncomfortable.

 

“Welcome to Tokyo, young madam.”

 

Haru greeted the young CEO. At last, a familiar face and Bomi couldn’t help but to briefly hug her. “I missed you unnie.” She grinned but later, losing her smile as she saw Chorong robotically putting the luggage into the boot and heading into the car.

 

“I see that the company hired a very good bodyguard for you.” Haru smiled. “A robot bodyguard that’s what they got.” The CEO whispered with a frown.

 

Once again, the ride to the hotel was nothing but silence. It’s killing Bomi inside. She can’t really disturb Haru since she needs to focus on driving. But it’s not like she could talk to her robot bodyguard who only responds to nothing but orders. Unless…

 

Bomi turned to look at Chorong. “Hey. Talk to me.” Chorong stared at her with a blink. “What do you wish to talk about, young madam?” Bomi sighed, hating how her question sounded so robotic. It frustrates her a lot.

 

“Anything! Just, talk!”

 

Chorong wondered why she is so mad but regardless, she begins to think of something. “Have you heard of Wojtek?” Bomi shook her head in response and it seems that the bodyguard has found something to entertain the lady. “Wojtek is actually a bear who served the Polish Army.”

 

“What?!”

 

For the first time, Bomi finally had a conversation with her stiff bodyguard. For the first time, Bomi has become so engrossed in a topic that she wanted to know more and more of the story. And for the first time…she saw her bodyguard smile.

 

Chorong smiled.

 

So, even a robot like you can smile so beautifully.

 

“We’ve reached the hotel.”

 

Haru announced, pulling the handbrake as she got out of the car to open the boot. Chorong did the same and opened the door for Bomi. However, at the entrance, there was a strange group of men waiting for their arrival. Chorong noticed that something wasn’t right and ordered Bomi to stay still in the car. Before the lady could even protest, Haru told her to let the bodyguard do her job.

 

“Hello young lady, I’m afraid that the rooms are all fully booked.”

 

Chorong looked at the man unamused. Eyes scanning down the tattoos on his arm, it is clear that he belongs to one of the Yakuza clans that have been causing Tokyo a lot of trouble. To her, they are nothing but a threat.

 

“We have already made a booking. Are you one of the staff members?”

 

“Oh, why yes I am.” The man chuckled, staring down at the bodyguard as a means to tease the height difference. “Let’s make a deal, shall we? I’ll let you live as long as you hand over that girl over there.” He whispered with a growl, threatening Chorong with a hidden knife between his sleeve.

 

“I’m afraid that I can’t do that.”

 

“Then, you leave me with no choice.”

 

The man scowled, motioning his men to surround the bodyguard. Just as Bomi wanted to rush out and stop them, everything unfolded so quickly in front of her eyes. It takes a twist, a hard punch and crack. Suddenly, four large men are groaning on the floor, defeated. Dusting her hands as she searched the men’s jacket, Chorong was right.

 

They are part of a Yakuza gang, Ryu. The members must have received word that Bomi was heading to the Hilton Hotel for the business conference and were ordered to intervene the process. After all, if the meeting goes well, it will benefit the social security of the Japanese.

 

Seeing how her bodyguard easily toppled those men like it was nothing, Chorong looked really cool at that moment. The way she just stood there without a single scratch, staring down at her fallen enemies as she talked with the hotel staff about the situation…Bomi’s heart began to pound.

 

“…Are you okay?” Bomi asked, quietly approaching Chorong as she scanned her eyes around her bodyguard, making sure that she wasn’t replying with a lie.

 

“Yes. I am fine young madam.”

 

“Ma..dam?”

 

“You…have some dust here.” Bomi cleared , shyly brushing her hands off Chorong’s shoulder and walking past, as if pretending that she didn’t just look really concerned about her just a moment ago. Her bodyguard followed her behind, not even questioning what that was for.

 

As they received the keys for their room, Bomi halted her steps as she opened the door. No, the room isn’t in a mess. No, there isn’t anything unusual inside. The young CEO thought that there would be two single beds. But it turns out, there was a queen bed instead. This meant that she will have to spend the night sleeping with Chorong.

 

Usually, this should be nothing. She has slept with her maids and servants before. So, sleeping with her bodyguard shouldn’t be much of a problem. Yet, why is she feeling so nervous about it?

 

“I shall go downstairs to request for a change.”

 

Chorong said, noticing the sudden silence from her master as she turned around. But Bomi grabbed onto her hand and shook her head. “No. It’s fine. It’s just one night anyway. After all, I did tell you to keep me by your side at all costs.” She smiled. “And I guess that even means when I am asleep.”

 

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

 

There is no time to rest. The moment Bomi had her luggage returned to her hotel room, Haru was already out to tell them that the clients have arrived for the meeting. Heading to the VIP room on the thirteenth floor, there was already the grand display and dĂŠcor for the special occasion.

 

“Greetings, Yoon Bomi. I am sorry for your loss. Your father was a truly great man.”

 

“Oh, you do not need to, Yasuo Namekawa-san.”

 

“Please. Just call me Kangnam.”

 

The two exchanged a handshake and bowed. “Very well, Kangnam. Let’s begin the meeting shall we?”

 

As the meeting went on, Chorong remained alert and watched out for anything suspicious. She is not at all interested in whatever the two were chatting about. Memorizing the blueprints of the whole floor, Chorong already knew where were the emergency exits and the best possible route of escape if anything happened. She was planning so ahead that suddenly, her ears picked up the sound of their chairs pulling away and the meeting was over.

 

“Pleasure to have you join our business, Mr. Kangnam.”

 

“I look forward to where this will take us, Yoon Bomi. I apologize for I have underestimated you. Your father has raised you well. Well then, I shall take my leave.” The man bowed and left the room with his own entourage of bodyguards.

 

Bomi glanced over at her bodyguard and chuckled to herself. “How long are you going to stand there? Do you think that someone is going to attack me?”

 

“No. I just…I thought the meeting would be very long.”

 

The young CEO shook her head. “I just had to cross-check with the terms and conditions of the contract. That’s all. There was a small chance that he might reject the offer but I’m glad that he is satisfied.” She stretched her arms and yawned. “Let’s go get something to eat and call it a day.”

 

As Bomi happily picked up sushi onto her plate, filling it with meat and vegetables, a buffet after a long day is one to make a girl happy. For Chorong, the young CEO looked the happiest when it came to food. She hummed to a melody while blindly picking up whatever that looked good. Oddly enough, it brings a smile to her face.

 

“Young madam, are you sure that you can finish all this?” Chorong asked carefully, her hands are full with the plates that Bomi ordered her to hold. She isn’t sure whether she is allowed to even ask the young CEO questions but, she assumed that there was nothing wrong nor offensive with the question.

 

“And what if I can’t finish it?”

 

Chorong doesn’t know how to answer. Seeing how her bodyguard stood there, pondering in thought, it leaves Bomi laughing. “You are a really weird one, you know? Don’t be so worried over anything that I say to you. Sometimes, they are a joke.”

 

“A…joke?”

 

“Yeah. Like I don’t mean it. I’m playing around with you. I guess…jokes don’t exist when you are in the army huh?” Bomi hummed in thought as she finally decided to take a seat. As she picked up her fork and spoon, she noticed that Chorong didn’t even get anything for herself. “Go on. What are you doing?”

 

“…What?”

 

Bomi laughed speechlessly. She can’t believe it. She was honestly joking when she said that her bodyguard was a robot. But in this situation, she is beginning to doubt it. “Go and get your food. You haven’t eaten anything for the whole day.”

 

“I can handle not eating for the next three days.”

 

Bomi sighed. As much as she understood how different Chorong was because of her experience in the army, the lady has decided to teach her how to live a normal life. Although she isn’t sure how, but she has her own ways.

 

“Chorong, this is an order. Go and get something to eat.”

 

“…Very well, young madam.”

 

Watching Chorong leave her seat, heading over to the section as she picked up the plate and began choosing pieces of food on display, Bomi is curious to what she would eat. The young CEO who has never once bothered about what other people ate, was here wondering what her bodyguard would be choosing.

 

Never before has she had such an interest in someone.

 

“Really?” Bomi stared down at Chorong’s plate which was just nothing but slices of bread with jam and butter. “Out of everything there was, you chose this?”

 

“I believe that it would be best to avoid raw food as it carries risk of salmonella. I cannot afford to get myself sick in this situation. As for meat-“

 

“Okay, okay! Sheesh, you don’t need to recite me a whole essay to explain your reasons why. Just…eat.” Bomi groaned, returning to poke her fork into the meat as she ate silently.

 

“…Did I do something wrong, young madam?”

 

“No.”

 

“Then why are you angry?”

 

“It’s just- look.” Bomi placed down her fork and stared at her bodyguard. “I know it’s because you have been in the army for god knows how long, but everything that you do, the way you speak, the way you act, it just…frustrates me sometimes okay? Please act the way a normal human being would act.”

 

“…I am sorry, young madam. I…I’m not sure how to act the way a normal human being would act.”

 

Looking at her with those same, sad-looking eyes again, Bomi can’t even scold her anymore. She knows that Chorong has her own history and scars hidden inside. It will take them time but Bomi wants to try. Even though she is known for not even caring about her own employee, even though she is known for acting cold around her servants, today, Bomi’s heart is starting to warm up.

 

“I’ll help you.” Bomi said. “I’ll help you learn to become human again. Just trust me, okay?”

 

That night, there was an empty space in the middle of the mattress.

 

Turning to her side as she is curled up in a ball, Bomi is no longer surprised at anything her bodyguard does anymore. Here she is, sleeping upright with her hands on her chest. Exactly like how a soldier would sleep during the war. Bomi is worried that Chorong might feel uncomfortable or she could wake up with a stiff back tomorrow. But then again, her bodyguard must have gone through that so many times, that it doesn’t even hurt her.

 

The young CEO can’t sleep. The reason is simple: Chorong. Ever since she met her bodyguard from day one, Bomi can’t help but to be curious. There are just so many questions popping around in her mind. Even more, when she saw Chorong single-handedly topple down so many men in one go.

 

“Young madam, are you not sleeping?”

 

Bomi looked over and noticed Chorong staring at her. With the moonlight seeping through the curtains, she was able to see the slight glint in those orbs. Oceans that were as dark as the horrors of war. Oceans that saw nothing but death.

 

“No. I can’t sleep.”

 

“And why is that?”

 

“…You seem to ask a lot of questions, Chorong.”

 

“I’m sorry, I-“

 

“It’s a joke. Keep asking me questions. I like them.” Bomi smiled, keeping her attention on Chorong. “Can I ask you a question instead?” The young CEO asked to which her bodyguard nodded in reply.

 

“Did something happen before you were discharged from the army?”

 

There is a silence after as Bomi patiently waited for her answer. She knows that it must be hard but she needs to know so that she can sleep in peace. “I’m not sure if I’m the only one who has noticed but, on the day, we first met, I saw your eyes. I thought they were beautiful. But…I know that they were also eyes who saw a lot of pain and sorrow.”

 

 “I lost a friend to the war.” Chorong gripped tightly onto the steel pendant around her neck. “It should have been me. Not her.”

 

“…I’m sorry for your loss. I lost my father too. The vehicle that he was on, exploded into flames after an airstrike in the city he was in.” Bomi looked down. “We all lost someone dear to us during the war. And even though its over now, it will do nothing but to continue resenting and regretting the what ifs.” The lady tried to console her bodyguard, hoping that it would make her feel better.

 

Before a master and its bodyguard, they were humans at first. Humans who had a family or a friend that they clung close to their heart. They were both victims of the war.

 

“…Thank you, young madam.”

 

Chorong smiled. And it was not a smile of sadness. Not a smile of mourning. But a smile of hope.

 

It was a beautiful smile.

 

Bomi wished to capture it forever in her heart for she thought that seeing her bodyguard smile would be a rare sight to come by. But why would she have to do that, when she can try and make her smile more? And so, the young CEO made it a note to make Chorong feel more emotions. The happier emotions.

 

Bomi wants to make her laugh. Bomi wants to make her feel joy. Bomi wants to colour Chorong’s world again.

 

 

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

 

It is a little over in the dawn that Bomi is suddenly woken up by Chorong.

 

“Young madam. I am sorry for interrupting your sleep but we must go now.” Confused, the young CEO rose up as she rubbed her eyes. “W-What? What’s going on?”

 

“We have company.”

 

Chorong said as she peeked out the curtains, seeing three suspicious vans parked outside the hotel entrance. They were currently talking with one of the hotel staff but things suddenly turned violent when one of them took out a gun and pulled the trigger. The loud bang was enough to create screams downstairs and Bomi to suddenly panic.

 

So, this was the danger that Jung Keun warned her about. The young CEO had taken it so lightly, thinking that he was lying to scare her. But this was the reality. And now, she must rely on her bodyguard.

 

“Please. Follow Me.” Chorong said, equipping a pistol that was now strapped to her belt as she quietly opened the door. Peeking through the small opening, the corridor is clear for now. It will take time for the thugs to locate their hotel room. The best time to escape is now.

 

Crouching down as the two stayed close to the wall, turning around corners as they approached the stairwell, the ding of the elevator door could be heard in the far distance. Chorong turned to Bomi and placed her finger on her lips. The young CEO nodded, knowing what it meant as they took careful steps down the stairs.

 

But it is only halfway when Chorong pulled Bomi back. The door from the tenth floor opened as two thugs entered. Slowly climbing up the steps as they were approaching the two, Chorong had to fight them. There was no other way. As much as Bomi wants to avoid this from happening, she decided to put her trust in her bodyguard.

 

Bomi watched in awe as Chorong suddenly somersaulted from the eleventh floor’s railing and landed onto the two thugs. Locking one of them in a chokehold while the other was hit unconscious with the back of her pistol, the bodyguard easily took down the two thugs without using her weapon. At this point, it would be best to not make any noise.

 

After making sure that they were unconscious, Chorong motioned Bomi to come down. “Holy shi… are you a monkey? You just jumped from there and…” Chorong suddenly placed her finger on Bomi’s lips. “Sorry young madam. It would be best to not make any conversations until we get you safe.”

 

“Right…” Bomi cleared and remained silent. Even though she can’t help but to feel Chorong’s touch still lingering on her lips, it makes her heart skip a beat. As they arrived at the ground floor, Chorong peeked through the door and the lobby was flooded with thugs. Every single exit was guarded. This is going to be a tough one.

 

“Young madam. I have already contacted for backup.” Chorong took out her pistol and checked it for bullets. “I want you to do as what I say. Okay?”

 

“Chorong…what are you…”

 

“I am going to be your shield.” The bodyguard explained. “There is an exit on the far left. I will be covering your back. On the count of three, I want you to sprint there. Once you are out, keep running out to the gardens and there will be a white van waiting for you. Please get in there and leave without me.”

 

“No.” Bomi shook her head as she held onto her. “I’m not leaving without you.” Chorong smiled. “I knew you would say that.” Removing the metal pendant on her neck, she put it on Bomi. “Make sure to always keep this with you. I’ll come back to get it.”

 

Bomi sighed, taking one last look at Chorong’s eyes. “Alright.” They were no longer sad. The oceans inside were beginning to look bright. And because of that, it looked even beautiful.

 

“Ready?”

 

Bomi nodded in reply and she clutched tightly on the metal pendant.

 

“One…”

 

The young CEO has only met her new bodyguard in just less than a week. She was never the type to care for anyone. She was always one with a cold heart. One who kept her pride up high. But today, she has changed.

 

“Two…”

 

It is all because of one person. One person who won’t leave her thoughts. One person who kept her thinking. One person named Chorong.

 

“Three!”

 

At that count, the door slammed opened as gun shots were fired away. Bomi did exactly as what Chorong told her and dashed immediately to the exit door. The young CEO never looked back. All that she could hear were the firing of bullets smashing into the walls, the grunts of thugs in pain and the shout of Chorong echoing away.

 

 

 

 

 

xxx

 

 

 

 

 

It has been one week since the attack.

 

Bomi is back safe in Seoul as news made waves over the incident in Tokyo. But there was still no sign of Chorong. And no matter how many times the young CEO had pressed on a search and rescue team, they were unable to find anything.

 

“Young madam, I am sorry but I think she is dea-“

 

“She isn’t dead until her body is found!” Bomi yelled, frightening her employees as they flinched in fear. “How hard is it to find one person?! Why can’t you do your job properly?!” She slammed her hands on the desk as Jung Keun tried to calm the lady down, telling her that Bomi was still emotionally scarred by the attack.

 

In the end, Jung Keun decided to send Bomi home. He feared that the worry would distract Bomi from work. The man ensured that the secretary and vice president can handle the current situation for now.

 

So, here she was, resting at her garden gazebo.

 

Well, she can’t really rest even after her servants gave her sweet biscuits and honey tea. Not even the beautiful flower beds can calm her mind. As she clutched tightly on the metal pendant, Bomi wants to believe that Chorong is still out there somewhere. Knowing her experience in the army, the young CEO is confident that something as small as that wouldn’t kill her. It can’t. Chorong can’t die yet.

 

There are still so many things that Bomi wants to ask her. So many things that she has yet to teach her. So many things that they could do together.

 

“Young madam…”

 

“What?!” Bomi sighed, turning to her servant annoyed. She wished that they would stop pestering her for a moment.

 

“You…have a visitor.” The servant pointed out at the gate as there seemed to be a car parked. Bomi got up from her seat and approached to the front, wondering who it would be. As the door opened, there was an unfamiliar face. A rather, tall brunette.

 

“Hi. You must be Yoon Bomi. The one that my sister was hired to protect. My name is Oh Hayoung. I am her adoptive sister.”

 

“I suppose you are here to get something from me?” Looking at how Hayoung raised her eyebrow, it seems not. “You’re not here to get this?” Bomi asked, taking out the metal pendant from her neck.

 

Hayoung looked at it with wide eyes. “Wow, she even gave you this? I guess, unnie really trusts you.” She smiled softly as she handed a letter to Bomi. “Here. I thought you might need this.”

 

“What?” The young CEO frowned as she opened up the letter only to see an address. “What do you want me to do with this?” She asked with a frustrated tone. “Why not you use your brain?” Hayoung replied sarcastically as she shrugged. “Just go to this place alone. Don’t bring anyone with you. And no, you do not need to worry about getting killed. Anyways, bye.” She waved off, heading back into her car as it drove off into the distance.

 

Eyeing suspiciously at the letter, Bomi decides to do as told. She heads off to the location: The War Memorial. After ensuring her chauffeur that she would be fine alone, Bomi walked into the memorial and looked around.

 

It is a sacred place.

 

On the stone walls were engraved names of fallen soldiers, there were bouquet of flowers placed at the side and a massive garden to remember the heroes. As she wandered around the hallway of stone walls, she noticed that she wasn’t alone. There was someone there, staring at one of the walls.

 

As she approached closer, the person’s build was beginning to look familiar. And now, it all made sense now. Bomi knew it from the start. She wouldn’t have died so easily.

 

“Chorong.”

 

She called out as the former soldier turned around. “Young madam-“ Bomi pulled her into a warm hug. Wrapping her arms tightly, she didn’t want to let go. “I knew it. I knew you wouldn’t die.”

 

“Young madam…you are hugging a little too tight…”

 

“O-Oh, sorry.” Bomi pulled back as she looked at the stone wall that Chorong was staring at. “You know, my men were looking for you everywhere. Why didn’t you just come back? You didn’t have to send out a secret letter and meet up somewhere.”

 

“It’s because those thugs are still coming after me. So, I couldn’t really walk freely. I am sorry young madam; I should have returned to you as fast as I could.”

 

Bomi shook her head in reply. “No, it’s fine. As long as you are alive, time doesn’t matter.” As they were in the conversation, a thought suddenly crossed her mind. “Oh, before I forget. I should give this back to you.” The young CEO took out the metal pendant from her neck.

 

Chorong smiled and gently pushed Bomi’s hand away. “Please keep it, young madam.” She looked up at the stone wall as she stared at her friend’s name that was engraved on it. “It belonged to my friend, Jung Eunji who was killed in the war. I want you to keep it.”

 

“…Me? But, why? I don’t think I’m anything special.”

 

“You are, young madam.” Chorong rubbed her hands across Eunji’s name. “You showed me exactly what she wanted me to do with the rest of my life. To go and be free.”

 

“Free…”

 

“You promised that you’ll help me to be a normal human again right?”

 

Bomi hummed in thought, finally realizing what Chorong meant. “Yep, I did.” She nodded, “We have a lot of things to do and learn Chorong. And the first thing we are going to start on… is going on a date.”

 

“…A date?”

 

“Yep.” Bomi chuckled, realizing just how smoothly she did that. It is going to be fun teaching Chorong how to be a human, when her bodyguard herself doesn’t even know what she’s getting into. “I think a date at the Han River right now would be perfect. Let’s go there now.” She smirked, looking at her watch. At this hour, the river would be absolutely beautiful with the sun dipping down onto the reflection.

 

Chorong eyed on Bomi suspiciously but nevertheless, decided to trust her. “What do you do on a date?”

 

“Oh, uh, you talk. Have fun. Maybe kiss…”

 

“Huh?”

 

Bomi laughed out loud. “No, it’s a joke. A date will be fun! It’s an essential thing to do once you have more friends, Chorong. Right now, you only have me okay? Later on, you’ll meet more people and have your own life too.”

 

“I am your shield, young madam. Please don’t forget that.”

 

“Of course.” Bomi smiled, eventually finding the courage to cutely pinch Chorong’s nose. “You’re my shield and I’m carrying you with me everywhere. Now, let’s go on a date.”

 

 

~fin

 

 

 

 


 

A/N: This one-shot was inspired by an anime called "Violet Evergarden". There was a time where Chorong once said that her dream was to be a bodyguard and Bomi's dream was to be president. So, I thought; why not combine those two ideas and make them into an AU? I've decided to leave it as an open ending, as it can expand to so many possibilites of where Bomi continues to teach Chorong more about the humane side of life, or the action-packed section where Chorong continues to be Bomi's shield whenever she is out on the field. Bomi saying that Chorong would carry Chorong everywhere like a shield, is actually a small reference to how Chomi are always referred to as a 1+1 pair. They are always together.

I hope that you enjoyed this short Chomi piece! See you around when I have another AU idea~ ^^ (Currently, I will be curating AU ideas from my own AU-like challenge that can be found here)