Questions

What Is Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

“I’ll do it.”

 

“You will?” Jennie asks in disbelief. After asking Lisa that first time and being refused she had assumed that Lisa wouldn’t go back on her word but now, here she stands, completely taken off guard.

“Yes.”

“Really?”

Lisa nods, her face a mask of resolution.

“But…why?”

“I-,” Lisa stops herself before she can blurt out the stupidest thing she could possibly say in that moment.

 

I love you.

 

“I…” she trails of, the sentence naturally completing itself in her head.

 

I would do anything for you.

 

Jennie scrunches her eyebrows and her head to the side, her eyes questioning, “What?”

Lisa meets her eyes, takes a moment to steel herself and tries, with all her might, to rid her mind of the traitorous words that would open her up and expose her to the shorter girl.

“I think…maybe this is the only way. If I can make Jisoo unnie happy,” she trails off again, staring at the empty space beside Jennie. She her dry lips and continues, “You just want her to be happy and I-,” her eyes travel back to Jennie’s and she sees the older girl visibly soften at her words, almost as if she already knows what Lisa is trying to say, “We may not all get what we want out of this but…a little happiness is better than none, isn’t it?”

Jennie takes one good look at the taller girl and, for just a second, she thinks that maybe she does understand why Jisoo fell for her in the first place. She quickly files that thought away in the dark recesses of her mind and forgets it ever popped into her consciousness in the first place. Then, without a second thought, she pulls the taller girl into a tight hug, their bodies melding together. She can feel the younger girl’s sweat cling to her own body and fleetingly thinks that she’ll need to shower again later. But, in that moment, she couldn’t care less because Lisa said yes, and really, that’s all Jennie wanted from her.

 

Jisoo will finally be happy.

 

“Thank you,” she mumbles into the crook of Lisa’s neck and feels the younger girl shiver under her touch, she ignores it and tightens the hug for a second before letting her go altogether.

Lisa, still shocked from the sudden hug and the way Jennie’s hot breath tickled against the sensitive skin of her neck, is unable to form any words. She numbly nods and proceeds to exit the room.

The ride back to their dorm is quiet, neither girl wanting to break the peaceful silence. It isn’t until they’re both standing just outside the door that leads into the dorm that Jennie tugs at Lisa’s arm to get her attention.

“Wait,” her voice just above a whisper so only Lisa can hear her, “how- what are you going to tell her?”

“Jisoo?”

Jennie nods.

“Don’t worry about it, I’ll think of something.”

Jennie can’t help but be aggravated at her tone, the way the words slip out of Lisa’s mouth, as if lying to Jisoo would be the easiest thing in the world. She grates her teeth together and keeps mum. If she were to truly speak her mind at this point she would surely send Lisa running once more.

“Okay.”

 

**

 

Lisa has a plan.

She does.

 

Kind of.

 

A soft knock at her door suddenly interrupts her train of thoughts and she looks away from her phone to see a short brunette poking her head inside the threshold.

“Hey,” Jisoo’s husky voice reaches her ears and Lisa’s so-called plan completely escapes her.

“U-unnie, hey.”

“I thought you’d be asleep by now, your lights are off.”

“What would you do if I was asleep though, sneak in and, what?”

“I wouldn’t really call it sneaking, you sleep like a rock, there’s no need to sneak anywhere,” Jisoo makes her way inside and closes the door behind herself, the bright moonlight guiding her steps.

Lisa opens in offense and chucks a pillow at the brunette, “I do not!”

Jisoo laughs and catches the pillow in midair, “Have you seen yourself sleep?”

“I- no, but,”

“But nothing, I have proof and you don’t.”

“What?”

Jisoo plops down on the bed next to the red-head and makes herself comfortable.

“I even have a video of it in my phone,” she says nonchalantly.

“What?! Why?”

“We were making all kinds of noise, Dalgom was barking and walked all over you, but you were just lying there, sleeping like the dead. It was funny so I took a video of it.”

“When did that even happen?”

“Last year.”

“And you still have it?” Lisa asks incredulously.

“Of course, it’s perfect blackmailing material for the future,” Jisoo turns to her, eyes sparkling with the reflection of the stars and a wicked grin on her face.

“You’re evil, you know that?”

“Just a little.”

Lisa shakes her head at the older girl and settles back down from her sitting position.

She turns to glance at Jisoo who is quietly admiring her side profile, “Are you staying?”

Ages have passed since the last time they both shared a bed together and Jisoo misses it much more than she’ll ever admit. When she opens to speak, her voice is much quieter, completely void of her previously jesting tone, “Can I?”

Lisa smiles, unable to contain herself. Sometimes Jisoo is so cute, it makes her wonder who the real maknae is in their group.

“Of course.”

Lisa closes her eyes and feels the older girl shift closer towards her body. Jisoo tries to be subtle about getting closer but completely fails when the bed creaks under her weight. She wants to cuddle with the younger girl but is afraid of initiating contact. Ever since Lisa confessed her feelings for Jennie, and Jisoo became increasingly more aware of her own attraction towards the red-head, initiating contact with said girl became odd. She felt as if she was somehow tainting their friendship every time she touched her. Every time she even thought about touching her guilt consumed her from the inside out.

Lisa, fully aware of Jisoo’s hovering hand, makes the decision for her and pulls the shorter girl closer. She wraps her arms around her small frame and tucks the older girl’s head under her chin, the latter’s arms naturally wrapping themselves around her waist. She feels the shaky breath that the brunette releases against her collarbone and wonders if she affects Jisoo just as much as Jennie affects her.

They lay in peaceful silence for a couple of minutes before Lisa’s soft voice cuts through the atmosphere.

“I made a decision.”

“Hm?”

“About Jennie.”

As soon as she utters the name she feels Jisoo stiffen in her arms and hold her breath. Part of her can relate because that’s exactly how she feels whenever Jennie talks about Jisoo like she’s the only thing in the entire world that matters. And yet, here she is, holding Jisoo against her own body as if she doesn’t burn with jealousy whenever Jennie chooses her instead. But, somehow, she doesn’t dislike Jisoo. A small part of her wishes she could blame Jisoo for her misfortune and unrequited feelings for Jennie but she can’t.

She doesn’t hate Jisoo.

Not really.

She probably never will.

Lisa, in hopes of calming her, gently runs a soothing hand over the older girl’s back and continues, “I won’t tell her.”

“What?”

“I won’t tell Jennie about…you know.”

“Why not?”

“I really don’t think she feels the same way and,” she racks her brain for a plausible explanation, “I don’t want to ruin our friendship.”

Maybe it already is, a small voice in the back of her head supplies.

Jisoo releases a soft Oh, confusion and slight disappointment in herself seeping through her tone. Lisa is trying to keep her friendship with Jennie intact and here she is, lying in Lisa’s embrace, wishing she could ruin theirs because, really, all she wants is to kiss the red-head’s tantalizing lips and be hers.

But she can’t.

She tries to remind herself, over and over.

 

I can’t.

I shouldn’t.

 

It doesn’t work.

It never will.

Her feelings are her own worst enemy.

 

Coming into her room was a bad idea, she thinks.

I need space.

I can’t think straight.

 

Just when it seems like she’s about to pull away from Lisa’s embrace, the younger girl holds her tighter, unknowingly bringing Ji

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter