Signs

Becoming a dad

Bong Hee was still confused with his sudden question last night. He had never really brought up the topic of having kids before. She figured he still wanted to focus on his career for the time being and it's not like she was in a hurry to have kids herself.

 

"-- and i know it was wrong but i just couldn't help it lawyer-nim." her client was teary-eyed as she tried to explain to her.

 

Bong Hee was startled. "oh!! Please don't cry, i understand you." she handed her a tissue. "But would you mind repeating what you just said? I couldn't catch it a while ago." she flashed a quick apologetic smile at her client's dumbstruck expression.

 

She always thought Ji Wook would be very hesitant to have children. With him having a traumatic childhood experience and losing his father at a young age right in front of his eyes. She knew how he was always so careful during their intimate nights and she appreciated it.

 

She doesn't doubt his capabilities as a father though. He was more than capable of taking care of a child, given how he was so caring towards Kim Jae Hong even until now.

 

"-- i don't even care if he's rich, with that kind of personality, i doubt any of his other blind dates liked him." Prosecutor Na took a sip of her soda,expressing her frustrations to the straw.

 

Bong Hee shook her head vigorously. Why was she so distracted lately?

 

"What's wrong?"

 

"Nothing. So did you give him your number?" the question seemed to start another round of her frustrated comments and she took a breath of relief that Ji Hae didn't notice her absence of mind.

 

They were busy eating pizza when Bong Hee's mother came to their table and took notice of her tired expression.

 

"Bong Hee-ya, are you okay?" she asked with concern evident in her voice.

 

"hm? Yeah i'm okay, just stressed with some clients." she smiled to assure her.

 

"Make sure to take some rest once in a while. Our Bong Hee is working too hard lately." her mom patted her lovingly in the cheeks, smiling proudly.

 

Bong Hee gestured for Ji Hae to go on first when they bid goodbye to her mom.

 

"My period is late so i'm expecting it to come any day now. Maybe that's why i always feel tired." she explained when her mom kept voicing out her worries.

 

Young-Soon suddenly gasped and clapped her hands, startling Bong Hee. "omona! Are you????"

 

She frowned with confusion, raising her eyebrow in question instead of using words.

 

"Are you pregnant??"

 

The question shook her entire being. Freezing her in spot. Pregnant? Suddenly, Ji Wook's distracted and cautious behavior made total sense especially when he asked her about her period.

 

Did Ji Wook think i was pregnant all this time?

 

Was that why he was suddenly so disappointed when i told him i was preparing a gift for my friend's child?

 

"So....what do you think about having kids, Bong Hee?"

 

"Heol...." she gasped in disbelief.

 

"Well, it's high time for you both to have a baby now. I'm going to be a grandma! I can't believe it!!!" her mom was rejoicing in front of her, raising her hands up in the air and giggling like a child.

 

"No! Mom, I'm not pregnant!!" she quickly corrected her and guilt instantly took over her when she saw how she seemed to pop her mother's happy bubble.

 

"i gotta go, i'll visit you again soon!" she kissed her goodbye and hastily went to her car.

 

It can't be. We were always so careful.

 

She shook her head to clear her mind and drove home.

 

When she arrived, Ji Wook was already home, making himself a cup of tea.

 

"Jagiya." she made her presence known and he kissed her as a greeting.

 

"would you like some tea too?" he offered.

 

"Yes please."

 

Bong Hee tapped her mug with a finger, taking a deep breath and contemplating how to start the subject. "So.....about children...."

 

The topic picked his interest quickly and he looked at her in surprise.

 

"uhm....do you want to have a child already?"

 

"Yes." his quick and confident answer startled her. She stared at him, wide-eyed.

 

Ji Wook noticed her surprise and cleared his throat. "i mean... I would like to have an additional member to our family already, but it always depends on you if you are ready and willing. You know i'm always willing to wait until you're ready to have them too. Please don't feel pressured."

 

His gentle assurance warmed her heart and she smiled. She can see the longing in his eyes and his eagerness to have their own little baby. She was touched that he was so willing to take on that kind of responsibility already.

 

"Thank you....please give me some more time jagiya."

 

He took her hand from across the table and held it with both of his, sqeezing slightly. He smiled at her in encouragement.

 

-

 

It's been days and she could no longer ignore that sore feeling in her s. It was weird, somehow her s feel fuller than before and there was always this slight soreness that would bother her from time to time.

 

Mild headaches were also a frequent thing and she found it difficult to focus on any of her cases. She just always wanted to lie down in bed and rest.

 

"Bong Hee-ya, i think you should really take some time off from work." Ji Wook assisted her in the sofa after they ate dinner. "You look pale lately."

 

"No it's okay....i've always been healthy. My period must be close." her heartbeat was raising with her own suspicions and she quickly dismissed the idea in her head.

 

Suddenly, the constant nausea that she's been having these past few days overwhelms her and she quickly ran towards the comfort room.

 

"Bong Hee-ya!" he ran after her in worry and held her hair for her when she kept on vomiting on the toilet.

 

Later, he gave her a cold drink as she lied on their bed with a dumbstruck expression. Her mind going blank with her speculations.

 

"i think you might have eaten something bad. Let me think...what did i cook for you this morn--"

 

"Jagiya.." Bong Hee cut him off and looked at him straight in the eyes. She could no longer deny her suspicions.

.

 

"I think i'm pregnant."