The Happy News

Becoming a dad

"Bong Hee umma!" Ji Wook's mother squealed happily when she saw her entering the house slash office of Ji Wook. 

 

"omoooo!!! Ji Wook umma!" Young Soon hurriedly went towards Bok Ja and hugged her. "It's been so long!"

 

"Yes! I'm so glad the children decided to finally have a group dinner with everyone!" she exclaimed. They actually just met last week but a few days of not gossiping and hanging out with each other always felt like years for mothers like them.

 

Bong Hee looks at them with amusement. She would've slapped anyone who said that their mothers would get along so well a year ago. It was just so unexpected. 

 

Young Soon and Bok Ja actually tried to hang out and understand each other right after the news of their children dating. It was awkward and somewhat a bit irritating at first but they were slowly starting to settle their differences. 

 

Then everything suddenly went smoothly when the issues with Ji Wook and Bong Hee's biological fathers were resolved. When they were informed, Bok Ja was extremely grateful to Bong Hee's dad for sacrificing his life in order to save Ji Wook and his parents. She cried while apologizing and thanking Young Soon at the pantry of Papa John's. She couldn't imagine losing her husband and taking care of a daughter all by herself by being the solo breadwinner of the family. Young Soon comforted her and since then, they became the biggest ahjumma buddies you will ever see.

 

Ji Wook's mom also opened up another branch of Papa John's and since she had to handle it herself, she made Young Soon the manager of the previous branch, making both mothers closer than ever before. They would always find time to hang out despite the far distance of both branches.

 

"What's the occasion?" Ji Hae asked as she sat down at the dinner table, taking note of how everyone was in complete attendance.

 

"What's wrong? It's nice to have some get together like this once in a while." Yoo Jung settled herself in her seat, smiling at Eun Hyuk who was sitting beside her.

 

Ji Wook cleared his throat to get everybody's attention, settling himself beside Bong Hee as well. "Let's eat." his voice prompting everyone to start eating from the feast the couple prepared.  

 

Mr. Bang started eyeing them suspiciously. There must be some news they were trying to hold back to announce later. Ji Wook seemed really happy and energetic at work lately, willingly accepting heavy workloads and smiling or snickering once in while. He's been with him for such a long time that he automatically knows when something is up with the prosecutor. 

 

"So what news would you be telling us today?" he picks up a kimchi and held it with his chopsticks. "Maybe......Bong Hee-shi is pregnant?" he laughed as he started chewing the food.

 

Everyone around him stopped eating, staring at the married couple with wide eyes. "W-what??" Mr. Byun looked at him,surprise evident in his face. Mr. Bang stopped chewing and looked at everyone, shocked that his question would get such a reaction.

 

Ji Wook and Bong Hee stopped eating as well, stared at each other and started smiling. He hugged her shoulder with his arm and happily nodded. "Yes."

 

Everyone gasped and chopsticks that were falling and hitting the table were heard. 

 

"OMO!! WE'RE GOING TO BE GRANDMAS!!" the two mothers stood up and started jumping around with their hands clasped together, expressing their joy like children.

 

Smiles and laughter filled the room, congratulations were given to the expecting couple and wine was popped to celebrate the news. Bong Hee was bombarded with excited questions from her now close sisterhood with Ji Hae and Yoo Jung while Ji Wook was repeatedly patted in his back by the guys.

 

"Yaaaahhh, this time we were genuinely surprised." Eun Hyuk laughed as he remembered how he and Mr. Bang faked their reactions during the news of their dating long ago. "Congratulations Wook-ah." he was laughing with Mr. Bang.

 

Ji Wook was full of smiles, his face proud of the news while his father was strangely quiet, smiling and patting his back as well. 

 

Mr. Byun was getting slightly teary-eyed, his son was finally having his own child and a complete family. Seeing him being the strict and aloof prosecutor that he was before and being alone after breaking up with Yoo Jung, he honestly thought that Ji Wook might end up growing old alone. He couldn't help but pat him in the back again. "That's good, son."

 

Ji Wook smiled at his rare addressing of him and gave him a quick hug. 

 

It was such a happy moment that Bong Hee wanted to cry. Being pregnant was making her too emotional with her hormones wrecking havoc inside her body. She searched for Ji Wook and when they had eye contact, they both smiled at each other, happy that they were receiving so much blessings.

 

--

 

Later that night, when they finally said goodbyes to their guests and cleaned up everything, Ji Wook hugged her from behind, breathing in her sweet scent which still smelled like the floral soap she just used in the shower.

 

They were laying in bed and was ready to call it a day with them being so exhausted preparing the food and cleaning up. 

 

He caressed her hand with his thumb, still basking in the happiness that welcomed them hours ago. He couldn't believe that there would be a moment in his lifetime wherein he could be this happy.

 

"Thank you for being in my life Bong Hee." he whispered the words, thinking that she was already asleep.

 

"hmm?" her soft sleepy voice responded.

 

"i should probably thank that subway ert for groping your that day. Thanks to him, we met each other."

 

He closed his eyes and smiled as he hears her amused laughter.