Becoming a mom

Becoming a dad

Ji Wook hated this.

 

He didn't know whether to feel happy and excited or scared and anxious.

 

Bong Hee was admitted in a private room, her doctor saying it will still take hours for her cervix to dilate. She was left to bear the pain of her contractions that happens within every few minutes and he had nothing else to do but watch her.

 

"Breathe." he joined her in her breathing exercises that seemed to help with her distress, all the while holding her hands.

 

"Cheonsa, please come out already so that mommy can take a rest." he whispered in direction to her stomach. "We've been waiting for you for so long, appa's getting white hairs already." her amused laughter brought him relief no matter how soft and weak it was.

 

Hours passed and he was starting to get nervous for her when he saw how tired-looking she was already. Thankfully, she was taken to the labor room after what seemed like years.

 

Of course, he accompanied her inside the labor room. This was such a rare and important moment that he won't miss for anything in the world.

 

He sat nervously on the chair beside her, still holding her hand. It seems her image with her eyes closed and eyebrows furrowed in pain would be engraved in his mind now. When she opened her eyes slightly and took a glance at him, he saw fear in those usually bright eyes and his heart constricted. "I'm here, you're both going to be okay, i promise." She will be okay. She have to be okay. He tried hard to banish any thought of something bad happening to her and their little Cheonsa while she was giving birth.

 

When the time came that she had to start pushing their baby out, Ji Wook thought he would faint. He almost couldn't bear seeing her in so much distress and her scream echoing in the room that suddenly seemed so small for him. How could such a small body handle that much pain? He could only return the strong grip she gave him whenever she pushed and see how her body trembled with her effort.

 

Tears and sweat mingled in her small face as she let out one final scream before they heard that strong shrill cry of a baby. He wondered if he had a whiplash from turning his head so quickly towards the doctor.

 

Ji Wook couldn't hear anything except for the baby's cry, like everything was suddenly muted. He could see the nurses and the doctor smiling as they turned to him and he stood still as he waited for the nurse to bundle up the small being and walk slowly towards him.

 

"A healthy baby boy." the nurse whispered as she gestured for him to take the baby from her arms.

 

Fear suddenly gripped him and his arms hung up in the air, he didn't know how to hold a baby. He turned towards Bong Hee and saw her smile in assurance as she nodded to him.

 

He took a deep breath and carefully took the baby from the nurse as if it was something fragile, marvelling at the small and red being that is now comfortably craddled in his strong arms.

 

"He has your eyes." Bong Hee weakly commented, her eyes glistening with happy tears. "We finally meet, Cheonsa-ya."

 

Ji Wook couldn't stop smiling, warmth quickly spreading throughout his whole being. If he didn't believe in love at first sight, then he strongly believe it now. They said you'll only truely feel like a father once you lay eyes on your child and no truer words have been said.

 

"I'm so proud of you." he stares at her affectionately and places one gentle kiss to her now dry lips. She was a mess but she looked like the most beautiful woman he had ever set his eyes on right now. "Thank you Bong Hee-ya."

 

It was a magical moment that he will never forget. The moment he heard the first cry of his child, the moment he saw him eye to eye, and the moment he first held him in his arms, the experience was out of this world.

 

After going through the most horrible and wonderful day he ever had, one thing was for certain though,

 

He was never going to get her pregnant again.