Confirmation

Becoming a dad

Bong Hee's nervousness was just getting worse with his sudden silence.

 

He was just sitting beside her in the bed, staring wide-eyed at her as if he lost the ability to hear anything.

 

"Jagiya?"

 

He blinked and stuttered. "W-w-what did you say?" his voice cracked from the shock.

 

"i said i might be pregnant." she was trying so hard to stay calm for the both of them.

 

"oh..." he stood up and started moving in a way that he wasn't sure where to go, "uhm, should we go to the hospital? Or m-maybe call your mom or something? Wait, i think we should go to the hospi-"

 

"jagiya, calm down. Go to the pharmacy first and buy some pregnancy kits."

 

He quickly nodded, relieved that he was given instructions on what to do first. He was usually the one who took charge of situations but this time, he was too nervous to think of anything rational. "I'll be back soon." He took his car keys and went his way.

 

Bong Hee stared at the ceiling, her now dry lips. She had been ignoring the obvious early signs of pregnancy since last week. She just can't believe it and hoped everything was just a dream.

 

It's true that she wasn't getting any younger but she can't imagine herself being a mother yet. Having kids is no joke, it's another human being that she and Ji Wook would have to be responsible with and raise properly. Can she really do it??

 

"Bong Hee-ya." his voice startled her. Has it been long already? He came back so fast.

 

"Here." he gave her a paper bag full of PTs.

 

"Why is it so many?"

 

He scratched his head and smiled sheepishly, "i didn't know what brand to get, there were many on display at the pharmacy so i just got all of them."

 

She took a breath and proceeded to go to the comfort room. Before she entered, Ji Wook gently grabbed her hand and gave her a reassuring smile. She could feel how his hands were cold from nervousness. She nodded in response and went inside.

 

Bong Hee followed the instructions on the kit with trembling hands. If she wasn't so nervous, she would've laughed at the thought that she could use all of the kits he bought because with her current state of emotions, it was no doubt that she would be able to urinate a lot.

 

She sighed as she waited for the required minutes before a result shows up, wondering what he was doing outside the door while he waited for her. Was he scared too? Would he be happy if it turns out positive? What if she just misinterpreted her symptoms and she wasn't pregnant after all? Would he feel sad again? She was confusing herself with her own questions that she decided to just stare at the small device.

 

Slowly, a second line started to show up and she held her breath.

 

I'm doomed.

 

Her heart was starting to beat erratically that she could almost feel a pulse at the back of her head. The lines were crystal clear now.

 

She was positive.

 

She quickly opened up another kit and tested again. As she was waiting, the realization was hitting her hard. She was pregnant. There was a tiny little being inside her womb now. An angel that she and Ji Wook made themselves.

 

Tears started to burn her eyes and she covered in an attempt to hold back a sob. A mixture of emotions were overwhelming her as she held three devices that were undeniably showing 2 lines each.

 

Was she ready to be a mom? Could she handle raising a child of her own? What if she messed it up and the kid grows up badly? What if her kid ends up like her and gets into situations that might lead him to get into prison? What if her child becomes sickly?

 

She shook her head and breathed hard. Calm down Bong Hee, stop thinking too far ahead.

 

She turned quickly when she heard a knock on the door.

 

"Bong Hee-ya, are you okay? You've been there for 30min. already. Please come out." she heard his worried voice.

 

She held the doorknob and wiped away her tears. This wasn't something sad, this was happy news right?

 

When she opened the door, she saw his expectant yet worried face. He hurriedly held her shoulders and tried to read her face.

 

"Bong Hee-ya"

 

She took courage and finally looked at him at the eyes. She bit her lower lip and nodded.

 

He held his breath and blinked a lot as if he couldn't believe what she meant with her actions. "j-jinjja??"

 

When she slightly smiled, he let out a relieved breath and hugged her tight, she could feel his smile as he her head with his hand. "Gumaweo, Bong Hee."

 

She couldn't understand why he thanked her but she hugged him back, tears now flowing uncontrollably in her cheeks. Her confused thoughts suddenly calm with his reassuring embrace.

 

"I'm with you. We're together in this. I know you're scared and i am too....but as long as we're together, i'm sure we'll do fine."

 

She couldn't help but sob at his words as she gripped the back of his polo shirt. Why did she ever doubt herself? She wasn't alone. She has Ji Wook.

 

"i love you." he whispered as he the back of her head.

 

She closed her eyes and released all her tears for now. She'll make sure to be strong and gather herself later.

 

After all, she was now a mother.

---