María

Flowers, Tattoos and Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Although it was Wheein’s day off, all she could ever think about today was cleaning her whole apartment before Hyejin would visit her later on that night. She did everything she could in a limited amount of time and cleared out her things; puffed out her couch pillows and even vacuumed the floor which had been covered obtrusively in cat fur. Ggomo sat on the couch, unbothered as Wheein kept vacuuming the areas he’d shed on.

 

“Ggomo-yah please,” she begged. “Be good and cooperate with me just this once.”

 

The cat let out an annoyed purr and stayed planted on the sofa, as if in mock protest. Wheein turned off the loud vacuum so she could speak to him.

 

“Ggomo, Hyejinnie will be here in less than an hour so I really need you to move your -hole. And promise me you’ll leave us alone okay?”

 

Knowing very well Ggomo was stubborn, she hardly expected him to respect her wishes at all so all she did was continue vacuuming around him. He surrendered eventually and hopped off the couch—strutting towards the kitchen where his litter-box lay waiting for him. Wheein shook her head in that ‘typical ggomo’ way and proceeded to clean up whatever was left.

 

Twenty minutes later and everything around the apartment had been set up. The snacks, the drinks and a collection of DVDs scattered on the floor which Wheein already knew she didn't need since she had Netflix on and ready. She decided to take a break and sit on the couch while scrolling through her messages. She opened one up from Yongsun sent ten minutes ago.

 

From: YongAngel

 

    UPDATE: Moonbyul IS BEING GREASY AGAIN. Wheenie, I don’t know how it happened but on one hand, we were just buying ice-cream together in the amusement park and then another she kept hugging me and sniffing my neck every time she was embarrassed!!! She’s weird!!! >.<

 

Wheein laughed but could tell Yongsun didn't actually think Byul was weird like she said she was. Earlier before she left, she caught a glimpse of Yong anxiously looking at herself in the mirror fixing her bangs while frequently checking her phone. Wheein assumed she was just nervous about something until she’d caught her smile whenever she’d get a text from Moonbyul.

 

Yongsun wasn’t the best at admitting her feelings in front of people so she mostly lets it show through her actions—something Wheein already knew very well about her longest, a high school friend. She was in the middle of typing out a reply when she heard a knock on her door and her own heart leaping out of her chest. She scrambled to her feet, smoothed out her hair and took a deep breath before opening it.

 

Hyejin stood outside—all soft cheeks and light makeup—bearing her brightest smile only for Wheein to see. She wore a red tank top, exposing her perfectly sculptured shoulders and collarbone as well as casual ripped jeans and fluffy sandals. Her hair hung naturally in long dark waves, swept to one side as a habit Hyejin had with it lately and in her hand was a bag full of Korean snacks, canned drinks and everything she thought would be perfect for binge-eating tonight. Wheein let out a long breath to steady herself from the sight of her.

 

“Hi.”

 

“Hello,” Hyejin chuckled and walked inside. “Wow~ It looks so much nicer here than my place.”

 

“Ah thank you.” That’s because I cleaned every inch of this place before you got here.

 

“So,” Hyejin began flipping through the scattered DVDs on the carpet. “What are we watching tonight?”

 

“Oh, we’re not using those,” Wheein sat down on the couch and opened up her laptop screen. “I have Netflix instead.”

 

“Ah, I see. Netflix and Chill.”

 

It took her a minute, but Wheein was now blushing profusely over Hyejin’s suddenly wild accusation. She understood the joke but did not intend that at all.

 

“N-no! Hyejin-ah that's not why I invited you here, I promise—”

 

“I get it, don't worry. I know I'm hot but I get it.” Hyejin mockingly fanned herself for emphasis.

 

Wheein was thankful Hyejin was merciful enough to let her live. “Yes, Hyejinnie—you're Ahn Fatal,” she added.

 

She opened up her laptop screen and started scrolling through the different genres of movies. While Hyejin was taking out the snacks from the bag, it occurred to Wheein that she didn't think to choose which movie they'd be watching tonight at all. She'd been too busy cleaning, stressing and nagging Ggomo all day.

 

She glanced at Hyejin on the carpet, examining an old framed photograph of Wheein and her family consisting of herself, her parents and grandmother. It must've caught her attention since Hyejin stared at it in contemplation for a long time. Wheein suddenly forgot what she was doing.

 

“Is this your family?” She asked.

 

“Yeah,” Wheein figured she’d answer that. “My mother and father are divorced.”

 

Hyejin’s brows rose after hearing the unexpected information and felt as though she overstepped a boundary. “Oh…I'm sorry.”

 

“It's okay, it was a long time ago. My grandfather passed away when I was only in middle school but my grandmother mostly took care of me…”

 

Hyejin noticed the drop in her voice that told her she wasn't finished talking. She didn't want to pry but she couldn't help her curiosity for this girl.

 

“…But?”

 

“My grandmother’s not doing very well,” she confessed. “She's sick. She's been sick lately for a long time and I keep calling her—but she tells me she's alright. I'm worried, Hyejin-ah, but I can't do anything for her while she’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter