Excuses

Flowers, Tattoos and Hearts
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hyejin didn't want to admit it, but after visiting Wheein since then, she found herself entering her shop and talking to her way more often out of habit—using her lunch breaks as opportunities or excuses to go see her.

 

At first, she treated those visits as nothing else than for professional use seeing as though the irises she bought from her earlier were wilting and needed another one in its place back at the parlour. Hyejin had blamed Byul for forgetting to leave them out in the sun so during her lunch break one day, she marched out and found Wheein stationed behind the counter, confused written all over her face at Hyejin’s sudden arrival.

 

“Is everything okay, Hyejin?”

 

“Yes. Everything’s fine. Except the flowers you gave me are wilting thanks to a certain somebody who forgot to leave them out in the sun,” she said, gesturing towards her place where Byul was currently residing. “So I’m here to buy more from you if that’s not too much to ask.”

 

Wheein was delighted and spoke before thinking twice. “Of course, Hyejin—anything for you.”

 

Hearing how cheesy her words were, Wheein regretted ever opening and turned around before Hyejin could see the blush creeping up her face.

 

***

 

The second time she visited was when Hyejin needed flowers to decorate the outside of her building.

 

She walked in hoping to find Wheein at her usual spot behind the counter—only to find an empty store with no other person inside except for a cat, lazily stretched out on the counter playing with gardening gloves.

 

Hyejin didn't know what to do so she decided to examine the cat poking at the gloves. She reached forward to it’s golden-white fur—the golden colour kinda like Wheein’s hair—and received a soft meow in return. Despite her weariness with pets, she figured this one was alright since it didn't want to bite her like the rest of them. Just then she heard the door open from behind her, followed by a familiar voice.

 

“Oh, I see you’ve met Ggomo.”

 

Wheein smiled as she closed the door and rounded towards the two new best friends. “He’s usually rowdy with strangers but I guess he likes you.”

 

“His name is Ggomo?”

 

“Hey…I liked the yoghurt brand when I was a kid okay?”

 

Hyejin chuckled at her defensiveness. “There’s nothing wrong with that,” she said. “He's lovely.”

 

“Did you come here just for my cat, Hyejin-ah?”

 

Hyejin stuttered. “N-no actually. I need more flowers.”

 

“Why am I not surprised?”

 

She felt as though she'd been found out. “I-I’m decorating my front store and I thought flowers would help with that, so here I am.”

 

Hyejin stood there for a moment and thought ‘God, she must think I’m a stalker or something’ before Wheein cleared and reached up to tie her hair in a ponytail, bunching up her yellow apron in the process.

 

“Okay~Let’s sort this out then, shall we? What specific colours did you have in mind?”

 

And just like that, Hyejin was reminded of the reason why she wanted to see her every day.

 

***

 

The third time Hyejin visited her was when she did it out of impulse and forgot to come up with an excuse before heading there with two cups of coffee in her hands. Wheein was out back, in the staffroom while Yongsun called her from the store.

 

“Wheein-ah! Hyejinnie is here for you~!”

 

Feeling her heart racing in her chest once more, Wheein grabbed her phone ready to exit the room until Hyejin herself walked in and block

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter