Back Up

Late Nights Make Me Love You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Amber's POV

 

You’re still shell shocked. You barely even register Krystal calling your name, but her soft hands smoothing your hair brings you out of your reverie.

 

“Amber? Please, talk to me, you’re looking really scary right now,” Krystal begs in front of you. “What’re you thinking about?”

 

You’re not sure how to articulate your thoughts or the terror gripping your heart. It must show on your face because Krystal cups your cheeks and tries to kiss you.

 

“Please, tell me what’s going on,” she whispers softly against your lips.

 

She’s calming, and you can finally breathe.

 

“My mom, my dad, they can’t—they can’t know about this.”

 

“I know, Am, we have to protect them.”

 

“Did you think of anything?”

 

“No, not yet, but as long as we keep trying, we can, right?”

 

You really want to believe her. Wasn’t this what you wanted? A goal-oriented optimist who’d stand by you and try? Yet in the face of Krystal’s mother, everything seems impossible.

 

Brrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnngggggg!!!!

 

It’s your phone. Krystal reaches out and picks it up. She answers it and holds the phone to your ear. You kiss the tip of her finger and she gives you a small smile.

 

“Hello?”

 

Amber? Where are you? Why haven’t you answered my texts?

 

You grimace. It’s your mother and she’s never been good at waiting for a response to the numerous messages she sends you every day.

 

“Hey, mom, yeah, I’m fine, just busy,” you lie smoothly, ignoring Krystal’s surprised face. “What’s going on?”

 

Oh, nothing. Your father and I both have surprise performance reviews tomorrow. Isn’t that such a funny coincidence?

 

“That’s…interesting. When did you find out about these reviews?”

 

Just a few minutes ago actually. The reason why I was texting you was because my boss asked me to bring my resume. I need you to edit it for me.

 

“Sure mom. Just email it to me and I’ll look at it.”

 

Thanks sweetie! Did you eat dinner yet?

 

“Yeah, I did. Don’t worry about me, okay? You just go sleep and get ready for your review tomorrow. I’ll send the resume over in an hour.”

 

Thank you honey. Ah, I hear your dad coming home—I’ll talk to you soon. Good night! Love you.

 

“Love you too mom.”

 

Krystal ends the call and replaces the phone on the table. You gnaw on your lip worriedly. It seemed like Krystal’s mother made good on her threat. You could just imagine tomorrow, your mother’s manager telling her how she appreciated all her work but there was no need for her to come in anymore. Same for your father. Both of them would call you, telling you not to worry, that they’re looking for jobs. They’d put on false smiles and assure you that something will turn u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter