Counter Strike

Late Nights Make Me Love You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“So, you’re getting married in seven days.”

 

You don’t mean to sound accusatory, but your voice comes out sharper than you expected. Krystal sits up and tugs her hand out of yours. You involuntarily try to grasp her hand again, but your fingers close around thin air.

 

“Yes, it seems like it.”

 

You look at her profile, silhouetted against the starry sky. Somehow, within the two and a half days you spent with her, she inexplicably stole your heart. You know it’s infatuation. It can’t be anything but infatuation. But it hurts all the same. She lifts her hand to her face and you realize she’s crying.

 

“Krystal.” You sit up too and awkwardly put an arm around her shoulders. But she shrugs it off.

 

“I’m okay,” she snuffles, hurriedly wiping away her tears. In the moonlight they glisten brighter than the stars overhead.

 

“How did it happen?” you ask softly.

 

She runs a hand through her hair and sighs.

 

“I’ve been betrothed to Kai since we turned eighteen. His parents know my parents through the businesses our families run. Our parents thought it would make sense to merge our two companies so we’ll the biggest brand in the market. The plan is to have Kai and I run the new company after we get married.”

 

This sounds like crazy Korean drama , not real life. How many billions of dollars did Kai and Krystal control? How many lives will they be able to affect as leaders of a conglomerate? You feel miniscule when you think about the scale of Krystal’s life.

 

“Well, we can hang out even after you get married. Even though I don’t like that douchebag.”

 

Krystal draws in a sharp breath.

 

“Oh, I guess I didn’t mention that our companies are headquartered in Seoul.”

 

You’re not sure you heard her correctly.

 

 “I’m sorry, you mean Seoul, as in Seoul the capital of South Korea?”

 

She nods and you feel despair well up in your chest. So was this the last time you’d see her as a free woman in the States?

 

“What’ll happen if you refuse to go through with the marriage?” you ask desperately.

 

Krystal laughs hollowly.   

 

“I already tried once, last year when you helped me move out.”

 

“And?”

 

But she doesn’t answer, her lips turning down at the corners. You open your mouth to press but think better of it. She notices your restraint and gives you a grateful nod.

 

“Maybe, someday

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter