Part 2: I Do

Late Nights Make Me Love You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hi all, as mentioned previously, I will be changing this story up stylistically. Previously, I was following a linear format, in which each chapter led to the next. Starting from now, I'll be writing the rest of the story as a series of one shots still set in the linear timeline but comprised of discrete moments. I think it'll be easier for me to write, and right now I need to make writing easier because the demands on my time are too great. So, I hope you all continue to enjoy this. If you guys hate it, let me know and I'll think about switching back to what it was before. Cheers. 

 

 

Krystal’s POV

 

Sad wedding song if you want to listen to it while reading.

 

The solemn notes of Pachelbel’s Canon in D float through the air, reaching you in your dressing room even though you’re three stories up in the Kim mansion. Next to you, your sister Jessica straightens and wipes her hands nervously on a moist towelette.

 

“Is it time already?” she asks, the faintest note of hysteria in her voice.  

 

“Yes, and we should’ve been at the staircase two minutes ago!” your mother snaps as she snatches up her purse and hurries out the door. “Come!”

 

Jessica pauses behind you and both of you look into the highly polished boudoir mirror. A made-up princess stares back. Her skin is cream, the pink of June roses blooming across her cheeks. Long raven hair falls in intricate curves over her bare shoulders. The white dress hails from another, gentler, era, yet the beauty of the sweetheart neckline is timeless.

 

“I’ve never seen anyone so beautiful,” your sister whispers in your ears as her hands find their way to your shoulders. She gives you a soft squeeze and presses a swift kiss to your hair. “I’ll meet you downstairs.”

 

She’s gone in a swirl of satin.

 

You’re all alone now. The hair and makeup team who’ve been at you since dawn are already downstairs. Your mother and sister insisted on some private girl time before you walked down the aisle. But that’s over now. All that’s left is for you to get up and pace your steps to the beat of the wedding song.

 

You realize you’re shaking. The artfully twisted lock of hair hanging by your face trembles as if there’s a breeze. But it’s your jitters and no matter what you do, you can’t stop them.

 

Get it together, you whisper as fiercely as you can to yourself. It’s time.

 

Had it only been three weeks since your falling out with Amber? The way Amber lay sprawled out on the floor in a widening pool of blood—no, you mustn’t think about that, not when you’re about to marry Kai. But you can’t help the flash of anger followed by the emptiness that drains the strength from your limbs. Did you want to cry off your new face? Stubbornly, you bite your lip and glare at yourself in the mirror.

 

Keep it together. Keep it together. Keep it together, you keep chanting to yourself as you stand on shaky legs. The music swells below you and you know you’re up to bat.

 

“There you are, I was wondering what was keeping you,” your father admonishes you from the doorway as you finally exit the dressing room. He’s in a black tuxedo fitted down to a tee. Next to you, he could be an actor, a mogul, no one would know. You slot your hand in the crook of his arm and he tugs you toward the grand staircase. You spy your sister gracefully waltzing down the marble stairs and your mother already waiting by the altar. The carefully selected hundred guests politely applaud when Jessica steps onto the red carpeted floor and she glides toward your mother.

 

“You ready?” your father asks, his countenance finally showing a sign of nervousness.

 

You nod, not trusting yourself to speak. How could you be ready for this? All you can do is try to shut down the feeling side of you and follow your father when he starts walking down. You’re in fiv

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter