sevenn

More Than A Game

‘Dear passengers, we have just touched down in South Korea. The current time is 10.30pm and it’s 17 degrees. Please dress warmly as you exit the aircraft, Korean nights are chilly.’ I stand up immediately, lightly shove Blonde Devil out of the way and retrieve my duffle from the aisle. These last eleven hours have been torturous. I cringe just thinking about it. Even in my precious and sacred sleep, I dreamt/ nightmared Blonde Devil recording my apology and playing it over and over again with a smug smile. I practically bolt when they open the doors to greet the Korean soil. Although my ethnicity is Korean, I don’t have many memories here. I guess that’s about to change. It’s already to a beautiful start thanks to Blonde Devil. I look over my shoulder and see him gathering his luggage nonchalantly; putting a black face mask doctors wear on his lower face, sporting sunglasses and a beanie so none of his hair shows. Okay, face mask and beanie- fair game, it’s cold but it’s literally nearly 11pm and the guy wears huge sunglasses that cover half his face. I cannot deal with the levels of douche that emanate from him. Memories with Blondey end here.

 

Passing through customs and security was quicker than expected and I was out of the airport within fifteen minutes. I search in my phone for the address Dad sent as I wait next in line at the taxi stand. It’s in Korean characters that I have no chance of reading. Just as I’m about to ask the person behind me if he can read Hangul, the taxi pulls up. I hoist my luggage over to the driver’s window over on the other side and show him the address on my phone. ‘Hi Sir, do you know this place?’ I point to the characters.

‘Oh, SME HQ. I know, I know. I take you.’ He replies enthusiastically. He opens the trunk and helps me load the suitcases. So far so good Ahri. However, as I open the passenger door, another figure seems to be already sitting in my seat. A figure wearing a face mask, beanie and FRICKING SUNGLASSES.

He looks up at me, a bit startled that we’ve met yet again. ‘Sorry, I’ve already got this taxi,’ he informs me. Excuse me? Where did he even come from? He wasn’t waiting in the line at all. To think I about it, I didn’t see him even go through customs or security. Whatever the case, I’m not letting this arrogant guy steal my taxi. ‘Sorry mate, I think you’re mistaken. I just finished loading my stuff but I definitely had this one first.’ I glance at the driver who is happily humming. ‘Sir, why did you allow him to enter the taxi? I came before him.’ In his strong accent, he replies calmly, ‘Huh? He is your boyfriend, yes?’ I freeze and look in Blonde Devil’s direction. We both immediately yell out ‘NO!’ at the same time. He takes his sunglasses off and looks at me wearily. As he converses with the driver in Korean, I go up to the driver’s passenger seat and do my seatbelt. The driver is probably telling him to wait for the next one and we will be on our way soon. I notice that their conversation has halted and the driver looks deep in thought. ‘Sir and Miss, it not problem because you both go SME HQ. I take together, okay?’ What? Absolutely not. The driver glances at me and notices my hesitation. ‘It save me petrol and save you money Miss!’ I look at his cheerful smile and find myself nodding. Besides, when he puts it like that, I would be a brat if I objected. The driver looks behind, probably to see if Blonde Victim is okay with the arrangement. I look at his reflection from the rear view mirror as he nods yes and starts messaging on his phone. I look at the address on my phone again. What are the chances that we’re both going to the same place? Blonde Devil or Blonde Stalker?

 

The driver attempts to fill the silence with small talk, drawing me out of my thoughts. ‘You come from America? How you like Korea? How was flight?’ He asks like he’s genuinely interested. I’m about to reply when Blonde Devil interrupts. I look at his reflection as he stops messaging and replies, ‘Just come from Canada, which is close to America, sir.’ He pauses, and looks in my direction. I guess it’s my turn now.  I look out the window and see the streetlights glowing up the night sky like fireflies. There’s such a lively atmosphere outside- food, music, couples everywhere. It’s like a city that never sleeps, so different to Canada. ‘Korea’s beautiful,’ I say in kind of awe. The driver seems very pleased with my answer, nodding proudly. ‘Our Korea very pretty. And flight?’ Blonde Victim and I make eye contact with each other, unsure of what the other will say. ‘It was long and quiet. My neighbour was antisocial.’ He says casually with a small smirk. The nerve. ‘My neighbour was too self absorbed and arrogant to start a conversation.’ I retort back. His smirk disappears. ‘Really? My seat mate snored so loudly I could hear her through these noise cancelling headphones. And they don't even pick up turbulence,’ he points to the ones draped around his neck. I bark out laughing. Ahri Choi does not snore. Maybe. Okay, only sometimes, after a really tiring match. Or like a really tiring day. Or like any day. Okay so Ahri Choi snores but in her 19 years of existence, NO ONE HAS EVER DISCOVERED THIS. I rack my brain trying to remember more dirt on him. He beats me to it though, ‘AND, my seat mate stole my ice cream,’ he says dramatically. Oh , did not think he noticed that. He didn’t even look at it  after finishing his meal so I didn’t want it to go to waste. ‘My seat mate was flirting with all the flight attendants. It was so gross, everyone around us was about to throw up.’

‘Sounds like your seat mate is smooth af and you’re just jealous he didn’t flirt with you,’ he retorts. This guy omg. I’m impressed with the banter, but I’m not going to boost his ego. ‘No thanks, I’d rather guys who can beat level 1 on Snake flirt with me,’ I reply back. His smile disappears and face twists like I’ve hit a sensitive topic. He was on that game for at least an hour during the flight and he couldn’t survive more than a minute. ‘It’s a super hard level okay?!’ He almost yells. ‘At least I don’t spill coffee on other people,’ he mutters so quietly, I almost don’t hear it. Guilt washes over me again. Still bitter I see. The driver starts laughing loudly, ‘I am happy you two talk now but we almost there.’

 

A tall, silver building glows in the moonlight. Judging by the rows of windows, it seems there is at least 50 floors. There is about ten security guards standing in front of the entrance. Entertainment companies must make a lot of money. I bet handing out letters demanding 100k may contribute to that enormous wealth. The taxi pulls up and Blonde Devil immediately gives the driver a wad of cash and exits the vehicle. I fish through my wallet, no idea how this currency works and hand what I hope to be the correct amount over to the driver as well. He waves his hand, rejecting the cash.‘Boyfriend pay for both of you. Have nice night lovebirds.’ Not bothering to correct him, I ask him how much the fare was so Blonde Devil doesn’t over exaggerate when I pay him back later and with that, the driver gets out of the car and begins removing my suitcases from the trunk. I bid the lovely man good night and begin towards the entrance of the silver building until I’m stopped by one of the security guards. ‘I’m here to see Dalhum Choi,’ I explain, hoping they understand. He gives me a blank expression and doesn’t move out of my way. I show him Dad’s email, hoping there is something that allows me entry, but it doesn’t seem the guard believes it to be genuine. He asks me to wait while he calls to see if there are any expected guests. I sit down on the staircase and wait. 11.15pm. If I remember correctly, Dad’s a heavy sleeper and as evident from previous interactions, he doesn’t answer phone calls concerning me. 10 minutes pass and I look around to see if there is a suitable place to rest for tonight when I feel my shoulder being tapped. ‘Thank you for waiting.  We have received permission to allow your entry. You may come in.’ I look up at the sky and give thanks; God, you da real mvp- you got Dad to pull through for once. I enter the building and it seems even bigger on the inside.

 

Though it’s completely dark, I still make out a cafe, a couple of restaurants, a luxury department store and the reception area. It’s basically a village inside here. A village for Korea’s elite, most loved celebrities. I notice that the security guard did not accompany me and I’m all alone in this pitch black building. It seems strange that nothing is open or that no one is around, but then again it is approaching midnight. It’s so different to outside where the street stalls are still open and people are swarming the streets. I walk toward what I think is the reception area and press the bell. No answer. I wait a couple of minutes before I press it again frantically until a familiar deep voice interrupts and asks, ‘Are you trying to wake up the dead?’

 


Y'all already know who it is hahaha is this getting too predictable!?!?