sixteeeen

More Than A Game

The ball leaves my grip and bounces on the asphalt, soaring right up to kiss my palm. The rest of the Kris’ team chase after me, like a swarm of bees while my ‘teammates’ are taking selfies with the sunset behind us. Kai is crouched down while Kyungsoo grabs Sehun into a headlock and Chen holds the peace sign behind them. Amazing. Remind me again why I thought they would actually contribute to this match? I approach the free throw line as Suho and Lay hover around me, maintaining a respectful distance in contrast to Baekhyun and Tao who infiltrate my personal space, mere centimetres between us while waving their hands up in the air trying to defend their goal. I try to side-step out of the obstacle the four boys have built around me, but they copy my moves. Although they’re not professional players, these boys are super agile and observant- stupid dancers kms. Kris stands beneath the basketball hoop, studying me with steady eyes, waiting for me to make a move. I run through possible plays in my mind, but all except one require assistance. I look and yell back to my side of the court to attract my team’s attention to no avail, whilst effortlessly keeping the ball away from the four boys guarding me. My pleas fall on deaf ears. Screw it, I’m trapped anyways. I retreat back to my end of the court, instead of advancing forward, which catch Kris’ team by surprise and shoot a clean three-pointer into the hoop. The boys look at the ball in awe as it soars over and falls straight through the hoop while Kris catches it at the bottom, scowling.

‘Shiiiiiit, did you see that? Ahri didn’t even look at the goal and she got it in.’ I smile at how easily impressed they are with a simple goal and begin to walk to my ‘team’, about to school them with a lesson about oh i don’t know- teamwork?! I don’t necessarily need them to play but I miss the feeling of playing alongside others. My therapist said playing with the Porcupines was one of the largest reasons I was able to combat my depression after my mum died. Teasing Coach behind his back, studying each other’s playing styles, creating strategic game play in the middle of the match, knowing that someone is always going to be around to cover you/ help you out- all of us playing with one mind somehow made me realise that despite having a father thousands of miles away in Korea alongwith having a backstabbing, evil, cheating boyfriend/ best friend duo as my super helpful support system, I was actually not alone; I had my team.

I walk towards Kyungsoo, Sehun, Chen and Kai who are still fooling about, hands firmly on my hips, ready to put my best ‘captain’ voice. However, before I can say anything, the back of Kris slides in front of me and throws the basketball right at Sehun’s head. ‘Owwww, what the hell Kris!’ Sehun grimaces as the rest of the boys give Kris a puzzled look as Chanyeol frantically blows his whistle as he runs across the court, yelling at us not to fight..

‘For your information, we’re in the middle of a basketball match and you guys are Choi’s teammates. You should start acting like it,’ Kris says sternly, in a low voice.

I stand in disbelief as I watch Kris drag them by their hoodies to centre court, still shooketh by his gallant act. ‘Coming Ahri?!’ Chanyeol pants, as he jogs his way back to everyone. I pass by the boys while Chen rolls up his sleeves, Kyungsoo pats my back apologising that he wasn’t taking the game seriously while Sehun and Kai both high-five me, offering innocent smiles. All of us go back to our positions (except this time, my team are actually manning up one-on-one with Kris’ team) while I stand in front of Kris as he tries to pass the ball back into the court.

‘Scared your entire team is going to be beaten by a single girl?’ I grin.

He smirks in return, ‘What’s wrong with wanting to play a fair match? I don’t wanna hear any excuses when you lose.’ His eyes have a playful glint, almost as if I’ve imagined him giving me the cold shoulder all day.

Chanyeol blows his whistle and Kris throws the ball back into the court, Baekhyun leaping to catch it. They dribble it to our goals and like little boys, my team totally forgets to keep manning the opposition and scramble to chase the ball. They look back at me in confusion as to why I’m also not sprinting after the ball, and remain guarding Kris. ‘Guys, don’t let anyone be free to assist Baek! Man each player!’ I yell, irritated I have to spell out the obvious but can't help smiling at the fact that they’re trying so hard. I hear a low chuckle near my ear as blonde hair darts past me, joining the crowd at our goals. As much as I hate to admit it and can't believe that I actually think this, Kris looks good. Like really good as he runs towards the sunset behind the goals, the orange hue contouring and defining his face so that it glows and makes his cheekbones and jawline stand out. His muscles shine with the sweat forming and- ‘SNAP OUT OF IT!’ Kyungsoo bellows as he shakes my shoulders ‘THEY JUST SCORED!’ Kai nods sadly behind him to confirm as Kris’ team roar with cheers.

Kris looks over at us and smiles innocently, putting the ball out in front of him so we can have our throw-in. This boy. Has the audacity to be so fking handsome in front of a defenceless maiden (WHEN HE ALREADY HAS A GIRLFRIEND MIND YOU)  AND ALSO HAS THE NERVE TO SMILE LIKE HE COULD BE BABY JESUS OMG NO. I feel attacked. I scold myself as I walk down to collect the ball; Ahri, you need to go get yourself checked up because there is no way Blonde Devil can be having this effect on you. Kris passes me the ball and as our fingers touch, I swear I can feel electricity. WTF IS HAPPENING!  It seems he feels it too as his eyes slightly widen at our contact, remaining silent. He assumes a guarding position and has his face level with mine, staring at me as if he can see through my soul. I can feel myself turning red under his gaze and I hate myself for it. He is just a hot guy Ahri. This is why you’re flustered. Just. A. Handsome. Guy. That. Is. Dating. Your. Ex-Bestfriend; I remind myself for the millionth time. My brain agrees wholeheartedly with this mantra I'm chanting, but my heart just races faster. But he stood up for you. Even when he's mad, he stands up for you. And his laugh sounds so cute. And when he smiles, it just transforms his stupid stoic face. I continue to stare in a daze when Chanyeol blows the whistle, indicating to get ready to throw.

OKshut up Ahri. Get it together. I channel all these stupid, pointless, confusing, fluffy feelings into the basketball that's in my hands and pass it over to Sehun who has no one guarding him and catches the ball effortlessly. Sorry Sehun, take one for the team. You can be seduced by Kris now, I don’t have time for this. I sprint past Kris as soon as the ball leaves my hands, and catch up to Sehun in no time who throws the ball filled with all the feels back to me. Fk, didn't think about that. I treat it like a game of hot potato and aiming at the basket as soon as I get a hold of it, which goes straight in (obviously, cue hair flick). My team pat me on the back and exclaim, ‘That’s the Ahri we know!’ Kris’ team half gawk and half grumble at how fast we scored but get ready to take their throw in. I usher my team in a circle as I offer a strategy to which they eagerly agree and we resume the match. Kris watches in confusion as I walk back to defend our goals, increasing the distance between us and Chen takes the position of guarding him, instead of me. I close my eyes, not even daring to look at him. Strategy: ‘No more getting accidentally seduced by Kris Wu’ is a GO.

 

Chanyeol blows the whistle loudly as the 10 of us all pant breathlessly. ‘GUYS, I CANNOT BELIEVE IT! There’s only one minute to go and both teams are sitting on 30-30.’ Everybody except Kris and I are ecstatic at the scores. They come as no surprise though because Kris is definitely the strongest player on their team and normally, you would have either the fastest or best skilled player to guard that person on the opposition. In this situation, that person is me. Instead, I steer clear far, far, far away from the tall Blonde boy, avoiding him at all costs and even by mistake if he is around me, I immediately shut my eyes and play basketball blindly. Surprisingly, I scored two goals playing like that and both went in so who is the real winner here? But I digress.

Our team scored the last goal so Kris goes behind the court line and instead of going down to the opposite end of the court like I had been the entire match, I square up right in front of him. This is going to to be the final goal and I’m not letting the ball leave this half of the court. He is slightly taken back at my new aggressive play but the Porcupine in me comes out. He could be Orlando Bloom right now but nothing is going to come in between me and this win. Chanyeol blows the whistle dramatically and Kris launches the ball and passes it over to Tao who catches it and passes to Baekhyun. I see where Lay, Suho and Kris are positioned in relation to each other and notice that Kris is not even trying to break out of my defence lock I have on him while Suho remains totally unmanned. Kyungsoo notices this as well and rushes over to Suho’s side as Baek releases the ball and intercepts it. ‘Good one Kyungsoo,’ we cheer as he immediately tries to throw it in my direction but sees Kris step in front, guarding me diligently. I try to side-step out of his reach but he mirrors my footwork again, and his tall body completely envelops me. He grins as he sees my frustration, he totally expected this. Kyungsoo passes the ball to Kai who passes it to Chen who passes it to Sehun, each of them not knowing if they should take the final shot.

Time is running out. ‘Just go for it!’ I yell behind Kris’ back and Sehun aims (for the first time today) at the basket. He throws it with all his might, and we watch it fly over our heads towards the goal. Judging by its trajectory, I predict that it’s going to hit the ring so I sprint away to the left of the basket and before anyone can act, I catch the rebound. Kris looks at the empty space behind him where I was standing and watches in disbelief as I jump up to the dunk the final point as Chanyeol whistle sounds our ears. ‘31-30, AHRI’S TEAM HAS WON!!’ He bellows as Xiumin and Luhan come smiling over to the court to cheer up the sulky losers. Baekhyun adamantly demands a rematch while Suho attempts to calm him down, Tao and Lay get into a furious poking war, yelling in Chinese while Kris just laughs at their remarks and congratulates our team. Kyungsoo, Sehun, Kai and Chen all pat him on the back and then Kris makes his way to me, making me feel nervous again. I shake the hands of his team, more out of habit and instinctively turn away from him when he approaches. He touches my shoulder, making me meet his eyes. ‘Aren’t you going to claim your reward?’ he asks, with half lidded eyes, like it’s the most normal thing in the world. His face is glistening with sweat and he still regaining his breath. I look at him with disbelief, unable to fathom how he just uttered this suggestive phrase in such an innocent tone. 

‘Wha- What do you mean,’ I stutter, trying to cover how red my cheeks are becoming (for the nth time today seriously?!). Reward? OMG, how did he find out I’m lusting after his body? Is he going to offer himself to me for the rest of eternity? Not that I would be opposed to that idea ... 

‘Yeah, you know the bet? I don’t want to owe you for anything so cough it up,’ he says, averting his eyes. Oh yeah, the stupid bet. How could I forget? ‘Ummm, I can’t think of anything at the moment so I’ll keep you updated,’ I reply with a convincing smile and try to walk away.

‘Didn’t you say you had a list?’ He arches his brow, following me. I conveniently ignore his question and dash off to put my arm around Chanyeol’s neck, who is studying our itenary clipboard. ‘So, what’s next Coach?! Who has the next activity?’ I ask enthusiastically, only half listening to his chatter; the only thing on my mind is how to sort out these feels and if I can actually get away with making Kris my boy-toy slave. 

 


hey guys, OMG I MISSED Y'ALL AIYAAA I'M SO SO SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING I PROMISE I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN JUST EXAMS/UNI HELL criessss i still have 2 more exams to go but its KRIS' BIRTHDAY TODAY SO I HAD TO UPDATE OMGGG how tf is he 27 for real do u remember chicken ne style aniyaaaa omg ICONIC what a guy 

but also AHRI U FEELING THIRSTY BRAH?!?! this chapter is just them playing bball so why did i feel like someone was having their ual awakening idk idk but about time she kinda realise she got the hots for him ALSO I DIDNT PROOFREAD SOZ IF ITS ALL OVER THE PLACE 

I CAN'T WAIT FOR BLOODY EXAMS TO BE OVER OMGG IMMA UPDATE SO MUCH AFTER <3 I hope everyone has been well!!!

JUST IMAGINE HIM WITH BLONDE HAIR PLS ALSO LOOK AT THEM TATTS HOLYY

           HBD WUUUU