fourrr

More Than A Game

My phone has been vibrating non-stop since this morning. Texts, emails, missed calls- the notifications come so frequently, it’s as if my phone has its personal beatboxing soundtrack. ‘Bzz, ting, bzz-ting-ting-brrr-brrrr-brrr.’ Don’t misunderstand, I’m usually not this popular, however, news of my sudden departure to South Korea, followed by the announcement of my suspension, have made it very confusing times for everyone. I switch it off in defeat and look out to the runway where planes take off. Now I’ve never really understood the hype about watching planes take off, like it’s cool I guess, but it’s a drawn out process and my short attention span can’t deal. However, I’m deliberately looking outside because sitting next to my iced-coffee on my table, today’s newspaper stares right at me. I completely neglect the headline that reads ‘AHRI CHOI, CAPTAIN OF THE PINES, SUSPENSION FOR A SIX SECOND BRAWL’ and pretend to be utterly engrossed with the airport staff loading the aircraft with what I assume is fuel. It’s not long before I start daydreaming again (short attention span remember) and recall the conversation I had with my lovely father last night.

 

Safe to say after yesterday’s events, I was not in the best of moods that evening. So when my father decides to reply to my 35 missed calls, 14 voicemails and a 2000 word essay of a text with 5 characters ‘Hey :)’ I essentially lose my . Seizing this opportunity, I dial his number and I know he can’t ignore the call because he just texted moments ago. Greeted by a chipper voice, I hear my father excusing himself and entering to what I suppose was his office. ‘Hey Ahri, are you going to say yes to the deal?’ Is he kidding? That’s the first thing he says. He doesn’t ask if I’m hurt, he doesn’t ask about the game, he doesn’t ask how I’m feeling given that it’s Mum’s 3 years today. I feel my blood boiling again and try to ignore feelings of resentment and anger.  ‘Dad, can you please explain what is going on. Your stupid deal is going to get me suspended from the National League!’

‘Ahri, do you know how it looks to have my own daughter be the alleged attacker of one of my most elite clients, one of the most cherished idols of South Korea?’ I can hear from his tone that he’s mad about the entire situation. I realise that I’ve put him and his job in a delicate position. ‘Dad, I get you’re trying to look out for Hana and your own career. But suspension?! That’s a bit extreme, isn’t it?’

 

‘Believe me Ahri, you would prefer the deal I sent out than what Sir SM has in mind. He is after your head after the stunt you pulled! What’s done is done, now you have to deal with the consequences.’

 

‘You’re jeopardising everything I’ve worked so hard for. Once I get suspended, it’s permanently on my record.’ My voice starts to shake as I accept the fact that I may never be able to play basketball competitively again. I guess Dad can tell because he softens his tone.

 

‘Honey, the suspension- I did it for your own best interests,’ he said. ‘Look, I’m still trying to get Sir SM to speak with the Board so they’ll let you play in the Grand Final in two months. But think about it. You need a break from basketball. You’ve been acting like a machine this last year and it’s getting to you. How else can you explain yourself acting out and unleashing your wrath on innocent bystanders.’ I scoff at his remark about Hana being innocent.

‘Dad, aren’t you the least bit curious as to why Hana and I fought?’

‘Nope, I’m staying out of this. She’s my client and your my daughter, I’m not picking sides.’

‘Dad, our entire conversation thus far proves you’re on her side.’ My bitter tone doesn’t mask how betrayed I feel and a long pause follows.

‘Ahri, you two used to be best friends. I thought you would be ecstatic to find out I’m managing her, but next thing I know she calls me telling me you bashed her up,’ he says in a slightly humorous tone. I’m still caught up in the first part though. I’m so sick of everyone bringing up the fact that we used to be best friends. ‘Friendships fall out all the time, how is the a new concept to anyone? We used to be friends and now we’re not. Does it ever occur to anyone that there may be a reason behind that?!’ I sigh, exasperated. In attempt to change the topic, I immediately launch to the next point of concern. ‘Dad, how the hell am I supposed to pay $100,000? How is that figure even relevant, it does not take 100k to compensate a few scratches!’

‘Ahri, you’re captain of Canada’s National Women’s Basketball team, the Porcupines. It’s a reasonable figure for someone in your position,’ he tries to convince me.

‘Correction, I WAS captain and now I’m suspended, thanks to you. Also, I don’t have a spare 100k lying around, I’m 19. I can’t even touch League earnings until I’m 21. So I can’t and I won’t be paying that amount,’ I say adamantly with a strong resolve. Another pause on his end of the line. I can hear him muttering to himself, trying to figure out what to do next because he knows I won’t budge. A few moments later, I hear a dramatic intake of breath. ‘Ahri, I’ve got the perfect idea!’ He says it so enthusiastically that I momentarily forget I’m annoyed at him and this whole situation. ‘Ahri, I’m booking you on the first flight tomorrow morning to Korea. You’re going to work under SME until you pay off your debt of 100k. There’s so many new groups set to debut, its getting difficult to manage- Sir SM might be reluctant at first but he will have to agree!’

‘Dad,’ I try to interject. ‘That’s crazy, I’m not leaving Canada to work for a stupid Kpop Agency. AND I am most certainly not going to be working for Hana. Forget about it~ not on the cards. Sorry, na-da.’

‘...the 12 boys will be excited to have a new friend and it’s perfect because that means you and Hana will have plenty of time to clear all misunderstandings and work on your friendship.’ It’s like he hasn’t heard a word of what I said. ‘DAD!’ I yell so loudly that the next street can hear. ‘I AM NOT, I REPEAT NOT COMING TO KOREA!’ I hear my dad laughing on the other end of the line, ‘It’s too late Ahri, I’ve just booked the tickets and they’ll be in your inbox in 3,2,1-’ ‘Ting!’ I pray the notification is in regards to the pizza I ordered 20 minutes ago. Unfortunately, however, my phone alerts me to one new email from Dalhum Choi. ‘Honey, listen. You’re going to be suspended for two months anyway. This is the best time for you to come back to the land of your ancestors and also spend some quality time with your old man. I’ll speak to Sir SM tonight and I’ll make sure he comes around, you can count on me kid. Okay, I have to go organise the preparations for your arrival, I’ll see you in approx another 23 hours!’ With that, he hangs up the line and I try to process what just happened.

 

‘Flight to Seoul, Gate 31- Last Boarding Call. I repeat, last boarding call!’ The announcement from the speakers throws me out of memory lane and leaves me scattering about in the cafe. ! I literally spent 40 minutes reliving last night. Why didn’t the reminder I set on my phone for boarding go off? Oh yeah, because your stupid switched it off. Good one, Choi. Cursing myself, I rapidly pack up my handbag like a machine, and rush over to Gate 31. I quickly turn around and in my haste, I accidentally bump into a guy with blonde hair who was standing directly in front of me. ‘Aaaah,’ he yelps, as he trips forward. ‘Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry,’ I say apologetically and help him stand up. He looks annoyed so I’m doing my ‘please forgive me’ smile until I notice his light blue shirt is covered in steaming dark stains. Hot coffee, judging by how his collarbones are turning red. He looks up through hooded dark eyes, and stares straight into mine. I feel my spine shiver. Yep, I would be annoyed as well. Frankly, I would be mentally assassinating the person responsible for the boiling hot beverage searing upon my skin . Judging by eyes which are still locked onto mine and sending daggers into my soul, I assume he’s doing exactly that.  ‘I’m sor-’ my apology gets interrupted by the airport announcement, asking for any remaining passengers. I briefly look at his face, which if he wasn’t giving me the scariest death stare, could be classified as handsome and frantically chuck him a pack of tissues and a $20 note. ‘Crap, I’m gonna miss it.’ I hoist my bags onto my shoulder, ready to head towards the cafe exit but as fate would have it, my duffel bag hits him square in the cheek. Omfg, this is has got to be a joke. My eyes enlarge in horror. I just want to melt until I’m reduced to a gooey glob.  I try to apologise as my widened iris’ catch a mop of blonde hair and bright red cheeks swoosh past and disappear into the crowd. I look to around for the victim of my clumsiness but can’t seem to locate him anywhere. Okay, well he’s left and if I don’t act fast, my flight will have as well. Snapping out of it, I sprint to Gate 31, presenting my boarding pass to the airline staff. I follow the passage and for the hundredth time in the last 24 hours, I let out a huge sigh as I pray that this is all a horrible, horrible nightmare.