[Chapter 1]

Wallflower Bride
Please log in to read the full chapter

Yoon Hye Young held the broom in her right hand, sweeping into the dustpan in her left. The cold breeze threatening to blow sharp debris into her eyes did not bother her at all. It is but another day’s work. Brushing her tight curls away from the side of her face, a drop of sweat is trickling down the side of her face. She looked to her left, the middle of the gardens where the incident has taken place 13 years ago that she could so  vividly remember as if it was just yesterday.

That night, she went into her room and snuggled into her sleeping mom’s arms, half expecting the guards to take her away any instant. Her mother slept so well because she was too tired of the day’s work, oblivious of her daughter’s absence for a few hours that night. She kept her promise; she never spoke a word of what she saw.

The benign face of Mrs Joo, the crown prince’s nanny, came into view. Though she was harsh that night, Mrs Joo had kind eyes. Such kind eyes. She heard Mrs Joo wanted to quit years ago, but then she knows too much and it will be a threat to the kingdom if she ever decided to betray. Word has it that her eyes were burned, her tongue cut off and was released into the dark woods in the middle of the night, still bleeding from the torture. It was far too obvious to know that she couldn’t have survived the night.

Much has changed since that night, other than Mrs Joo’s unfortunate fate. The crown prince Oh Sehun was known to be both pompous and ruthless. Nobody dared to speak a word to him, or even raise their heads to see his face. Hye Young often wondered if the last bit of human heart in him that she saw years ago is now gone. She never looked at him ever again in the fear that he remembers who she is, but for someone of lowest rank as her, it is really easy to avoid him. As a daughter of a palace kitchen maid, Hye Young is regarded as a side helper and was a cleaner ever since she could remember. Once her mother passed away, she was given a daily wage of 15 gold coins per day, but she is not allowed to leave the palace.

“It will be 100, 000 gold coins and you can be free.”

Baekhyun, one of the palace guards told her once before. She knew the palace guards are corrupted, but it is not as simple as it seems. With a small built and very bright smile, Baekhyun is easily someone that could be trusted. “Will I get caught?” She remembered asking him.

He leaned closer, his bright eyes gleaming in the sunlight and whispered into her ears, “Not so far. I will let you off when the farmers sends their goods in, and you can join in their carriage that will take you into a nearby village far from the palace. Then I’ll report you as missing in the forest after a few weeks. We both know anyone lost in the forest never comes back. Get a new identity, change your name and say you’re from another city. Nobody will know. A few others have gone and they are fine.”

100, 000 gold coins is a lot.

Hye Young sighed. So far, she has collected 40, 000 gold coins, stashed under her pillows. Though she is not paid as much, she have been taking as much extra duties as she could: night duties, sewing, cooking, and even babysitting the other maids’ children. Whatever it is, she will be free from here. Even if it takes long, she will not die here.

“Yoon Hye Young!”

A sharp voice interrupted her train of thoughts. A medium-built woman in her mid 40s shuffled across the garden towards her; her white apron has a stain of chicken soup on the bottom corner, the engaging smell filling up Hye Young’s nostrils. Mrs Nari is the head of the cooks in the palace. She knows just about everyone and everything.

She is also the one who keeps an eye out for extra duties Hye Young can take up for extra coins.

Hye Young bowed slightly to the woman in respect as her elderly, “Yes, Mrs Nari.”

“We need someone to clean up Prince Sehun’s chambers.”

Hye Young’s eyes bulged at the request. “I dare not, Mrs Nari. I am of lowest ranks and it is certainly forbidden for me to even be present at such places.”

Mrs Nari narrowed her eyes. Apparently, most of the cleaners had their day off today, and due to an important guest arriving at the palace, all the cooks are busy. That includes

Please log in to read the full chapter