Secrets After Secrets

Vaguely Beautiful
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m home” Seungwan closed the door behind her and didn’t find Chanyeol’s usual loafers on the floor, which meant he wasn’t home yet. She didn’t get too worried, though, he had already message her about himself coming home late due to practice.

She took her blazer off and threw it onto the couch, then walked to the fridge. Taking out a large tupperware of water, she gulped a lot in one go.

I should cook dinner for him… He must be tired from all those practices, she thought.

Returning the tupperware into the fridge, she scanned the existing products in it. “Beef stew would be great since it’s cold outside” she talked to herself and prepared the ingredients to cook.

____________________

 

“The last time I wet my pants was when I was 7. That time I had a nightmare and it was so scary I pissed myself”

“You’re disgusting”

“Oppa!”

Chanyeol snickered, wrapping himself a slice of beef in a piece of lettuce. He added some grilled garlic, seasoned scallion and ssamjang sauce before inserting the food into his mouth. This is so good, I have to take Wendy here some other time, he thought.

Soojung lifted the soju bottle, signaling that she wanted to pour it down. He held his drinking glass as the woman poured the liquid down, then drank it all in one shot.

“How about you, oppa? Do you remember your childhood memories?” she asked while putting more pieces of raw beef onto the grill.

He jutted his lower lip out. “Sure I do… I lost only my recent memories” he replied. “I still remember my iPhone 5… But well, I don’t remember Wendy, I don’t remember you”

“When did you get your iPhone 5?”

“On late 2012, I think… I bought it not long after it was released” he pulled another lettuce from the bowl. “Why?”

“Nothing” she shook her head, smiling.

For the umpteenth time of the day, Chanyeol silently thanked Soojung for not pressing matters to him. She seemed to have learnt her lesson and avoided any Seungwan- and- Jongin- themed conversation or his personal things since they arrived. They only talked about the movies in the cinema and newly released songs. She was a great company at those topics, he admitted.

“Oppa, aren’t you going to wish me a happy birthday?” Soojung tilted her head to her side.

“Oh— oh, sure” the man straightened his back and placed his palms on the table. She stifled a laugh, he looked like he was ready  to face a punishment from his teacher. “Uhm… Happy— how old are you, again?”

“I’m 25, oppa” she informed, not without a giggle.
“Okay, happy 25th birthday, Jung Soojung” he sincerely said. “May all your dreams and wishes come true. God bless you” he reached a hand out. Soojung did the same and shook his hand.

“Thank you, oppa! I wish you could remember me again as soon as possible” she then let go of his hand. Chanyeol scratched his non- itchy nape, not knowing how to respond. A part of his heart somehow wanted for her wish to come true, but another part still despised her for badmouthing Seungwan.

So he just went back to his food, this time scooping the samgyetang broth with a spoon and sipped it in slowly. His eyes traveled to the wall behind Soojung, searching for a clock. It was fifteen to 8. Sure, he had told Seungwan about being late, but he didn’t tell anything about dinner with Soojung. That girlfriend of his would surely be mad again if she knew.

“Oppa, do you mind if I tell you about how our friendship was before the accident?” Soojung suddenly blurted. His attention diverted from the clock to her.

He was silent for a few seconds before answering, “No, I don’t mind. Please do tell”. He actually refused to believe in anything this girl said, but she was being extremely nice that day that he felt bad to turn her down. Moreover, it was a good chance for him to flee if she said something bad about Seungwan again.

“Okay! Where do I start, though…” she paused for a second, lips forming a positive curve. “We first met on our last year of college. We went to Seoul National University together. You were in the same year as me because you—“

“I went to the army for my military service straight after high school, am I right?” he cut her, earning a pair of slightly widened eyes from the woman.

“Y—yes”

“I remember that one… I also remember being accepted into SNU’s music college… A group project on my first year and a showcase on my second…” his head unsteadily throbbed but he ignored it. “But I don’t remember anything after that”

Soojung stayed silent, waiting for his next words, but nothing came out. She stared as his hand raked the hair on his head, making a soft, crispy sound.

“I was in the business and administration college… And we met on a concert held by the university’s choir” she carefully continued. “We became best friends since then… You often picked me up from campus and drove me home… Or we would just simply drink coffee after class”

Chanyeol’s pulsating head was really bothering him, he couldn’t hear anything Soojung said. The only sound hearable to him was the clash of his pounding head and quickening heartbeat. He closed his eyes and saw stars—or maybe those were the leukocytes—swimming in the darkness. Clenching his teeth, he lowered his head even more. The headache was extremely painful it caused cold drops of sweats trickled down the sides of his face.

“Wen—“ a name almost escaped his mouth but his unconsciousness greeted first.

And everything went pitch black.

_______________________

 

A sea of yellow flower petals freshened Chanyeol’s eyes as the wind gently blew his hair back and forth. He looked around and recognized everything; it was his usual dream. The sunflower field topped by the baby blue colored sky.

He smiled. Even though the scenery was just a dream, he liked this place so much. The typical smell of flower pollens pricked his nostrils in a good way—it almost felt real. The fascinating feeling of his bare feet touching the grass never failed to calm him down.

And there she was. The usual girl in his usual dream.

She was backing him with a distance of 5 meters away. Her slim legs firmly stood on the ground, her sleeveless pink dress prettily wrapped her body. The girl seemed to enjoy the peaceful view as much as he did, but he somehow had the urge to disturb her.

“The view is beautiful” he spoke.

She swiftly turned around, but everything was a slow motion in Chanyeol’s eyes. Her dark brown locks were replaced with a pretty face supported by a sharp jaw. The smile painted on her lips was just the same as before, genuine and motherly. A not- overly pointed nose decorated the view perfectly, as if that type of nose shape only belonged to her. An

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter