Lies

Vaguely Beautiful
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Fast forward a week and Chanyeol was shifting uncomfortably on his seat, with a table between himself and Soojung. He finally gave in to meet the girl after the umpteenth chat she sent. They agreed to meet up at a café near the studio after he lied to Seungwan saying that he wanted to practice and will come home late.

He had been trying to tell Seungwan about the girl in front of him for the past one week but everytime he saw her, his lips would hastily crash hers instead of speaking sentences. Not that he minded, though. He learned a lot about his girlfriend from their smooching sessions, like how Seungwan loved getting her lower lip that she sometimes ruined the moment by spontaneously giggling. Or how she always wanted him to press himself against her by circling her legs around his waist whenever the kiss started involving tongues. Or how she enjoyed random kisses— from a quick peck before sleep until intense neckings on the kitchen countertop which resulted in hickeys here and there.

Anyways.

Soojung fiddled with her fingers before speaking. “Oppa, how are you?”

It took him a few milliseconds to get whatever she was saying. “Oh… I’m good” he replied when he finally did. She charmingly smiled.

“Have you ordered, oppa? I heard the espresso here is bomb” Soojung offered.

“I’m alright” he lifted his palm as a form of rejection.

The winter was nearing and a cup of hot espresso would actually be a good friend to fight the cold temperature, but Chanyeol didn’t want to stay long enough to enjoy the drink with this lady he barely knew. He just wanted to quickly finish the business with her and went home to cuddle with Seungwan.

Soojung nodded. “I see” she then rested her arms on the table, her eyes never leaving him. “Oppa, does Wendy know that you come to meet me today?”

His fists unconsciously clenched. Why does this question feel like a tricky one? He thought. “No, she doesn’t know”

“Oh, good!” her smile grew wider that her teeth were finally showing.

“What? Why?” his reflex was brief. His eyebrows were already furrowed.

“Ah, sorry, oppa… I don’t mean it that way” she exhaled through a pout. “Wendy doesn’t really like our friendship… I think she’s a little bit jealous”

“Doesn’t mean it’s good to hide things from her”

She pretended not to hear the male and continued her speech. “That’s why she didn’t tell me when you finally wake up from your comma, I think… She didn’t want me to visit you”

“What?”

“She guards you so much when I think it’s her who needs surveillance… Playing with Jongin behind your back… She thinks she’s so slick…”

“What nonsense are you talking about?” Chanyeol resisted the urge to punch her in the face. First, she was a girl. Second, it was a public place and he didn’t want to make a scene.

“I hate to tell you the truth, oppa, but Wendy is cheating with Jongin… She doesn’t want you to go near me because I know about their affair”

A loud thud was heard when Chanyeol slammed his palms against the table. Soojung nearly jumped from her seat, wide eyed. Everyone’s eyes were on their table already.

“Enough. Don’t ever contact me again” sending her his coldest glare, he stepped out of the café with furious steps.

 

“Yeol”

Chanyeol lifted his head. “Yes?”

“You’ve been playing with your rice for eternity” Seungwan informed. “Why don’t you eat? Is anything wrong?”

“Nope, nothing is” he used the spoon he’d been using to stir his rice to scoop the broth of the tofu soup in front of him and sipped it in. Everything under her stare.

“Are you sure?”

“Hm” he assuringly smiled at her, picking his chopsticks with his fingers. Then he pinched a piece of kimchi to insert into his mouth.

“Did something happen at work?” she didn’t believe him right away. “You said that you would come home late, but you didn’t—“

“Nothing’s wrong, Seungwan”

That was the first time Chanyeol called her by her real name after knowing her pet name and it silenced her. Seungwan pursed her lips and went back to eating. She slowly chewed her rice, not wanting to make any sound.

Chanyeol immediately noticed the thick awkwardness and mentally facepalmed himself. Eyeing the quiet woman in front of him, he put his utensils down.

“Hey” he called out. She reluctantly looked at him. “I’m sorry… Come here” he moved his chair backwards and patted his lap. Seungwan stood up and walked towards him with head hung low, making the male felt even more guilty. She then placed herself on his thighs, facing away from him.

“Wendy…” he whispered, circling his arms around her waist. Seungwan did the same around his shoulders as he rested his head on her shoulder. “I’m sorry”

She rubbed his back soothingly, gesturing that she accepted his apology. “Are you tired?” she asked with her cotton- like voice.

He didn’t answer her and tightened his hug instead. Soojung’s words repeatedly played in his mind. He refused to believe her, but if she really lied, how did she come up with Seungwan and Jongin’s name accurately?

A memory of Seungwan pulling Jongin at the hospital played in his mind. Of Jongin helping her with Chanyeol’s clothes. Of Seungwan choosing to sit beside Jongin in the car when Chanyeol already provided a space for her to sit beside him.

Seungwan, on the other hand, was confused at her boyfriend’s change of behavior. She wondered if something bad happened at work that he was this depressed.

“Yeol—“

“You love me, right, Wendy?”

The weird question sent her head tilting to the side. “Of course I do, Yeol… Why are you even asking? Is something wrong?”

He shook his head. “Nothing. I know you love me and that’s enough”

 

“Yeol, your phone’s ringing!” Seungwan half- screamed from the kitchen, and was greeted by silence. Apparently the male was still in the shower that he didn’t hear the ringtone of his charged phone on the living room’s coffee table.

Seungwan, who was cooking breakfast, flicked the stove off and walked towards the already silent phone. Picking it up, she furrowed her eyebrows at the name displayed on the screen.

 

LINE

1 missed call from Jung Soojung

 

Gritting her teeth, she unplugged the charger from the phone and stormed towards the bathroom. Just as she was about to knock on the door, it opened, revealing Chanyeol with only a towel covering his hips downwards. If Seungwan wasn’t fuming with anger, his wet hair would’ve been a great distraction right then. Let alone his toned torso.

“Who is this Jung Soojung girl?”

Chanyeol blinked at the sight of his mad gi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter