chapter eight

Of Blood and Silver

Jiwoo groaned softly as she woke up the next morning. She raised her hand to her head as she sat up slowly. “Ow, my head…” she grumbled.

She frowned as her eyes adjusted to the dimly lit, unfamiliar room. It had bare white walls, a single dark red rug in the middle of the floor, and a gray worn down couch seated under the only window in the room that wore black curtains that kept out most of the sun from coming into the room. Jiwoo looked down at herself noticing that under the white sheet that covered her, she was still fully clothed, but her gear and weapons were gone. She turned to step out of bed and found her boots sitting neatly next to the night stand. Even the knives she hid in them were gone. She slid on her boots and headed for the room door when it clicked open.

Jiwoo froze in place when she was greeted by a familiar face. “Bambam?” Her voice was full of uncertainty. There was no way he was standing in front of her. He was dead. She recalled hearing about what happened to him and gasped. “How are you still—”

Bambam sighed as he closed the door behind him. “It’s kind of a long story. Sit down. You still need to rest.”

“I’m fine,” Jiwoo said only to suddenly feel dizzy before she tried to take another step to leave the room. Bambam grabbed onto her arm gently and led her over to the bed and sat her down. He sat next to her and gently touched the ice pack he had in his hand to the back of her head. Jiwoo twitched at the sudden cold contact.

“Sorry,” Bambam mumbled. “It’s my fault. I hurt you.”

Jiwoo chuckled lightly. “Trust me, I’ve had worse injuries,” she said as her hand subconsciously found its way to her chest.

They were both quiet for a moment only for Jiwoo to speak up.  

“Where am I? How did I get here? And where’s my gear? I have a mission to complete.”

Bambam laughed. “One question at a time, Jiwoo.” He held the ice pack in his lap and relaxed before speaking. “You are currently at a house in the woods that belongs to Jaebum hyung. You got here because Jackson hyung brought you back. This is his room actually. And your gear-”

“Jackson,” Jiwoo interrupted remembering the fight she had with Jackson by the river before she out, “the vampire that killed Jungkook. Is he here? Do you live with him? How can you live under the same roof as a murderer?”

Bambam placed a hand on Jiwoo’s shoulder. “Listen, believe it or not, Jackson hyung didn’t actually kill Jungkook.”

Jiwoo frowned. “Are you seriously taking his side right now? He’s a killer.”

“Jiwoo, please. It’s hard to explain, but he didn’t kill Jungkook.”

“What do you mean? If he didn’t, then who did?”

“It’s a long and complicated story that I think you should hear from him instead.”

Jiwoo crossed her arms across her chest. “Right then, where is he? I want to hear it from him.”

“Right here,” Jackson said as he pushed open the door. “Food is ready for you. And honestly, I’m not obligated to tell you anything.”

“I’m not eating and you can’t make me.”

Jackson snorted as he leaned against the door frame. “Actually, I can, princess. I can make you do anything I want whether you like it or not. Who knows, maybe I’ll make you kill yourself or maybe I’ll be nice and only compel you to be my slave for the rest of—”

Before Jackson could continue, Jiwoo stood up and rammed him with her shoulder hard into his stomach sending him flying back. Jackson stumbled but caught his balance only for Jiwoo to stomp up to him and slap him hard across his face.

“,” Jiwoo growled. “I’m not the kind of girl you can just control.”

Jackson’s eyes darkened red. “You want to test that theory?”

“Try it. I dare you.” Jiwoo glared back at Jackson making the vampire fell slightly uncomfortable but his anger didn’t falter.

Bambam rolled his eyes. “Oh, here we go…”

He sat with Jaebum and Youngjae at the table and slid a dollar to the pile of money the other two set down. “I bet she’ll break his nose.”

Jaebum smiled. “You’re on. I said knee him in the nuts. He’s betting on give him a black eye.”

Bambam laughed. “You’re both on.”

The three vampires waited in anticipation as Jiwoo and Jackson glared each other down. Jackson’s eyes flashed a bright red as he spoke. “Kiss me.”

Jiwoo rolled her eyes and headbutt Jackson in the nose. Jackson groaned and fell to the floor holding it as it bled. Bambam smirked and pocketed the bet money. “Told you.”

Jaebum huffed and leaned back against the chair. “It’s not fair. You knew her longer.”

Bambam grinned wide and didn’t say anything making Youngjae shake his head.

“This kid,” he mumbled under his breath.

“What the hell?” Jackson glared up at her. “Why didn’t it work?”

Jiwoo smiled and bent down in front of him. “I told you, didn’t I? I’m not the kind of girl you can control, princess.” She flicked his forehead and stood, moving to the table. She sat and smiled seeing eggs and bacon cooked perfectly and set neatly on the plate. “Looks delicious. Thank you for the food.”

“Actually, Jackson was the one who got the food for you and cooked it,” Jaebum pointed out as Jackson stumbled over to the table.

“Is that so?” Jiwoo asked popping a piece of egg in . She looked at Jackson and grinned. “Thanks, princess. It’s perfect.”

Jackson shot her a glare as Bambam nearly snorted out the blood he was drinking and both Youngjae and Jaebum burst out into laughter.

“Shut up.” Jackson glared to the other three vampires as they couldn’t help but laugh.