chapter three

Of Blood and Silver

Jiwoo had just finished adjusting her gear when Rosé stormed back into their shared room. She went over to her bed and grabbed a pillow. She began to punch it repeatedly before screaming into it out of frustration.

“I take it went well,” Jiwoo said sarcastically.

“I can’t believe he’s making you go alone after what happened to Jungkook!” Rosé huffed as she stomped her foot. “Can you believe he told me I’m not ‘capable’ enough to go on this mission with you? He basically told me that I .”

Jiwoo sighed and placed her hands on Rosé’s shoulders and looked her roommate in the eyes. “You don’t . You’re the most capable person ever. And the most dependable. However, I think my dad sending me alone has to do with getting revenge for my brother. My dad probably feels like I’m the only person to exact revenge against this vampire.”

A pout formed on Rosé’s lips. “I know that, but…if Jungkook couldn’t kill him—not that I think you can’t because I know you can—it’s too dangerous to go alone. Can’t I just go with you without him knowing? I hate that you’re going without me.”

Jiwoo chuckled, “Who else will bully Mark oppa while I’m gone other than you?”

Rosé giggled, “You’re right. I can’t pass up an opportunity to do that.” She held up a pinky to Jiwoo. “Promise me you’ll stay alive and come back to me in one piece.”

Jiwoo smiled wrapping her pinky around Rosé’s and nodded. “I promise.”

Rosé gave her a quick hug. “Go and kick some .”

Jiwoo winked. “You know it.”

Rosé followed Jiwoo to the gate and waved her a goodbye. She stood there and watched as Jiwoo disappeared out of the gate and chewed on her bottom lip nervously. She couldn’t bear the fact that Jiwoo was going alone after a dangerous vampire. Rosé her heel and headed toward the training grounds. She knew she would find Mark here and sure enough, he was there training Chungha. He had her doing exercise drills with Somi.

Rosé moved over to him and reached up, smacking the back of his head to get his attention. Mark jolted in surprise and held the back of his head. He turned to yell at whoever smacked him but when he noticed that it was Rosé, he stopped himself immediately and straightened, clearing his throat.

“Yes? What do you want?”

“Jiwoo was sent to kill the vampire that killed Jungkook by herself.” The sound of worry was prominent in Rosé’s tone. Even her body language showed her worry. The way she dug the tip of her boot into the grass and her hand fidgeting with the silver bracelet on her wrist. “We need to do something. I can’t sit by and do nothing while she’s out there possibly marching her way to her death.”

Now, tears were filling her eyes quickly making Mark panic. He didn’t know what to say. He didn’t want her to get mad at him nor did he want her to keep crying. He had to say something and fast or she would burst out into tears in front of everyone.

“Please don’t cry,” he said as he panicked. This was the wrong thing to say. One second Mark was looking at Rosé and the next he was on the ground the wind knocked out of him. Chungha, Somi, and everyone else who saw Rosé knock him to the ground all laughed.

Rosé stood above him, a frown on her face and her hands on her hips. “That is seriously something you don’t say to a girl who is already crying.”

Mark coughed as he laid on the ground looking up at Rosé.” My mistake. Won’t happen again. I promise.” He sat up, holding onto his chest. “But what do you want to do? We can’t just follow her. That goes against so many hunter codes and—”

Rosé’s expression read as if she were plotting when Mark said that making him immediately regret his choice of words. “Get Jinyoung oppa and Yugyeom and meet me at my room in ten minutes.” She helped Mark back up on his feet and reached up, picking a piece of grass out of his hair. She uttered a soft apology to him and quickly turned to walk away.

Mark brushed the grass from his shirt, taking a glance to Chungha and Somi knowing they overheard everything and raised a finger to his lips. “Shh…don’t tell anyone about what you two just heard. Keep up your drills.”

 

Rosé tapped her foot impatiently as she waited for them to arrive. She started to throw shuriken at the target near the door as she waited. When she ran out of shuriken, she threw knives. The target now looked like a pincushion with many needles stuck in it all within the center proximity. She threw her last knife just as there was a knock at the door.

“It’s open.” The door came open and in came Yugyeom with Mark and Jinyoung behind him. Jinyoung’s eyes widened as he pointed to the target that was completely covered in throwing stars and knives.

“Did you empty the whole drawer or what?” he asked.

Rosé shrugged. “Half.”

“Half?! How many do you two need? I don’t even think me and Mark even have half as many,” Jinyoung observed.

She shrugged again. “Did you forget I specialize in throwing knives and stars?”

Jinyoung shut his mouth when he finally recalled and shut the door behind him.

“So, why did you want to see us?” Yugyeom asked. “And what is this nonsense that Jiwoo was sent on a mission without you?”

Rosé pushed her hair back out of her face as she crossed her legs. “He refused to let me go. He basically called me useless right to my face and said I would slow her down.”

“That’s crazy. You’re amazing, though.”

“He obviously doesn’t think so.” She rolled her eyes. “But it’s whatever because no matter what he says I’m still going after her. We can’t lose her, too.”

“You’re going after her? You already decided?” Mark frowned.

“I can’t bear losing her, oppa. Not to mention she’s probably not even in her right mind right now.” Rosé’s fingers toyed with the silver bracelet on her wrist as she spoke. “She’s probably depressed knowing that her brother is dead, enraged with the vampire that killed him. She’s probably angry at her dad for sending her alone and we all know that she’s worried about Somi twenty-four-seven. This mission could be dangerous for her to be on alone.”

“Right,” said Yugyeom, “so, when do we set out? I lost two partners to vampires. I’m not about to let you lose yours.”

Rosé nodded. “Thank you. Mark oppa?” She looked at him, expectant. Her hands clasped together as if she were begging.

Mark let out a breath through his nose and raised his hands in defeat. “Fine, I’ll come. But only because I don’t trust Yugyeom to protect you all by himself.”

Yugyeom frowned. “Wow. Thanks for that confidence boost, hyung.”

Mark grinned, tapping Yugyeom’s back firmly. “You’re welcome.”

“And you, Jinyoung oppa?” Rosé asked looking to the last male in the room.

He stayed quiet as he looked over to the other three in the room before shaking his head. “I’ll stay back. Someone has to cover for you guys while you’re gone.”

Rosé looked disappointed but nodded understanding. “Okay. That’ll work.”

“When are you guys setting out?” he asked.

“Twelve o’clock sharp tomorrow night,” Rosé replied. “That should put enough distance between us and Jiwoo so she and the vampire don’t notice us.”

“What if she kills the vampire before hand?”

“Then we don’t have to leave, but I doubt it’ll be easy to find him.” Rosé’s eyes flicked over to the open file on Jiwoo’s bed. “He evaded Jungkook for a week before he killed him…”

Yugyeom clenched his fists at the thought, “I swear if Jiwoo doesn’t kill him, I’ll do it myself. Count on it.”