chapter seventeen

Of Blood and Silver

Joonhyuk stared at the three hunters in the cell. He tapped his foot as he crossed his arms over his chest. He huffed out a disappointed sigh and rubbed his jaw. “Where did they go?”

“Where do you think?” Jinyoung said, his voice sounding angered. “They went to get your daughter.”

“Someone should show they still care about her because you obviously don’t,” Chungha growled.

“When did all of you become so disrespectful and not listen to orders? I expected it from you—” Joonhyuk gestured to Jinyoung who glared at him. He looked to Chungha and Somi. “—but not from you two.” He shoved his hands into his coat pockets in frustration. “Jiwoo went knowing she could die. Why can’t all of you just accept that? Sometimes people leave headquarters and don’t come back at all—”

“Your son is dead because of the vampire you sent him after,” Jinyoung said, his voice raised in anger. “Was your only solution to send your daughter after it?”

Joonhyuk’s jaw tightened at Jinyoung’s words. He stepped in front of the young hunter and tilted his head, their eyes locked. “You should watch your mouth. You should be thanking me for letting an abomination like you into this place.” He jabbed a finger into Jinyoung’s chest through the cell bars.

Joonhyuk looked over to Chungha and Somi. “I expect to see all of you in here when I get back. If you’re not here, I won’t hesitate to kill you all. Which would be a shame considering all the potential you two have shown.”

He his heel and walked away. Jinyoung glared at him as he moved away.

“,” he muttered.

Somi looked at Jinyoung. “Oppa, what did he mean by you should be thanking him?”

“It’s complicated,” said Jinyoung. He looked at the bars of the cell and placed his hands on the two in front of him. He grunted softly as he tightened his grip on them. “We need to get out of here.”

“How?” Chungha asked. “There are no guards patrolling the halls after the stunt we pulled to rescue the others. How are we going to get out of this now?”

Jinyoung inhaled leaning his head on the bars. “I have a way…You two just have to trust me.”

Somi frowned. “Of course we trust you. Why wouldn’t we?”

“Stay back, both of you.”

Chungha and Somi both exchanged glances but did what they were told and stepped back. Jinyoung took a deep breath and yanked the bars right off with barely any effort making a space big enough for them to slip out of. He threw the bars to the side and groaned looking at his hands at the burn marks on them.

“Damn silver,” he muttered. He looked up at the girls and nodded his head toward the gap. “You two first.”

Somi and Chungha exchanged confused looks and slid out without a word. Jinyoung followed suit and led them down the hall.

“Oppa, what the hell was that? How did you—” Chungha asked.

“We all have our secrets,” Jinyoung replied interrupting her second question. He avoided eye contact with both girls as they approached the door. He placed his hand on it and snickered. “He certainly took his precautions. There are extra guards outside so be prepared to fight. It’s probably best for Chungha to take the ones on the right. Somi, you get the ones on the left. I’ll take care of the middle, alright?”

Both girls nodded without a second thought. Jinyoung took a breath, placing his fist on the lock of the door. He groaned softly when his skin sizzled against the silver but endured it and punched the lock out.

The guards shouted on the other side as Jinyoung kicked the door open. Somi and Chungha charged out after Jinyoung.

 

Outside of the slayer headquarters, hidden in the trees was Jungkook and a group of over twenty rogue vampires.

Jungkook tilted his head as Joonhyuk and two other hunters stepped out of the gate. “Big mistake leaving headquarters like this, father.” He smirked and turned to the vampires behind him. “Get ready, brothers and sisters. It’s time.”

The other rogue vampires smirked, all of their eyes hazed over black before their irises flashed an iridescent red. Jungkook turned and watched Joonhyuk and the other two hunters disappear down the path.

“Wait for my signal,” he said and approached the gate. He pushed in the code to raise the gate and the guards on the other side looked at him confused.

“Jungkook?”

Jungkook smirked darkly as his red irises flashed a bright red on black. “Miss me?”

The two guards’ eyes widened as he stepped forward and the other rogue vampires emerged from the trees. One of the guards ran and triggered the emergency alarm.

Jungkook laughed darkly. “It’s time,” he said and signaled to the other rogue vampires behind him.