chapter thirteen

Of Blood and Silver

Rosé grunted as she shook the bars of the cell they were locked up in. Mark leaned back against the wall of the cell while Yugyeom sat on the single chair in the corner.

“Yah!” Rosé shouted knowing the guards patrolling up and down the corridor could hear her. “Let us out! Jiwoo is in danger! I have to go save her!”

“Rosé, calm down. They won’t let us out,” said Mark moving next to her. He moved his hand to touch her shoulder but she smacked it away.

“Dammit…” Rosé muttered as she rested her head against the bars. Her hands gripped tight on them her knuckles turned white. “Dammit!” she yelled and kicked the bars so hard she fell back onto the floor with a thump.

She tucked her legs into her chest as she choked out a sob. She couldn’t afford to be sitting in this cell while Jiwoo was running around in that forest probably fighting for her life against those monsters.

Mark sighed and looked over to Yugyeom who was quiet the entire time. “You okay?”

Yugyeom didn’t answer and sat there chewing on his thumbnail. The look in his eyes made it obvious that he was bothered by something. He seemed extremely distressed. Mark assumed it was because they had seen Bambam in the forest. It would be shocking to find out the person you thought to be dead was not as dead as you believed.

Yugyeom didn’t look up and rubbed his forehead. “Bambam...he’s still alive…I...I mean he’s a vampire, but...he’s a-alive.” He ran his fingers through his hair and exhaled a stuttered breath.

Mark huffed and looked around the cell for a way to break out. They all needed to get out and fast. They needed to find Jiwoo. She was in danger. And even if she was dead, Mark wasn’t about to leave his friend out in the forest to be alone like Jungkook was. He moved to the cell door and shook it trying to get its hinges loose. He stopped hearing groans sound from down the hall. The sound gained both Rosé and Yugyeom’s attention and they both stood next to Mark.

Chungha and Lisa came running down the hall, stopping at their cell. “You guys look like you could use some help,” Lisa said as she raised up the keys she took from one of the guards.

“Oh, Lisa!” Rosé cried out in happiness as the other girl unlocked the cell.

“Come on, Somi and Jinyoung oppa are waiting for us,” Chungha said and didn’t wait for the others and started running down the hall. They all followed her down the hall emerging out of the corridor where Jinyoung and Somi were waiting outside the front door of the building.

“Quickly,” JInyoung said as he motioned them. “The guards are making their round again.”

The group ran fast across the courtyard and hid behind the nearest bushes to hide from the guards. They all sat to catch their breath as Jinyoung peered around the bush. He squinted his eyes as he watched the guards walk around the corner of the building and stop by the door of the building.

He swore softly under his breath and glanced at the others. “They’re guarding the door now and if we leave now, we might be seen. So… Somi and I will distract them. The rest of you have to get out as quickly as you can.”

“What? No, I want to go with them to get Jiwoo unnie,” Somi protested.

Mark shook his head. “No, you can’t come. It’s too dangerous out there for you. There are things out there you’re not ready for. Chungha, you should probably stay too.”

“Any chance whatever is out there is too dangerous for me too?” Lisa sounded scared and reluctant. She had seen and heard stories of the horrors outside of headquarters. Even if she wanted to help save Jiwoo, she didn’t want to come face to face with a monster.

“I need you,” Rosé said touching Lisa’s shoulder. She pouted, her eyes shining as she practically begged Lisa to come with them.

Lisa groaned and gripped onto the hilt of her dagger. “I hate it when you give me that face…”

“Okay,” Jinyoung said gaining everyone’s attention. “Somi, we go first. Chungha, take them straight to the gate and get them out.” Chungha nodded.

“Ready, Somi?”

Somi whimpered softly but nodded. “Ready.”

Jinyoung looked to Mark with a worried look in his eyes. “Good luck out there. Bring Jiwoo back in one piece.”

Mark nodded and Somi ran with Jinyoung out from behind the bushes.

Somi rammed into one of the guards, knocking him to the ground as Jinyoung grappled the other. He struggled to hold him and yelled, “Go!”

Just as he yelled, he got elbowed in the jaw. He grunted at the impact and staggered back.

Rosé gasped and moved to help him only to be yanked in the opposite direction by Chungha. “W-Wait, we have to help—”

“No,” Chungha said sternly. “You need to help Jiwoo. They’ll be fine. And trust me, if they get hurt, I won’t hesitate to take down those guards.”

Rosé frowned and ran with the others straight for the gate. Right as they got there, they were caught by four guards. “Hold it! You aren’t going anywhere!”

Chungha stepped forward muttering to Lisa, “It’s up to you after this. Keep them safe.”

“Stop where you are!” one of the guards shouted.

Chungha rolled her eyes and got into a fighting stance and taunted all four guards to come at her. One of the guards stepped up confidently and swung a right hook. SHe blocked it with ease and punched the guard in the throat. She twisted his arm back as he choked for air and kicked the back of his leg forcing him onto his knees. The other three guards watched with wide eyes before charging at Chungha.

“Go!” Chungha yelled at the others as she tried to block all the punches that came at her.

Lisa quickly led Rosé, Mark, and Yugyeom out of the gate as Chungha held off the guards until the gates closed again.

Lisa huffed as she caught her breath. “So...which way to Jiwoo?”

Rosé glanced down the path and pointed. “That way. It would be easier if we follow the river when we get into the forest.”

Lisa nodded and glanced at Mark and Yugyeom. “We need to find her quickly. We don’t know what kind of danger she could be in.”

Both males nodded and the four of them set off down the path.