chapter five

Of Blood and Silver

Jiwoo heaved out a big sigh as she sat on a rock on the river bank. She slowly placed her katana under the running water and gently rubbed the blade with her hand to clean the dark red ichor off. She had run into another vampire further up the path through the forest and was forced to kill it. Jiwoo didn’t want to as she only liked to complete missions with only one death. The death of the vampire she was hunting. She never liked to kill the innocent even if they were vampires.

She pulled a handkerchief from the pouch at her hip and wiped her sword dry. She held it up and turned it over, peeking at her reflection. Her eyes were red and puffy. It was evident that she had been crying. Her father would be disappointed in her if he found out.

Jiwoo sheathed her katana and folded her hands in her lap. She missed Rosé. Without Rosé, her missions were boring. She had no one to talk to and no one to fight alongside with. If this vampire truly is as dangerous as he seemed, Jiwoo would be screwed like Jungkook was.

Jungkook. Jiwoo missed him too. She could barely stand the fact that he’s dead now. She was seriously going to tear the vampire apart when she sees him. He killed her brother and now he was going to pay.

Jiwoo stood off the rock and her heel. “I know you’re out there. I know you were following me.” No reply. “Oh, c’mon. I’m not going to hurt you. Yet.” Again, no reply. Jiwoo rolled her eyes. “Alright, fine. Since you want to make this hard.”

She pulled a throwing knife out and, with the snap of her wrist, threw it in the direction where the vampire was hiding. It lodged in the tree just barely missing the vampire’s cheek. It flinched in surprise, its eyes wide as it stared at Jiwoo. “Hey, watch the face,” the vampire complained.

Jiwoo stood in front of the vampire, her blood boiling when she noticed it was the vampire responsible for Jungkook’s death. Jackson Wang. She raised her sword out of its sheath in a flash and held it to Jackson’s throat.

Jackson raised his hands at his sides. “Whoa there, no need to be so hostile. We just met and you didn’t even tell me your name.”

“You don’t have to know my name.” She growled, her hand tightening around the hilt of her katana. “I’m here to kill you and that’s all you need to know.” Jiwoo kicked Jackson in the stomach sending him flying back against the tree behind him. He grunted at the impact and held his stomach.

“Okay.” He groaned. “That was uncalled for.”

“There’s more where that came from, you bastard.” Jiwoo stepped toward him and swung her sword at him. Jackson caught her wrist and pushed her back. Jiwoo stumbled but quickly recovered. She pulled the throwing knife out of the tree and threw it at Jackson again. He dodged it swiftly and rolled his eyes.

“Okay, now you’re starting to piss me off,” he said as his eyes flashed a dangerous red. Jiwoo didn’t flinch.

She raised her sword into the air and tried to slash down. Jackson was too quick and caught her wrist again, though this time holding both of hers to restrict her. She dropped her katana as he held tightly onto her wrists and tried to yank herself away.

“Let go of me, bastard,” said Jiwoo desperately trying to get herself out of his grip.

“Stop struggling and I will.”

“Bull,” Jiwoo swore as she continued to struggle.

“Jiwoo, listen to me,” said Jackson followed by a growl.

Suddenly, Jiwoo stopped struggling when he said her name and frowned. “You know my name?”

Jackson opened his mouth to say something when an object came flying through the air and hit Jiwoo on the back of the head. She fell forward against Jackson as her vision wavered in and out.

“Really?” Jackson said as he held onto her.

“You’re welcome,” another voice came. “I’ll grab her weapons. You carry her.”

When Jackson picked Jiwoo up into his arms, everything went black.