chapter twenty one

Of Blood and Silver

Rosé groaned when she was knocked to the ground. She coughed tasting blood in and propped herself up on her elbows as Jennie knelt over her.

Jennie tsked, gripping onto Rosé’s chin. “Oh, Chaeyoung-ah, I never knew you were so weak.” She glanced around at the others who were distracted by the other rogue vampires and smirked noticing most of the hunters were running out of breath and the vampires that were fighting with them were injured. “You should all just give up. You’ll never win. Jungkook will kill her and we will get what we've always wanted. Endless power.”

Rosé grit her teeth and snapped her head forward, headbutting Jennie hard. The rogue vampire fell back in pain holding her nose as she swore loudly. Rosé scrambled to her feet, picking up the dagger she dropped when she was knocked over.

“Jiwoo will live. You will all lose,” she said holding the dagger down to Jennie. “We will never allow Jiwoo to die for all of your selfish gains.”

Jennie snickered darkly as she wiped the blood from her nose with the back of her hand and stood back up on her feet. “You really believe you will win? Jiwoo could never kill her own brother. She wouldn’t even allow that pathetic vampire that went after her to kill her brother. Either way, she loses. You all lose.”

The vampire hunter inhaled sharply. “You will never win. I won’t allow it.”

Jennie sighed shrugging her shoulders. “Win or lose, I’m still going to kill you. And I’ll take that young hunter friend of yours away and kill her very, very slowly.”

Rosé’s eyes flicked over to Somi who was knocked back by a rogue vampire but quickly recovered and rushed over to Chungha’s side to help her.

“You know what I’m going to do when I take her?” Jennie tilted her head as she slowly swiped her tongue over her fangs. “I’m going to tie her up and make her bleed. I’ll personally make sure she’s dying slowly and painfully in your memory. And I’ll make sure that she knows you were the reason for her suffering. Because you died and didn’t protect her, it’s your fault she’s being tortured like this.”

Something clicked in Rosé as Jennie was talking and a sudden rush of adrenaline flowed through her body. She dropped the dagger and charged at Jennie. She tackled her to the ground with her hands tight around Jennie’s neck. The thought of Somi dying scared her. She watched Somi grow up and mature over the years. She had a lot of potential and was still very young. She had her whole life ahead of her. Rosé wasn’t about to become the cause of Somi’s death. She deserved to live.

“You….will not...touch her!” Rosé yelled and held tight on Jennie’s throat.

Jennie choked, her hands desperately trying to get Rosé’s hands off of her. She gripped tight on Rosé’s wrists, her sharp nails digging into the hunter’s skin. Rosé hissed as Jennie’s nails pierced her skin drawing out blood but that didn’t change the tight pressure she had on Jennie’s throat.

“Die, you monster,” Rosé muttered.


 

“So, all I have to do,” said Jiwoo as she held her sword at her side, “is drink your blood?”

“That’s all. Easy, right?” Jungkook replied as he dragged his pointed nail down his wrist. Thick dark red blood poured out of the long slit he made. He held it up and locked his gaze on Jiwoo impatiently. “Come on. It’ll be quick on easy.”

Jackson grimaced at the sight of the blood. “Jiwoo, are you sure about this? It seems...unsanitary…”

“This is the only way, Jackson,” Jiwoo said.

“But what it…”

“We already went through this. Now, please. Be quiet.” Jiwoo shot a glare in Jackson’s direction. Jackson sneered and crossed his arms. He had a bad feeling about this. On one hand, he wanted to kill Jungkook and didn’t trust a word he had told Jiwoo. But, on the other hand, Jiwoo had seemed to put her full trust in Jungkook and would kill Jackson if he got in her way. Jackson felt it in his gut that Jungkook could be lying to her, but what if it was the truth?

He didn’t know what the ritual was truly for, he only knew what he had learned. He wanted to believe that it was the truth; that they could end the rogue vampire transition but why did Jiwoo have to die for it? And why Jiwoo? Why did it have to be her?

Jackson stole a glance at Jungkook as he rose his bleeding wrist up to Jiwoo. Jackson examined the other male closely and looked for something, anything to show it was all just a scheme to get Jiwoo to die. His eyes stayed locked on Jungkook as Jiwoo nervously drank the blood from her brother’s wrist. Jackson almost threw up but held it back. And there it was.

A dark smirk spread across Jungkook’s face, his eyes darkening. Jiwoo doubled over, holding her stomach and began to retch out a grossly, thick black liquid.

Jungkook made eye contact with Jackson as his irises blazed a bright red. “I win.”


 

Rosé panted as she stood up off of Jennie’s motionless body and staggered back. Mark was quick to catch her and held her tight.

“Are you alright?” Mark asked as he helped Rosé back on her feet.

Rosé nodded as she rubbed her forehead. “Yeah...I’m okay. Let’s go help the others…”

Just as they were about to turn to help Yugyeom and Bambam, they heard Jennie snicker. Their eyes widened as Jennie stood up, cracking her neck and the deep red bruises from Rosé’s fingers disappeared.

“How cute that you thought this was over.” Jennie’s eyes burned a bright red almost like they were trying to bore holes into Rosé and Mark’s souls. She looked over at the other surviving rogue vampire’s and smirked. They were all gaining new found strengths; a sign that the ritual was complete. “Looks like your friend Jiwoo is dead. I told you you would all lose.”

Jennie cracked her knuckles and grinned wide exposing her sharp fangs. “It’s my turn now, Chaeyoung-ah.”


 

Jungkook snickered, catching Jackson by the throat and threw him to the side. He rolled on the ground and groaned out in pain.

“You really think you can win now? You’re nothing compared to this.” Jungkook walked up to Jackson’s side and grabbed him by his shirt, lifting him up with one hand. “It’s too bad Jiwoo was too gullible. Now, look at her.”

He forced Jackson to look at Jiwoo who was knelt on the ground still throwing up black liquid. She was in obvious pain. Tears were streaming down her cheeks. Jackson tried to avert his gaze away but Jungkook grabbed his chin and forced him to watch her.

“Because you failed to protect her, you deserve to watch her suffer. Don’t you think?”

Jackson grunted forcing Jungkook’s hand off of his chin and kneed him in the chest. He was dropped to the ground as Jungkook stumbled back. Jackson coughed and quickly got up, rushing toward Jungkook. He tackled the other to the ground but was immediately kicked back and sent flying. He landed on the ground hard next to Jiwoo and groaned.

Jackson looked at Jiwoo and, just before he could reach out to her, Jungkook picked him up and threw him against one of the sword training posts. Jungkook held Jackson by the neck and began to choke him.

“Why are you making this difficult for yourself? You should know you’re never going to win.” Jungkook cocked his head to the side as he slowly but surely dug the sharp points of his nails into Jackson’s neck. Jackson yelped in pain and tried to yank Jungkook’s hand off of his neck with no luck. “Why don’t you just die already?”

Jiwoo coughed, peeking up from behind her hair that had fallen into her face at Jackson. Letting out a shaky breath, she weakly grabbed her sword that had dropped to the ground and slowly stood up. Her vision blurred and her head pounded but she stood straight, gripping tightly onto the hilt of her blade.

She held back after feeling something wanting to come up and her vision focused. She kicked off her back foot and ran toward Jungkook and Jackson, her sword pointed forward.

Jackson, noticing her, used the last of his strength to push off Jungkook’s hand from his throat and kicked him back. Jungkook stumbled over, surprised. He had noticed Jiwoo in his peripheral and, before he could react, Jiwoo’s katana went through his stomach.

Jiwoo coughed, this time, red blood came out splattering all over the front of Jungkook’s shirt. She looked up at him and noticed a change in his eyes. They were normal again and full of pain and confusion.

She smiled slightly and spoke softly. “It’s you...finally…”

Jiwoo slipped to the ground, falling at Jungkook’s feet. Jungkook fell second. He groaned in pain and moved his hand to try to get Jiwoo’s katana out of his stomach but the silver singed his fingers. He bit his bottom lip at the pain and closed his eyes tightly.

Jackson rushed to Jiwoo’s side and pulled her into his lap. “J-Jiwoo?”

Jiwoo weakly looked up at him, her eyes barely opening. “D-Did I hurt him? Is he...still alive?”

Jackson looked up at Jungkook who was laying completely still but gasping out in pain. “Yeah, he’s still alive…”

Jiwoo nodded weakly. “What a r-relief...Please...you...have to s-save him. It’s him...He’s...back.”

“He…Are you sure?”

“I saw it…Please...you...have to save him…” Jiwoo coughed up a large amount of blood. It spilled over the sides of . 

“Well...what about you? I have to save you first.” Jackson sounded panicked. He tried to wipe the blood off of Jiwoo’s mouth but she grabbed onto his wrist.

“I...don’t think I c-can be saved from this one…”

“No…no, there has to be a way…” Jackson’s eyes were filled with tears as he held onto Jiwoo tightly. “You...You can’t give up now.”

Jiwoo lifted a hand to touch Jackson’s cheek, wiping the tear that slipped out of his eye. “L-Leave me here...please...p-promise me you’ll save him…”

Jackson bit his bottom lip and tried his best to blink back his tears. There was no sense in trying to fight her on this. He knew he couldn’t save the both of them. “Okay...I’ll save him. I promise…”

He laid Jiwoo gently on the ground and moved next to Jungkook. He picked him up, trying his best to avoid being touched by the sword and turned to Jiwoo. “I’ll...never forget you…”

With that, he turned taking Jungkook with him leaving Jiwoo there to die.