chapter fourteen

Of Blood and Silver

Jiwoo jolted awake the next morning when she heard a loud crash from outside the room. She quickly got out of bed sliding on her boots and headed out of the room. Her eyes immediately went to the basement door that was split in half; one half still on the hinges and the other laying on the floor. She went over to the empty doorway and went halfway down the stairs, gasping when she saw the cage that held Jungkook empty and the shackles that held him broken.

“Oh, no,” she mumbled.

She heard a weak cry come from the living room and turned, quickly making her way there. Her eyes widened when she saw it was made a mess of. Furniture was set askew, the lamps were shattered on the floor, and blood streaking the floor. The groan sounded again from behind the couch.

Jiwoo moved to see Bambam laying in his own pool of blood. She got down by his side and placed her hand on the deep wound on his stomach to try and stop the bleeding. “W-What happened?” she asked.

Bambam let out a strained groan at the pressure she put on his wound and shook his head. “I-I’m f-fine. Youngjae hyung...He distracted Jungkook to s-save me…”

Jiwoo bit her bottom lip trying to hold back her tears. “Which way?”

Bambam pointed weakly toward the kitchen. Jiwoo squinted and finally noticed the two slumped bodies on the floor by the table.

“Keep your hand here to stop the bleeding, okay?” She told Bambam and hopped up on her feet, running over just as Jaebum struggled to sit himself up.

She helped him to sit against the leg of the table and looked at Youngjae’s weak figure lying motionless. “What happened?”

Jaebum swallowed as he held in a groan. “Jackson went after him...You need to go after them.” He held onto his side where he bled out of and hissed at the pain. “Jungkook escaped somehow and he’s…out of control. Jackson might be killed…”

Jiwoo looked at the front door which barely hung on its hinges. “What about you guys?”

“W-We’ll be fine. Just go. You have to go…” Jaebum said weakly trying to push Jiwoo toward the door.

Jiwoo glanced between Jaebum and Youngjae worriedly before standing up and ran out the door of the house. She strained to listen if she could hear them fighting nearby but it was eerily quiet.

“Damn it.” She grit her teeth and came across a clearing. She paused her steps thinking she heard something and looked around. She could feel her heart pounding in her chest and the hairs on the back of her neck stick up. Something was out here. She could feel it watching her. Was it Jungkook?

Her heart beat faster out of fear hearing nothing but dead silence. She gulped and whipped her head around feeling a presence behind her. Her eyes widened when they came into contact with Jungkook’s dark, bloodshot gaze. The whites of his eyes were hazed over by a deep black and his irises were an iridescent red. It was unlike anything she had ever seen and it only heightened her fear.

A smirk formed on Jungkook’s face noticing the terror in Jiwoo’s eyes. “Hello, dear sister.”

Jiwoo jumped back away from him out of fear but tripped over her own feet and fell to the forest floor with a thump. Jungkook snickered, his fangs showing as his smirk grew.

“I’ve never seen you so clumsy, Jiwoo. What’s wrong?” He bent over her, his hand gripping onto her shirt. He lifted her up with one hand with ease and shoved her roughly back against a tree. Jiwoo grunted in pain and shot him a glare. “You seem to be losing your touch.”

Jiwoo moved to punch him but Jungkook was quick to catch her fists. He held onto her wrists with one hand and pinned her against the tree. Jiwoo strained to get out of his grip with no luck.

“It’s really funny to see you so weak like this, Jiwoo,” he said, his head tilted to the side as he watched her struggle. “The offer is still on the table. Join me, sister, and gain all the strength you’ve ever imagined.”

“Never,” she said and spit in his face.

Jungkook twitched with obvious shock that she spat in his face and frowned. “Why did I like that?” He shook his head and looked down at her with a smirk. “Are you sure you don’t want to join me? I’m giving you the chance to join me nicely.”

“Never,” Jiwoo replied again and tried to headbutt him, but Jungkook was too quick. The hand that held her wrists now held her head back against the tree. His grip was so tight that no matter how Jiwoo tried to push his hand off, it didn’t budge.

Jungkook sighed as he raised his free hand to her cheek gently. “What a shame.” He pushed the hair away from her neck exposing it to him. “Guess I’ll just have to force it onto you then.” He took one of his nails and dragged it over her neck breaking the skin easily. His lip twitched as her blood slowly seeped out of the cut he made. “You see, sister, mixing human blood and vampire blood doesn’t affect a human but the vampire blood lingers as it obviously did in you.” He raised his hand to his mouth and bit on it drawing out blood and smirked. “I wonder what mixing your dirty blood with mine will do.”

“N-No...p-please,” Jiwoo begged.

“I gave you the choice to join me willingly. Begging now won’t do anything. Besides,” he said as he lowered his hand closer to the open wound on her neck, “who’s going to stop me?”

“Me,” Jackson’s voice sounded just before he tackled Jungkook to the ground. Jiwoo was knocked to the ground as well and watched helplessly as Jackson and Jungkook battled each other. She slowly got up onto her feet, cupping her hand to her neck.

Jungkook scoffed softly noticing Jackson’s attention was half on Jiwoo as they were fighting and bared his claws. He ripped into Jackson’s chest with his claws when he noticed an opening. Jackson shouted in pain and staggered back, falling onto the ground. Jiwoo screamed and ran over to Jackson’s side.

Jungkook growled between his teeth and shrunk back into the shadows of the forest.

“Ah...J-Jackson, no…” Jiwoo panicked as Jackson slipped in and out of consciousness. “W-We need to get you back to the house…” Jiwoo tried to lift Jackson up with no luck. Tears streaked her cheeks as she leaned over him trying to stop the bleeding.

Why am I doing this?’ she thought. ‘Why am I crying for him?

“L-Leave me,” he muttered.

“No! I’m not going anywhere without you!” Jiwoo propped his body against hers trying to push him up onto his feet. “You have to stand…”

Jackson shook his head. “I c-can’t. I lost…too much blood.”

“Blood,” Jiwoo repeated. “Then...you need blood. You…” She paused seeing Jackson’s eyes start to droop. “H-Have some of my blood.”

“No, I can’t. If I start, I may not stop…” Jackson groaned.

Jiwoo hugged Jackson to her body, placing his head on the side where the existing cut from Jungkook was. “I trust you.”

Jackson panted heavily, the smell of Jiwoo’s blood hitting him with an overwhelming scent. For a few seconds, Jackson left his head rested on her shoulder trying to resist, but in the next few, his fangs were buried deep in her neck.