The Return

Through the Veil and Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I sat behind the bench, staring at where the girl's body would be, if only I could see her, for way too long. I could feel the minutes ticking away. But I couldn't pull myself away. I couldn't leave her like that. But I'd have to. I couldn't be found here if I valued my continued existence. My mind was buzzing with what I'd just seen. A little girl, murdered, and a Natural little boy dragged away by an Imperial. I had to tell Kangdae-ssi. This was surely huge news. But... I'd have to wait until I was back on active duty. If I told him I sneaked out, he might completely disregard what I'd come to say to him. And so, with a heavy heart and a haze in my mind, I stood and walked out of the park.

I don't remember the walk back to my apartment building, but I blinked, and there I was, standing outside the building. I hurried inside, mashing the elevator button several times as I waited. The elevator ride up passed in a similar blur. One second I was stepping into the elevator, the next, I emerged from my cloud of dark and worried thoughts into the warm water of the shower in our apartment. I sat down, letting the hot water wash over me, staring blankly at the water tap. Indistinct thoughts wormed around in my brain. It was very uncomfortable. Dread had clenched my heart in a death grip, I felt unnaturally warm, and it wasn't until the water turned cool that I remembered where I was and what was happening tonight. I turned off the water and dried off, staring at myself in the mirror, trying to make my face seem a sort of neutral happy.

Though I didn't succeed, I wasn't worried. I still had a couple of hours before the boys got back. I opened up the medicine cabinet and sorted through the various bottles of pills in there, looking for the sleeping pills. I knocked back three fast-acting pills and stumbled back to my bedroom. I'll give Regulars this, they may not have magic, but they know how to knock you out. I was asleep within ten minutes. My dreams were a confusing place, but then again, they almost always are. Tonight was more confusing than usual though. Movie stars suddenly appeared in my living room, trying to use a bottle of peptobismal as a remote, and then the TV swallowed me whole, and I was falling, falling, falling, until a bright light surrounded me. I heard a spell cast, a girl's scream, and then I smacked into the ground. As I hit the ground, I felt like I'd just been dropped from my ceiling onto my bed, and the impact woke me up.

I sat up, feeling completely awake, like I'd had a huge cup of coffee before going to sleep, and the caffeine had just now kicked in. I felt weird, for lack of a better way to put it. My chest felt tight, my legs were made of led, and my head was swimming from sitting up too fast. I was mildly nauseated. Not in the way that made me worried I'd throw up, but in the way that seemed to be perfectly calculated by my body to make me miserable by threatening to throw up, as a punishment for some stress I'd put it through.

There was noise outside my room. A bunch of footsteps, it sounded like. Were the boys back? I eased out of bed, and realized I'd fallen asleep in my joggers from last night and a bra, both of which were slightly damp with sweat. I shimmied out of them, and was in the process of changing when my door opened.

Rapmon was standing in the door. His eyes went wide when he saw me, and he immediately slapped a hand over them. "Sorry!" he said.

"Welcome back." I said dryly, pulling an oversized t shirt over my head. "Have you forgotten how to knock?"

"Sorry!" he said again. I chuckled.

"Not like this is the first time someone's accidentally walked in, Namjoon." I told him. "I'm decent." He stopped hiding his eyes.

"I thought you were sleeping." he explained. I shrugged.

"I wasn't." I said, grinning. "I'll be right out." Rapmon nodded, and closed the door. I finished changing and stepped out into the hallway.

"Hey, Kimmy!" Jungkook called, jogging up to me from down the hall, where his bedroom is. "How'd you sleep?"

"Like a baby." I lied, smiling at him as he wrapped his arm around my shoulders and walked with me down the hall towards the kitchen. It was kinda sad how easy lying about my night came to me. Shouldn't lying about witnessing the death of a child be a bit more difficult? But I couldn't think about that right now. My face would betray my thoughts. So instead, I asked Jungkook how their missions had gone. He frowned.

"Mine went alright." he said. "But Jin hyung..."

"What happened?" I asked.

Jungkook w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter