The Next Day

Through the Veil and Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun was up now. It was morning. For most people, they'd be waking up about now. But not us. The boys and I are not most people.

The first few minutes after Kangdae-ssi hung up, we didn't really know what to do. I, for one, sat around glumly contemplating the nights events. I was only roused from my reverie when Rapmon said to the group,

"Alright, bed, all of you. We need to sleep after tonight."

That seemed to get us going. There was a lot of stretching and yawning as we all rose from the couch. Rapmon and Jin stayed behind in the living room, turning on the morning news. I trudged down the hall to my bedroom. I was dead tired. I'd been in a cut throat fight, ganged up on, electrocuted, and hit my head, all tonight. It was a miracle my body hadn't turned into a puddle of bruised goo at this point. Still, despite all this, I didn't know if I'd actually be able to sleep a wink. Even though I could feel my body's exhaustion, it was the wrong type of exhaustion. This wasn't the kind where as soon as my head hit the pillow I'd be out cold. No, this felt more like I would spend a few hours tossing and turning before finally giving up.

But be damned if I wasn't going to try.

I some soothing music and my electric blanket, and slid into bed underneath the toasty covers. Warmth surrounded me like I was floating in a hot tub. It would've been heavenly, if I could actually sleep. I resigned myself to my fate, and focused on just trying to get comfortable. I was grateful I had a room to myself. It was bordreline impossible to find a comfortable position. I was going to be readjusting my position all night, and I would've gotten so much from the boys if I shared a room with them.

My not-sleep was interrupted by Jungkook and J-Hope coming into my room without knocking. J-Hope held a Grim in his hands. I sat up in bed as Jungkook handed me a mug of hot cocoa. The three of us were silent for a brief moment.

"V-hyung told us what happened." Jungkook said. He almost sounded apologetic. I remained silent, sipping on my hot cocoa and waiting for them to speak. J-Hope sat down on my other side, flipping through the pages of his Grim. His Grim wasn't an old, tattered book. It was basically a kindle. Draws less attention that way.

"He told you how you kicked ." J-Hope said, nudging me and using a tone of voice that was clearly trying to get me to smile as he searched for a medical spell. While not a Natural, J-Hope was the best out of all of us at using magic, aside from Taehyung.

I scoffed. "It'll be a warm day in the Veil when I believe that."

Jungkook sighed from my left. "Well, most of the story was dedicated to how he did most of the work,"

"Typical." I interjected, drinking some more hot chocolate. I offered J-Hope my arm so he could get a magic feel for how badly I was injured. J-Hope remained quiet as he worked, but Jungkook continued on as if I hadn't spoken,

"- But he did mention how you got out of that Natural's grip."

I jumped a little as J-Hope flicked my temple. "Ya!" I said, trying to yank my arm back, but J-Hope kept a firm grip on my wrist.

"Babo." he said to me, referring to his Grim before he started the healing spell. "Falling from that height could've done serious damage."

"Don't babo me!" I protested. "The shield charm protected me from most of the damage!"

"Most." J-Hope emphasized, pointedly tugging my arm closer to me as he first started with a pain relief spell. I sighed contentedly as the ache and dull throbbing that seemed to make my whole body pulse like I was standing right next to a pair of speakers, feeling the waves of bass wash over me.

"Besides," Jungkook said with a teasing smile. "You know practically nothing about defensive magic. You didn't know the shield would protect you from the fall, did you?"

I glared at him, and that was his confirmation that he was right. He smirked victoriously. I rolled my eyes, but what grateful he didn't press further. The teasing would never end if he learned I didn't even know if the shield charm would break the Natural's hold on me.

J-Hope finished his first spell, and as he flipped further through the Grim for the next one, he asked me,

"But you do know at least some offensive magic! Why didn't you use it? You could've avoided that electric hammer spell!"

"I really didn't feel like putting up with Taehyung constantly nagging me about my 'technique' or whatever." I said tiredly. I finished up my hot cocoa. The warmth it gave me in my tummy combined with the pain relief spell J-Hope had performed brought real exhaustion with them. I was definitely going to pass out as soon as they left. Jungkook took my mug and put it on top of the dresser, near the door, so he could grab it on their way out. I continued speaking, "And besides, I can fight just fine with my weapons."

J-Hope clucked his tongue like a mother hen at me as he started the spell to actually repair any damage that'd been done. He tapped a spot on my inner forearm, a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter