The Recovery

Through the Veil and Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Unknown POV:

I finally made it back to base. I scanned my retina, and the door unlocked.

"Did you find it?" asked my boss as I came into the conference room. I shook my head.

"I got caught."

He narrowed his eyes at me. "Careless."

"I took care of it." I answered. "She caught me as she was coming out of the shower. I hit her with a fever spell. If she's not dead yet, she doesn't remember . But I had to leave before I could get it. She started screaming."

He shook his head. "You should've just killed her."

"Then they'd know someone was there." I replied. "I hijacked a healing spell she'd had. This way, if she died, they'll just think whoever cast the spell messed it up. They'll never know I was there."

"How do you know she won't remember?"

"I don't. But if she lives and still remembers, everyone will just pass it off as a delusion brought on by the fever."

My boss sighed, but didn't press further. "You're going to have to go back again. We need it."

"I know." He didn't speak again, and looked back at his computer screen, so I assumed I was dismissed. As I turned to go he said,

"And next time you go back, if you're caught... Just kill them."

I didn't answer.

******

Kimmy POV:

I didn't realize I could be so mad at Kangdae-ssi. I was already annoyed at him for putting a note in my file saying I wasn't going to go on any missions until I'd passed a fitness test, but at least I could excuse that as standard procedure whenever someone gets injured. But not letting me leave the apartment once I'd been released from the hospital? I couldn't come up with any excuse for that. For starters, it had been an accident, so it's not like that by keeping me confined to the apartment he was protecting me from someone spotting me and trying to finish up the job. Secondly, the doctor cleared me! I was no longer sick! The fever was gone! I was sent home only with strict instructions to not use magic. How did that translate to 'don't leave the apartment'?

"Kimmy, calm down." Jimin said. "He's just trying to keep you safe."

"From what?" I asked.

"Yourself." Taehyung responded before Jimin could. We were in the car on the way back to the apartment since I wasn't allowed to Cross. I glared at him.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You get restless. Very easily. He doesn't want you going out and getting in trouble while you're supposed to be recovering from a magical, parasitic fever."

"What trouble could I possibly get into?"

"I put nothing past you." Taehyung said. "I wouldn't be surprised if you got into a bar fight just because you hadn't hit anything in a while."

"Don't worry, Taehyung, that won't happen." I said. "As long as you're around, I'll always have something to punch."

"So violent!" said Taehyung.

"Imagine how bad I'll be when I can't even go to the gym for at least a month!"

If Jimin wasn't driving, he'd've banged his head into the steering wheel for dramatic effect. "Can you two please behave like decent human beings?"

"I'm always a decent human being." I responded. "It's Taehyung who needs to stop being such an annoying piece of - "

"Ya! I'm older than you!" Taehyung said. "Stop being so rude!"

"Stop being so punchable." I replied. "Oppa."

Taehyung made a face. "No. Don't call me that."

"See?"

"I'll make you both walk home!" Jimin snapped. I had mercy on Jimin and remained silent. When we made it back up to the apartment, I opened the door to find J-Hope and Suga, standing there holding a cake. The other boys were holding balloons, and Jungkook was holding a teddy bear from the gift shop at the hospital with "Get well soon" sewn onto its foot.

"Welcome home!" The boys all cheered. J-Hope and Suga set down the cake and began cutting slices for everyone.

"Thanks guys." I said, smiling at Jungkook when he handed me the teddy bear. "You've all done so much for me!"

"Of course we did." Jungkook said. "Do you have any idea how many ways from Sunday Kangdae-ssi would kick our asses if we didn't?" he smiled and pulled me in for a kiss on the cheek. "We're just glad you're alright." he whispered.

"I'm going to puke." Rapmon said, gently pulling me away from Jungkook and handing me a slice of cake. "C'mon, you get first bite!"

I speared a bit of cake onto my fork. It was marble, with chocolate frosting. I took a bite, and the boys whooped, all clamoring for their piece. We all sat around the television, eating cake and watching our favorite shows. As we finished up, Jin cleared his throat. "Now Kimmy," he said, "Try not to get sick again. Please. Gave us all a heart attack."

I laughed. "I'll try. No promises though."

After that, we all sort of dispersed. I headed straight for the kitchen to make myself a proper meal. Even once the hospital gave me solid foods, they tasted bland, and mi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter