The Phone

Through the Veil and Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You mean it's his office?" I asked. Both J-Hope and I were staring at the vibrating phone in J-Hope's hands. J-Hope shook his head.

"No." J-Hope said. "It's Kangdae-ssi's personal number. The emergency number."

"It can't be!" I said, taking the phone out of J-Hope's hand and looking at the name on the screen. It could be. There it was. KANGDAE (EMERGENCY) flashed on the screen. "What the ?!"

"My thoughts exactly." J-Hope said dryly, taking back the phone. "Do I answer it?"

"No!" I said. "Only Kangdae-ssi had that phone, and he's dead!"

"Well then who's calling?"

"I don't know! But we shouldn't answer! It could be someone trying to hunt downt the rest of us!" I snapped.

"But if it's not Kangdae-ssi - " J-Hope started to say, but I cut him off.

"It's not."

"Then we need to know who it was!" J-Hope continued, but before either of us could say anything more, the phone stopped vibrating. J-Hope and I stared at each other, and then the phone started vibrating again. It was the same number. Before I could say or do anything, J-Hope pressed the green answer button. "Who is this?" he asked.

"Hoseok!" I whispered furiously, but J-Hope was listening to the phone with a puzzled expression on his face. I tried to grab the phone out of his hand, but he effortlessly held me back, giving me a look telling me to stop. I gave him the bird. He finally hung up, still holding my hands in his. "Well?" I asked, trying to tug my hands out of his grip. He still didn't let me go.

"No one was on the line." He said. "It was silent. No one answered."

"Okay?" I said, continuing to try to pull my hands free. He still didn't relent. "Hoseok, let go! We need to tell Rapmon and Jaesun-ssi!"

"Kimmy, no, no one was there." J-Hope said, pocketing his phone.

"Still!" I said. "Let go!"

J-Hope finally let go of me. "No one was there. It could've been an error."

"Or it could've been some kind of attack!" I said, standing up and ignoring the brief spat of dizziness that nearly overwhelmed me.

"It wasn't!" J-Hope said from the floor. "Sit back down, before you fall and hit your head." I ignored him and hurried to find Rapmon in one of the bedrooms.

Jungkook was asleep in his bunk, but Rapmon was laying in his bunk, lazily scrolling through tumblr. He looked up at me lazily.

"Didn't expect you to be up for a bit." He whispered. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." I said. "But J-Hope... He just got an emergency call from Kangdae-ssi. The call was silent."

Rapmon sighed, letting his phone fall on his chest. "Of course. I'll get Taehyung, you get J-Hope." I nodded and stepped back out into the hall.

"J-Hope, come on," I whispered to his shadow outside the bathroom. "Rapmon wants you. We need to check this out."

He sighed, standing up. "Taehyung is going to hate being woken for nothing."

"I hate that you're being so apathetic about this." I said as I practically dragged him into Rapmon's room. Taehyung was on the floor, still mummified in his blankets.

"Hand me the phone?" Rapmon said to J-Hope, nudging Taehyung with his foot. Taehyung groaned and sat up. J-Hope tossed the phone to Rapmon, who turned it over, holding it up to his ear. He Crossed for a few seconds, and came back.

"Well?" J-Hope asked impatiently.

"No trace of bad magic." Rapmon said.

"I told you." J-Hope said.

"I still want Taehyung to put up some protective magic, just to be safe." Rapmon said, and Taehyung sighed, rubbing his eyes.

"Whatever you say, hyung. I'd love nothing more." Taehyung said. J-Hope helped him up.

"I'll start reheating leftovers." J-Hope said, moving out of the room.

I followed J-Hope out of the room, sitting down on the couch and watching TV. Jimin was starting to wake up. J-Hope opened the fridge and pulled out tupperware of leftover food from last night. He stuffed some food into the microwave, and soon the humming of the microwave filled the apartment. With the sound (and the subsequent promise of food) echoing through the tiny apartment, the boys began to wake up, with all of them slumping near or around the couch. Suga was the last one to come stumbling in, after Jin and his aura of steam had practically floated into the living room, toweling his hair dry. Jungkook had been strong armed into delivering the coffee, and the maknae handed Suga a war

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter