The Wait

Through the Veil and Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Suga and I lay on the pull out bed, munching on a plate of cookies and watching a cheesy drama on Suga's laptop, watching Jin and Taehyung move around the kitchen, preparing our dinner. We were kind of like a daisy chain. Suga was leaning against a large duffle bag, I was using Suga's belly as a pillow, Jungkook was laying across my abdomen playing a video game on his phone, and I had Suga's laptop on Jungkook's back. Then, on the floor, Jimin was sitting against the bed reading a book, and Rapmon was laying at Jimin's feet on his laptop. J-Hope, who had been sitting at the table, now moved to join Suga and I watching the drama. We were all breathing in the glorious smells of the meal Jin and Taehyung were cooking, and occasionally, one of our bellies would grumble loudly, even though we were attempting to satiate them with cookies.

Jungkook's belly growled.

"It can't take this long, hyungs!" Jungkook called. "Stop torturing us!"

"Shh!" whispered J-Hope, hitting Jungkook over the head with a pillow.

Jungkook stage whispered, "Hyungs! Stop torturing us!" J-Hope glared at him, and Jungkook just smiled his cheeky little smile.

"Do you want your food cooked right, or not?" Taehyung asked.

"But it smells so good!" Jungkook groaned, and J-Hope hit him over the head again.

"Stop hitting him!" I said. "The more he moves, the more the screen moves!"

The couple in the drama finally kissed, and I stared at it, engrossed, munching on a cookie.

"Kimmy-ah, you're drooling." Suga teased me.

"This is a really good cookie." I said.

"Sure." Suga said, drawing out the word. "You sure it's not because you're weirdly invested in fictional couples' relationship drama?"

Jimin and I both shushed Suga at the same time.

"I'm trying to read!" Jimin complained.

"Read?" Jungkook repeated. "Why would you read when you could make fun of Kimmy? That's a much more entertaining option."

"I know, right?" Suga responded, and the two reached across me to high five.

"I can and will kick you in the balls so hard your future children will feel it." I threatened.

"Awww, she thinks she sounds threatening!" J-Hope said, poking my cheek.

"She is threatening." Rapmon said. "We've all seen her when she's fighting."

"Yeah, hyung, but it's hard to take Kimmy seriously when she's making goo-goo eyes at What's-His-Face!" Jungkook said.

"If I had a none of you would be saying that." I pointed out.

"But you don't have a ." Taehyung called from the kitchen.

"Reading!" Jimin reminded us.

"Not yet I don't." I grumbled. "But Nurse Lee said he'd perform the surgery."

There was a collective groan from the boys.

"You wouldn't look good as a man." Jungkook said, wrinkling up his nose.

"The point isn't to look good, the point is to have a ." I said.

"You wouldn't know what to do with it!" Suga said.

"I'm sure one of you could - " I started to make a comeback, but Jin clanged some pans together to get our attention.

"We're ending this conversation!" he ordered. "Anyone who continues it won't get any dinner!"

That shut us up.

****

The sun was just starting to set. Dinner was a mere half hour away. Everyone was anxiously waiting. We'd the news just to listen to something as we tried to distract ourselves with a card game. Taehyung was winning.

"Shouldn't we have heard from someone by now?" Jimin asked as he threw down his deck in anger.

"Don't try to distract us just because you're losing." Taehyung said. "Bets?"

"Jimin hyung is right, though." Jungkook said, pushing a stack of cookies into the center. "We should've heard from someone by now, even if it's just orders to stay put."

"At least we could disobey orders to just stay put." Jimin grumbled.

"If you want to go out, there's the door." Rapmon said, pointing to the door. "I'm out." he put down his deck.

"You could find out what's happening for us, couldn't you, hyung?" Jungkook asked.

"Please don't hack into anything this soon after what happened." I said, giving both Jungkook and Rapmon and glare that would've had them quaking in their boots if they didn't live with me. They'd seen worse five minutes ago when I had to quit. "It would be suicide."

"Of course I won't." Rapmon said with an eyeroll. "I'm not that stupid."

"Then just ask Jaesun-ssi what our orders are!" Jungkook said in exasperation. "I hate not knowing what's happening!"

"It's the day after a major attack." Rapmon said. He'd remained cool the entire day, even in the face of his Unit's increasing agitation, and he was still cool as he continued, "We can't expect orders so soon, when so many of the top brass were killed. We're all disorganized, it'll take a while."

"It would still be reasonable for you to ask if we should be staying put, reporting to Central, going back to our old apartment..." Suga said, pushing his own cookies into the middle.

Rapmon sighed, and J-Hope grinned at him. "If you just call Jaesun-ssi, we'll leave you alone."

"I'll leave him alone if I get food in my stomach!" I said, raising my hand a bit. Jin rolled his eyes.

"Not for another half-hour." he said sternly, pushing a single cookie into the middle. The boys revealed their cards, and Taehyung laughed as he swept all the cookies over to his side.

"It's no fun when only one of us is winning." J-Hope said with a pout.

"Let's play something new then." I suggested. Rapmon grabbed his phone out of his pocket and stood up. He dialed up a number and held the phone to his ear.

"Behave, children," he said sternly as he walked away for some privacy.

"What should we play, then?" Suga asked.

"I liked the game we were playing!" Taehyung said.

"You and no one else." I grumbled.

"Not my fault you all lost your cookies." Taehyung said with an air of superiority that vanished as soon as Jungkook swiped a chunk of cookies from Taehyung's winnings. "Brat!"

"Brat with cookies." Jungkook said.

"Don't eat all of them!" Jin scolded. "They're for dessert!"

"Let's play truth or dare!" J-Hope said, to the derision of Taehyung and Suga.

"What, are we ten year old girls having a sleep over?" Suga asked.

"Real men play poker." Taehyung said.

"With cookies." Jungkook said, spewing crumbs.

"Let's be adults then, and play truth or truth." I said.

"Oh, that's even worse!" Jimin complained.

"Got anything better?" I challenged him, raising an eyebrow. Hangriness was starting to set in.

Rapmonster came back to the group. "Jaesun-ssi says to stay put until he clears our apartment, which shouldn't take longer than another two or three days. We'll get our next orders when we're back home."

"Three more days?" I groaned. "And we can't fix the windows?"

Rapmon shook his head. "Not our place to fix. Now what're we playing?"

"Kimmy wanted to play truth or truth." J-Hope offered.

"No dares?" Rapmon asked. J-Hope shook his head, scowling at Suga and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter