The Morning After

Through the Veil and Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I don't know what happened next. I was standing in the kitchen next to the refridgerator, staring after Rapmon and hoping that this was all a very messed up dream and I'd wake up back at our old apartment with Kangdae-ssi still alive. Next thing I know, I'm laying in a bottom bunk in one of the bedrooms. Suga snored next to me, and I vaguely heard one of the boys quietly crying above me. I'm staring up into the darkness at the bunk above me, watching the beginnings of dawn reflect off the metal bars of the bunks. I think I had some corn flakes. There's some chunks of mashed up flakes stuck in one of my teeth, and my tongue can't seem to get it out.

Exhaustion clouded my thoughts and made my body heavy. I needed sleep, I knew that. After a night like tonight, anybody would. But I didn't want to sleep. It was childish, but I didn't want to deal with the dreams. Besides, it was almost light out, anyway, and these windows weren't treated, so it'd be too bright for sleep. So I stared up at the bunk above me, and wondered who was crying. It wasn't Rapmon. He went into the other bedroom. And it wasn't Suga, because he was laying next to me, snoring. And it wasn't Jungkook or Jimin, because they were sleeping on the pullout. So that left Jin, J-Hope, and Taehyung. It was hard for me to see any of them crying, but then again, after tonight, I suppose anything is possible.

Then I remembered. Jin couldn't sleep, Taehyung said, because of the spells he'd performed to heal Jin's injuries! Was that really earlier tonight? It felt like it was so long ago. So it was Jin who was crying! He had to be the only other one awake!

"Jin?" I whispered. "Is that you?"

There was a rustling as he moved in the bunk. "Ne. Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you. Go back to sleep."

"I don't think I can sleep anymore than you can." I said, which was a boldfaced lie, but I was still determined not to sleep.

"Do you want me to give you a sleeping spell?" asked Jin.

"Can you even?" I asked. "I don't want you to strain yourself after your fight on that mission."

"Gods, was that tonight?" Jin asked, and the bunkbed groaned as he pulled himself off it and climbed down the ladder. "And don't worry about me. Taehyung fixed me up enough for this. I just can't sleep until the magic on my heart is fixed."

Jin sat down next to my legs and pulled his Grim out of his pocket of his sweats. "Injured hearts aren't things to play around with." I said. "Did you get it checked out at Emergency Central?"

Jin chuckled quietly in the dim, early morning light. "If my heart could make it through Kangdae-ssi appearing in our living room, I think it can handle anything. It can certainly handle putting you to sleep." He flipped through the pages of his Grim for a sleeping spell. Maybe it was just the light, but he looked almost gaunt. Dog-tired and like all the life had been out of his face.

"You look tired." I mumbled.

"So do you." Jin answered.

"Tell me about your mission?" I asked.

Jin sighed. "That wouldn't make a very good bedtime story, would it, Kimmy?"

"I don't want to sleep." I told him.

"You need sleep." Jin replied.

"So do you."

"Yeah, but I can't sleep."

"And neither can I."

Jin looked over at Suga, who was still snoring. I was always amazed at how he could sleep anywhere, anytime, no matter how noisy. "Why do you wanna know what happened?" he asked.

"Because we never found out..." I yawned. "We never found out why the bomb was in Antarctica, or how Kangdae-ssi knew it was there."

"Kimmy, I think we have more important things to worry about now than the bomb." Jin said.

"Did you get the bomb?" I asked.

"No." Jin answered after a short pause. "But that bomb is worthless without its pair, which we do have."

"Do we?" I asked, as a horrible idea occured to me.

"Yes, Kimmy, we have it." Jin answered impatiently. "You recovered it, rememeber?"

"I recovered it," I repeated, "But Kangdae-ssi took it from us, and now he's dead."

"Now a lot of people are dead." Jin pointed out. I nodded.

"And who's - " I yawned again. I was very tired, but I needed to make this point. " - who's watching the bomb now? Do we still have it? What about those pictures J-Hope and Jimin took? Do we still have those?"

"She has a point." Suga said, sounding annoyed and tired. "This could all have been a huge distraction. We need to bring that up to Jaesun-ssi, and ask him about Antarctica." Suga yawned. "Tell him to double check with other Units' past missions, see if all their stuff is still there..."

"Yoongi-ah!" Jin whispered. "I didn't know you were awake." 

"You're very loud." Suga said. "Now since you're the only one of us who can't sleep right now, hyung - and I don't envy you for that - why don't you put Kimmy-ah to sleep and go report what she just said to Jaesun-ssi?"

"No, I don't want to sleep!" I protested.

"I'll make it dreamless." Jin assured me, holding my hand as he whispered a sleeping spell. I managed one last glare in his direction before I went under.

*****

What really annoys me about sleep when you're exhausted, is you're so exhausted you can't even enjoy that you're sleeping. It's just blackness, nothingness, you're not aware of any time passing. It seems like it's over in two seconds, too, so you don't even get the satisfaction of feeling like you've rested for hours on end. You just wake up, and boom, bright sunlight is blinding you, and you have to cover your face with an itchy, very thin blanket for any kind of relief.

Thank god this

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter