The Kidnapping

Through the Veil and Back
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I shivered. I groaned. I grabbed the blanket back, pulling it up over my head.

"I'm going to cut you up into little pieces and eat you." I growled.

"." Jimin whispered. "Come on, get up."

"No!" I whined. "It's late."

"It's nine at night." Jimin said. "For us, that's early morning." He tugged the blanket off me again.

"Give that back!"

"Nope. Sit up, come on." I groaned loudly, and Jimin shushed me as he pulled me upright to a sitting position. "Shh! Jin's only got headphones on, if you're too loud he'll hear!"

"I want to sleep!" I complained.

"You won't once you get out of bed!" Jimin said.

"Where do you think we're going?" I asked, glaring at him and wrapping the blanket around my shoulder.

"Out." Jimin said, sitting next to me. He was dressed in a brightly colored jacket and skinny jeans. "We're gonna go out."

"You couldn't wait for tomorrow?" I asked.

"You couldn't tell Rapmon was just humoring me?" Jimin countered. "Don't tell me you haven't been getting antsy either."

"I haven't been actually." I said. "I've been too tired and stressed and hungover to be antsy."

Jimin smiled knowingly. "You got all your antsiness out a couple nights ago, didn't you? When you snuck out the night Kangdae-ssi died?"

Now, see, I'd like to say my jaw dropped in surprise or something dramatic like that, but it didn't, because I'm a healthy adult with full control over my musculoskeletal system. Instead, my tired face twitched from trying to keep a straight face, and I looked hesitantly over at Jimin. "How do you know about that?"

"I wasn't asleep that night." Jimin said with a shrug. "I was actaully a little offended you didn't invite me along for the ride."

"I'm sorry." I said, for lack of anything else to say. "You didn't miss much."

"That's fine." Jimin said. "Because now I'm proving myself to be the better person by inviting you out on my late night adventure!"

"I respectfully decline."

"You don't have a choice." Jimin quipped. He bent over, picked up a plastic bag, and dropped it into my lap. "Get dressed, Kimmy, you're coming with me. Or else."

"Or else what?" I asked as I pulled a white tunic top with cold shoulders and black leggings out from the bag.

"Or else." Jimin repeated with a smile. "Get dressed!"

I sighed, resigning myself to my fate. Jimin wanted me to go out with him, and I couldn't see how I could convince him to wait. "Wait outside, I'll be right there."

Jimin fist pumped and gave me an excited kiss on the cheek as he danced his way out of the room, closing the door quietly behind him. I stood up and quickly started changing into my own clothes, leaving J-Hope's in a pile on the bed. I shivered. It was chilly tonight, and I hoped Jimin had managed to find a jacket for me as well. I took my Grim out from under the pillow, and patted my upper thighs. No pockets. Now I definitely needed a jacket.

I looked up at the top bunk, where Jin was laying. He stared at the ceiling, fingers laced together, hands resting on his chest, cheap headphones over his ears. I faintly heard a piano playing. I looked back down at Suga, who seemed to be having anything but a peaceful sleep. His hair stuck to his forehead with sweat, and his face was contorted into a grimace. His lips kept twitching. The Grim in my hands felt heavy. Did I have a spell for soothing sleep in there? It was sad that I didn't know. I really needed to look through my Grim more often.

"Kimmy?" Jimin whispered, opening the door a crack. "Are you ready?"

"Ne." I whispered back. "I'm just worried about Suga."

"Bleeding heart." Jimin teased. "Suga-hyung's a big boy. He can handle a little nightmare. I guarentee he'll be sleeping like a baby when we get back." He held the door open for me, and with one last slightly regretful look back at Suga, I stepped out of the bedroom with Jimin. Jimin closed the door as quietly as he could, and he and I tiptoed down the hall, around the pull-out bed where Jungkook was on his phone. I froze when I saw him still awake, and Jimin chuckled quietly beside me. Jungkook looked up from his phone at us.

"Don't worry." Jungkook whispered. "I've been paid handsomly to keep quiet about you two escapees."

Jimin handed me a black cardigan with a hood. "I'm doing all his chores at the old apartment for a while." he muttered.

I winced. "Even cleaning the bathroom?" Jimin nodded, and I patted his shoulder sympathetically. Jungkook smiled proudly before going back to his phone. Jimin double checked that he had his wallet, I put my Grim in one of the pockets of the cardigan, and the two of us silently crept out of the apartment.

"I don't know how I let you talk me into this..." I muttered as Jimin and I made our way to the elevator.

Jimin grinned. "Neither do I, Kimmy." He pressed the button and the elevator doors slid open. Jimin and I stepped into the elevator. The doors slid shut, and with the press of a button, we were wooshed down to the lobby.

"So where are we going?" I asked Jimin. Jimin shrugged, taking his wallet out of his pocket and counting through how many bills he had.

"I don't know." Jimin said. "We'll see what looks interesting."

I groaned. "You dragged me out of bed to run around a city we've never been to before, and you want to tell me you don't have a plan?"

"You don't need a plan, Kimmy." Jimin said. "The best things in life are spontaneous."

"So are the worst." I grumbled as the elevator doors opened in the lobby. "Like spontaneous human combustion, or spontaneous murder, or a spontaneous heart attack!"

"All of those involve death." Jimin observed. "We're not going to die tonight, Kimmy."

"That's why it's called spontaneous."

Jimin and I walked out the front doors onto the main street. It was immensely crowded, and out of habit, Jimin and I held hands to keep together. I heard laughing, shouting, music... It was jarring, after the relative silence of our apartment. I know it's hard for a cramped apartment with eight people living in it to be silent, but the boys and I were much more quiet than this. And it was a special kind of quiet, it was heavier than normal quiet. It was weighed down by grief and responsibility. I was once again reminded that for these people, the Empire didn't exist. They probably hadn't heard about the fires that had burst into existence across Asia. The weight of the Veil didn't crush these people like it did me. They could be happy tonight in a way that I couldn't be. I couldn't help but envy that. I wanted that.

"Don't worry, Kimmy." Jimin said to me as we walked down the street. "You're not going to die tonight, spontaneously or otherwise. Rapmon would kill me."

"I'd kill you." I joked. "I'd come back from the other side just to throttle you for letting me die."

"You won't have to, 'cause you ain't dying." Jimin said, looking at the stores that lined the road. "Wanna go shopping, Kimmy?"

"For what?" I asked skeptically.

"I dunno, clothes? Makeup?" Jimin asked.

"Do I need either of those things?" I asked.

"I don't know, do you?" Jimin countered.

"I have no use for pretty clothes, they'd get bloodstains in them!" I said. "And I don't know how to use most makeup."

Jimi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter