Four

When You Love

Hoseok is on his way back to the dorm. It's really late. Probably midnight but Hoseok didn't bother to look at the watch he is wearing. The walk was quiet. But Hoseok didn't mind the quietness. He needed it. His mind is in a mess. He didn't want to believe the things he heard from Lacie just now.

 

"When I was 7 my mother died from a brain cancer. My parents marriage was an arranged one. My father always resent my mother and the only reason why he agreed to marry my mother was because my grandfather would agree to give him all his companies if he have a child with my mother. My grandfather thought that when he finally have a son or daughter, my father would change and maybe love my mother. But the thing is, my father hates my mother so much that he even hated the fact that he had a child with her. After my mother died, my father finally get to marry the women he felt in love before he married my mother," she stops for a while letting out a sigh and continues.

 

"My stepmother already had a son with my father even before I was born. On that day my father told me everything, on how he hated my mother, and me. My stepmother hated me to the core. I was the daughter of the women who stole her lover. I was raised being told those things. I was so lonely. I don't have friends in school because my brother told my friends and classmates how my mother stole his father from him. Not until I entered middle school and I met Jae Yong, He was my senior in archery club. He is the only person who talk to me despite all the things my brother said about me. We become so close and when I entered the same high school with him he officially asked me out."

 

Hoseok thoughts was disturbed rudely when a car honk loudly at him. He then realize that he was walking in the middle of the streets. Bowing his head as the car passes him Hoseok walk to the side of the road and made a stop at a 24 hours drugstore. He needed to buy some pain relief patch. His shoulder is stiff and his head hurt probably from the stress. Walking out of the drugstore, he remembered the what Lacie said about coming to Korea.

 

"When he finished high school, Jae Yong have to move back to Korea to study and take over his father's business. He said that he will be waiting for me and so after I finishes high school I applied an English course at S University and got accepted so I move here. Everything was fine at first and after 2 years he started to drift away from me. I thought he was busy with taking over the business but then last week I learned that he got engage with a CEO daughter from a rival company." She said with tears starting to build up in her eyes.

 

Hoseok watched her silently and he pulls her into a hug. His heart breaks seeing her so vulnerable like this. He knows that she is way too far from his reach. The two of them have gone long way back together and Hoseok felt like he didn't fit there. He was just a disturbance. Even though he's really sure that his feelings for her were second to none, but in her eyes all she sees is Jae Yong. Right now Hoseok was just a kind friend that she can lean on.

 

Hoseok arrives at his dorm half an hour later and he goes straight back to his bed. His dorm-mates were worried and some of them tried to go to him to talk but Hyunwoo stop them signaling that Hoseok might need time to be alone. Hoseok pulls out his phone and he puts on his headphone and start to play some music.

 

A song by Bruno Mars - All she knows is playing and Hoseok's tears rolls down his cheeks when he heard the lyric,

"How do you heal a heart that can't feel it's broken..his love is all she knows..." 

 

Lacie was broken, she was broken deep inside. And the saddest part is that she didn't even realize how broken she is. And what was the worst part you might asked? Hoseok knows. He knows all about it and he thinks that he can't do anything about it.

==============////=============== 

 

It's midnight and Lacie is still awake. She can't sleep. Her heart is still beating fast. She don't know what to do. Her heartbeat does not decrease a bit. She can feel a slight burning and it hurts. It has been like this since Hoseok hugs her this morning after he scream at her. At first Lacie thought it was because he was mad and she is scared. But that feeling intensifies when Hoseok hug her again this evening. It felt like she is alive and breathing, and exist in this world. Almost like how it felt when Jae Yong hugs her... NO IT'S DIFFERENT! She knows that she is loved when Jae Yong hugged her but deep down she feels empty. But when Hoseok hugs her, her heart is so full she feel like it literally jumps out of her rib cage.

She felt that she is needed. She felt like Hoseok is telling her everything is gonna be just fine. She felt like she means the world to him. But how can she feel that way? Hoseok was just a friend right? Even he told her so. Besides, she love Jae Yong. She have loved him for 7 years now right? Jae Yong means the world to her.

 

So what is this feeling she felt towards Hoseok?

 

So many thoughts running through her mind. Lacie didn't know when her eyes finally gave up and her mind finally ease down. But her heart still beating fast as she falls asleep.

 

She wakes up at the sound of her loud alarm. Her head hurts. Probably due to the crying mess and unstable thinking yesterday. But still, she need to wake up. She need to go to work. She owes her manager an apology...and her team members too. She can't believe she just skip work and spend the rest of her day crying with Hoseok. Her face suddenly blushed as she remembering the things that happen yesterday. How should she face Hoseok today? He already knows pretty much everything and her past is not something she proud of. She hoped Hoseok comes to the bakery today and at the same time she hope Hoseok would never show up again. She wants to see him so bad but she didn't know how to face him.

Wait, what? Why would she wants to see Hoseok so bad? There are things she need to straight up with Jae Yong. Her feelings for Jae Yong, his supposedly upcoming wedding, their relationship, and about her uncertain feelings towards Hoseok...

 

What?!! What is happening to her? Why did she thought of Hoseok? Everything is Hoseok?!

======////======

 

Lacie leaves her house in a zombie-like state. The aunty next door was asking why her face is so pale but she just smile softly and walk away. The 10 minutes' walk to the bakery felt like 10 hours. Her feet refused to take another step and Lacie literally force her own feet to follow her brain commands. When she finally reaches the bakery, her manager is already waiting in front of the door looking at her worriedly.

 

"Where have you been yesterday young lady?" he nags like an annoying father but Lacie grins knowing that her manager is just worried and he cared about all his team members.

 

"I was not feeling very well. I'm sorry Sangwoo oppa."

 

"At least call me or pick up the damn phone when I'm calling. Do you know how worried we were yesterday?!"

 

"I know, and I'm sorry. I won't do that again I promise."

 

"Get in and explain to Mika and the others. She was freaking out badly yesterday. She must be really worried," his manager said and ushered Lacie into the bakery.

 

Lacie spent an hour apologizing and explaining what happen to the team member. A white lie of course. That she was not feeling well and she went to the clinic and everything was fine.

 

She does look fine the whole morning until she drop 2 glasses when she saw Hoseok entering the bakery with a guy. Hoseok ordered the usual and a latte for the guy he came with and they settle at the usual left corner seating. His eyes was fixed on Lacie everywhere she goes. Lacie pretends she didn't notice Hoseok's eyes on her. She avoided walking near to the corner Hoseok sits until her shift was over and Hoseok calls her to join him. She goes slowly towards Hoseok, heart beating fast and she can feel her face becoming hot. she was sure she look as red as grilled prawn right now but she keeps walking and sits in a chair facing Hoseok.

 

"Hyung this is Lacie, the one I've been telling you about," he said softly almost sounding like a whisper. "Lacie, this is my dorm-mate, a trainee like me. His name is Son Hyunwoo."

 

"Nice meeting you Son Hyunwoo shi. I'm Lacie, Hoseok's friend."

 

"Nice meeting you too Lacie. Hoseok talks about you a lo.." he couldn't continue as Hoseok was cupping his mouth and laughing nervously.

 

Lacie giggles watching the two of them. Hyunwoo is taller than Hoseok even when they were sitting and his build is wide. He looks like a bear. A soft bear. Seems like a very kind and protective hyung towards his dongsaeng too.

 

"I have a very good news I want to share with you Lacie!" Hoseok said excitedly.

His excited tone makes Lacie's heart skip a beat and she asked Hoseok the good news.

 

"Finally we will have a chance to debut! Just a chance though, but still it was great."

 

"Really?! OMG Hoseok I'm so happy for you!" Lacie beams brightly.

 

"Uhm... It's a survival show where the 12 of us trainee will compete with each other to debut. Only 7 of us got to debut though, that's the bad side of it," Hoseok said while looking down.

 

"But still... This is a great chance to proof yourself and chase your dream Hoseok ah. However it is going to be you just have to work hard as always and show them what you can do and how passionate you are."

 

Hyunwoo looks at Lacie with wide eyes when she continues, "I know it's sad that only 7 of you will debut but that is what makes it worth it. People will know that all of you work really hard and how much you guys want this. And if..only if you were eliminated god forbid that please, there's nothing to be ashamed of. You will definitely have another chance."

 

Hyunwoo was captivated for a moment. He then looks at Hoseok and give him a meaningful smile. Now he knows why Hoseok was head over heels for her. They only manage to spent an hour talking but it's enough to leave a great impression for Hyunwoo. He was worried at first when he thought about this girl Hoseok was telling him about. But meeting Lacie today was great. She is indeed different. When she heard that they are already late for practice she politely refuse their offer to walk her home even when Hoseok pouts and sulk she simply just smile ruffle through his hair and said that she will see him again tomorrow.

==================////===================