Sparks

After Forever

Joohyun stumbled into room 492, assessing the situation within seconds. A youthful-looking brunette was frantically going about the motions to prepare an IV blood transfusion for one of the eight newly-admitted car accident victims tonight. The patient lay in bed, skin pale, body covered up to the neck by bedsheets. Yerim looked up from the syringe, her eyes filled with terror and desperation, hands shaking with nerves.

“Yerim! What blood type is that?” Joohyun demanded as she felt an uncharacteristically large spike in her temper.

“B negative,” Yerim said hastily, patting the hanging IV bag, “It’s been out of storage for ten minutes, I’m using an eighteen gauge catheter, and-”

“This patient is blood type A. The patient next door, room 491, is type B.”

“Oh,” Yerim’s eye’s widened and she paused for a brief moment before frantically beginning to disassemble the rig, “I’m so sorry, I must have gotten them confused, it’s not like me, I didn’t mean to, I’ll get a new one set up-”

“You could have killed him. Transfusion reactions are serious.”

“I know, I’m sorry, Joohyun-unnie, it’ll never happen again, I promise.” Yerim looked to be on the verge of tears now.

“I know it won’t, because I’m writing you up for this.”

Yerim offered no response, instead turning away completely in order to work on removing the blood bag. Joohyun stood there for a moment, watching the younger girl struggle to simultaneously wipe away her tears and complete her work. Joohyun's anger slowly began to recede, replacing itself with a wash of shame and self-loathing. She had no right to be taking her frustrations out on her subordinate.

“Yerim,” Joohyun said, walking over and placing a hand on the brunette’s shoulder, “I’m sorry for being so harsh with you like that. I’m not going to write you up. Take that blood bag and go to the room over. 491. Dr. Park needed that blood type. I’ll finish up taking care of this patient.”

“Thank you, Joohyun-unnie!” Yerim said smiling radiantly and wrapping both arms around the older girl’s waist. Joohyun gave her a brief hug back before easily removing the blood bag from the rig and handing it to Yerim.

“Make sure you’re on top of your game when you go into that room with Dr. Park. You know how tough Sooyoung can be.”

Yerim nodded seriously and went to depart. Before she did, however, she pointed at Joohyun’s belt.

“You got a text. Not on the work phones, yours.”

Joohyun rummaged through the plethora of flip phones that she kept at her belt and fished out her iPhone.

“From Seulbear: Hey, how’s work coming?”

Joohyun smiled. Although it was just a short, four-word text, she knew that Seulgi wouldn’t have sent that text unless she was thinking about her. She also knew that it likely took twenty minutes or so of the younger girl gathering her bravado in order to send it. Joohyun answered swiftly.

“To Seulbear: Busy night. How’s the club? Listen, I’m sorry for the way I overreacted earlier. You can hang out with whoever you want. I love you and I trust you enough that I know you won’t do anything to hurt me. I’ll see you when I get home (:”

She stowed her phone away then, returning to her work with a newfound vigor. Although Seulgi’s words had been harsh, they were true. Her girlfriend had given Joohyun no reason not to trust her. There was absolutely nothing to worry about.

Joohyun hummed to herself as she finished completing the IV setup, hoping that their argument wouldn’t prevent Seulgi from having fun tonight.

***

Seulgi had no idea how she ended up in the park across from the club. She could remember small sections of her journey there; she remembered how she and the angelic girl had danced, how they’d gotten closer and closer, how eventually they were intertwined, shifting as one in the alternating light and dark, a complex movement of limbs and hair, a striking, intricate conjunction between strangers as deep as the ocean. She remembered the girl taking her hand wordlessly, tugging at her, leading her outside. And that was it. All she knew now was that she was laying on a bed of cool grass, listening to the sounds of traffic in the distance and looking up at a crescent moon. Her ears were still ringing from the bombastic club music.

    “I just realized I don’t know your name.” a sweet voice rang out from beside her.

    “Kang Seulgi.”

    “I’m Son Seungwan.”

    Seulgi turned to look at the girl beside her. She was laying there, hands behind her head, blonde hair splayed out around her, staring up at the moon with a peculiar expression on her face.

    “Why did you bring me here?” Seulgi asked.

    “I don’t know,” Seungwan said uncertainly, “I got sick of the club, and I wanted somewhere quiet to talk. I’m pretty drunk right now.”

    “I can guarantee you that I’m drunker.”

    The blonde laughed, her face becoming childlike, as if her joy was able to remove ten-years from her features. Seulgi found herself unable to rent her gaze from Seungwan.

    “I left my friends back there,” Seungwan said, “They’re going to be worried about me.”

    “That’s okay. I left my friends behind, too. And my phone’s dead.”

    “You can use mine if you need to.”

    “Maybe later. I think I’ll hang out here for awhile. It's a nice night.”

    They were quiet then. Seulgi tried to think of something, anything to say, but found that her alcohol-addled mind was unable to conjure up anything of substance. As she was contemplating asking what Seungwan did for a living, she felt something move over her hand, and looked down to see a rather large beetle traversing the back of her palm. In her drunken state, she shrieked and shot up to a sitting position, poised to brush the creature away, when Seungwan suddenly darted her own hand out, scooping the beetle up and placing it safely in the grass, far away from Seulgi.

    “Thanks,” Seulgi said when her heart rate returned to normal, “I hate bugs.”

    “Me too,” Seungwan said thoughtfully, “But I hate hurting things more. Especially something so innocent as a beetle.”

    Seulgi was left speechless by the random depth of her new friend’s words.

    “Besides being drunk, why’d you let me bring you out here?” Seungwan asked, finally turning to look Seulgi in the eyes, causing the black-haired girl’s heart to return to its frantic rhythms.

    “Because you’re a gorgeous girl and an amazing dancer.”

    Seungwan’s eyes widened slightly and her cheeks turned a bright shade of red. Seulgi regretted her words instantly. How could she be so stupid?

    “Thank you,” Seungwan said, now picking at a couple of blades of grass, “You’re both of those things too.”

    “So, what do you do? Like, for a living, I mean. I’m a fourth grade teacher.” Seulgi asked, attempting to shift the subject to something else, desperate to hide her embarrassment.

    “A teacher? That’s actually really cool. When I was younger, I wanted to be a teacher, too. But, I’m actually a physician,” Seungwan said with an air of pride, “I work at Seoul University Hospital in the pediatric ward.”

    Seulgi froze. For a moment, it felt like time was standing still. Because she remembered why she shouldn’t be here. She remembered someone else who worked at Seoul University Hospital, someone very special to her, someone who was, in fact, working right now.

    “Are you okay?” Seungwan asked, her voice filled with concern. She leaned closer to Seulgi, closing the distance between them, “If you need to puke, I can hold your hair for you.”

    “No… no, I’m fine, it’s just that I think my friends are gonna be worried about me. Wh-what time is it?”

    Seungwan backed off a bit as she checked her phone, still looking worried.

    “One-thirty.”

    “Oh, okay. My friends wanted me to meet them at the car at two.”

    “Then we have plenty of time.” Seungwan said, scooting over to sit closer to Seulgi. The monolidded girl must have accidentally given her a nervous look, because she added, “I’m coming to protect you from the bugs.”

    Seulgi giggled anxiously.

    “Are you sure something isn’t wrong?”

    “Actually… yeah,” Seulgi admitted, though she decided to avoid telling the full truth, “I-I’m just in a weird place tonight, mentally. Just some issues with my roommate. You know, dumb stuff.”

    “Oh… I’m sorry to hear that. I had issues with my last roommate too. I ended up just moving out. We argued too much.”

    Seulgi remained silent then, looking down at the grass between her crossed legs and trying to shove away the terrible thoughts that were threatening to consume her. This continued for less than a minute until she suddenly felt a hand on the bottom of her chin, gently lifting her face up.

    She looked into Seungwan’s eyes. Seungwan looked into hers. The blonde’s eyes flitted up and down, resting on Seulgi’s lips for a moment before catching the taller girl’s stare once more. She smiled, and Seulgi couldn’t help but smile back. Seungwan’s hand still hadn’t left Seulgi’s chin.

    “I think I can make you feel a little better.”

    Seulgi was rendered helpless as the magnificent angel placed both hands on either side of her face. She knew what was coming. The conflict roiling within her threatened to spill over. She closed her eyes, her brain screaming at her to stop while her body screamed louder for her to continue. She shouldn’t be doing this. What would Joohyun think if she was here, if she saw her beloved girlfriend like this, under the moonlight in the warm air, her face framed by two perfect hands, her lips beginning to pucker as she awaited a kiss from someone else? These thoughts came too late.

    Their lips met for a fleeting moment, and it was bliss. It was an experience that Seulgi had never had before. Waves of comfort spread from the point of contact, filling the monolidded girl with a smoldering heat that threatened to overwhelm her. She wanted to kiss back harder, wanted to pull the angel into an embrace, down onto the grass, to roll around with her, to run her fingers through those perfect blonde locks, to bask in every inch of this beautiful girl before her. But in the end, Seulgi’s brain won.

    She tore herself away from Seungwan and stood up in the same movement. Seungwan looked up, brow furrowed in both concern and disappointment.

    “Seulgi?”

    “I-I have to go. My friends. I gotta… I’ll see you around.”

Seulgi took off then, stumbling slightly as she went, hurrying towards the park exit.

As she watched the black-haired girl leaving, Seungwan noticed something glistening in the grass. She picked it up and began calling after Seulgi, but the taller girl didn’t acknowledge her, instead disappearing into the night.

Seungwan looked down at the white iPhone, secretly pleased that she had an excuse to talk to Kang Seulgi again.

----------------------------------

Since you guys seemed more than okay with my frequent updates, here's the next chapter. I wrote it last night but I wanted polish it a little so that's why I'm posting it today instead. I know you guys had theories that it was actually Irene in the club, but unfortunately for her, it was not /:

Also, next chapter(s?) will be Joyri, so if you were waiting for that you'll have to wait no longer (:

Thanks for reading<3