Beginning to Begin to See the End

After Forever

    After bidding Seulgi goodbye, Joohyun collapsed onto their shared bed. Although she was utterly spent from the night and morning’s events, she noticed a rectangular form pressing up against her lower back as she laid down. The blonde flipped over and frowned as she discovered Seulgi’s phone, left abandoned and forgotten in the younger girl’s haste to get to work. As she was placing the phone on the nightstand, her finger slipped over the home button and turned the display on, showing one unread message. Normally, Joohyun would have ignored it, as she didn’t want to be one of those girlfriends who was constantly involved in her significant other’s business. However, the name of the sender caught her eye immediately, making her heart flutter with anxiety upon seeing it: “Kim Jisoo”.

    Joohyun bit her lip. She wanted to trust Seulgi, she really did. But the things had been going on lately were just too suspicious for her taste. Joohyun told herself that looking at Seulgi’s text this once would be acceptable. She knew Seulgi would never do anything to hurt her. It was just for her own peace of mind, nothing more. She would just look at this one message, assuage her own fears, and move on. That was it.

    Joohyun opened the text.

***

    Seulgi fumbled with her keys as she opened the door to her apartment, half out of tiredness and half out of innate clumsiness. The day had dragged on, and the copious amounts of coffee she’d consumed only served to make her feel more agitated, failing to put even a small dent in the armor of tiredness that coated her body. Of course, forgetting her phone at home had made things even worse, as she was unable to chat with Joohyun during her downtime.

Seulgi stepped into her apartment and practically tossed her bag down, kicking off her shoes in an unceremonious fashion as she made a beeline for the couch. Just as she was about to fall limp onto its wonderfully fluffy cushions, Joohyun stepped into view, wearing a long, wrinkled T-shirt and a pair of old sweatpants. The older girl’s hair was tied into a messy bun, and her face was puffy and swollen. There was a visceral sadness about her eyes as her gaze fell upon Seulgi. She had clearly been crying all day.

“Hyun?” Seulgi asked in a sympathetic voice, stepping closer to her girlfriend, “What’s wrong sweetie?”

To Seulgi’s surprise, the older girl took a swift step back, her mask of sadness transforming into a snarl of rage that the younger girl had never seen before.

“Seulgi,” the blonde’s voice came low and measured, as if she were trying her best to keep it steady, “Please… please tell me that she’s lying to me.”

“What? What are you talking about?” Seulgi was genuinely confused now.

“Jisoo.”

“Jisoo?” the words had already escaped from her lips by the time she’d realized what was going on, “Wh-what about her? What did she-”

“You know what I’m talking about. Don’t pretend like you don’t know what I’m talking about.” Joohyun practically spat the words at her girlfriend.

“What did she tell you exactly?” Seulgi asked, “Because she could’ve told you anything, so I’m not sure what-”

“ABOUT YOU ING CHEATING ON ME!” Joohyun screamed, causing Seulgi to cower backwards in fear, “I saw the text she sent you this morning. About how if you didn’t talk to her by tonight, she would tell me? Well I called her. And… and she told me everything, Seulgi. Everything. How you disappeared with some girl in the club for a few hours, how she ended up returning your phone to you, how Jisoo and Lisa saw you out last night with that same ing girl. Seungwan. That was her name, right? Just a character from a novel, right?”

Seulgi opened , but found that she was unable to form words. She stumbled backwards further, shocked by the viciousness in her normally docile girlfriend’s voice, shocked by the fact that it was all crashing down on her, shocked by how genuinely bad she felt about it - how genuinely bad she felt not for herself, but for Joohyun. The older girl looked broken, tears running down her crimson face and her breathing coming in quick, heavy pants.

“Joohyun, it’s not what you think, she’s just a friend-”

“JUST A FRIEND?!” Joohyun let out a sarcastic laugh, the iciness in her tone carrying over into the fake expression of amusement, causing her to sound truly deranged, “Who leaves a club with ‘just a friend’ for hours without telling anyone where they’re going? Who goes out in their nicest dress to a fancy restaurant one-on-one without telling their girlfriend with ‘just a friend’?”

Seulgi was speechless again. She could feel tears beginning to well up in her own eyes now. They were tears of fear and sadness and realization. Everything was falling apart, right then and there, and it was too much to take. She didn’t know what to do.

“How could you, Seulgi?” Joohyun asked, her voice rapidly shifting now from its previous terrifying height to a quiet, broken squeak, “I thought you were different... We’ve been together for five years. Have you been doing this kind of thing the whole time? Wh-why? Is it something I did? It has to be, this is the second time this has happened now, but still… I love you. And I thought you loved me.”

The older girl dropped to her knees, right there on the carpeted floor, burying her face in her hands and sobbing.

“I do love you!” Seulgi hurried forward, reaching out to pull her girlfriend into an embrace, “I love you, Joohyun, there’s nothing wrong with you, it-”

“DON’T ING TOUCH ME!” Joohyun screamed, grabbing Seulgi’s hand as soon as it made contact with her shoulder and shoving the younger girl back.

Seulgi began to cry in full now. This couldn’t be happening. What had she done?

“Get out,” Joohyun demanded, standing up, towering over the now crouching Seulgi, “I never want to see you again.”

“Joohyun, please, let me explain!”

“No. I don’t care anymore. Leave. And never come back.”

“Please… we can fix this, I never meant for it to get this far.”

“JUST GO!” Joohyun screamed, grabbing the nearest object (which happened to be Seulgi's phone) from her pocket and chucking it violently in Seulgi’s direction. Luckily, the monolidded girl was able to dodge the projectile (it didn’t occur to her that Joohyun wasn’t aiming for her).

Seulgi got to her feet, scooping up her mostly broken phone and offering one last tearful look at her girlfriend before running out the door.

-----------

So since I made you guys wait so long for an update, I decided to do two updates in two days! They're kinda small, I know, but they wouldn't really fit together as one chapter so I decided to separate them.

Thanks for reading<3