Eight: "20 minutes" to death

Sweet Summer Escapade

I was about to devour my first taste of the shrimp and my first meal of the day when she suddenly slapped my hand, making the shrimp fall back to my bowl.

"What?" I demanded. But her look made me force a bitter smile on my lips.

"Fine, fine. My story." I gushed in resignation and she nodded.

"First, I am Kim Seokjin but everyone calls me Jin Kim. I hope you won't call me ajeossi anymore"

"Whatever, you're still an ajeossi to me and I didn't ask for your name." She retorted and I shushed her.

"My story isn't done yet." I gushed and she kept quiet.

"Kim Seokjin is my name when I was in the province as my parents threw me away to my butler's home. They didn't like me as I was sickly and I'm useless in their business, basically because I had an older brother whom they trusted and loved so much. I only became Jin Kim when my parents decided to recycle me after my brother's death due to an illness."

"So basically, your brother was supposed to be the heir of your family's business?" She asked and I nodded.

"You know, I was already living my own life when they forced me back in their family. I had no choice but to live there, they are still my parents after all. But doing the business wasn't my dream. I didn't like it. I wanted to get away with it so a chance came when Dad decided to bring me to the summer business trip he planned with some investors. We're on the cruise and I thought of the fate I had to face. So I jumped off the cruise. And swam my way here"

"Are you even normal? Who even swims the sea just to get away with life? Are you perhaps a merman?" She commented; I shrugged it off.

"I did. And no, I'm not a merman. I just learned how to swim when I was in the province. So anyway, I came here because this is the only place I could see. I thought there are a lot of things to see here but sad to say, just 22 houses with the same structure, a mini-clothing store with impressive prices, a temporarily closed food house, a book shop which is called a café for serving books, a delusional drunkard and a..." I looked at her, glaring at me. As if she was ready to stab me with her chopsticks if I said anything that would offend her.

"A stranger who offered her house and food to another stranger," I finished and her look softened.

"Eat to your hearts content." She simply said as she took a sip from her soup. I immediately picked up my chopstick and started filling my mouth with all the tasty foods set before me.

"Aahnywhay, y're hol kisschons directedname? Waboutyoh? Homay hupposedchorustou?" I asked, still stuffing foods in my mouth.

"At least chew your food before talking. Gawd! Are you're cursing me in Greek?" She commented, looking at me in disgust. 

Where have my manners gone? I realized I'm still a guest in this lady's house so I chewed my food and drank some water to clear my mouth.

"So as I was saying, why are all the questions directed to me? I mean what about you? How am I supposed to trust you? I might be surprised if you're actually someone I shouldn't have gone with." I asked and her face became serious.

"Aah, so you're asking if you should trust me. Well, I've met a lot of strangers like you. And you know what I did to them? I also brought them home. And the food they ate had bits of poisonous substance; the one that kills people softly, slowly. As for you, it might take effect for 20 minutes which started since you ate the corvina, by the way."

My mouth came agape and the soup I stuffed in there dripped freely. Oh Gawd! Am I going to die? ! Why did I not think twice before coming with her in her house? Is that why the fishermen was looking at me while saying 'be careful'? Is that the reason why there was no name below her house number? Gawd! I shouldn't have run away from home.