sixteen: meaningful

Sweet Summer Escapade

"Why are you here? Today's your Mom's surgery, right? Shouldn't you be in the hospital?" I asked soon as she entered the café.

 

"Mom asked me yesterday not to come. She said I'd only scare the nurses and doctors if I cried during her surgery," she replied, half chuckling.

 

"Right, I almost forgot... the kids said they're going to come in this afternoon," I informed as she took her position at the counter.

 

I just fixed the books which some of the customers read yesterday. It was unusual to see but I had five costumers yesterday, besides the kids who came every day.

 

"Well, they usually do that. Play in the morning and learn in the afternoon since its hot outside." She commented and started to check the books on the counter.

 

When I went back to the counter, she was smiling while talking to someone on the phone.

 

After the call, she turned to me and smiled even wider.

 

"Good news?" I asked and she nodded.

 

"Mom's surgery went well and someone paid for the bills. Gawd! I'm so happy."

 

"That’s good to hear. You should visit your Mom later." I said.

 

"Of course, I will."

 

Just as I was about to talk, another phone call came and my heartbeat raced as I look at her answer the call.

 

I took my time to study her face, memorizing every curve of it. I know I would not be seeing her few moments from now and something in me ached. It was painful making me want to cry but I blinked back the tears after she yelled in happiness.

 

Good news for her...kind of bad for me.

 

"Jin-ah, can you believe it? I just got a call from the publication you recommended. Guess what? They liked all my stories and they asked if they could edit some grammar errors and publish it under my name. Gawd! This is so daebak! I can't believe this day is full of good news." She cheered. And I smiled as I messed her hair.

 

"Good job. I told you, you had the potential. Should we celebrate? Do you want ice cream?" I offered and her face brightened even more.

 

"Sure! I want the same one I ordered yesterday," she agreed and excitedly danced. It made us laugh and this is making it hard for me to leave.

 

"Okay, I'll be back." I said and she sang 'okay'. I chuckled as I closed the door.

 

She was still dancing in victory as I watched her from the outside.

 

Seulgi-ah, please be well. Thanks for making my summer escapade a meaningful one.