seven: strangers

Sweet Summer Escapade

Her house was located at the far end of this town. I think I've passed by her place while I was looking for an inn.

 

22 ...

 

Strange. Her house is the only one which has no engraved names below the house number.

 

"Aren't you coming in?" She asked and it took me a second to realize I was spacing out while looking at her house number.

 

"Is your house the last one in here?" I asked and she shrugged before answering.

 

"Yes, if you're referring to this town only." She replied as she prepared the pot.

 

I surveyed her place and the structure reminded me of the house I've been living back in the province. The living room is just beside the kitchen or dining room. A sofa sat across the small television and radio in the living room. The divider for the rooms is a wooden shelf, it contained some picture frames and trophies, I couldn't figure what awards they were. Each side of the house had doors, probably her room and the comfort room.

 

I was about to sit down on the sofa when she said "Oops!" So I automatically stood up again. I looked at her and she was serious.

 

"I don't know if I can really trust you." What does trusting me have to do with me sitting on her sofa?

 

"I told you, I'm not from here and I'm not a creep." I stated and she didn't seem to be convinced.

 

"Okay," I said and went towards the kitchen and I sighed before sitting on the chair beside the dining table.

 

"I ran away from home, not exactly home because I jumped off the cruise we were riding for a business trip. I just hated my life, the fate I had to face so I kicked myself out of the household." I narrated but she looked at me sternly.

 

"Oh Gawd! You don't want me to go into detail, do you?" I uttered and she gave me a look that's equivalent to saying 'uhuh!you-better-tell-me-the-truth-and-every-bit-of-information-there-is.'

 

"Hey, stop staring. You're spooking." I complained but she didn't budge. I sighed in resignation.

 

"Fine! I'll tell you once we start eating. I'm seriously starving; I might not be able to tell you the truth because of hunger." I suggested and she shrugged before continuing with her cooking. I helped her slice the vegetables and I also prepared the side dishes, as per her instruction.

 

We didn't talk much except when I asked about the seasonings and plates. I enjoyed the silence but it kind of felt awkward. Of course, it's awkward! Here I am, a stranger, inside another stranger's house, cooking with that same stranger and later on going to eat with that stranger who suspects me of my being a stranger in this strange place. Yep, we're basically strangers.