four: "temporarily closed"

Sweet Summer Escapade

I've already went around the small island but there are no restaurants around. Not even a convenience store. Well, there was one food house but there was a note saying "Temporarily Closed."

 

My stomach is already growling and I seriously am dying of starvation. In hopes of someone opening the food house, I sat on a bench under the tree across the food house. While waiting for what seems like forever, a drunk old man passed by.

 

"Excuse me ajeossi, but can I ask you a question?" I asked as he eyed me from head to toe.

 

"Are you perhaps a runaway groom or something? I looked like you when I decided to get away with the s of life." He asked, not really trying to find something out, just curious. I chuckled to his query.

 

He was probably drunk but he seemed sober while asking me that.

 

"No, I-I was just—I got lost." I lied; this is better than revealing who I am to a stranger.

 

"Sir, do you think this food house would open today? It says it’s temporarily closed." I asked as I pointed towards the food house.

 

"They open every 9:00 in the evening though. I was here yesterday, even the other day. They really have great variety of tasty food in there. Well, if you're not busy, let's drink and come here later. I really need a companion." He offered, but I had to decline. I never drank before and I have no plans of getting drunk in a mysterious island.

 

"I'm sorry, sir. I'm afraid I can't join you—”

 

"Oh, okay. It's okay. I didn't drink when I ran away too." He cut me off and went his way. I looked at him as he went off and he was walking as if he would be off balance any moment.

 

I looked back at the food house and I think I would have to wait for nine hours. I'd better find a place to stay.