Chp 9: Sacred

Vincit Qui Se Vincit

--

“Senator, please stick out your tongue and say ‘ah’.”

Chanyeol clears his throat and phlegm grossly clears from his rough coughs. His mouth widens and he sticks out his tongue. He’s got a white film over his tongue and quite a few big bumps.

“Ah,” Chanyeol tries, but it comes out hoarse and whisper like. The medical droid peers inside his mouth with a flashlight illuminating the back of his throat. The droid takes a small sample from the Senator’s throat and puts it into a vial. Jongdae tries his best not to reel in disgust when the sample plops into the liquid.

Chanyeol finally closes his mouth and breathes heavily through his mouth from exhaustion. His face looks slightly flush with a fever. Another droid pats his forehead dry when the Senator breaks out into a sweat, the start of a fever breaking through.

The main medical droid is almost done completing his analysis when Chanyeol starts coughing violently. Jongdae wants to step in and help his friend, but he also doesn’t want to touch the sickly man. It’s been a long time since Jongdae has seen someone so ill, and he’s not exactly a medical expert. And since the droids gave Jongdae a white mask, his thoughts turn for the worst. Chanyeol looks so miserable lying in bed with tissues stuffed into a waste bag and his skin looking deathly.

“Hey,” Chanyeol clears his throat again, peeling his eyes open. “Could I have some water?”

A medical droid goes to grab the water pitcher from the other side of the room, but Jongdae darts to it first. He grabs it and says gently, “I’ve got it.”

He tries his best to stay clear of Chanyeol, but his friends fingers slightly touch him when he hands the glass over. Jongdae tries his best not to freak out, especially when Chanyeol looks so miserable. It isn’t his fault he got sick, Jongdae hopes. It’s rare to get a sickness with so much medical advancement, but it does happen when people are overworked. The human race, especially, is very susceptible to disease when worn down.

“Thanks,” Chanyeol says a little clearer when he downs the glass. He places it aside and flops back into his bed. “This .”

“It’s not too bad,” Jongdae says with a smile behind the mask, even when Chanyeol’s breathing whistles slightly. “At least you’re relieved of your duties for the day. You get to finally relax now.”

“But I can’t breathe,” Chanyeol whines. “This is not the vacation I was looking forward to.”

 “When’s the last time you’ve taken a vacation?” Jongdae laughs when Chanyeol pitifully throws his hands into the covers over him. Jongdae’s eyes settle warmly on his friend. “That’s what I thought.”

The medical droid then wheels over towards Chanyeol’s beside, and Jongdae steps aside to allow room for the droid. With its robotic voice, it goes over its analysis.

“The diagnosis points to an infection in your lungs,” The droid says. Chanyeol coughs and seethes in pain. “Your symptoms are not severe, but without treatment, they could lead to irreversible damage.”

Chanyeol struggles to breathe, “You mean I’ll die.”

“Yes, that is correct, Senator,” the droid says bluntly, which doesn’t make anyone in the room feel any better. “We will start treatment now. You will not be able to interact with any species that are susceptible to your disease since it is highly contagious. You will be monitored until the infection clears.”

“And how long will that be?” Chanyeol settles back into his pillows and closes his eyes. He looks absolutely exhausted.

“At least two weeks,” the droid confirms his analysis. Chanyeol suddenly shoots up from his bed and coughs violently.

“Two weeks!” Chanyeol coughs into his mucus bucket, which Jongdae thinks isn’t sanitary. “I cannot do that, there’s no way.”

“Senator, you need to recover,” the droid says again robotically. Jongdae can see Chanyeol getting visibly upset despite his fatigue. “The infection will spread with anything less than a full recovery.”

“You don’t understand. I’m a Senator. My job description is to interact with people,” Chanyeol argues, even if his voice is dying in his throat. He flops in his bed, eyes pricked with tears from the pain in his chest.

Jongdae suddenly steps in, with a safe distance away, and interrupts the medical droid. He looks at Chanyeol with a stern face, “Chanyeol, you can’t risk spreading your infection. It’s for your people’s safety.”

Chanyeol tries to cough away. He clears his throat again, squeezes his shut and breathes from his mouth again. He croaks, “I can’t.”

Jongdae presses, “Why not?”

Chanyeol his lips, “I have to give a speech in a couple days for the Senate.”

“It can wait.”

“It can’t,” Chanyeol strains, eyes practically begging. “It’s a bill to fund further War efforts. The Government doesn’t have enough funds to protect Government supporters. If we don’t build our relief efforts, we may lose our allies to Eko. And they’ve been gaining a lead since Silo has made contact with them.”

What the Senator says is true. Recently, many planets in the Outer Rim that have aligned themselves with the Government have been ravaged and pillaged by Eko and new recruitments from the bandits underneath Silo. Even before Eko Regime’s reign, Silo the bandit was at the top of everyone’s hitlist. He’s sneaky and someone that’s absolutely unpredictable. Now with two super powers colluding together, it’s brought unrest in the War.

Jongdae can see and feel the frustration from Chanyeol. He understands his argument, but he knows that diseases are nothing to play with. Jongdae can only look over to the medical droid and ask, “Will he be able to fully recover before the speech?”

The medical droid hums, but ultimately comes to a conclusion, “We shall monitor him, but there is a .02% chance that he will be fully recovered by that time.”

Jongdae turns back to Chanyeol, who just pouts in his bed like a toddler. Jongdae pulls a face of determination. “Did you hear that? Stay in bed and rest, okay? We’ll figure out what to do with the speech later.”

Chanyeol groans and attempts to throw a pillow at Jongdae’s head when the Jedi ducks out of the room.

-

When Jongdae returns to Tython, word has already gotten out that the favored Naboo Senator is ill before Jongdae can mutter it. Even when Jongdae is heading to the Council room to report his findings on Naboo, Baekhyun is just a hop and skip away with rapid fire questions.

“Was he actually dying, or was he faking it? Was he oozing? Was he all bloody? Are you sick? Am I going to be sick? Is there a cure –“

Jongdae shoves his hand over Baekhyun’s mouth because no words would ever shut him up like physical force. Jongdae sighs, “I’ll talk to you after, okay?”

Baekhyun nods in confirmation, eyes wide when breathing becomes difficult. Jongdae releases his hand and hears a gasp come from Baekhyun. Jongdae continues walking toward the Council room, determined to give his report, but Baekhyun tails him. He’s silent, however, and Jongdae can’t fault him for that. Baekhyun then waits outside the room patiently.

Jongdae enters the Council room to be faced with five Master’s in their seats, waiting. Jongdae stands in the circle and firmly at attention. All the Master’s inspect Jongdae’s presence and begin roughly from the silence.

“Welcome, Jedi Kim,” Grand Master Pho, now showing some age, welcomes. “What is your report?”

“I traveled to Naboo when I was ordered to follow a distress signal from their Senator,” Jongdae begins, eyes traveling across the board. “Senator Park has fallen ill. While it is highly contagious and serious, he should be able to recover fully with the right treatment and rest.”

There’s a bit of silence as the Master’s contemplate. Master Obrec finally speaks seriously, “How long will it take for him to recover?”

“The medical droid assessing him says they will monitor his progress. The estimated recovery time is two weeks,” Jongdae replies as the Master’s nods their heads. Jongdae feels a pang in his heart when he hears Chanyeol’s echo of his distress. Jongdae bites his lip. He feels a little nervous bringing it up, but he doesn’t know how to handle the speech situation.

“Before I’m dismissed,” Jongdae speaks up suddenly, and the Council member’s heads pick up. Jongdae swallows nervously. “…may I bring up a concern?”

Everyone turns to the Grand Master, who pauses in thought. He then nods, “You may.”

“Senator Park brought up a serious concern while I was there. He is supposed to deliver a speech before the Senate later this week,” Jongdae starts very seriously, and he hopes the Council will take the matter seriously, even if it is political. “The speech is for a bill designed to promote funds for the War effort.”

Understanding falls upon the Council as they nods their heads. The Jedi Order is a part of the War under the control of the Government. The Council knows very well that the War recently has been turned away from their favor. Eko has regained strength in their weaponry and ships from Silo’s allies, which leaves Government allied planets as targets. The Government needs more strength in order to defeat Eko’s new weapons, but they do not have enough soldiers to defend all their allies. They either spread themselves too thin or lose allies.

This bill would help immensely, and Chanyeol is the Senator who will address the controversial bill. He was appointed to deliver a speech since it is very good at convincing.

“However, now that the Senator is ill, he’s been ordered to not interact with anyone who is susceptible to his illness,” Jongdae states. “He will not be able to deliver his speech, and he’s concerned that the bill will be pushed back further until it’s too late.”

The grave situation falls upon the Council’s ears. Jongdae hopes that Council will look past the politics of the situation and really look at the situation as a whole. The bill will bring for funds to fight for the peace that Jedi want to accomplish.

“This makes for a complicated situation,” The Grand Master hums thoughtfully, rubbing his chin. He looks to the Jedi. “There’s no other Senator to take his place?”

“According to Senator Park, the Senate will not listen to anyone but him,” Jongdae reports, looking to the other Council members. “He’s very well respected since he lives in his Father’s legacy.”

The other members are hushed in a silence. Jongdae can see them contemplating the situation, but it doesn’t look very good. Jongdae feared something like this would happen, but he is powerless to do anything but retaliate.

“Please,” Jongdae begs. It throws the Council off their guard. “If we do nothing, more innocent people will be killed.”

The Grand Master seems to not like Jongdae’s outburst, because he’s now looking at Jongdae with stern eyes. His mouth forms a frown. “We know the severity of the situation, young Jedi. You do not need to push your emotions into the situation, otherwise you’ll act hastily.”

Jongdae immediately bows his head in embarrassment. He hasn’t had the Grand Master’s full blown disapproval before, and being on this end was not fun.

He grunts, “You’re dismissed.”

Jongdae can only walk away with his head dug into his chest with shame. He even walks past Baekhyun, who quickly catches up to Jongdae and immediately takes note of his sad eyes. Baekhyun pushes his hands out and stops Jongdae in his tracks.

“What happened?” Baekhyun asks sternly, eyes searching wildly across Jongdae’s face. He lets the story spill easily from his lips because Baekhyun looks like the most trustworthy person at this point. The other doesn’t say much during Jongdae’s story, but he does rub soothing circles in Jongdae’s shoulder.

Jongdae lifts his head from his hands, “I just don’t know what to do.”

Baekhyun sighs solemnly next to Jongdae, touching him for comfort. He says quietly, “It’s out of our control.”

-

In the next day, Jongdae gets a transmission from Naboo. He exits his training a little early and takes the holographic message. A little blueish Chanyeol sitting in a chair projects from Jongdae’s communication link, and Jongdae smiles softly.

“Hi, Chanyeol,” Jongdae says. “I can’t tell if you look better or not.”

“Better than worse,” Chanyeol laughs, but it easily falls into a cough. He excuses himself for a moment and then comes back wheezing. “I have an idea. Do you have a minute?”

“Sure, I have more than a minute,” Jongdae says, easily resting into a seat.

“Last night, an idea came to me. I don’t know if it was a fever dream or not, but I think it might be crazy enough to work,” Chanyeol sounds excited, and Jongdae can only stand on guard. Some of Chanyeol’s ideas are a little out of whack, and this one might live up to the expectation. “Someone else will deliver my speech.”

Jongdae snorts, “And where’s the crazy part?”

“I’m getting to that,” Chanyeol pouts and then spins in his chair. “I can’t just get any one to deliver my speech. No Senator is going to listen to anyone without my reputation. But, if there was another Naboo representative with highly regarded parents and a noble status, they might just listen.”

Jongdae furrows his brow, “I don’t understand.”

“Really? Really? Do I have to spell it out for you?” Chanyeol groans, and then goes soft in his chair. He lists off things on his fingers. “Let’s see. This person is originally from Naboo. Their father was a noble General and mother is a good natured figure in her town. And they just happen to be close with me”

Jongdae frowns. He can feel the sinking feeling drop slowly through his body. He doesn’t respond because he doesn’t want to acknowledge it.

But it’s there, finally dropping deep dread inside Jongdae.

“I can’t,” Jongdae almost whispers. He’s too stunned about the subject that any further movement makes Jongdae’s stomach ache.

Chanyeol scoffs, “What do you mean you can’t? You’re the most qualified person!”

Jongdae shakes his head sadly. “Jedi can’t get involved with politics.”

“What a lousy excuse,” Chanyeol mutters with disappointment. “I’m trying to save people!”

“Believe me, I know you are. And I would definitely agree to do it, but I don’t want to get my hopes up. I doubt it will ever get approved by the Council,” Jongdae says, deflating at every word.

Chanyeol laughs haughtily, “Don’t you worry. I’ll talk to the Council myself.”

“Don’t,” Jongdae suddenly pleads. He’s feeling overwhelmingly anxious. “They’ll know you talked to me, and it will be over. I’m already in enough trouble as it is.”

Chanyeol coughs, but then comes back quickly with a hitter, “Since when have you been afraid of getting in trouble?”

Jongdae has to stop himself before he acts irrationally. He sighs, defeat in his throat suppressing the fight crawling up. Chanyeol knows him well, but he pushes Jongdae’s moral boundaries far. Jongdae chose the Jedi lifestyle when he had been selected at a young age. He gives his life for his work, even if that means to sacrifice some of his personal beliefs. He’s been taught that his emotions will be his downfall, just as history has told. This was a no brainer. Jongdae wouldn’t plead for this particular subject any longer.

Jongdae shakes his head solemnly, “I don’t want to be involved.”

“Fine,” Chanyeol sighs. He looks miserable, and it isn’t just because of his illness. “I will talk to the Council, but I won’t mention any talk with you. I’ll deny it if they ask.”

Jongdae nods, “Thank you.”

Chanyeol’s holographic image blips out of the air as the connection terminates. Jongdae has the burning sensation in his stomach, but he has to flush it out. There’s nothing more he could do.

-

The next day, Jongdae returns to his studies. He works diligently in the library, reading up of the new strategies General Master Namjoon Kim had successfully tested on an Outer Rim attack. News reports filed in that his fleet successfully took down an Eko ship, but it’s been a losing battle. Namjoon lost more than half of his crew and ships. Meanwhile, simultaneous attacks happened on another corner of the Outer Rim territories.

Jongdae buries his head sadly into the news reports flickering by his device. He feels guilt raging in his stomach again, but it’s a hopeless guilt. There’s nothing he can do within the Jedi name other than read up on the endless number of attacks and pray that the good will triumph in salvation.

Suddenly, Jongdae’s comm lights up and a voice crackles over. “Jedi Jongdae Kim, you are summoned to the council room.”

Jongdae lifts his body from the library’s table slowly, his burrowing thoughts sitting heavy on him. Jongdae tries his hardest to leave those thoughts behind in the library. Each step he takes toward the council room makes it easier to release them, and soon, his eyes look onward.

When he enters the council room, the expected on looking council members are not present. It’s very empty, and it’s slightly unsettling. Jongdae inches carefully up into the center, and calls out cautiously, “Hello?”

Silence meets him. Jongdae’s getting nervous, but he doesn’t sense any dangerous force. He looks around the room cautiously, stepping timidly around the circle of the room. In the corner of the room, he notices a circular disc with a blue light source blinking furiously at him. Jongdae approaches carefully, and presses a button.

Instantly, a blue holographic form of Master Junmyeon materializes before him. He has a pleasant smile on his face and begins speaking, “Hello Jongdae. I’m sorry that I cannot be here in person to deliver this message to you, but don’t undermine its importance. You have a mission in the Capital. Come alone. I will have further instructions for you once you arrive. Good luck.”

And there Junmyeon goes, blipping out of existence. Jongdae is a little struck by the lack of information, but he understands that he must go if there is a mission. He turns quickly on his heel and heads for the hangar to deploy a fighter.

Jongdae flies out to Chandrila, mind focused on the mission. It doesn’t take long to be cleared for landing and to land on the Capital’s dock station right alongside the bay. When Jongdae exists, he can feel the sea wind whipping against face, and the dark sky makes the base look dismal. A couple of Capital guards nod to the Jedi, and him inside the base. Jongdae is a little suspicious of the guards being so quiet, but it disappears once a dock worker smiles to the Jedi.

“Welcome. Would you like your ship pulled inside the base? A nasty storm is coming through,” the dock worker points to the fighter that’s slowly scraping towards the edge of the bay from the harsh storm winds.

Jongdae gives a tight smile, “That would be helpful, thank you.”

The guards continue to bring Jongdae more into the City. Jongdae wants to ask where they are taking him, but he’s hesitant. He just opts to continue and observe his surroundings. Hanna City, the Capital for the Senate for the second time in centuries, looks unusually dismal because of the storm. Usually, it is blossoming with flora and lively markets. The Capital square bustles with its people, but now closes its doors quickly before the storm hits.

The guards take Jongdae into the Capital building, one that’s a skyscraper amongst the City. They turn into the elevator, and Jongdae is left between the two giant guards. The elevator stops at one of the highest floors and opens to a grand hall. The guards continue down to a room, open its doors, and leave Jongdae to himself in the lavish room.

Jongdae’s eyes scan the room. It’s beautifully furnished, with maroon and gold warm colors. There’s pillows and trinkets, and a great balcony at the edge of the room. Jongdae makes a step towards it, but then hears the door open once more. Jongdae turns to see Master Junmyeon, and a tiny bit of fear is lifted from him.

“I’m glad you made it safely here. The storm is getting dangerously close,” Junmyeon says, eyes darting at the open balcony and the whipping flag right outside.

“Why am I here, exactly?” Jongdae finally asks, straight to the point. Junmyeon doesn’t let his smile falter.

“The Council was in a commotion about your concerns from the other day. We’ve come to an agreement, and have taken the Naboo Senator’s suggestion,” Master Junmyeon is talking around the idea, and Jongdae feels a bubble of frustration.

“Just say it, Master. Don’t try to hide it,” Jongdae says strongly. Junmyeon, instead, goes to sit on the lavish chair. Jongdae feels the frustration in his throat, “Master.”

Junmyeon presses a kind smile on his lips as he sips the drink on the table. He says, “You should rest. You’ll need the strength to convince the Senate with your speech.”

Realization hits Jongdae like a brick wall. He’s stunned, immobilized by the confession. He finds it a little hard to breathe.

“No,” Jongdae finds the strength to retaliate. Junmyeon just raises a brow, and Jongdae swallows. “The Grand Master did not want me involved. We aren’t supposed to get involved with the politics of the Galaxy.”

Junmyeon hums with disapproval, swirling his glass. His focus is on the drink slowly gaining up the sides. He asks, “Why did you come to Chandrila?”

Jongdae pauses, unsure of where this was going. “It was your order.”

Junmyeon reverts to using his Force to swirl his glass instead, lowering his hands to fold them into his lap. The glass swirls to its own accord. He speaks lowly, “You’re smart, Jongdae. You know of the Jedi ban in the Capital. My order is contradictory to many rules here, but you obeyed anyway.”

Jongdae is silent, feeling the berating nature of this conversation. The glass is swirling faster and faster, and the Master sternly looks at Jongdae. His words are heavy, “And you will obey this order too.”

Jongdae looks to the floor, his mind swirling with thoughts and his moral sense wildly crying. He feels as if he’s being pulled in many directions. He wants to fight for the War’s end, but he has his obligations as a peace keeper to not be involved. Yet, here he is, rules of the Galaxy tossed to the side.

“You won’t be in trouble, Jongdae,” Junmyeon says quietly, his natural passive smile back on his face. Jongdae feels like Junmyeon raked his inner thoughts. “Everyone thinks that you’re a Representative from Naboo. You’ll play your part for these upcoming days, and then it will be done.”

Jongdae feels skepticism crawling up his throat, “What if someone finds out?”

“It will not happen,” the Master says confidently. Jongdae can see pity on the Master’s face. “You will have some help. Some Jedi Knights will be coming shortly as your hands and Senator Park will be calling in to help you with the speech.”

Jongdae furrows his brows, “You will not be staying?”

Junmyeon grimaces, a little embarrassed, “I’m afraid that I’m too well known amongst the Senators.”

Jongdae wanted to ask how the Master got onto this planet, but it was obvious that the Master was not supposed to be there. Junmyeon gives a quick farewell, and Jongdae is left inside the lavish room in silence. A strike of lightning crackles against the sudden thunderous downpour. The wind picks up severely, and rushes inside the room. Jongdae almost uses his Force to close the doors, but lowers his hands to manually shut them.

Jongdae sighs. There isn’t much that complaining will do. This is his mission to complete, and the War efforts will be determined based on this speech and the votes. It’s his duty to cast Chanyeol’s voice to the other Senators. He knows his diplomacy training will do him well.

As soon as the thought passes, Jongdae’s comm lights up. He accepts the call, and suddenly Chanyeol’s figure, ridden in a bed, appears in holographical form. Jongdae smiles, “Now I really can’t tell if you’re getting better or not.”

Chanyeol rolls his eyes and emits a resounding cough over the channel. The form flickers a little. The Senator finally breathes, “I see you’re on Chandrila. Then you know what’s happening.”

“Yes,” Jongdae affirms. “And you’re supposed to help me be more Senator-y.”

Chanyeol laughs, which is great for Jongdae to hear. He just wishes it was under less stressful circumstances. “Alright. I sent you a draft of my speech, but I don’t want you to use it. I want the speech to be genuine. Pull from your own experiences.”

Jongdae breathes out skeptically, “Really? My Jedi experiences? I think that will go over real well.”

“You haven’t been a Jedi your whole life,” Chanyeol says seriously. It makes Jongdae pause before another breath could come. “Talk about your father. Talk about how the War ripped your family apart.”

“Really Chanyeol? Do you think I was that self-aware at the age of four?” Jongdae attempts to refute, but it’s fallen on deaf ears. “Aren’t I supposed to convince them to increase War efforts? This will just tell them that the War is only destructive.”

“Your father tried his best to negotiate when he surrendered. The Galaxy knows that he was a symbol of hope for Naboo, but they don’t understand the pain of those that were close to him –“

Jongdae feels something tightening in his chest. He warns, “Chanyeol.”

But the hologram continues, “We need to convince them to win the War. If we stop and let Eko win –“

“Chanyeol, don’t,” Jongdae feels the pain tightening around his heart. It hurts, it’s fiery hot.

“- then we’ll be in broken homes. We will be slaughtered just like those who laid their arms down in peace. Just think about those who don’t even have the means to fight back. We’ll –“

Jongdae has to press the button to end the call. It’s too painful for him to sit there and take the flashes of painful memories. He feels the burn inside his chest overwhelm him and he just needs a moment to catch his breath. With the thunderous booms and blood rushing in his ears, Jongdae feels overwhelmed in his own sensations. He panics, shuts his eyes and tries the deep, calming breaths.

His body relaxes and gently rolls into exhaustion. It’s not long until sleep overtakes.

-

 

When Baekhyun and Kyungsoo arrive to Chandrila on the freight ship as common passengers, the storm has already passed. They stand close to each other, dressed more formal attire than usual. Baekhyun feels a little stuffy.

“This is so weird,” Baekhyun says out loud, maybe a little too loud, as Kyungsoo gives him a stern look. Baekhyun goes on, a little softer. “This is so hardcore. I’ve never been disguised in a place that bans Jedi.”

“If you say it any louder, we’ll be caught,” Kyungsoo whispers harshly, which promptly shuts Baekhyun’s next thought down. The turbulence hits when they touch Chandrila’s atmosphere, and they both hold onto the ship to prepare for the landing. The people around them look like all common people, and there’s only one guard that Kyungsoo has been steadily stalking after. Otherwise, their ship ride to the Capital was without setbacks.

Both young Knights head off the platform and take in the beautiful fresh air of Chandrila. Baekhyun exclaims, “Ah, isn’t this nice? The fresh ocean breeze is amazing. And the City must have a beautiful sunrise and sunset.”

Kyungsoo replies automatically, “Yeah.”

They keep walking toward the City, Baekhyun still rattling off compliments to the planet while Kyungsoo encourages him with only grunts in reply. The planet is even more gorgeous once the sun is shining and the city is bustling. The shops are filled with items from across Worlds and people from the Galaxy near and far. Baekhyun waves to a little Nautolan girl with her family, but Kyungsoo quickly pulls Baekhyun along.

Baekhyun huffs, “It’s too bad we can’t visit here.”

Kyungsoo doesn’t say anything, and Baekhyun doesn’t press any longer.

When they head to the Senate building, they have to show their passes to the guards in order to get in. It doesn’t take long until they check into the building and are set in the right direction toward their Senator.

“I wonder who we will be paired with,” Baekhyun whispers to Kyungsoo, who doesn’t return any comments. They are navigating the hallways, rugs leading them to rooms. Baekhyun nudges Kyungsoo, “Hey, what if they pay us for being good? Ah, wouldn’t that be nice. Right, ‘Soo?”

Kyungsoo halts their movement and whispers harshly, “Be quiet.”

Kyungsoo peers at the room that’s to their right. Baekhyun notices that it is like all the other doors that they’ve seen before in the hallway, but this has strange aura coming from it. White wisps seep from the hinges and frame, misty and ominous. Baekhyun has to blink again to make sure it was real.

“What is that?” Baekhyun whispers, trying to peer closer until Kyungsoo’s hand hits him in the chest and blocks him.

“Hush,” Kyungsoo says, a little mystified by the white wisps. He’s concentrating hard on the door, something Baekhyun has seen him do a lot recently. Kyungsoo closes his eyes, and Baekhyun eyes him. Kyungsoo is deep in concentration for a few moments until he finally snaps out of it with a tiny gasp. Baekhyun investigates Kyungsoo only to find a blush across his cheeks and his eyes darted to the ground.

“Let’s go,” Kyungsoo barely manages to get out. He grabs Baekhyun and tugs him by the arm down the hallway.

“What’s in there?” Baekhyun says, but while passing he hears a stifled moan with a woman’s touch, and he suddenly understands. He jokes with a grin, “Sounds like they’re having a good time.”

Baekhyun can’t see Kyungsoo’s face, but he feels the fingers tighten against his wrist and heat rush down. Baekhyun can’t help but tease. Their uality isn’t necessarily open, but Baekhyun knows how others relieve their stress in the middle of the night. The Temple doesn’t explicitly call attention to anything ual, and everything there is hush and private. The Order doesn’t allow long term relationships, but one night stands were never frowned upon. Baekhyun has had his fair share, while Kyungsoo chooses to remain more private.

“Maybe we’ll get rewarded with a good time too?” Baekhyun smirks, and winks at the other Knight. “Ooh, maybe a double team?”

Kyungsoo looks furious at this point, face flushed with embarrassment. He musters up some fight, “Don’t you start –“

But Baekhyun smiles and wiggles his way out of Kyungsoo’s grip, “Only a suggestion.”

Kyungsoo stares at the ground, eyes not daring to look up at Baekhyun in embarrassment. Baekhyun chuckles and nudges the other, “Come on. You said it was 811?”

Kyungsoo nods, face a little less red when Baekhyun continues down the hall and Kyungsoo follows. They are close to the room, and Baekhyun is anxiously awaiting the reveal of the Senator. The details of the mission were simple: Kyungsoo and he would act as hands for the Senator in order to know the results of the voting. Baekhyun liked sneaking around, and he liked the idea of the plan. But, as much as he likes Kyungsoo, he knows he would have more fun if Jongdae were with him.

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo reach the room finally. Kyungsoo gently knocks on the door, and they both hear a soft enter. The door opens and confusion is written on everyone’s face.

“Jongdae?” Baekhyun doesn’t hesitate, while Kyungsoo stands confused. The door opened to reveal their friend dressed in a silk navy blue robe. Jongdae isn’t nearly as surprised at his friend’s arrival by his face, but his eyes widen slightly.

Meanwhile, Kyungsoo’s jaw is almost on the floor.

“Oh, they sent you guys. It makes sense, I guess. You guys are pretty much unknown,” Jongdae says with a perfect little smile on his face. The light casts a shadow on his face that stirs Baekhyun’s interest, and he feels his heart race.

“Where’s the Senator?” Kyungsoo says while Baekhyun still feels strangely in his spot. It’s a little suffocating, but he tries hard to not look weak.

“I am the Senator,” Jongdae says confidently. Kyungsoo visibly gets frustrated and steps forward with heavy steps.

“Don’t joke around,” Kyungsoo says sternly, jabbing Jongdae in the chest. “Since when?”

“Since it’s been my mission, and it’s not yours,” Jongdae retaliates, eyes squinting to look intimidating. It’s not nearly as affective as Kyungsoo’s, Baekhyun can admit. “All you guys have to do is be my hands, that’s all.”

Kyungsoo lays his hands off of Jongdae, but looks still skeptical. Baekhyun is still standing at the entrance in a haze.

“You guys do your job, and I’ll do mine,” Jongdae says while standing. His navy blue robes slide against his body, showing some daring skin across the base of his neck. “I’ll be taking a bath.”

Jongdae exits, the expanse of the robes swirling elegantly behind him as its pooling off of him. He enters the bath adjacent to them when Kyungsoo groans. It snaps Baekhyun out of his trance, and he blinks rapidly.

Kyungsoo sits in Jongdae’s spot and is fuming. He’s got his chin rested on propped up hands, and he’s burrowing a hole into the carpet. “I don’t like this.”

It takes Baekhyun a moment, but he pops back into his step. He slides down next to Kyungsoo and shrugs. “The Council wouldn’t have sent us here if we couldn’t do it. Clearly, we’re the best.”

Kyungsoo gives him a hard stare for a couple of moments, but then exhales loudly. He grumbles, “It’s going to be a long week.”

-

“And we shall overcome.”

Jongdae paces back and forth throughout his suite, speech written on paper in his hands. There’s ships entering in the background with the clear blue sky and chirping birds. It’s peaceful, and Jongdae feels confident with his voice and tremor. Honestly, he’d believe himself.

“Again.”

Jongdae huffs at the tiny blue holographic image of Chanyeol on the table. The Jedi clenches his fists and the speech crunches. They have a pitiful staring contest, and Jongdae blinks first. 

Jongdae gives in and resumes, reading his lines off of the paper, “Our allies – our friends – need our help. We have strength in our loyalties. And we shall overcome –”

“Scratch that.” Chanyeol’s voice crackles through the connection. Jongdae pouts and gives a whine.

“Why? You told me to have a good end. You even approved this one!” Jongdae whines, and plops down on the couch. It’s been four hours from their initial brain storming, and Jongdae hasn’t had a break. It’s been an emotionally draining day. Jongdae feels like he’s poured his heart out and then it back in. Chanyeol tells him to reel in more, but then immediately tells him to be personable. About 2 hours in, Jongdae is feeling the frustration seep in.

“Right, but it feels rushed. You need to add specific examples. Like, the families on Utapau being ripped from their homes.” Chanyeol taps his lips in thought, eyes scanning past. He grimaces. “I think you really should mention your father.”

Jongdae feels his mouth go dry. He stands firm. “For the thousandth time, I can’t.”

“Someone will ask. You have to introduce yourself as his son.”

Jongdae knows that, but he doesn’t like it. The only reason why he was even considered was because of his father’s status. The people of Naboo loved him, and all friendly planets wanted to build their own superior army that General Kim of Naboo had created. Jongdae’s father set a precedent for the Galaxy. And, unfortunately, his untimely death was allegedly caused by a peaceful retreat.

Chanyeol sighs, “Let’s brain storm more, but seriously consider it, Jongdae. Mull over it tonight.”

Jongdae hums in agreement and they continue with their tired brain storming. It’s a couple more hours into it, and Jongdae is exhausted. He’s eaten very little since his nerves are on fire. There’s no escaping this place or job, and the only thing he can do is be extra prepared for the speech. But even the speech is nerve wracking and is taking forever. Jongdae’s patience is wearing thin.

“You can talk about the enemy. Talk about how they don’t play war fairly – they aren’t on our terms, something like that.” Chanyeol sips some tea, and Jongdae wishes he could feel the same warmth. The room is getting chillier by the closing hours. Soon, the sun fades and the warm, youthful colors set into the sea.

Jongdae hears a faint knock on the door and calls out, “Enter.”

Baekhyun appears at the front empty-handed, to Jongdae’s disappointment, and stands pinpoint straight. He whispers gently, “Am I interrupting?”

Jongdae smiles back at his presence. “No, you’re fine. No – not you Chanyeol. Baekhyun is here.”

The blue hologram flickers, and Chanyeol scrunches his nose in disdain, “Gross.”

Baekhyun snorts as he slips next to Jongdae comfortably on the couch, “You too.”

Jongdae feels more comfortable in his seat now with some company. The speech making is purely exhausting and requires too much brain power. Jongdae needs some laughter, or a pause just to make things light again. While Chanyeol is a great friend, the power behind this speech makes their job too serious and they struggle to convey their desperation eloquently. Jongdae just needs to break from the seriousness of life, and Baekhyun’s bright laughter always shines through to him.

Jongdae rolls his head around to get rid of his stiff neck. “Let’s continue.”

“Ah, actually, I think we should call it a day.” The hologram waves again, but Jongdae can see Chanyeol’s poorly hidden smile through crap resolution. Baekhyun grumbles intelligibly at it strangely. Chanyeol stretches, “It’s just nit-picking at this point. Sleep on your thoughts, and tomorrow morning we can do last minute touch ups.”

“Whatever you say,” Jongdae shrugs, but he can feel his stomach squirm in anxiousness. He ends the line, and there’s a beat of silence where Jongdae ponders with a hum. “That was strange. We were doing fine, and when you show up he wants to call it a night. Are you two doing something?”

Baekhyun scoffs at the notion, but his skin betrays him with a blush on his nose. There’s nothing more said, mainly because Jongdae is too tired to argue this late of night. Baekhyun perks up, and he’s got this concerned look in his eyes that Jongdae wants to shake off him. The Jedi gets up from the couch and stands tall, “Are you alright? I can make you something.”

Jongdae isn’t really sure why Baekhyun is acting so stiffly, but he obliges. Jongdae smiles warmly, “A tea would be great.”

Jongdae isn’t sure if Baekhyun really knows how to make tea, but the other turns on his heel and accepts the challenge anyway. Jongdae almost gets up to help him, but he decides to watch carefully from a distance. Jongdae chuckles, “Need any help?”

“No,” Baekhyun squeaks a little too quickly, but Jongdae doesn’t mind. He appreciates the effort and all that comes with Baekhyun’s will. He’s a kind soul, and not many get to see it. Baekhyun tries hard to be liked, and, while he is generally charismatic, Jongdae see’s when Baekhyun is at his low. He’s shy and aims to please. He’s very doting, and it’s actually very sweet.

Baekhyun returns with the quickly steeped tea with a quick haughty grin, “It’s a one of a kind flavor from the Byun collection.”

“Then I’ll throw it away,” Jongdae jokes, and turns over a smile of his own. He takes the cup with grace and sips it gingerly. It warms his throat, steam filling his belly and warming his innards. He hums, “It’s great. Thank you.”

Jongdae can see a faint blush peek from Baekhyun’s cheeks, but the other Jedi turns away to the balcony too quickly for Jongdae to comment on. He’s hurried, “You’ll get a cold if you have this balcony open.”

Jongdae sips his tea again and watches Baekhyun latch the doors. “Since when have you been so worried about my health?”

“Since I was assigned to be your caregiver for the mission.”

Baekhyun returns from securing the doors and windows, all drafts put to rest. He’s tired. Jongdae can tell by the way Baekhyun’s eyelids droop. Jongdae isn’t sure what he was doing all day, but it seems to have taken a toll on Baekhyun. The poor guy is melting into the couch.

“Where’s Kyungsoo?” Jongdae asks, tea settled on the table.

Baekhyun concentrates on the ceiling until the thought pops in his head and realization spreads across his face. “He went to get your outfit for tomorrow. It just arrived.”

Jongdae breathes through his nose. A nervous bubble gurgles in his stomach and it’s not pleasant. Reality is setting in. Tomorrow is the day of reckoning, and it’s all on him.

“Are you nervous?”

Jongdae breathes slower this time, and he can feel his fists being squeezed painfully as the nerves wreck him. Now Baekhyun’s concerned face doesn’t look so out of place.

Jongdae blinks and stares at his feet. His lips twist in a concerned way, “Yeah, more than my Gathering, if you can believe that.”

Baekhyun is silent, and that usually means he doesn’t know what to say. Jongdae breathes out a held breath. “I just feel like the Galaxy’s fate is on my shoulders. That’s a lot of pressure, and I’m way too skinny to hold all that!”

Jongdae jokes, but it’s stiff and a little uncomfortable. There’s silence between them. Jongdae doesn’t want to look, but Baekhyun’s face is probably reading into everything too much and all at once. That’s the thing about Baekhyun, he always leaves his face to the open.

“But you can’t mess up. That’s impossible. You just don’t mess up.”

Jongdae raises his head, stares at Baekhyun like he’s a lunatic. Baekhyun blinks and then shrinks back, “I think I said that wrong.”

Jongdae waits for something, but it doesn’t come easy. Baekhyun looks like a wet noodle. Jongdae sighs tiredly, “I can mess up. I’m not a Senator like Chanyeol.”

Baekhyun’s eyes light up suddenly, “But you’re a person living in this Galaxy. You have a really great gift to empathize with people. All you have to do is just voice the concerns of the people who need help. You know their pain, you’ve been there. People loved to be heard.”

Jongdae doesn’t know what to do with the lush compliments, so he just hums and retires. The nerves are like waves wrecking away at his inner shoreline. They come and go, and there’s no stopping their peak and crashes. Baekhyun’s flattering does make other giddy bubbles, but it provides little relief. All Jongdae wants to do is sleep because maybe his mind will ease.

“I should get some sleep,” Jongdae rises from the couch, his long robes from the Capital pooling silk threads at his feet. Jongdae pats Baekhyun’s cheek lightly, no harmful intentions within it. It catches Baekhyun’s attention, and his eyes flit up. They are wide, curious, with a sparkle of hesitation and a little bit of bravery. “You should too.”

Jongdae’s hand slips away, and he retires for the night. His mind is not so restless after all, and he slips into a warm, comfortable sleep.

-

Baekhyun is awoken by a flick on his nose and radiant sunlight hitting his face. There’s a splash of red on the back of his eyelids and sears into him once he blinks his eyes open. He’s curled into another couch in a somewhat awkward position, and his legs are jumbled in a mess. He blinks around. The blinds are open all the way, pouring in delicious Capital sunlight. As much as it is beautiful, it’s still a bolt of death to Baekhyun’s eyes.

“Get up,” Kyungsoo’s stern voice cuts through, and Baekhyun groans into a stretch. Mornings have never been so painful. Baekhyun stretches his mouth wide into a yawn and then he tastes his own mouth to find the disgusting morning breath.

“There’s a debriefing for the servants on the lower level that’s mandatory.”

Baekhyun can feel his eyes slip shut again because his blanket is really comfy. Meetings are not comfy, therefore, Baekhyun doesn’t want to leave.

“The guards are persistent,” Kyungsoo presses. Baekhyun should know better, especially after knowing for Kyungsoo for years, but this couch is really comfy.

Baekhyun smacks his lips, eyes still closed waiting for sleep. “Just do some mind trick, and let me sleep.”

It’s maybe two seconds later, and two seconds of regret, and Baekhyun feels his blanket fling off him and his body is hoisted in the air. Baekhyun blinks and his body is constricted and floating above the ground. Some would say it’s magic, but to Baekhyun it’s just a normal day of being with Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo drags Baekhyun off the couch by the Force, and then grabs him physically just to drag him across the floor. Baekhyun yelps when his knees scrape across the floor, but Kyungsoo still drags him. Eventually, Baekhyun just gives up because Kyungsoo will never give in.

In the elevator, Kyungsoo finally releases the back of Baekhyun’s shirt. Baekhyun groans, neck stiff and body aching for more sleep. He feels like he’s been tossed into a wrestling match, and he doesn’t appreciate it.

“You look like a mess,” Kyungsoo comments swiftly, his eyes concentrated on the wrinkling shirt and Baekhyun’s hair.

Baekhyun huffs, “Well, you dragged me out of bed. So, yeah, I’m going to look like I just woke up. Thanks, .”

Kyungsoo’s jaw tightens, and he lets out a hefty sigh. Through all the young Jedi Knights, Kyungsoo is by far the most mature in shutting the hell up, but he still has his bitter moments. Baekhyun, on the other hand, doesn’t know when to quit.

Kyungsoo strips off his new black jacket and tosses it to Baekhyun. He’s stiff, and doesn’t look Baekhyun in the eye. “Wear this, you’ll look more decent. And fix your hair.”

Baekhyun slips the jacket on with a grin and jostles his hair that doesn’t scream bedhead. The elevator opens and they step into a bustling lecture room sporting hundreds of people of different races. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun slip into two neighboring seats and silently watch the theatre stage. A holographic counsel sits in between real presenters, and extra security appears out from the edges when Baekhyun finally observes.

“This doesn’t look good,” Baekhyun whispers to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo doesn’t acknowledge, but silently continues watching.

“Hello all assistants and servants alike for coming to this early meeting. We appreciate all the work you do for our Senators, and we would like to reach out for your assistance in one more task,” The current presenter grins, bringing forth a guard who stands tall and statuesque. “We need your cooperation with our enforcement. This is a time of war, and we all need to be compliant and vigilant.”

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo eye each other for a second as the crowd turns to whispers. Concern is in their eyes, but they mask it with blank features. This isn’t good for them, being Jedi on an exclusively no-Jedi planet. Even now, there could be potential for terrorists also hiding within the group.

“You are dismissed. Enjoy the Senate.”

The crowd disperses, and Kyungsoo and Baekhyun are now hypervigilant of the increased amount of guards on each floor, guarding most exits and entrances. Once in a small elevator, Baekhyun lets out a terrible sigh, “This day just gets worse and worse.”

Kyungsoo narrows his brows, “And what made this day already worse?”

“Ah, nothing,” Baekhyun spits, but he’s blushing madly at Kyungsoo’s narrow eyes. “You know, Jongdae being the boss of us and all. That’s dumb.”

The silence wraps around them and Baekhyun gets increasingly antsy by the second. His lie is weak, and he’s pretty sure Kyungsoo knows it. But Kyungsoo says nothing, his internals already deciding that Baekhyun’s excuse is weak and there’s underlying tones – Baekhyun is sure that’s how Kyungsoo works. He’s very insightful after all.

The elevator doors open and Kyungsoo comments, “Be a convincing servant for Jongdae, for all our sake.”

Baekhyun blinks, “What do you mean? Where are you going?”

Kyungsoo pauses in his step in the other direction and confidently stands broad shouldered, like a solider. He coldly replies, “I have other orders. Stick to yours.”

As Kyungsoo departs from Baekhyun, the other feels the breath get knocked right out of his lungs. He tightens up. He hasn’t felt this anxious in ages, and he isn’t entirely sure why he’s feeling this way. Sure, the nerves of the security had his blood rushing, but even the night before had him in a sweat. Even talking to Jongdae, exhausted by the day, had a spell of nerves rattling in him.

His mission has pressing matters though, and his body follows suit even when his mind wanders. He grasps the door handle and knocks. A soft enter calls from within and Baekhyun’s fingers itch when then press the door forward.

What Baekhyun sees when he enters is something indescribable, so this much couldn’t even explain the rush of emotions that gloss over his brain. The silhouette of a side profile at the balcony’s edge, warm Chandrila sun glowing into the space, gently teeters. The uniform is fit snugly at the waist, and covers the body well, unlike a robe that hides everyone’s features. It’s dashing amongst the natural beauty of the planet, mocking it with the tiniest smile.

The figure blinks, turns with a gentle smile pursed on its lips. Suddenly, the fantastical scene warms into recognizable features, and Baekhyun feels faint. He really needs to get a hold of himself.

 “Are you alright?” Jongdae blinks with concern and steps forward out of the shadow. Baekhyun instantly waves him off, but his eyes cast downward in embarrassment.

“It’s just an early morning,” Baekhyun lies, and braves himself for another glance. Jongdae still looks faintly concerned. Baekhyun braves a smile. “You’re going to upstage me.”

And Jongdae breaks into the little laugh that turns into the beaming bolt of a smile that he’s been gifted with. He does a little spin and wipes down the front of his navy suit, the creases sharp and lined with white stripes at the end sleeves. The golden tassels shimmer in the day break.

“Very old fashion,” Baekhyun comments, jabbing him with wit. Jongdae returns with a smile and flicks his wrist at the closet door. It opens with Force behind it and reveals a navy poncho with white trousers and shirt.

“And that’s for you,” Jongdae bites back with a grin. “It’s custom for Naboo servants to be formal as well.”

“Great,” Baekhyun draws out as he begins to undress himself from his heavy robes. He pulls the outfit out and groans. It’s his size, a perfect match. He swears he’ll get back at Kyungsoo for ordering such a thing.

Jongdae turns back to his room as Baekhyun changes into the outfit. It’s snug but pressed cleanly and the poncho is light on his shoulders. His weapon is even hidden underneath the fabric. Jongdae returns, hair done and skin looking dewy.

Jongdae tussles with his dark strands in a mirror, and smooths the sides with gentle fingers. Baekhyun presses forward, even when his heart is suddenly hammering in his chest. He’s hesitant, but he rests a hand on Jongdae’s shoulder.

“You look fine,” Baekhyun whispers with reassurance. Jongdae sighs and tucks a strand behind his ears to signal his final touch. Baekhyun loses his breath suddenly. Up close, Jongdae is just radiating a beauty that Baekhyun has only dreamed of. It’s an odd feeling, Baekhyun thinks, because his friend is so close and he’s never looked so remarkably dashing before. Has he always been this way?

Jongdae has this little smile on his lips, eyes glowing warmly. His fingers wrap around Baekhyun’s forearm and squeezes gently. He hums, “You as well.”

Baekhyun doesn’t want to cause a scene, but his skin is on fire and he can’t shake the tension building in his bones. He jerks his arm back slightly, and Jongdae releases his vine like fingers that wrapped so sweetly around Baekhyun. Jongdae doesn’t even flinch. “I think it’s time now?”

“Yes, finally,” Baekhyun finally breathes and ushers Jongdae out the door. With the formal attire, everything feels different. Baekhyun can see Jongdae’s posture and gait even change, both dramatic and full of confidence. It’s a curious little act, and even though Baekhyun already knows what Jongdae’s real-self entails, he still wants to open Jongdae up and touch all his secrets. There’s a little fire of want in his belly, and it’s catching in his throat.

The guards shuffle out of the way for them to enter. Once in silence together, Jongdae peers over and starts a small smile. Baekhyun feels a hand slide at his back and shivers respond.

“You seem more nervous about this than I am,” Jongdae jokes.

“It’s high risk, that’s all,” Baekhyun almost hiccups when the hand makes its way over to soothe his shoulder.

Jongdae laughs, doubling over with a grin, “You’re afraid of the risk? Do you – do you know what you’re saying?”

Baekhyun is infected with the laugh and it eases the tension. He can actually bravely look the other in the eye, even if there’s a prick of uncertainty. “I know, I know. Stop laughing at me, you idiot.”

“Sorry,” Jongdae chuckles, wiping some tears away. “But thank you. I needed a laugh.”

There’s silence between them, and Baekhyun feels the uncomfortableness sneaking up his core. He breaks it, “Are you ready for this?”

“I am, even if I think I’m not,” Jongdae pauses for the elevator to open its doors. The beautiful expanse of the Senate theatre awaits them, a giant dome arranged with floating floor seats for each representative are dressed in chrome. Many Senators are already piling into their chambers with their company. The clock count down is reaching its limit.

Jongdae catches Baekhyun’s wrist and pulls him away, “It’s reassuring to know that you’ll be behind me today.”

Jongdae’s grandiose grin just knocks the wind out of Baekhyun, and he can feel his lifeless body being dragged down to their chamber under representative of Naboo. There’s not much else Baekhyun can feel and he thinks he might be sick. It must be sickness, nothing else could make him so nauseous and giddy and the same time. 

The time comes. Baekhyun stands in the back of the chamber and waits. Jongdae is poised next to him, solid as a statue. He’s wringing his hands together tightly, eyes closed as he breathes. Baekhyun can sense a little discomfort from the other, but it quickly passes once the floor opens and the House Speaker commences the discussion.

“Welcome all Senators, representatives, assistants, and those watching to this session. Today’s agenda is marked as Bill 9270-A, the first initiative in increasing our budget for war efforts,” The House Speaker projects, filling the dome. Little cameras follow his every room as his chrome seat enters the middle. “The floor will open with the drafter of the bill and then arguments from both sides will commence.”

Baekhyun feels a nudge at his fingertips and glances down to see Jongdae’s hand knocking. Baekhyun does reach for it secretly, linking their hands. He can feel both of their hearts hammering in their chests, both crying out for help.  Baekhyun wants to comfort, wants to hold Jongdae for dear life and never let go, wants to take him away and give him everything –

Don’t be nervous.

Baekhyun isn’t sure who sends the message through their link, but the whisper echoes in his mind and entrances him. Jongdae slips away from the hand with a generous squeeze and walks forward towards the edge of his chrome chamber, waiting for his introduction. He’s serious, still like water.

“We will start with proponents of the Bill. The Senator of Naboo will be addressing us,” The House Speaker nods toward the direction of the Naboo court. “Take it away.”

Baekhyun can see Jongdae’s shoulders go rigid, and then finally release a breath. The anchor releases, and soon they both are floating higher and higher, drawn to the middle. It’s so much quieter towards the middle, celestial and cloud like. A heaven amongst the subjects. Baekhyun even feels beneath Jongdae, with his powerful stance and divine breaths.

Jongdae begins with authority in his tone, “Thank you, Speaker. I am representing Naboo per Senator Park’s request. Before my words are tossed away by those who do not know me, let me introduce myself and my qualifications.”

He breathes, as if the wind gives him force. “I am the son of the late General Inchun Kim of Naboo. I’m speaking for him, for Senator Park, and for the people who do not have a voice.”

The cameras are spinning around him, and gasps are drawn toward the speaker. Baekhyun can see some getting even more intrigued, scoping Jongdae’s face and instantly recognizing the resemblance to the late General.

“This Bill for further funding is to protect those who do not have armies as large as those on the Capital. It’s for our allies who have been subjected to multiple attacks and are on the brink of surrender or changed alliances. It’s for the colonies who cannot defend themselves any longer and may be killed.”

Baekhyun can’t help but watch Jongdae’s lips move. It’s like a beautiful instrument, pursing and trembling. He watches respectfully, sometimes slipping his eyes closed to concentrate on his friend’s heart. It was always erratic at Council meetings, but here it has mellowed. His voice still trembles, his blood pressure is rising slightly, but his heart is calm without any fervor. 

“Those on the outskirts know this all too well. Gand has been ravaged these past years with nowhere else to go. The Eko Regime has taken many of their people as slaves for slaughter, and yet we sit here still arguing over money.”

He is a God, Baekhyun thinks, standing in his own thoughts. It passes by without any provocation, and Baekhyun feels hot all of a sudden. He might have to sit down. Jongdae’s presence, dashing in uniform and strong in his feelings, have Baekhyun questioning all the thoughts that seem to bubble out of nowhere. Or, perhaps, they were there all along. He desperately hopes that Jongdae cannot hear all his projected thoughts through their link.

“Our enemies do not play as we do. They are not noble in their cause, and they will only destroy and build armies of desperate and broken people. My father…”

Jongdae pauses, stiffening, and Baekhyun can hear a hiccup of a cry. Baekhyun almost gets up, but a calm whisper reassures him, I’m okay.

Jongdae clears his throat, “My father, as mighty and brave as he is, surrendered because he could no longer fight. Eight years of blood shed every day, even with resources plentiful, he still could not continue. After agreeing to a peaceful surrender to the Eko Regime, he was executed by those extremists.”

There are a few silent nods, some held in prayer. War has brought destruction to many homes, and many have felt the aftershocks.

“If we are to defeat these terrorists who slaughter our people for games, we need to bury our own selfish needs. Please hear the cries of your brothers and sisters. Our allies – our friends – need our help. We have strength in our loyalties. And we shall overcome!”

From there, Baekhyun knew what these feelings curled around his heart were made of. It frightened him. The future of their world, his own, would potentially cease to exist. His desires, his wants, were pulsating in time with his own thoughts. It’s far too late to separate, for now he can’t even distinguish between them.

There’s a resounding applause around, echoing the chamber and roaring louder than Baekhyun’s heartbeat. Jongdae beams back at Baekhyun with eyes shining through gentle tears. Their chamber interlocks back into its hub and they are surrounded by darkness again. Jongdae instantly hugs Baekhyun tightly, and the other feels a flush running down his body. It’s hot and dangerous, and something he knows he shouldn’t play with. But it’s so inviting, and it’s Jongdae.

There’s only the guilt inside him that’s holding him back from his deep-rooted desires.


A/N: Some more backstory for Jongdae and an a little sneak peak into what Chanyeol does as a Senator~ ... also, we get a little sneaky Kyungsoo and a love sick Baekhyun. <3

ALSO HOORAY FOR THE LONGEST CHAPTER SO FAR ~10K!!

+Just a fun fact regarding Baekhyun & Kyungsoo's talk about : According to the canon, Jedi do not have to be celibate (even though I totally thought they were ^^'). They can have , but they can't form attachments??? Rude. So, I'll just say that is a recreational activity, or a stress reliever for the Jedi. lmao

This is the end of the second episode! What do you think is in store for our boys now? Come back next week for the third episode :D