Chp 14: The Whole Truth

Vincit Qui Se Vincit

--

 

These Council visits never get any easier, Kyungsoo thinks to himself as he steps into the room per request. The Council members are all stood, whispers at their lips as they speak. When Kyungsoo enters shyly, some members stop to look at him. Kyungsoo feels nervous under their gazes, even if he repeatedly is called by them. Junmyeon finally breaks the spell with a gentle smile and he guides Kyungsoo over to the members to join their circle.

“I’m glad you’ve come, Kyungsoo. This meeting is very important today,” Junmyeon explains, easing Kyungsoo’s obvious worry. Unfortunately, Kyungsoo it does not do much to help his stomach flip nervously.

At first, the Council came to him with special missions. Kyungsoo was proud to take them on, honored that the Council would think of him to take on special tasks. However, after years of excavating War sites and time stripped away from him, Kyungsoo feels the dread sink in him. He’s conflicted. His loyalty is to the Jedi Order, doing what he must to keep the Balance, but the things he’s done to appease the Council has him nervous.

Am I doing the right thing?

“Everyone, take your seats,” the Grand Master announces, and each member takes their seat. Grand Master Pho sets his eyes gently on Kyungsoo and nods in acknowledgement. “Jedi Do, you may stand next to Master Kim.”

Kyungsoo respectfully turns to his spot and holds his gaze to the doors from which he entered. He feels strange being on the other side of this Council. There’s a part of him that is proud of his accomplishments, as if he’s climbed another rank. And yet, there’s a tiny feeling chipping away at him, telling him that this was all wrong.

“Let him in,” the Grand Master orders to the Temple guards. Kyungsoo stands ramrod straight as he waits with a held breath in anticipation. The guards hold the doors open for the Knight outside, and Kyungsoo now locks eyes with his confused friend. Well, he’s a friend, for now.

Kyungsoo does not give Baekhyun any leeway, instead tightening his jaw. Baekhyun stands still amongst the Council, and Kyungsoo watches the other bite his lip. He’s nervous, Kyungsoo can practically feel his heart beat. That means that the members could too.

“Jedi Knight Baekhyun Byun. Thank you for joining us today,” the Grand Master greets with a somewhat pleasant tone.

Baekhyun bows his head and returns with a pleasant smile to mask the nervous phermones. “Of course, Master.”

The Grand Master accepts his response, albeit with a strained smile. “You’ve been requested before the Council for an update on a report you made. Do you recall the mission on Naboo in which you assisted then Padawan Kim and Do?”

Kyungsoo sees recognition in Baekhyun’s features, and the Knight laughs a little. He smiles, “I do, Master. That was nearly 10 years ago, so you’ll have to forgive me if I am forgetful on some parts.”

“I hope you are not. This is important,” Master Shiik frowns, and Baekhyun instantly swallows his pride back. His charm normally works on most, Kyungsoo knows this personally. However, the contents of this meeting are way too forgone to have Baekhyun charm his way through it.

Baekhyun shuffles on his feet to reposition himself in a straighter manner. His smile wears off and he anticipates the questions. All the Council members look on passively to Baekhyun as the Grand Master starts his interrogation.

“When asked what you had found as a scouting team, you said that you did not find any ships in the air or on the ground. Is that correct?”

Baekhyun blinks. “Yes.”

“And do you recall that I said I was to put out an investigation on the Naboo sites, particularly to find any evidence of Eko Regime’s involvement?” the Grand Master asks. Kyungsoo swallows hard. He remembers. This is how he got involved with special mission trips. His first stop was at Naboo.

“I do, Master,” Baekhyun replies.

“I sent Jedi Do on missions to Naboo to uncover any mysteries behind those attacks through several years.” The Grand Master nods to Kyungsoo and presents the other Knight. “Please, show us your evidence.”

Kyungsoo feels all eyes on him. The Council members have always had special eyes on him, but Kyungsoo feels especially nervous with Baekhyun’s. Kyungsoo has to train himself not to look at Baekhyun in fear that he would do something rash. Instead, he braves a trained face and almost coldly stares off beyond Baekhyun.

“Per request of the Council, I traveled to the Naboo Capital. A team and I excavated the wreckage site over several years.” Kyungsoo swallows, knowing the damning evidence will punch through Baekhyun. He tears his gaze away from Baekhyun and sighs, “We did find several ships grounded amongst wreckage. Many were unmarked, but there were a few scrap pieces deliberately torn from ships that had a mark on it.”

Kyungsoo reveals a hologram that displays a floating piece of shrapnel with a fiery red insignia labeled on it. Baekhyun looks to it with a frown unwavering on his face. In a brief second of a mistake, Kyungsoo locks eyes with Baekhyun. He’s absolutely crushed, Kyungsoo can feel it in the others soul. Kyungsoo can feel betrayal fill in Baekhyun, but there’s nothing the Knight can do. Kyungsoo brought justice to the Order, and there’s a lot of damning evidence against Baekhyun.

“Did you know about these ships, Jedi Byun? Why did you not report on them?” Master Shiik asks, and Baekhyun’s eyes don’t face him directly.

He’s hesitant, “This is just as a shock to me as it is to you. I’m not exactly sure. I know I would have reported them had I found them.”

Kyungsoo feels like it’s a lie, but he doesn’t know for sure. Baekhyun is always good at lying, and there’s always been a funny thing in the back of Kyungsoo’s mind about Baekhyun. Kyungsoo would like to believe that Baekhyun would never lie to the Order, but after all this evidence, he’s suspicious.

Kyungsoo has kept some awful information to himself and away from the Council that makes Baekhyun’s statement even more damning. In Kyungsoo’s investigations, Baekhyun’s tracker was found amongst the rubble of the ships. It was dismantled and crushed by a Force user by the looks of it. The only explanations Kyungsoo has right now are these: either Baekhyun is lying, or someone has been trying to frame him.

“Now, do you recognize this symbol on the shrapnel?” Grand Master Pho asks, gesturing to the hologram.

“I do,” Baekhyun says a little more calmly.

“What is it to you?”

The Council anticipates Baekhyun’s response. He’s strained, “That’s the symbol of the bandit Silo.”

Silo is a well-known villain amongst the stars. He runs the toughest bandit group, and the members stretch across the Galaxy. They are known for their ruthless behavior and disregard for lifeforms. There’s been rumors throughout the years that Silo’s group made deals with Eko in order to build up their weaponry and recruitment. The Government has been trying for years to round up Silo and his bandits, but they are hard to catch. About four years ago, strangely, Silo turned himself in to the Government, and he’s been locked in their facilities ever since. Many saw it as a victory, but Kyungsoo found it to be a little too easy.

Master Shiik hums, “With this information as well as our thorough investigation, we can finally conclude that Silo and the bandits were the perpetrators of this attack. We can act accordingly now.”

“As you know, there has been little activity coming from Silo’s corner since his arrest. However, he has reached out to us for a request,” the Grand Master edges around his words carefully. The Council waits for him to deliver. “Silo has summoned you, Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun swallows and blinks in confusion. He spits out incredulously, “Me? Why me?”

“We are unsure.” The Council looks a little uneasy, and Kyungsoo feels it too. The energy is different in the room. He knows that some members look at Baekhyun with accusations in their mouth, especially if Baekhyun had covered up anything with Silo. And now with Silo’s request for the young Knight, it just seems that it’s not all coincidental.  

The Grand Master continues, “That is why we want you to fulfill his request.”

Baekhyun is terrified, Kyungsoo can feel it emitting from his skin. Kyungsoo is too. He watches as the Knight tries to control his face. He keeps his body rigid and bows his head. He simply replies, “Of course.”

The Grand Master smiles. “Good. There is a ship being prepared for you. You are dismissed.”

Baekhyun gently bows to each Council member, even to Kyungsoo, before turning on his heel and exiting the room. The Council is silent in those moments, breaths heavy and hanging. Kyungsoo feels distant, out of place. He feels oddly suspicious of Baekhyun, but also Kyungsoo feels so much betrayal, and the guilt sinks heavier. His emotions have been swayed.

“Do,” the Grand Master calls, and the young Knight is pulled out of his thoughts. Kyungsoo perks up. “Follow him.”

Kyungsoo nods, and leaves the Council room with yet another secret mission. He feels like that’s all he does these days. He wishes it wasn’t so secretive, but he understands that the situation in troublesome. If word got out, there would be rumors of rogue Jedi. Nothing hurts an organization like bad press.

When Kyungsoo turns down the hall to get to the hangar, he spots his target Baekhyun with Jongdae. Baekhyun’s head hangs low, and Jongdae’s eyes are wide and concerned. They speak in whispers, nothing that Kyungsoo couldn’t pick up with his Force capabilities, but he feels it best to leave them to their own privacy. Kyungsoo feels a terrible pit in his stomach for Jongdae. News of this might tear the two Knights apart, and Kyungsoo knows they are very close.

Kyungsoo presses on to his mission and eyes his tiny ship. He knows he can prepare it for the trip to the prison quickly, so there isn’t a rush. He takes his time checking the engines and wings for any damage. The fuel has been recharged and there aren’t any flickering lights indicating damage. All seems well for takeoff, and now the Knight has to just wait for Baekhyun to enter the bay.

“Kyungsoo!”

The Knight hears his name called from a distance as he heads up the ladder to sit in his pit. He whips his head around to the call and instantly frowns. There, heading straight to him clad in formal attire, was Chanyeol holding a bouquet of white lilies in his hands. Kyungsoo feels the anger bubble up inside him, and the mourning flowers only further resurrect the emotions.

Kyungsoo growls, “I have nothing to say to you.”

He turns away, positioning his body to busy himself with the ship. However, Chanyeol is always insistent to the bitter end. He continues, and still talks to him from below the ladder.

“Kyungsoo, I know this is too late, but I’m sorry. I’m so sorry,” Chanyeol begins, voice calm and trained as if he’s ran this in his head one thousand times. Kyungsoo doesn’t respond, jaw tightening as he cranks the wheel back to inspect the innards.

“I know this won’t undo anything that they did to your Master… but I’m just sorry that I didn’t know about it until now. And I know that isn’t a good excuse,” Chanyeol continues, but his voices wavers. Kyungsoo can feel the countdown to when the Senator will breakdown. It should be any minute now, but he’ll give it some time. “We’re… we’re friends, Soo. And I wasn’t there for you. I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.”

Kyungsoo climbs into the cockpit and feels Chanyeol traveling up the ladder with him. Kyungsoo isn’t bothered by the presence, but it’s getting stale. The apologies just bubble up kind of carelessly, and they lose their meaning each time it’s repeated.

Chanyeol pops alongside Kyungsoo as he’s checking the brakes. Suddenly, the white lilies flashes in front of Kyungsoo’s face and sit neatly on his lap. Kyungsoo frowns deeply, but he doesn’t give Chanyeol any relief.

“I’m trying, Kyungsoo. I really am. I understand your frustration and pain. I’ve lost everyone close to me too, you know. I know this pain,” Chanyeol says sadly, but Kyungsoo doesn’t have time for this. He’s had his time of mourning, and he’s made his mind up about Chanyeol. “I don’t want to lose you too. Please.”

Chanyeol now strains his voice with fire, his hands gripping the side of the ship, “I will do everything in my power to have that son of a locked up. I swear to you.”

Chanyeol knows who’s been behind this, but Kyungsoo has known for a long time and he doesn’t feel the vengeance in his heart like Chanyeol spits out hastily. He gives these promises, but Kyungsoo doesn’t feel them. Right now, Kyungsoo is numb from it all. Death accepted his Master, and Kyungsoo is processing it through his own grief time. All is done, and nothing can be reclaimed from it, not even revenge.

“Kyungsoo, please say something,” Chanyeol begs now, tears rolling down his face and hitting Kyungsoo’s ship. Kyungsoo continues to stare forward, emotionally numb from Chanyeol’s pleas. He’s trying, Kyungsoo can admit, but it’s far too late.

Kyungsoo spots Baekhyun climbing into his ship, and Kyungsoo starts his own. He can hear Chanyeol pleading over and over above the purr. The Knight sends his ceiling down over his body and seals it. Chanyeol hits the side of the ship to get Kyungsoo’s attention, sounds barely hitting the protective glass to get through to him. Kyungsoo ignores again and again, hands now steady at his controls, waiting for Baekhyun’s take off.

The other Knight takes off almost immediately after starting his engines, and it’s time for Kyungsoo to go. Chanyeol is still trying to get through, but Kyungsoo won’t give in. Kyungsoo knows that Chanyeol is determined outside, and he’s probably just a little insane to keep hold of the ship. Kyungsoo grimaces at the white lilies in his lap and takes a deep breath. With regret, Kyungsoo flicks his wrist and gently launches Chanyeol’s body down to the hangar ground with the Force. He’s just enough distance away where Kyungsoo can safely take off without Chanyeol’s interruptions. The screams of the Senator are drowned out by the roar of the engine and Kyungsoo finally takes off.

He lets out a shuddered breath as he leaves the planet and follows Baekhyun to the prison. Before he knows it, his eyes are leaking with tears that water the lilies in his lap.

-

It doesn’t take too long to get to the prison. Kyungsoo carefully follows Baekhyun’s ship somewhat of a distance away so that he doesn’t get detected by Baekhyun’s radar. Baekhyun stays on course for the prison, even when a small part of Kyungsoo thought the other would run for it.

At the prison, Kyungsoo carefully parks and follows Baekhyun to the security hold. Kyungsoo quietly hides behind a corner and spies on the guards. Baekhyun is getting searched for weapons and other contraband by three intergalactic guards. The Jedi gives his lightsaber up easily and receives a special ticket for inside the vault. Kyungsoo knows there are high stakes, but he’s not a General for no reason.

Kyungsoo approaches them quietly. The guards frown at Kyungsoo’s pace and try to stop him. Kyungsoo simply raises his hands, waving them with a chant, “I will let you pass.”

All three guards simultaneously repeat the phrase with a dazed expression. The last guard hands Kyungsoo an orange ticket, and the Jedi snatches it while he waltzes in the high security facility in a cinch.

Kyungsoo follows Baekhyun down the hallways to another entry way where he will be intercepted yet again. Kyungsoo breathes calmly through his nose as he makes his way through the line. He hears Baekhyun say, “I’m here to visit Silo.”

The receptionist nods, marking down Baekhyun’s credentials and exchanges his orange ticket for a green key card. They then guide him to where the meeting location should be, and Baekhyun dejectedly rounds the corner. Kyungsoo is a little nervous for this particular part. There are more guards here than expected, and if the mind trick goes bad, this could turn sour.

Kyungsoo braves a face and approaches the receptionist confidently. He states, “I’m here for Chonta the Hutt.”

The receptionist blinks, and Kyungsoo tightens with worry. The guards look over to him with eyes glued to his form. Kyungsoo fears he’s ruined it all.

“Ah, looks like someone’s trying to bail him out again,” one of the guards sneered. The other laughs, “Oh, it’s okay. We’re just going to see him again next week.”

The receptionist takes down Kyungsoo’s fake credentials and says, “Round the corner.”

He’s handed a green key card, and Kyungsoo breathes easy. He passes the guards and rounds the corner to find no one. Kyungsoo quickly tip toes through the hallway where it leads to several doors, which he doesn’t find Baekhyun in any. Kyungsoo rounds the corner sharply only to retreat back. He sees Baekhyun standing in front of a doorway, staring down the green key card. He looks unsure.

Within the next breath, though, Baekhyun enters the door and it’s locked behind him. Kyungsoo quietly sneaks up to the door too and tries to slide his card in. It rejects it immediately, and Kyungsoo growls with frustration. He’s at a dead end.

-

Baekhyun is absolutely terrified. There’s not one part of his body that isn’t screaming for him to run. He wishes he could. He wishes he could escape this nightmare.

He’s held in a waiting portion until the prisoner comes from the other side. It seems like it’s taking ages. Baekhyun taps his foot in tune with his heartbeat, ramming it hard to the ground steadily. He’s nervous, unsure of what to say. Perhaps it would be best just to be silent and let the criminal do the talking.

After a few moments, the other door opens and a table and chairs wait for him inside. Baekhyun is hesitant to enter the steel grey room, but there is no choice now. His legs shakily take him forward, inch by agonizing inch, until he’s faced with the criminal. He sits in a navy jumper, head hanging back to take in the full view. He’s got a grin spread wide across his face, teeth ready to chew the Jedi up.

Baekhyun stands still in his spot, not even close to the chairs that the bandit sits at. He’s struck by the others presence. The Jedi is in shock. It doesn’t feel real. It shouldn’t be real.

“You showed up,” the bandit Silo says around his grin. He unfolds his arms and gestures to the chair across from him with his calloused hands. “Have a seat.”

His voice is raspy, filled with smoke and a throat full of gravel. He sounds tough, he looks tough. Baekhyun doesn’t want to squirm underneath the bandits gaze, but his body does it unintentionally. Silo’s grin doesn’t fade, instead it mocks him.

Baekhyun stands taller now, confidence surging in him a little. He refuses the seat. Silo gives him a hardened stare now, lifting his arms back across his chest. Baekhyun notes the chains ringing around the criminals wrists for protection. But even with those, Silo doesn’t feel less intimidating. Baekhyun swallows underneath the guys hard stare. It’s hollowed out and filled with a desire that Baekhyun has seen a long time ago. Death strikes ones who disobey, rings in Baekhyun’s head.

“It wasn’t a request,” Silo speaks again with more force behind it. Baekhyun finally relents, scraping the chair across the floor before sitting in it. At eye level with Silo now, Baekhyun can no longer turn back. He’s in the belly of the beast now.

They sit in a silence for a long time. Baekhyun’s mouth is turned into a frown as he stares down Silo. The bandit, however, turns his intimidation into something obscure. He’s got this creepy smile on his face. It’s daunting and makes Baekhyun want to burst.

“Why did you request me?” Baekhyun bravely asks, eyes flashing with a lightness to counteract the darkness of the criminal.

Silo scoffs, tilting his head to make sure Baekhyun was serious. And then an all-star grin settles across his features and mocks Baekhyun. He snorts, “Can’t I see own my son?”

There it is, that dreadful pit Baekhyun feels in his heart. He swallows, trying to keep the secret from regurgitating, but it’s no use. His past has finally caught up to him, the shame he’s tried so long to forget. It’s the harshest truth Baekhyun has refused to swallow for years. It’s been there, stuck in his throat. He knows, deep inside, he is blood of the criminal mastermind, but he forces himself to never truly believe. That is, until evil looks at him dead in the eye, and all he can cry is “father”.

Baekhyun is silent, never giving in to the truth. His father chuckles, letting the raspy tone echo through the padded room. He eyes Baekhyun, and then says softly, “You look just like your mother.”

Baekhyun doesn’t let his guard down, even if the softer, raspier tone is more enticing and familiar. He continues his habitual silence, frowning even. His father doesn’t care.

“She never wanted kids. I did though, I love them. And you were my only, I’ll let you know,” Baekhyun’s father wags his finger to make emphasis. “You were the joy of my life. I remember you climbing into a broken TIE fighter and making such a ruckus. When I asked you what you were doing, you said I wanna be like papa!

Baekhyun knows what his father is doing. It’s a ploy – a tactic that tries to pull the victim in with childhood memories. Baekhyun doesn’t exactly remember those words said, but he does have flashes of his father, and his heart wrenches involuntarily.

“I’d take you everywhere, only because you would whine if I didn’t, you little . You were a pain my sometimes, ya know? But I couldn’t just let you go everywhere. Especially over at Xo – those s like to eat tiny scraps like you. So, when the fire was too hot, I’d have to leave you behind. I would only leave you with the best.” The bandits eyes flash hurt, and Baekhyun can sense his emotions boiling over quickly without an ounce of repression. It feels so similar to Baekhyun’s own natural reaction that it scares him. His father bites with a gravel undertone, “You must know how shocked I was when you were scooped up by another family and not safe on Kamar. Those Jedi kidnapped you.”

Baekhyun knows it’s another lie. While in the bandits care, Baekhyun’s mind was young and impressionable. He could tell when a lie was good or not. The lies that sneak past, convenient and brush by are good, but not good enough. The ones that hit home, when the receptor knows it’s a lie but can’t muster up the courage to call it out, that’s when it’s good. Baekhyun’s done it so many times that it’s hard to keep track all the disappointment he’s left behind. It just hurts to know he’s learned it from the best liar in the Galaxy, his father.

Baekhyun knows he was used as a trading piece. Even though his father declares his undying love for his child, he exploits his love for him. His father used him more than he ever loved him. To him, Baekhyun was just a bargaining chip. He left Baekhyun on Kamar to save himself, not his son.

“When I found out that Jedi took you, I was honestly a little impressed. Isn’t it kind of ironic that such a noble force would just steal babies out of their cribs and call it recruitment?” Silo cackles at it, and Baekhyun feels a little shame creep into his soul.

“At first, I wanted revenge. I even made a bomb for that Temple, but never went through with it. I realized that my time was useful somewhere else. And I knew that you would come home to me, eventually.”

Silo props his head on top of his folded hands and smiles knowingly. Baekhyun squirms, and the bandit stretches the smile further, “It only took me being in a cage for you to come crawling back to me.”

This is the most restrain Baekhyun has ever endured. It’s quite painful to sit so quietly when all the young Knight wants to do is wipe that dirty smirk off his father’s face. Baekhyun knew that he would break eventually, it was inevitable. He also inherited being a snarky chatter box.

He gives the bandit a hardened stare, angry words bubbling from his lips, “At least in this hole, you cannot destroy the peaceful resolution outside, you monster.”

Silo halts the spreading grin, and it recedes rather slowly to a disappointed pout. It’s actually quite chilling to Baekhyun, and it runs down his spine. The maniacal grin was one spectrum of evil, but this gave away the true darkness that Silo holds. A thought passes quickly through Baekhyun’s mind, what darkness am I capable of?

Silo pouts, “I’m disappointed. I didn’t think I raised a naïve boy. I guess I’ll have to thank the Jedi for that.”

Baekhyun swallows hard as Silo continues his dark assault. He breaks into an uncontrollable fit of cackles, laughing darkly at the absurdness. He scoffs, “Peaceful resolution? You’ve still got War out there whether I’m in here or not.”

Just as things were getting intense, Silo slips away from the mold, breaking off into a lazy stretch. He raises his shoulders and cracks his neck as much as he can while being tied down. His voice bounces off the walls in a peppy manner, “It’s actually real nice in here. It’s quiet – gives me time and a place to think. I actually get a lot more done in here than I do out there. And I don’t have to worry about food. It’s not Freddie’s Corner Stop, but at least it’s edible.”

Baekhyun stays silent again. Silo yawns, smacking his lips together obnoxiously. Baekhyun notices that his father added to his tattoo collection, color sneaking past his jumpsuit and onto his neck. Tendrils wrap around his skin and choke him with the permanent ink. It looks absolutely sinister.

“Let’s change the subject to something more interesting. What’s been going on? How’s your boyfriend doing?”

Baekhyun stills, ice prickling at his veins. He sees Silo’s fake laugh and sinister ways seeping from his lips. Silo attempts to blink innocently.

“Oh, what? You didn’t think I knew you were getting some Jedi ? Talia told me. You know her – that Pantoran snob.” Silo rolls his eyes and leans back in his chair. He smiles smugly. “Would you believe it only took a couple hundred credits and some blackmail to get her to rebel against her father? Easy pickings.”

This is the Silo that Baekhyun knows, not the one the Galaxy rumors about. To the public, Silo is just a maniac killer – plain and simple. He’s ruthless and has lackeys all around the Galaxy. His stretch is endless. Everyone thinks he’s just lucky enough to get by.

The truth is that he is one of the greatest masterminds. He feeds the public with a careless attitude, when he’s really in control of everything. He’s cunning and thoughtful in making plans and doing deals. He manipulates them with their deepest desires, whether it be coins, or freedom, or simply an adventure from their sad, mundane excuses of a life. He pulls them in with a playful attitude, but latches onto them with empty promises and mischief handcuffs. Baekhyun wants to lie to himself. Baekhyun had hope that he escaped this Hell, but he knows deep inside that Silo has reaches from each end of the Galaxy. It was inevitable that Silo would catch up to him.

“Anyway, back to the trade you’ve got. What’s his name? Jong…,” Silo clicks his tongue, playing a game to jog his memory. But Baekhyun knows his father too well. He already knows, he just likes to play mind games. Silo snaps his fingers to his frowning son, pointing in declaration. “Jongdae, right? He’s that starlet from Naboo. He’s cute.”

Baekhyun doesn’t like the way this is turning out. His stomach is in knots. He knows that Silo has a lot of informants, but this information isn’t so readily accessible. He would have had to be watching for a long time.

“It’d be a shame if he and I crossed paths.”

Baekhyun’s blood runs cold. The threat is something Baekhyun would usually ignore, but not from Silo. He’s got credibility, and if he could find Baekhyun, he could do anything. The bandit leans forward, body edging over the table. His grin is sickening, spreading like a cat with a caught mouse. His breath is hot and dangerous as he murmurs horrible promises, “I’d wring his tiny neck out like a wash rag.”

“Stop,” Baekhyun growls protectively, finding his voice finally. Silo finds it funny, cackling with his head thrown back. It’s inhuman, unapologetic, and quite revolting. Only a maniac could resonate with his pitch. He worms his way back into his chair in a relaxed position. He’s cocky, finding the upper hand already. He perks an eyebrow.

“Why should I? He’s a bad influence on you, my Baekhyunnie. He feeds you lies about peace and protection. I bet he’s promised you that the War will end,” Silo shoots off a short laugh at the absurdness. Baekhyun can feel his emotions simmer from training, yet he hates that his father makes him this way. “These Jedi are tearing you away from your real family. You even murdered your own in cold blood during that Naboo air strike.”

There’s a familiar face bubbling up, smiling with dead eyes. He told the other to stay back, but he wouldn’t listen. He didn’t believe Baekhyun.

The Jedi’s chest tightens with worry. His fist is closed tightly, and there’s energy pulsating around him. Baekhyun tries to close his eyes to drown the memory, and Silo makes a noise of affirmation. He pushes it.

“I know, I couldn’t believe it either when I heard the news. My own son murdered my right-hand man. That had to take some balls. You grew up with Heechul. He was like a brother to you.”

That day was one of the worst for Baekhyun, something he’s suppressed for the longest time, along with his secretive childhood. When Baekhyun landed on Naboo that fateful day, he did encounter Silo’s men. Heechul had provoked him, hands at Baekhyun’s neck, and Baekhyun defended himself with his weapon. The young Padawan had to turn to the good men behind him and have them all swear to secrecy of what transpired. He couldn’t live with himself if it got out.

His lightsaber always felt a little heavier since that day.

“Nothing to say?”

Baekhyun opens his eyes to Silo’s taunting smirk, arms crossed his chest, waiting for a reply. Baekhyun cannot find the strength to fight this bandit anymore. It’s truly disappointing how easily influenced Baekhyun feels underneath this murderer’s gaze. He always prided himself on not being tied down by his past any longer, but this changed things. Staring into the face of evil, Baekhyun feels weak and trapped. He can never truly get away from his past, no matter how hard he’s tried. His father is always over him, watching.

Silo mulls something over, Baekhyun can see it in his face. He’s lighter, with less violent thoughts in his head. He’s gentle, “You’re special, Baekhyun. The Jedi saw it, that’s why they took you. But I’ve known it all along. You’ve got this connection in you that ties you to the universe. You truly are the greatest thing to ever happen to me. I’ve got an ally inside the Jedi forces.”

It isn’t true, Baekhyun has to keep saying over and over in his head, but guilt trickles in faster. He may not be directly planning with bad intentions in his heart, but the fact that he softens up with just wordy threats against his new life is telling. Fear strikes hard in Baekhyun, and he isn’t sure he will fully recover. Even if Baekhyun swears to never be a part of this gang, he knows that his father will always be dangling threats over his head. He can never really escape this Hell.

“You’re a ticking time bomb.” Silo smirks, “You may do us well in the end, boy.”

Baekhyun immediately shoves his chair away and turns away on his heel. He tries to block out his father’s cackles as he transfers into the holding cell, but they ring in his head. The image of Jongdae lying dead beneath Silo’s feet now feature past his eyes, and Baekhyun desperately tries to connect his link to Jongdae. He needs to know the other is alive. He feels absolutely stupid because he’s prepared for this as a Jedi, yet it all seems to crumble away with action. He doesn’t mean to, but fear is consuming him.

The holding doors open to the hallway, and Baekhyun tries to breathe. He turns down the hallway, anticipating the exit. His mind is on home, where Jongdae will hopefully be safe and sound. When he turns, however, he finds a familiar body sitting on the floor. It stuns Baekhyun a little when the head perks up and he meets wide eyes.

There’s silence between Kyungsoo and Baekhyun. Words between them wouldn’t mean much in this situation. It wouldn’t matter if Baekhyun lies or not, he’s been thoroughly caught. Kyungsoo could rip him in two if he’d like. Baekhyun honestly wouldn’t care any longer.

The other Jedi doesn’t say a word and lets Baekhyun pass along toward the deck. Baekhyun feels dreadful shame in his soul as he enters his ship. He even hesitates when putting in the coordinates of Tython. There’s a moment where he thinks about running away again. After this devastating reunion, it’s left him wallowing in discomfort. Conspiracy and fear circle his brain, and anyone could see it in his skittish appearance. The teachings he’s had since he was young do not comfort him, and instead are thrown out the window. He feels completely reverted back to that scared, abandoned child.

His fingers twitch back to Tython’s coordinates and input them anyway. He’s not completely ready to face the consequences at home, but at least he’s man enough to return. Running away would be easier on his heart, but not easy for the long haul. For even then, his father would still torment him light years away.

The flight isn’t easy on Baekhyun. Once he’s in it, he knows he can’t turn around and leave. He knows Kyungsoo is behind him, tailing him under some kind of order. He has a suspicion that the Order had commanded it, but his thoughts are not exactly clear at the moment. He’s disappointed in himself. He knows his fear is irrational, and he doesn’t want it to control him, but it’s so difficult. He feels it’s sharpness dig into him, leaving a mark of darkness and a reminder. The ancient Sith is calling in his ear, promising everything he’s ever dreamed of.

Not a moment after he’s landed on Tython, Kyungsoo’s ship comes traveling in. Baekhyun waits for his companion, mind flurrying with deep emotions. The young General approaches carefully, sensing the bright aura from Baekhyun. He’s cautious, wide eyes searching Baekhyun’s physical form, before standing his ground at a comfortable distance. Baekhyun doesn’t blame him, he wants to get away from himself too.

“You met with him,” Kyungsoo states, directly looking at Baekhyun. He wonders if Kyungsoo thinks he’s a monster.

“I did,” Baekhyun replies shortly. He stares back with an uncomfortable solid look. It’s weird to not automatically spit out a lie.

“I’m sure the Council would like to hear about it,” Kyungsoo says firmly. Baekhyun breaks their contact, eyes shifting to the ground. He fears that Kyungsoo will know his thoughts right through his eyes, because Baekhyun’s soul is practically screaming for help.

When Baekhyun turns for the elevator, Kyungsoo follows him up. There’s silence between them again, but internally Baekhyun is shaking. This is it. This is where he will fall. It was inevitable.

Baekhyun feels a hand on his shoulder, and looks to his friend. Kyungsoo looks so different. He’s still mature, but very doting. His eyes soften, and sympathy graces his features. It’s light for such a hardened spirit. It’s kind of comforting.

“Don’t reveal too much. The Council likes a good mystery,” Kyungsoo says lightly, and Baekhyun is a little taken back by it. He looks amused, like he’s playing the greatest joke with a terrible secret. Baekhyun wonders if he knew all along. “Save the truth for someone who deserves it.”

Jongdae.

Baekhyun knows it. He nods, accepting the advice. When he steps off the elevator that is near the Council room, he gives Kyungsoo a brave tight smile. He knows he’s stepping into a bloody War with damning information, but he feels just slightly better about the situation.

Kyungsoo gives him a hopeful look back as the Jedi Knight decides his fate behind closed doors.

-

When the door opens to the room, Jongdae is practically jumping out of his seat in excitement. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo both left in such a hurry this morning with ominous words. Jongdae didn’t want to pry too much since they wouldn’t reveal anything, but Baekhyun had promised that he would reveal something once he returned. Jongdae doesn’t always thrive on the hope of promises, but coming from Baekhyun, it feels like a treat every time.

The doorframe reveals Kyungsoo instead, and Jongdae is not absolutely disappointed. He smiles and greets his friend, “Hi. How did the secret mission go?”

Kyungsoo pauses before responding. He sits at his chair and spins to take off his shoes. Kyungsoo shrugs, “It was successful.”

“That’s good,” Jongdae chirps. He rattles his fingers on his desk, his work forgotten. He would like to know more, but he’s not one to push. Jongdae instead just watches Kyungsoo undress and rest comfortably in a simple shirt and joggers. His friend has done a well transitioned turn around, and he’s very mature. Years ago, he lived in this sickening depression that Jongdae unfortunately did not help well with. He really didn’t know how to, and he’s felt guilty about it. Even with so much tragedy, Kyungsoo somehow pulled himself out of the mud, and he’s now thriving.

“Baekhyun is with the Council now. He has more to say than I do,” Kyungsoo says while reaching beneath him. There sits a bouquet full of beautiful white lilies. There’s so many questions Jongdae would like to ask.

“Were you with him?” He asks a little quieter, nervous that Kyungsoo might hint at Jongdae’s desperation.

Kyungsoo pulls his lips in thought. “Sort of.”

Jongdae nods, affirming the response. There’s still questions Jongdae wants to ask, curiosity biting at his heels, but it doesn’t seem right to speculate. The humble silence swarms them, and Jongdae watches Kyungsoo glide across their room. He collects a spade, a cup, and a tiny blade with him, along with the bouquet in his arms.

“Would you like to take a walk with me? Perhaps settle your thoughts?” Kyungsoo asks gently as he reads the rooms atmosphere, and Jongdae feels embarrassed by the fact that he could read it so easily. Jongdae accepts and follows his friend down the corridors to the outside gardens. Out there the sun is bright, shining down onto the Jedi’s who are stuck in the Temple’s walls. The two Generals gently walk on stone steps and take in the beauty. Colorful flora sprout from each corner and instantly raise their spirits. Jongdae hasn’t traveled to the gardens in so long. He’s forgotten how breath taking the site is.

Kyungsoo wanders through like it’s his home. Jongdae follows carefully, now trudging through unmarked soil to their destination. Kyungsoo instructed him to carefully toe off his shoes and let his skin touch soil instead. Jongdae doesn’t question it, and now the pads of his feet leave a gentle mark into the soft ground beneath him.

Here is where Jongdae gets brave. Kyungsoo is scouting out the site with narrowed eyes, and Jongdae can only think of how he gently carries the bouquet. He asks, “Where are the flowers from?”

Kyungsoo squints through the sun’s rays and purses his lips. So much time goes through between Jongdae’s question, that Jongdae thinks the other had dismissed it. “They’re from Chanyeol.”

“Oh,” Jongdae says, a little sadly. Chanyeol has been distant from everyone recently since tragedy struck in his home. Ayanna, Chanyeol’s fiancée, had complications during her birth according to tabloids. The baby was born, but the mother did not make it through even a week after giving birth. The sudden death came as a shock to the world since she was such a beautiful priestess. They saw her nearly 3 months prior, all healthy and glowing. Jongdae can only imagine how Chanyeol feels. “How is he?”

“I only saw him briefly,” Kyungsoo replies. He crouches down to a spot near the rose bushes. Jongdae follows and watches Kyungsoo carefully. His friend grimaces slightly. “He’s … still recovering.”

Jongdae frowns, the sadness sticking to him. It’s unfortunate how life does this. It can tear someone apart so fast and sometimes for very little reason. The War has brought destruction and chaos, yet life is still brought to this world with innocence and hope. The Force is balanced in this way, but it feels unfair.

Kyungsoo sticks the spade into the ground and starts to dig a fist-sized hole. Jongdae watches Kyungsoo take the blade and start to unravel the lilies from their place. Jongdae is confused when Kyungsoo starts plucking the lilies magnificent white petals and shreds the stem into the soil. He can’t watch and let his friend destroy this precious gift. He asks with fire under his tongue, “What are you doing?”

Kyungsoo doesn’t give a straight forward answer, “You must sacrifice the old to get something new. You cannot move onto a new future without using your past as guidance.”

Jongdae laughs lightly, joking, “You sound like the Grand Master.”

Kyungsoo continues to shred the pieces into new formed holes silently, easily tearing the white petals. Jongdae sits in the soil, still confused as ever, but patiently waits for it to sink in. Kyungsoo shuffles into his pocket and fishes out a tiny seed that he places in the center of the hole. He covers it with the displaced dirt. The other then takes the cup, now filled with a mixture, and waters the soil. Now the land is wet and filled with a mystery.

“You can use flowers as a fertilizer,” Kyungsoo says as he digs another hole with the spade and repeats the process smoothly. “This ground is sprinkled with the ashes of Master Bali. The lilies come from Chanyeol as a sincere apology. The tea nourishes all life. And all of this to raise a tiny marigold seed.”

Kyungsoo holds the seed out and gently presses it into Jongdae’s hand. It’s small, like a small bead, but inside is beautiful life. Jongdae doesn’t quite understand since Kyungsoo doesn’t explicitly say it, but he can appreciate the sentiment. Kyungsoo has moved on from tragedy, and perhaps, might reconcile with something new. He sounds at peace.

Jongdae smiles and places the tiny seed in the middle of the fertilizer. He scoops the soil on top, and it feels nice to have the dirt fill the lines of his hands. He feels relaxed, peaceful within these gardens. This moment feels a little somber.

“I have a feeling that you will also have to start again soon.” Suddenly, Kyungsoo hands him the tiny spade, and Jongdae raises an eyebrow. His friend is warm and gentle in his tone, something most people don’t get to hear, “Practice makes perfect.”

Jongdae nods and takes the spade to continue his work. He digs an identical hole, fills it with torn flowers and a seed, and douses it with the tea. Here, life will grow amongst the most important things. Although Kyungsoo’s mention was somewhat ominous, he knows the other doesn’t say things unnecessarily. Something is coming for Jongdae, and it will change him as a person. He isn’t entirely sure what it is yet, but he won’t worry. Worry consumes the best Jedi.

“Jongdae?”

The softest call reaches Jongdae’s ears, and he perks up. There, standing awkwardly in the path, is a shy looking Baekhyun. Jongdae could feel his nerves from meters away, chattering all about him. He looks like a teen nervously asking him for a dance. He’s almost never looked this distraught, and the chattering nerves feel like ghosts of Baekhyun’s past. The situation transports Jongdae back to their first encounter. Baekhyun is overpowered with emotions running the show. Jongdae tries to communicate with the other, but there was no way he was getting through the chaos circling Baekhyun’s mind. It sounds like a swarm.

He knows Baekhyun needs him, but he’s rooted unless Baekhyun speaks up. The bravest thing Baekhyun can do is advocate for himself, and Jongdae doesn’t sugarcoat it. He can see it in his lover’s eyes. He’s begging Jongdae to come forth without words, practically screaming them through the sheer terror.

“I need to talk to you. It’s important,” he bravely breathes, and Jongdae can finally give a smile.

“Sure,” Jongdae says, and then turns to Kyungsoo. It feels like déjà vu. The last time this happened, they were in such a similar situation, and the contents were absolutely life changing. Perhaps this is what Kyungsoo had foretold. Perhaps this would be yet another life changing event.

He sits up from the dirt, brushes his hands off and follows Baekhyun to his chosen destination. Kyungsoo is far out of his mind now as they enter the Temple outskirts where they find a secluded place. It’s not hard to find for them, since they’ve scouted out most of the corners themselves.

Baekhyun is wringing his hands, not that he needs to. Jongdae already knows how nervous he is without any physical gestures. This still does not look promising though. Baekhyun settles at the edge of a ledge that shows off a view. This view, however, is fogged over and the mountains look dark and menacing. Somehow, it’s very fitting.

Baekhyun swallows, “How much do you know about my mission?”

Jongdae shrugs. “Not much. Only that you took off quickly to somewhere off Tython.”

Jongdae tilts his head and catches Baekhyun’s eyes. Jongdae can’t read anything from Baekhyun’s blocked out mind, just the nerves racing against his skin.

“The Council sent me to meet with Silo. He requested me.” Baekhyun frowns, and Jongdae’s eyebrows shoot up.

“That’s… unexpected.” Jongdae doesn’t really know what else to say. The whole situation feels a little on edge. He nudges Baekhyun playfully in the ribs, trying to lighten the mood. “So, what was it like to stare directly in the face of evil?”

But Baekhyun doesn’t play along, instead stiffening up and tearing his eyes back to the edge of the Temple. It’s catches Jongdae off guard. They haven’t been this closed off from each other since before the confessions. They always know how to talk to each other and liven the spirits when too low. Jongdae just looks pathetic when he tries to touch the other.

Jongdae doesn’t need to sound his concerns when Baekhyun already looks so guilty. He in his lips in thought, conflicting messages about his decisions scatter across his face. He growls in frustration, “There’s something you need to know.”

Baekhyun closes his eyes shut and breathes hard out of his lips in an attempt to brace himself for an impact that Jongdae is clueless to. He’s careful in his words, “When you first found me on that desert planet, I wasn’t exactly the poster-child for telling the truth. Honestly, I would have said anything to get off that planet.”

Jongdae’s stomach drops a little, suddenly feeling a heavy weight of emptiness. He listens carefully and watches Baekhyun’s every move a little more diligently now. Baekhyun looks tired, eyes drooping sadly and mouth turned into an awful sneer. He scoffs at himself.

“I wasn’t a slave on Kamar, and my parents weren’t dead. Well, I don’t really know about my mom, but…,” he looks off into the sky, searching for something other than Jongdae’s face.

“I was a bargaining chip until my father returned to me.” Baekhyun finally sighs, eyes returning to their rightful gaze. Jongdae locks with Baekhyun, and the Knights are torn. Baekhyun’s eyes scream for help, but Jongdae feels conflicted. The other breathes, “And Silo is my father.”

Jongdae feels numb. There’s been many things that have shocked him through his life, and many things that have left him speechless, so this isn’t new, but it isn’t easy either. Most things he can bear with a simple apologetic tone and continue on his path. There are many things that the Order tells him to be at peace with, even though anyone with conscience would be torn.

Their moral alignment sides with the unequivocal good, but stops from there. But is lying to keep the darkest truth away from the ultimate good right? Secrets kept in good faith are not denounced? Darkness held as a shadow behind the light is still darkness though.

Jongdae is mostly unsure of what to say or to do, mind swirling with doubts. The fact that this boy flipped his entire world on a lie makes him uneasy on everything he’s known as truths. Was he supposed to just accept this?

“Jongdae…”

Baekhyun squeaks, pulling Jongdae away for a second. Jongdae doesn’t even realize he’s got the tightest grip on Baekhyun’s wrist until the other hisses. Jongdae releases his hold and his breath shakily, apology scrambling at the forefront of his mind. His lips are trembling with doubts, and there’s only one thing he could even pronounce.

“Why now?” Jongdae looks straight to Baekhyun and feels a little singe of anger. “Why tell me this now?”

Baekhyun is a little taken back by Jongdae’s anger. Jongdae has never really been one for anger, especially now in his mature years. He’s got the Jedi teachings practically in his blood. Baekhyun stumbles on his words, “I-I just… I met with him, and he doesn’t feel like stopping this War anytime soon. I don’t want you getting hurt because you didn’t know.”

Jongdae feels hurt still, despite Baekhyun’s now straightforwardness, and yet he still feels like Baekhyun is holding back something. He shakes his head in disbelief. “16 years…”

“I know,” Baekhyun acknowledges sadly. “It’s better late than never, I suppose.”

Jongdae would have to disagree. There’s a sick feeling inside him. People turned Baekhyun away because they said he was too powerful, but Jongdae fought for him. Jongdae believed in him and put so much trust into him. Some terrible God must be laughing, because Jongdae can’t believe that Baekhyun is the son of pure evil. The darkness lurks in many places, but Jongdae doesn’t want to believe it’s in Baekhyun. There’s the tiniest bit that tries to call it true, because being as powerful always has a touch of darkness, and Baekhyun is quite powerful.

“I need to think about this.”

The thoughts of the bodies from the Naboo air strike, the slaughter on Utapau, Chanyeol’s father, and the millions held hostage under the bandits name fly past. The fact that this bandit smiles from his jail cell and still hovers over his son like a hawk makes this even worse for Jongdae. Baekhyun has tight ties with his past, and it’s controlling him. The fact that Baekhyun might leave his new life has him absolutely terrified. All his hard work, lain to waste.

This boy is still a mystery to him, despite everything that they’ve ever done. Jongdae fought for Baekhyun’s right to be a Jedi, prayed for him over decades, celebrated his accomplishments and comforted him in the darkest times. He let Baekhyun kiss and touch him where no one has before, and they’ve shared their deepest thoughts to one another late at night. Jongdae let his guard down for Baekhyun all his life, but this news makes him put up a wall for the very first time.

Betrayal sinks in him, and he backs away from his lover. Jongdae feels a pull at his heart, something so sinister has latched onto him and won’t let go. Their eyes don’t exactly meet. Jongdae whispers, “I need some space.”

Kyungsoo was right about starting new, but Jongdae isn’t sure he can bury his own heart.

 

-Three months later-

 

He stares at the portrait hanging at above the Kings desk. It’s Sir Gallet de Pon, the first of many revolutionists of the Galaxy. He created a theory that this life is just one possibility in one’s dreams, and therefore, infinite. He claimed that dreams were also another stream of consciousness and a reality that was just out of grasp. Astonishingly, his fame has risen especially during times of War. People would often believe this and try desperately to dream of peace and live in that reality. It ultimately spurred the idea of today’s Peace Rally Congregation, a group of so-called martyrs that act in the name of peace.

Chanyeol looks at it and remembers the time he got so drunk, he thought he was in a different realm. He drunkenly argued, cried, and confessed his undeniable love for fried chicken to Sir de Pon, and still believed that Kyungsoo could love him back in a different reality. Ultimately, he threw up all over the painting and had to painstakingly search for a phony knock-off one to replace the decrepit portrait.

Sir Gallet de Pon is a piece of .

“…Chanyeol?”

The Senator shakes his head out of his thoughts and looks back down at the King of Naboo. He sits at his desk, hands on this morning paperwork with an expecting face. He’s like an uncle to Chanyeol, although is only 10 years senior to the Senator. The new King, Divakar Pradhan, comes from a long line of Naboo Kings. The whole family is beautiful, dark skinned and bright eyed. Div has a beautiful wife and three children of his own, along with a whole planet to take care of. Not to mention, he’s been very hospitable to Chanyeol, especially since his lovers passing.

“Are you sure you’re alright? I know you’ve been through a lot. You can take another recess and be with your child.”

“God, no. I’d lose more sleep, and you know it,” Chanyeol jokes, and the King wearily laughs at it. There’s been many things on Chanyeol’s mind, but they all are internal conflicts that Chanyeol has to solve.

One, a Senator that he’s been close with – and Chanyeol has always thought as a mentor – faced trial not too long ago. Senator Bwageel was charged with the murder of an innocent Jedi – Kyungsoo’s Master. It did not shock most, since everyone knows that Bwageel hated what the Jedi stood for, but the innocent public did not think he was capable of murder. Chanyeol had his doubts, but slowly realized that Bwageel had been manipulating him for the longest time. In a way, Kyungsoo was always right. Chanyeol had been blinded by his willingness to lead his people. He would have done anything to gain a respectable voice in the Senate, even befriend the biggest tyrant.

To make things right, Chanyeol abandoned his allegiance to that Senator and personally testified against the Senator at his trial. It wasn’t hard since he now saw a monster within the older Senator. There was just a little bit of him that felt like he was serving Kyungsoo justice when Bwageel was taken away in cuffs.

Two, the death of his fiancée came as a hardened blow. Although the tabloids had made it seem crazy and unexpected, it was not entirely so. Ayanna revealed early on in their romance that she had a blood clotting condition. Unfortunately, even with multiple doctors there to support her during childbirth, the bleeding was uncontrollable. She left this world with a smile and her daughter in her arms. Chanyeol can only be so grateful to her for the temporary bliss of her presence and the gift of life she had given him.

“Thanks for your concern, but I’m fine sir, really. Let’s continue.”

“Sure,” the King shuffles his papers in his hands. He pushes his glasses down to read its contents. “Not much today. No town hall meeting – that got pushed until next week. Tilian, the Zarian prince is coming to negotiate today. We’re preparing a meal for him and his entourage.”

Div then exudes a fantastic yawn, stretching his arms high above his head. Chanyeol shuts away his device after looking at the itinerary and waits for his dismissal. However, the King snaps his fingers and realization hits his face. “Also, that Jedi General is coming today to give an updated report for his mission on our planet.”

“I hope all is going well for him,” Chanyeol says nicely, as the thought of Kyungsoo arriving on the planet chills him. After his desperate pleas of forgiveness, Chanyeol didn’t think he could ever face Kyungsoo again. He’s at his wits end. There’s nothing more that he can do to ever reconcile, but perhaps he will have a home turf advantage.

The King nods. “I hope the Jedi have found what they needed.”

Chanyeol selfishly thinks that they don’t, just so he has more time to plan. These dark days make him feel more desperate for their connection.

-

The prince of Zaria arrives in the late afternoon with a large entourage of 20 other amphibian creatures. The toad-like species stands not so tall with shrunken suits and robes that warrant some wealth. The servants of the Naboo Palace quickly greet them at their ships and guide them to the innards of the Palace.

The Senator watches their webbed feet squeak against the new floors, polished in newly renovated marble. In this Palace, there is nothing old kept from the attack. The King decided against any reminders of the vicious attacks, but Chanyeol swears it still reeked of death.

Chanyeol easily greets the prince with his signature smile, widening his mouth enthusiastically. The prince is a little more modest in his greetings, but still bows respectfully to the Senator. Chanyeol usually stands tall amongst most species, but he’s definitely shadowing over the meter-tall Zarian. It’s laughable.

“Welcome to our home, Prince Tilian. I hope your journey was safe and comfortable,” Chanyeol says smoothly as he walks the prince toward the foyer where the King stays at his throne. The Zarian blinks his wet, gigantic eyes.

“It was very smooth. Thank you, Senator.” His voice is deep despite his tiny appearance. He truly sounds like a ruler. “I’m glad that we will finally be able to talk seriously for our collaborated War efforts. This side of the Galaxy has not seen much devastation as of late, but I always fear the worst.”

Chanyeol nods, “It’s better to take precautions.”

“Agreed.”

Chanyeol, Tilian, and company reach the foyer and are officially greeted by the King. Servants sweep across the floor to guide company to sitting rooms for some treats before the main courses arrive for dinner. Tilian and Div exchange bows and easily sweep into delightful conversations that Chanyeol knows by heart. Most are just pleasantries, things Chanyeol hates about royalty. True feelings are not met at face value, only behind backs and closed doors. The fakeness still irks him til this day, and he knows that he’s a hypocrite. He’s fallen down this path before too, but he’s met the consequences.

There’s a tap and whisper at his ear, “Senator, I just got word that the General has entered the planets atmosphere and is landing in the bay. He should be here shortly.”

“Very good. I will tell the King.” Chanyeol nods, and the short servant looks expectantly for his orders. Chanyeol hums at the difficult situation. “Just bring him to the Palace, and wait further instructions.”

“Aye, sir.” The servant bows and then leaves promptly for the hangar. Chanyeol lets a held sigh out. He’s not sure if his heart is ready to face Kyungsoo again, but he knows he’ll have to. Life will eventually let them face once again.

The timing is not great. The King of Naboo and Prince of Zaria have met behind closed doors, and will be talking for the rest of the evening, and may spill over into the next day. The Jedi, however, only has a brief moment for a report that needs to be directed toward the King. At times of War, a General cannot be swept away easily from it. Everyone’s time is precious in these moments, and it leaves Chanyeol’s heart heavy.

Chanyeol knocks three times and waits until he is called in. He finds the King and prince sitting at a low table with some smooth drinks. The Senator had definitely interrupted talks, but he apologizes quickly. He leans to Div’s ear and whispers, “The General has arrived, your highness.”

“Ah, what impeccable timing, those Jedi,” Div laughs out loud, and Tilian joins in. Chanyeol stands awkwardly in between and waits for the laughter to die out. The King wipes his face and groans to the prince, “I’m sorry, Tilian. Would you please excuse me? I’m afraid I’m very popular at the moment.”

“It’s quite alright. I’m a little exhausted from the travel, so I shall rest. Then the talks will be a little more lively,” he smiles wide across his wet skin. They all stand and walk their separate ways. The King prepares in his office, and the Senator is to intercept the Jedi at the end of their Palace. Everything moves seamlessly as Chanyeol walks down to the bay and awaits the Jedi’s ship. He’s pleasantly surprised by the amount of media coverage that’s between him and the end of the bay. They must have been there since the prince’s arrival.

“The vultures are out again,” Chanyeol jokes to the servant who is intercepting the Jedi.

“They haven’t left. Word got out of an unscheduled Jedi appearance, and you know how they are about that. They’ll kill to get a sight for such a celebrity.”

Chanyeol doesn’t respond, but knows it in his heart. The tales of Jedi Generals recently have become almost like a war-hero movie. The Jedi have gained popularity once again through their valiant War efforts and unbreakable spirits. They have become instant celebrities for their simple messages and private lifestyles. Most do not take kindly to the fame, especially Kyungsoo.

His ship arrives, landing perfectly on the platform. He’s got a hood casting a shadow over his face, and none of the medias cameras could tuck underneath his shadow. They scream for him as he brushes past the reporters and easily intercepts the Senator and servant. They continue to walk silently down the bay until reporter’s microphones are out of reach.

Chanyeol greets politely, “Welcome, General.”

Kyungsoo hums underneath his robes, eyes directed toward the crowd. “I didn’t know you sent a welcoming party.”

“They invited themselves,” Chanyeol chuckles, and the conversation dies in the elevator. Kyungsoo finally lifts his hood and rolls his stiff shoulders. He looks perfect, like a stone statue. His lips are straight lined with tolerance, and eyes are wide and absorbing his surroundings. He looks so put together. He looks like an actual solider.

The servant leaves, and Chanyeol guides the Jedi to the office where the King resides. These meeting hold some terrible secrets, and those are best left trapped in the office where they cannot leak to the public. It’s been a while since Kyungsoo has visited Naboo for a report to the King. The last time was nearly 2 years ago, and it’s been dead air since. A small part of Chanyeol hopes that this visit will lead to more.

Instantly when they enter the office, the King sprouts into a smile and generously greets, “Jedi Do! Welcome, it’s been long since we’ve last seen you.”

“Too long,” Kyungsoo muses with a cracking smile. Despite the cold appearance in front of Chanyeol, Kyungsoo practically melts into the warmest smile in front of the King. Chanyeol isn’t surprised any longer, but it still stings.

The King gestures for everyone to take a seat, and they all obey. The King behind the desk, Kyungsoo at the other end, and Chanyeol as a mediator. He takes notes on his device, fingertips itching to type.

“I know you did not come here just for a pleasure visit. What is your report?” The King opens, and Chanyeol expectantly waits.

“I’m sure you’ll be happy to know I’ve completed my mission here on Naboo. I will no longer need to investigate,” Kyungsoo reports formally, but doesn’t give the details so readily. The missions from the Order are very secretive, even if the outsiders try to pry. Kyungsoo never explicitly stated why he was on the planet, and the only hints that the Palace has gotten is eye-witness reports. Mostly, the Jedi has stayed at the rubble sites, and excavates some spots in the city, but nothing too damaging or suspicious.

“That’s good news,” the King replies. He leans into his desk. “Were you successful?”

“In some ways,” Kyungsoo says with a tight smile. Chanyeol catches it, and red flags instantly raise. He notes it in his device.

“I’m sure our Senator will diligently write the details of your activities on our planet.” The King nods to Chanyeol, and he easily waves his device.

“Already started: General comes with 30 men, excavates around three surrounding districts for almost ten years, and constantly evades our genuine concerns,” he jokes, and it isn’t too far from the truth. That’s probably why Kyungsoo cracks the tiniest smile.

“You won’t have to worry any longer. It’s completed.” Kyungsoo’s eyes flashes a little sadly before returning their gaze to the King. “It is very long, I’m afraid.”

“That isn’t a problem. You are welcome to stay as long as you like.” The King ponders slightly, and then returns with a marvelous grin, “Stay for dinner. There’s plenty of food for honorary guests.”

Kyungsoo nods with a gentle smile on his lips. His tone is lifted, “Well, I can’t say no to a hot Naboo meal, can I?”

“Most certainly not,” the King jokes. “It’s settled then. Continue your report after dinner. We can’t speak truthfully without a wholesome meal.”

The guests crowd around the lavish dark wood dinner table that stretches across the hall. The plates sport intricate art pieces against white background and the fine glass is pure and unblemished. The air is filled with guitars and soft strings, and the room is filled with the aromatic dishes steaming from their bowls. Each person gets their own sides, mixing bursting flavors to their desires. Truly, the Naboo eating experience is one of a kind.

The King sits towards the end, along with Tilian and their wives. Chanyeol sits close as well, and Kyungsoo is across, both sitting without company. Down the line is Tilian’s entourage, and they keep to themselves with inside jokes and drink. When a servant comes around with the dark drink, Chanyeol refuses. He hasn’t taken a drink since his party, and not out of a vow. It just doesn’t taste the same anymore. Instead, it reminds Chanyeol of deeper darker stain, metallic and evil.

He notices that Kyungsoo refuses the drink as well, and it makes him feel a little better. Despite Chanyeol’s better judgement, he watches Kyungsoo a lot this night. He still keeps to himself, but he tries his best to puff up a smile for the King, or politely compliment the food. He humbly replies to questions, but mostly leaves a distant space between his personality and work.

“General Do,” Tilian greets from down the line. They bow to each other, and Chanyeol thinks they are similar – both small and kind of cute. “I’ve heard a lot about you. You’re quite the celebrity. Though, I don’t think I recognize you.”

“Good things, I’m sure. I hope I don’t disappoint you, Prince,” Kyungsoo modestly replies, and it receives a chuckle. Chanyeol continues to eat his food and listen well.

“Most certainly not. The media loves you. You’ve got a good face for broadcast, you know. So handsome for a human,” Tilian’s wife chimes in, her voice charming as ever. Kyungsoo flushes and whispers his gratitude.

“I hear you’ve got the lowest death rate amongst your men,” another sounds, and there’s nods all around. “That’s what we need.”

“I suppose,” he quiets down, humble in himself. “I just know that my men have homes to return to.”

Chanyeol watches, noticing the dip in Kyungsoo’s voice as he stirs his fork aimlessly in his plate. The attention is not something the other has gotten used to, and he flushes with the compliments. His words are sincere though, and it makes Chanyeol’s heart stir a little. Kyungsoo does genuinely care, it’s not for show.

However, the more Chanyeol spaces out, he notices the uncomfortable twitch in Kyungsoo’s hands. He puts them in his lap, but Chanyeol knows they are still twitching. Kyungsoo had barely eaten half his plate, but continues to just stir sauce around with meat. Chanyeol, with his gangly limbs, easily reaches beneath the table and prays that he nudges Kyungsoo and not some Zarian squishy leg.

Chanyeol watches as Kyungsoo stops in thought and pauses at the sudden knock. It makes Chanyeol’s heart flutter slightly when Kyungsoo automatically looks to him. Their eyes lock, questions swirled in Kyungsoo’s naturally wide eyes. Chanyeol gently smiles and then nods his head back to French doors that lead to the outside. Kyungsoo agrees.

“Excuse me for a moment,” Kyungsoo bows with a slight pained expression, and then rests a hand on his stomach cleverly as he passes by. Concerned eyes follow, especially the Kings. Cue for Chanyeol to swoop in.

“Shall I check on him, your highness?” Chanyeol whispers, body nearly folded in half to reach his height. The King nods, trying his hardest not to concern the other guests. Chanyeol quietly exits the dinner party through the French doors and makes his way to find Kyungsoo.

The Jedi is a little farther away down the balcony. It wraps around most of the Palace, edge dripping off the cliffs and headed downward into the sea. The sun is dipping lower and lower in the sky, casting beautiful shadows off the Jedi’s face. He’s leaned into the beams now, built body careful against it. He’s looking beyond the sun, into the jungles and deep into the water. Chanyeol doesn’t need to have Force abilities to read the mood. Kyungsoo is more comfortable here.

The Senator slides next to Kyungsoo, about an arm’s length away. The other is a little stiff at the gesture, but easily loosens back when dealt with the calming sun rays. The sea smells of salt, and the wildlife calls softly in the distance. Chanyeol loves this. His home is one of the most beautiful places in the Galaxy. It flourishes with life, and it feels almost perfect. It makes him forget that there really is a War out amongst the stars.

“I figured you needed some air,” Chanyeol says, his fingers strumming against the top of railing to avoid the awkwardness.

“Looks like you’ve got me figured out,” the Jedi replies, and Chanyeol notes a subtle tease in his voice, along with a perked lip. It’s nice.

The sky melts into a thousand colors, and it breathes warm air against their faces. Chanyeol appreciates the glow, molding into whatever the universe wants him to be.

“How are you doing?”

It’s an overdone question from a rare pair of lips for Chanyeol. It’s simple in nature, but something he’s wanted since… since, forever, if he’s honest. It’s not with a cold tone, either. Kyungsoo really has changed – or maybe it’s just Chanyeol’s hopeful imagination.

“Fine,” he answers, but he knows what the other means. He shrugs, eyes still to the horizon. “I feel like life has always dealt me ty cards. I still play them, even if it means I lose. I’ve always been at card games anyway.”

His father, his fiancé, his friendship, his trust in colleagues. There’s many things that life has given him and easily took away. He knows he’s cursed. He wonders when his daughter will feel life’s cruel wrath.

“Sometimes…,” he sighs. It hurts. “Sometimes I want to fold and be done with this game forever.”

He can feel Kyungsoo pulsating next to him, eyes on his body searching every nook. Chanyeol’s scars are hidden purposively, so no one can see them unless they are close. Every night, before he goes to bed, he can see the disfigurement. It haunts him.

“But I can’t now. Not with my people looking to me during War, and not with Mina still impressionable.” Chanyeol pulls out his device automatically, flipping to the channel that has a baby monitor. Kyungsoo leans into him to watch the young baby bounce around in a chair and wildly laugh at the baby sitter. Chanyeol eyes her proudly, “That’s my daughter. She’s almost 6 months old now.”

The Senator revels in the close distance between them, it feels nice. Chanyeol takes a quick glance to Kyungsoo, and he’s sporting a look Chanyeol hasn’t seen in a long time. He’s warm, eyes peeled into his smile. He’s got a little laugh in his throat, “She’s got your ears.”

“She’ll grow into them!” Chanyeol exclaims, lightly shoving the teasing other. It’s familiar, and loving. Then everything settles, and Chanyeol can really feel the draining emotions and awkwardness seeping through. He misses this so much, but he’s poured his heart out before with defeat in its wake. Anymore, and his heart might not make it. Instead, he sits in his silence with just hope lingering in the air.

He loves Kyungsoo, he really does. There’s no doubt about it. His heart aches just as it did for his wife. His heart beats strong just as it did when he was a terrible teenager with questionable flirting skills. It broke into a million pieces over him, and it just has never been the same. He beats himself up for getting his hopes up too. His heart flutters at the simplest smile, only to go rolling down the hill of defeat over and over again. He swore he would never do this again.

He eyes Kyungsoo, drinks up his entire body. “You look good.”

Damn it. There he goes again, working himself up for nothing. Those words just spilled out without a second thought. He never knows when to quit, especially with Kyungsoo.

But it’s not untrue. Although his physique had bulked up, it isn’t exactly Chanyeol’s point of reference. Kyungsoo is different by his posture and mannerisms. They’re still mature, but less rigid. His tone is respectful, but somehow lighter. He even cracked a few jokes at the dinner table to a few of Prince Tilian’s entourage. Kyungsoo definitely is elevated.

The other is silent for a long time, paused in a moment of consideration. Chanyeol knows it, it’s the roller coaster effect. The chain climbs longer and longer on the hill, never reaching the peak of satisfaction. Instead, his heart waits eternally for the “inevitable” rush.

“I’ve meditated a lot,” the Jedi strums his fingers against the railing, echoing Chanyeol’s first rhythm. The Senator plays another tapping rhythm, and the Jedi copies it easily. The two share innocent smiles. “It helped me through … everything. It can calm my anger or sadness. Grief isn’t bound by time.”

Chanyeol nods, understanding now. It was clouded when he was younger and captivated in a sinister society. Kyungsoo suffered hard.

“What happens during your meditations?” Chanyeol asks, holding back the flurry of questions. If it were Jongdae or Baekhyun, he’d ask them right away. But he’s different with Kyungsoo, he always has been. Honestly, he should thank Kyungsoo for his reservation skills.

He holds his breath when Kyungsoo looks him dead in the eyes. They are wide, almost shocked and a mixed confusion. It settles down, and Kyungsoo dips his voice low.

“It’s mostly dark and quiet, but not absolutely empty. It’s like night, with nature sounds and twinkling stars. If my connection is deep enough, I can have visions.”

Curiosity strikes Chanyeol hard, “What are those like?”

“They vary. It’s what the future might hold for me, or a resolution I might not have seen with my own eyes. It’s all very personal.” He eyes the Senator. His tongue is pressed again his cheek, as if he’s deciding on something. He gives in with a sigh, eyes toward the bleeding sky. He’s soft spoken. “Recently, I’ve been searching for something in that void.”

The question has to be asked, “What is it?”

He hesitates again. Chanyeol drinks up Kyungsoo’s posture, his beautifully sculpted face, his pouty lips, and his curious eyes. The Senator just wants to reach out and hold the Jedi, if only for a moment. They’ve been through it all, and just some condolences couldn’t hurt.

“I see Baekhyun. I see Jongdae. I’ve got my Masters, and a blurry future. But I’m missing … you,” Kyungsoo quietly confesses, and Chanyeol blinks with surprise. This change of heart fills in the gap of Kyungsoo’s transformation, and Chanyeol thinks it’s fitting. New posture, new outlook.

The Jedi looks to him sincerely. Chanyeol sees a blink of the past in his eyes, a desire that hasn’t been seen since their teenage years. “I think… I think we’ve suffered long enough.

Chanyeol nods, even though he still feels the sadness drip in him. Kyungsoo, despite this warm smile and sincere looking eyes, is still a mystery to him. He holds everything so close. Chanyeol wants to unravel him.

But this is a start.


A/N: Hello to the longest chapter posted ever!! Oh my, there's just so much that I wanted to do for the end of Episode 3, so I figured I could treat you guys! ^^ WE PAST 100K WORDS WOOO!!!!

So, the secret is out. Did you guys know? How is this going to affect Baekchen's relationship? 

Also, Kyungsoo's secret missions are out too~ poor baeksoo friendship ;_;

This is also the first Chanyeol POV. Poor guy, he's really been through it. Here, there's brief mentions of self-mutilation and suicide attempts. Again, depression comes in many different forms and can happen to anyone - even the brightest of individuals. I cannot stress it enough - please seek help if you're thinking about self-harm. 

And then, of course, chansoo reconciliation. You'll see what's in store for them and the rest of the Universe next week in Episode 4 - the last episode!! :3