Chp 5: Trials (and Errors)

Vincit Qui Se Vincit

--

Things start moving progressively at the Temple. Now that Baekhyun is at the last stage of becoming a Padawan, his training is concentrated on the vital steps during the Gathering. The Gathering is a sacred ritual that all younglings go through as the last step to become a Padawan. The Gathering is the journey of collecting the crystal that will bind to the hilt and mechanics to form their lightsaber. Only the most prepared younglings will be able to concentrate hard enough on their Force abilities to complete the task. Jongdae remembers his lasting almost a week.

Jongdae feels absolutely confident that Baekhyun can complete his Gathering. Even during their first meeting on Kamar, Jongdae could sense the overflowing Force within him. Of course, his Force abilities are linked with his emotions, which are a dangerous way to emit its powers. This can lead to the Dark Side enticing him. But Jongdae has enough confidence in the other that his crystal wouldn’t crack like other Sith have manipulated.

Master Pho visits Baekhyun often, Jongdae notices. Perhaps Baekhyun is getting help with channeling his emotions through meditation. Jongdae knows that Grand Master Pho is one of the best Jedi’s – he is the Grand Master afterall, and therefore can help Baekhyun in becoming a great Padawan himself.

Jongdae is walking down the corridors one day to go to training when he overhears Master Pho and Master Bali. Jongdae quickly slides himself out of view and hones into their conversation.

“How is Baekhyun’s training going, Jedi Bali?”

“Very well, Master. He’s turning into a great fighter. He still has a bit of edge on him, though.” Jongdae can see Master Bali’s feet planting into the ground. The respirator on the Master distorts his breath as he speaks, “I believe he’s ready for the Gathering. It is almost time for it, no?”

“He has been scheduled for an upcoming trip.” Jongdae hears Grand Master Pho sigh with disdain. “I know what the boy is capable of. He can definitely create his lightsaber. I fear that other Jedi will not take his edge too kindly, though.”

“His edge? He’s just a little rough when it comes to technique. Nothing a Master couldn’t handle in a Padawan.”

“And if he overpowers his Master?”

Jongdae is in absolute shock that he has to keep a hand over his mouth. He’s never heard the Grand Master be so certain about something so shocking. Jongdae can’t believe that Baekhyun is really that powerful. He can feel power, but is that really something that could overpower a Jedi? Jongdae just can’t believe it.

Master Bali is silent for a few beats. He speaks a few words in his native tongue and then hesitates, “You don’t really think he is capable of that?”

“I do not know for certain. My visions are unclear.”

There’s silence between the two, an uncomfortable break for Jongdae to process. The Kyuzo Master’s voice is flat within the respirator, so nothing takes any tone. Jongdae waits for the reply anxiously.

“I assume you’ve taken the necessary precautions.”

“Yes. The boy interacts with very little Jedi. This is very much contained. We wouldn’t want to have another Chosen One destroy our Order.”

This time Jongdae actually gasps and can’t help it. Jongdae can see the two Master’s heads turn to his position and stare at his crouched body on the floor. They look as if a ghost had appeared and come back to haunt them. All Jongdae can do is scramble away with his heart hammering in his chest.

He can’t believe what he’s overheard, it just isn’t true. Their worlds and different truths collide. In his world, Baekhyun is this sweet little boy that’s slowly warming up to his new life. Baekhyun would always give Jongdae more rations when he was working hard and looking skinny. They laugh at stupid jokes and Jongdae can feel like his age when he’s around Baekhyun, who literally bounces up and down when he’s excited. It’s only been a year, but Jongdae can confidently say that Baekhyun is his friend.

Baekhyun isn’t this monster. Jongdae can’t even believe the Jedi would compare him to Anakin Skywalker. Baekhyun has a gentle smile and is touchy. He’s not evil. He can’t be.

Jongdae stops running once he reaches the dormitories. He slides down the wall of the corridor until he’s to the floor. Jongdae can feel fire rising in his throat. He’s heaving breaths to stop his heart from leaping out of his chest. All he can do was just let the emotions run their course until he can finally function.

-

Baekhyun begins mentally preparing for his trials a week before his expected departure. Jongdae finds the boy sitting quietly in the mess hall, his food untouched as he sits with his eyes closed. Jongdae slips across from him and greets him, as if nothing has happened. He chooses to ignore the Master’s words, only to see the good. Baekhyun slips his eyes open and smirks.

“What took you so long? Fight off a bunch of storm troopers on your way here?” Baekhyun teases with grin as he begins to eat the prepared meal. Jongdae chuckles.

“What if I did?”

Baekhyun out right bursts into laughter, his voice projecting like a bolt. Jongdae plays along, acting hurt with the laughter.

“What? You don’t believe me? I’ll show you,” Jongdae snatches Baekhyun’s wrist and pulls him forward into the tabletop. Baekhyun is launched into the table and quietly groans on impact. Fire is in his eyes when his free hand grabs Jongdae’s free wrist and he drags the other forward as well. In their silly match, Jongdae ends up with a giant grin on his face and has to beg Baekhyun to release his wrist when he had done the same ages ago.

They eat and speak, sometimes at the same time. It is unbelievable how much Baekhyun can talk. If you would have told Jongdae that this Baekhyun is the same as the freckled boy on Kamar, he’d tell that you’re a liar. But yet, here they are. Baekhyun blabbers about some other youngling he crossed with, and Jongdae just listens well. He can barely get a word in when Baekhyun is in story mode.

“Are you excited for your Gathering?” Jongdae can finally ask when Baekhyun takes a sip of his water. He can see Baekhyun freeze up at the sound, but he swallows before speaking.

“I’m actually kind of nervous,” Baekhyun confesses quietly. His eyes don’t quite match Jongdae’s. His demeanor is completely different.

Jongdae picks at the vegetables on his tray. “There’s really nothing to worry about. You’re Force abilities are strong enough to create the lightsaber.”

“Well, that’s not really what I’m worried about,” Baekhyun mutters so quietly that Jongdae can barely hear it. Jongdae frowns and gives Baekhyun a pointed stare. Baekhyun meets Jongdae’s stare and shrugs. He’s digging his spoon into the food. “I worry about what comes after.”

Jongdae has to blink to register it. The thought floats past him and sinks in. He’s talking about the Master, of course. After the Gathering, the youngling returns to the Temple. There, a Jedi will approach the youngling and become their Master. Officially, the youngling will be a Padawan. Without a Master, Baekhyun will never advance in his title.

“There’s never been a youngling that did not immediately get a Master,” Jongdae tries to sincerely meet Baekhyun’s eyes. Jongdae softens his gaze to reassure the other. It’s hard to ignore the echo of the Grand Master’s worry, but Jongdae fights it. “You shouldn’t worry.”

But Baekhyun still looks worried. He bites his lip shyly and flits his gaze to incoming Jedi. “How did you get your Master?”

Jongdae supposes he got his Master as any other training to be a Padawan would. He trained hard and studied hard. He passed his trials beautifully with outstanding scores. By the time the Gathering had occurred, two other younglings accompanied him on their own Gatherings. After returning, Master Jonghyun approached him as he exited the ship. He was a young Master and he was absolutely gushing about asking Jongdae. Jongdae remembers them having matching grins when they agreed and were officially granted partnership.

Before the ceremony, Jongdae did interact with Jonghyun. The young Master would often chat with Master Bali, and would often watch Jongdae fight. When Jongdae was an even younger youngling, Jonghyun would play with the five-year old kid. Even if Jonghyun wasn’t an instructor, he and Jongdae would often play by practicing levitation or find out who could meditate the longest without falling asleep. Jonghyun would always play along and fake sleep just to make toddler Jongdae squeal in delight.

Jonghyun was more of a brotherly figure to Jongdae than a teacher.

“He approached me after I completed my trials,” Jongdae hums at the fond memory. “You will have one too.”

“But you knew Master Jonghyun before. I don’t know many Jedi,” Baekhyun says sadly. He pushes away the cold food. Jongdae feels a drop of sadness tugs at his own heart.

“You know Master Bali and Master Rishi.” Jongdae knows he’s reaching, but he wants to make Baekhyun feel better. “And Master Jonghyun and Grand Master Pho know you.”

“But Master Bali and your Master already have a Padawan. And Master Rishi is only a Jedi Scholar.” Baekhyun is so desperate, and Jongdae knows there isn’t much to be done about it. He lets out a frustrated growl, “Let’s face reality. No Master wants me.”

Before Jongdae can even think to respond, Baekhyun leaps out of his seat and runs. It causes everyone in the mess hall to pause their own conversations to stare at the young boy who is flush red in the face. Even when Jongdae feels it was his duty to run after Baekhyun as a friend, his pride roots him to the seat. It isn’t that he doesn’t want to help Baekhyun, he just doesn’t know how. Doubt slips into Jongdae’s mind easily, and with overheard conversations still running in the back of his head, Baekhyun’s reality seemed to be true. He will never get a Master because everyone is afraid of what he is to become.

Jongdae wishes it wasn’t true.

-

Even when all hope seems lost, Jongdae still has his own glimmer of the future. Through lots of focus and meditation, his body relaxes and the emotions that had fired within him simmer. He can think a lot clearer and plan his next moves better. Despite what Baekhyun or the Grand Master had said, Jongdae knows that Baekhyun will get a Master. He just has to do a little persuading.

Jongdae is racing through the corridors to find his Master. Some other Jedi said they saw him in the training room practicing, so Jongdae immediately races to the facility. He bolts to the observation deck to see a clash of green and yellow strike in the otherwise dark training room. From the empty observation room above, Jongdae can see the flickers of lightsabers clashing in a dance. Jongdae is entranced by their movements. The light show is spectacular.

After a few minutes, a gentle alarm pings and the lights flicker back on in the arena. Jongdae presses himself to the glass to see the two distant Jedi below. Jongdae squints to make out their faces, one being Master Bali in his broad hat. The other is his own Master, shoulders heaving after deactivating his green lightsaber. Jongdae celebrates in his luck and rushes down the stairs to the arena.

“Master!” Jongdae yells across the floor with excitement bubbling in him. He runs towards the perked Jedi’s, slowing right before them to simmer into a shyness. Jongdae bows his head, “I’m sorry to interrupt.”

“We were just finishing,” Jonghyun gives a grin to his Kyuzo friend and wipes his sweaty forehead. “Was there something you needed?”

“Yes, I wanted to speak to you,” Jongdae says brightly. When Jonghyun nods for him to continue, Jongdae’s eyes shift slightly to the other Jedi. “In private.”

“Sure.” Jonghyun bids Master Bali a farewell as he pushes Jongdae out of the arena. Jonghyun ruffles Jongdae’s hair a bit and says softly, “I hope it’s not too serious.”

“No, nothing like that,” Jongdae feels shy all of sudden under Jonghyun’s worried gaze. He flicks his eyes to the ground when embarrassment floods him. “I was just curious as to why you chose me.”

Jongdae flicks his eyes back up in time to see Jonghyun’s mediocre reaction. His face isn’t trained quite beautifully in subtly, so he’s outright scrunching his face in bewilderment. His eyes are scanning Jongdae’s serious ones. He gives in, “We knew each other pretty well. It only made sense to have you under my wing.”

Jongdae leads them to a quieter corner of the Temple to sit. Jonghyun looks more concerned by the minute, and Jongdae feels nervous under the scrutinizing stare. He shutters a fake laugh, “There must have been a lot of other Jedi that were fighting to have me.”

Jonghyun frowns, “It doesn’t work like that.”

“Oh,” Jongdae says softly. His heart is absolutely racing. “Then how does it work?”

“I suppose a peak behind the scenes wouldn’t hurt,” Jonghyun shrugs and produces a small smile. His posture loosens up. “Many Jedi watch whatever we can of the Gathering from the droids hologram, but that doesn’t always have the best reception. During the younglings trial, many ask the Grand Master permission to claim a Padawan. When approved, you can choose. And it’s first come, first serve.”

It makes sense why his Master Jonghyun claimed him literally on his way down from his Gathering then. He wanted Jongdae first. Jongdae is feeling a little more confident in his plan, so he tiptoes further into the details, “No fights?”

Jonghyun hums in thought, “Not that I can recall. There is a little bit of drama, but we’re obligated to say that we don’t have favorites.”

Jonghyun flashes him this cheesy grin and Jongdae can’t help but giggle. It feels good to talk to his Master this way. It feels homely and familiar. Jongdae doesn’t remember having any siblings before being sent to the Temple, but he felt closely attached to Jonghyun when he did arrive. The other reciprocated a tender care that Jongdae liked as a child. This tenderness turned into an appreciation and an impeccable brotherly bond.

Jongdae feels Jonghyun’s touch on his shoulder. He supposes it’s to be soothing. His Master speaks forwardly, “You’ve never asked about it before. Why the sudden curiosity?”

Jongdae’s heart is racing again, and his Master doesn’t need Jedi powers to know he’s nervous. Jongdae bites his lip and avoids Jonghyun’s gaze, “I was just curious.”

His Master’s hand squeezes and then smooths out the knot in his tense shoulder. He pries lightly, “I figured it might be connected with Baekhyun’s Gathering in a few days?”

Jongdae swallows hard, and Jonghyun hums, “As I thought.”

Jongdae feels suddenly very exposed and uncomfortable. As far as Jongdae is concerned, there is nothing awfully wrong with looking out for Baekhyun. However, the nagging thought in the back of his head keeps him second guessing himself. His Master has often told him that Baekhyun can handle things on his own, but Jongdae can’t help it. He loves helping Baekhyun – and he most certainly loves when Baekhyun likes his company. When his Master has told Jongdae that he is getting very attached to the boy, Jongdae feels a pain in his chest. Attachments are forbidden in the Jedi Order. Even his relationship with his Master is pushing the boundaries thin. Jongdae feels so torn, as his loyalties lied with the Jedi, but his heart wants Baekhyun’s warm friendship.

This is another test, Jongdae assumes.

Jonghyun forces Jongdae’s head to tilt up to him. His eyes are filled with concern as a tired sigh draws out, “Why are you so concerned with Baekhyun’s Gathering?”

Jongdae can’t take staring at his Master when he’s so disappointed with him. He’s only been a Padawan for a little over a year, and yet he feels as if he is a youngling being scolded again. If he swallows anymore, he thinks that he’ll die of dehydration.

But Baekhyun running out of the mess hall flashes behind hid eyelids. Jongdae feels his sense of purpose within the conversation. He is here for a reason, and he needs to help Baekhyun in any way possible. Jongdae straightens with his confidence rising.

“I’m afraid for him,” Jongdae starts. It’s almost a whisper, so he catches his breath and starts off stronger. “I’m afraid he won’t get a Master.”

Jonghyun’s face usually doesn’t mask emotions, so the stiff coldness of it makes Jongdae concerned. Perhaps this topic has been touched before.

“He’s only been exposed to a select few Jedi – one’s that cannot take on a Padawan,” Jongdae sighs when he feels a bubble of frustration rise in his throat. He slows his breath and calms in the silence. “I’m afraid that no one will claim him.”

Jongdae hates that his Master is so silent, and somewhere deep inside Jongdae there’s a sinking feeling. There’s that negative thought that emerged when he overhead conversations. He has blocked it all for the most part, but it still lingers there, anchoring him. With his Master’s silence, it is just confirming the thoughts validation.

Baekhyun is dangerous.

“I believe I’m not supposed to tell you this, but…” He breathes, “… if you feel so strongly.”

Jongdae can’t believe his ears. He whips his head fast, eyes wide with acceptance. He watches his Master struggle with the difficult decision, but he already seals his fate when it comes to a curious Jongdae.

“You’re right. Baekhyun has been under heavy scrutiny ever since we brought him from Kamar. I don’t even know the real reasons as to why.” Jonghyun has this weird look on his face before he finally gives a reassuring smile. “But that doesn’t account for all the hard work that he’s put in to train as you do. For that reason alone, he deserves everything you have. I’ll do everything I can. Baekhyun will have a Master, I guarantee it.”

Jongdae finally has a fluttering feeling in his chest. Accomplishment warms him to the bones. He gives Jonghyun this grand smile and suddenly wraps his arms around his Master’s waist. He squeezes tight with affection. He can finally feel Jonghyun’s fingers thread through Jongdae’s hair, reluctantly giving into Jongdae’s want for affection.

“Thank you,” Jongdae finally whispers.

-

The elevator to the ship port isn’t too far away from Baekhyun’s room, so Jongdae waits patiently. He’s tapping his foot when he feels anxious bubbles in his stomach, but they pass. Within the next ten minutes, Baekhyun rounds the corner and a flash of concern is written on his face when he recognizes Jongdae’s form.

“What are you doing here?” He says angrily. Jongdae can feel his smile fade slowly. Baekhyun tries his best to push past him, “I have to go.”

Jongdae physically pushes him back. He flutters around an excuse, “I wanted to see you before you left.”

Baekhyun pauses a couple of seconds and waits for Jongdae’s advance, but all Jongdae does is show his smile. He can’t help it, he’s nervous and excited for Baekhyun’s Gathering. Baekhyun huffs, “I really have to go. My ship is leaving soon.”

“Wait!” Jongdae practically launches himself in front of Baekhyun’s advances. Even at every jerky move, Jongdae is just as agile to intercept it. They do a dance for a while, stepping side to side and a few leaps. Baekhyun is absolutely not having it and rolls his eyes.

“Jongdae!” He’s groaning. This is silly and stupid. Jongdae reaches out and grabs Baekhyun’s arms tightly. Baekhyun huffs, “They will leave without me! I’m not kidding.”

“Okay, okay. I just have something,” Jongdae finally lets Baekhyun go and gives into Baekhyun’s pleas. Baekhyun doesn’t fuss, but he does look at Jongdae expectantly.

Jongdae pulls something out of his robe pocket and gestures for Baekhyun to take his hand out, and he obeys. Jongdae grazes Baekhyun’s hand before dropping the weight into the other boy’s hand.

Baekhyun stares at the object in his open palm. It’s like a silver disk in his palm. There’s a small insignia on it that’s worn down and caked in rust. It’s not too heavy and not too large, but it has a little weight to it. Baekhyun blinks and stares at it long enough to make Jongdae squirm.

“My father gave this coin to me as a gift when I was younger. He would always hand this to me when he went off to work. He would always say –“ And Jongdae drops his voice the few octaves that he can. “Something to remember me. Keep it safe. I want it back when I return.”

Jongdae feels a little bit vulnerable. He’s doesn’t share his other life to a lot of people, especially his first memories back on his home world. It’s a lot different than his Jedi life, and he’d rather keep it a sacred thing. Although, the words are slipping out a little faster than expects when he’s with Baekhyun.

“I want you to take it with you. It’s just a little reminder,” Jongdae explains with a slight blush on his cheeks. He hopes Baekhyun doesn’t notice it. “But I want you to return it to me when you get back.”

Baekhyun snatches the rusted coin in between his fingers and drops into his inner pocket. He gives Jongdae a slight smile, “Of course.”

Jongdae feels a spark of hope ignite next to the swirling anxiety pit in his stomach. He reaches out without hesitation and swoops Baekhyun into a hug. Baekhyun’s stiff body is off putting at first, but Jongdae swells with warmth when he finally relaxes and lazily wraps his arms around Jongdae’s body. Jongdae finds comfort within the gesture, even if it is technically frowned upon.

A muffled intercom message is against Jongdae’s back when Baekhyun groans, “They really will leave without me.”

Jongdae slips out of their embrace and finally breathes. He feels better confronting Baekhyun and leaving without an argument between them. He feels a smile break on his face, “Good luck. I’m sure you won’t need it.”

Baekhyun is practically running for the elevator with only a few minutes to spare. Before it descends, Baekhyun gives him a faint, friendly smile that makes Jongdae lose his breath again. He really needs to stop doing that, unless he wants Jongdae to faint.

Jongdae ends up running himself. He sprints for the closest deck of the Temple. It’s just a touch of the outside overseeing the luscious green of the mountainous region. Jongdae gets there just in time to see the large ship ascend into the clouds and shoot into the deep darkness. The ship blips against the twinkling stars before it reaches out of sight. Jongdae silently says an extra prayer for his friend amongst the stars.

-

Jongdae secretly knows that Baekhyun will return faster than most of the other younglings. He sometimes feels blips of Baekhyun’s full power even if they are light years apart. It’s absolutely breath taking in those moments. However, when Baekhyun comes back a week later like all the other younglings had done before, Jongdae feels confused and disappointed for some odd reason.

Jongdae is one of the first to get up that morning. He’s tuned to the ships frequency ever since Baekhyun left for his Gathering. In the early morning, Jongdae’s ears perk at the request to infiltrate Tython’s atmosphere, and he instantly shoots out of his bed. Despite practically no sleep during the week, Jongdae feels like he’s running on pure energy. He’s so excited to see Baekhyun.

Jongdae makes sure not to disturb Kyungsoo when he’s leaving, quietly tiptoeing out of the room before bolting down the hallway. Jongdae has to calm his racing heart when he sneaks around the quiet Temple in the early hours of the morning. Once he’s down the elevator shaft, excitement bubbles up again and Jongdae can’t help himself but smile.

The port for the ships is this huge hangar built into the side of a cliff. It’s full with fighter, transport, and medical ships. There’s a few troopers as security, so Jongdae shuffles quietly in the darkness. Baekhyun’s ship hasn’t arrived just yet, but Jongdae overhears that it is inbound.

The elevator slips open again, and Jongdae watches with hitched breath as several Government troopers peel out. Jongdae’s eye catches their blasters on their backs and he suddenly feels that pit of despair in his stomach. Loud rumbles shake the hangar, signaling the approaching ship. Jongdae keeps his eyes on the incoming ship as it lands successfully. Even with the high security, Jongdae sneaks along the darkness to get closer to the ship. When its platform opens, Jongdae feels urgency in his bones, and it’s itching terribly for him to run.

Jongdae sneaks past some trooper security for a better vantage point closer to the ship. It is underneath the wing of the ship, but he hopes to get closer to actually talk to Baekhyun. As soon as Jongdae sees the boys pale face, Jongdae can’t take the burning sensation in his legs. He books it and is screaming, “Baekhyun!”

The other boy perks sleepily. Jongdae bolts to him and latches his arms around the boy’s frame in a tight embrace. The two troopers descending on the platform with Baekhyun stop and watch the two boys embrace with a shrug.

“I knew you’d be able to do it,” Jongdae whispers proudly. He hopes that his warmth will warm Baekhyun’s cold skin. Baekhyun feels frail underneath Jongdae’s fingers. Jongdae, after a couple of moments, pulls away to search Baekhyun’s face.

“Of course I would,” Baekhyun breaths with haughtiness on his lips. They perch into a smirk, but it doesn’t translate well with his tired eyes. Jongdae can see his eyes slump, begging for sleep. It’s a little concerning that Baekhyun looks so weak after it, but Jongdae supposes that he looked just as tired after his own Gathering.

“Can I see?” Jongdae asks hopefully. Baekhyun pulls back his robes to show the silver hilt of the weapon. But as soon as Baekhyun wraps his fingers around the hilt to unleash it from his belt, the weapon flies across them and toward the army of Government troopers. Both Baekhyun and Jongdae look onward in surprise until Grand Master Pho emerges from the group with the silver hilt in hand.

“Welcome back, young Byun. Congratulations on completing your Gathering successfully,” the Grand Master nods to the sleepy boy on the platform. His eyes flick toward Jongdae and he frowns slightly. “Padawan, you’re up early.”

“I wanted to see Baekhyun,” Jongdae says a little too quickly. The Grand Master frowns deeper.

“Baekhyun needs rest. You will be able to see him tomorrow.” The Grand Master nods for the troopers. “ him to his room, please. You will have your lightsaber returned at a later time.”

The Government troopers obey, and make Baekhyun shuffle off the platform. Jongdae is backing off the platform himself before he gets trampled. All he can do is obey and helplessly watch as Baekhyun is taken away from him again. Jongdae doesn’t feel in control of his emotions like he did when he was training hard, and he’s hurting. He feels Master Pho’s hand settle on his shoulder.

“I sense uneasiness in you, Padawan.”

Jongdae has to breathe before he does something irrational. He croaks, “I missed him.”

He can feel Master Pho’s hand squeeze slightly. “It is not your duty to miss someone. If you are to be a Jedi you will need to be able to control your strong emotions.”

Jongdae knows this. It’s been drilled into their heads since they were younglings. Emotions are powerful, yet dangerous tools. Jongdae has never had a problem with his emotions before Baekhyun had arrived. Like his own Master had said, Jongdae got suddenly attached to Baekhyun. Jongdae’s own life is consumed with Baekhyun’s friendship. The control that Jongdae had when he was younger had been thrown out the window when Baekhyun had a steady grip on his heart.

Jongdae is too young and too impressionable to stand against his Grand Master’s decisions. His heart sinks. He was once at the top of his class, and now he is a disappointment to the Order.

“Don’t you worry, Jongdae. We shall take steps to combat this,” the Grand Master releases his hand. “Get some rest. See me later today.”

-

Days pass between Baekhyun’s arrival, but Jongdae has yet to see him. Master Pho convinces Jonghyun that his Padawan wouldn’t be able to go on any missions until he receives more personal training. The training Jongdae has to endure is similar to the training he had when he was a youngling. He is led into the Grand Master’s space and meditates with him for long hours.

“Today’s task is concentration,” the Grand Master explains as they meditate together. Jongdae tries his best to calm his racing thoughts and clear his mind as he had done as the best student. At first, it is hard, but slowly his training comes back to him. His mind becomes clear, and he can find solace within it.

Jongdae always feels tired after the mental tasks, but he feels much calmer.

“You’re a very good Padawan, Jongdae,” the Grand Master praises him after another session of meditation. “Most great Jedi’s have times where their emotions are strong, but they recognize when they need help. I hope you understand that this is for your best interests.”

Jongdae doesn’t respond audibly, just with a simple nod. There’s a passing thought that Jongdae buries deep inside.

“I sense there is something troubling you still,” the Grand Master speaks softly.

“I can’t say it,” Jongdae mutters. “It would be disrespectful to you.”

The Grand Master says lightly, “It is better to release your thoughts than to let them fester and grow to a belief.”

Jongdae hesitates for a moment to find the right words. He treads carefully when he does speak, “If we are to control our emotions so rigidly, how are we different from droids?”

The Grand Master doesn’t let his face falter or show any sign of resentment in the question. Jongdae shudders in anticipation.

“Our duty as Jedi’s are to keep peace within the Galaxy. However, we’ve been in a War for over hundreds of years. Therefore, we have to keep our distance from attachments,” the Grand Master rises and crooks a finger to have Jongdae follow. The Grand Master takes him across the room and toward the door. “Many people have died in this war, and some will die today. People you know have the potential to be dead the next day. We may act irrationally when the people we love die. If we form attachments, it will be harder to root our decisions without the strong emotional bond. Therefore, we cannot uphold peace.”

Jongdae recognizes the Grand Master’s tone. He’s referencing the horrible tragedy when Anakin Skywalker turned to the Dark Side as Darth Vader. It happened so long ago, but the memory is still fresh.

“In order to maintain peace as an Order, we must do everything to have peace within ourselves. We are not emotionless droids. We control our emotions when needed in order to save ourselves.”

Jongdae nods, “I understand.”

The Grand Master hums in acknowledgement and shows Jongdae out to the door. His green face is calm and collected, “I will allow you to return to your Master.”

Jongdae feels a small swell of happiness, “Thank you, Grand Master.”

The days with Grand Master Pho makes Jongdae recollect himself. His demeanor is a lot less wild. He doesn’t crazily worry about Baekhyun, but he does fondly think of the other. He wants to see the other as a Padawan and train with him as an equal.

Jongdae enters the mess hall only to be in surprise when he sees Baekhyun’s figure approaching from the opposite direction. It is as if fate brought them together once again. After his trainings with Master Pho, Jongdae feels restrained in his urges and settles with a smile once Baekhyun reaches closer.

Baekhyun’s face has a lot more color in it since the last time that Jongdae had seen him. He looks healthier, but there is a stubborn glare on his face. It resembled his face when he first arrived on Tython. Jongdae hopes that all the work he has done to gain Baekhyun’s trust isn’t thrown out.

Jongdae and Baekhyun slip into line for their food. Baekhyun’s eyes doesn’t light up when he notices Jongdae.

“Hi,” Jongdae approaches with his bubbly charm. Baekhyun gives him a quick glance before the line inches forward.

“Hi,” Baekhyun breathes monotonously. He sounds a lot like Kyungsoo when he is concentrating on homework (ie. All the time). The line moves again.

“You never told me how it went,” Jongdae, despite Baekhyun’s cold exterior, grins and pushes through. He tries reaching Baekhyun’s eyes, but the other turns over his shoulder so his back would face Jongdae.

“What is there to say? I came back alive.” Baekhyun reaches for the tray above and shrugs. Baekhyun is fishing for something in his robes and suddenly Jongdae feels something get shoved into his chest. It’s small and round, and it easily falls when Baekhyun takes his fingers away. Jongdae fumbles to catch it.

“Here’s your stupid coin.”

And Baekhyun is out of the line and getting out of Jongdae’s sight. Jongdae can feel it, that swell of hurt. His fears turn true. He knows these are trivial, and he knows that his Master’s will tell him there’s nothing to be upset over, but he knows it’s not true.

But his training is kicking in, and he breathes slowly. The breathing makes him calmer and simmers down the rising emotions within him. He takes his tray, continues down the line and sits at his regular table across from Baekhyun in silence. He closes his eyes and breathes gently. Slowly but surely he is calming down.

He opens his eyes to see Baekhyun staring back. He’s got a concerned looks on his face. Jongdae can only see it for a second before Baekhyun widens his eyes and darts down to his tray. The breathing helps Jongdae focus on the bigger picture, and he can finally feel discomfort in Baekhyun’s heart.

“There’s something bothering you.”

It’s not a question, as Jongdae presses it. He starts eating the vegetables on his plate while Baekhyun stiffens. But then he relaxes and eases into a mocking snort.

“Yeah,” Baekhyun starts, swirling his food with his utensil. His mouth his in a frown. “I was stupid to think that I’d actually get a Master. I was pretty hopeful when you promised I would. Guess that’s my mistake.”

Jongdae is struck. He’s never heard of a training Padawan not getting a Master immediately after their Gathering. It’s unheard of. And when Jongdae was so desperate for Jonghyun’s help, he even promised a Master. And yet, here Baekhyun is, upset and defeated. Jongdae’s gentle breathing lessens the pain he feels.

“I’m sorry,” Jongdae can only respond. And Baekhyun can only laugh sadly.

“You’re sorry? Sure, like that will make everything better,” Baekhyun says bitterly, and suddenly anger flares up in him. “You know, I’m starting to think that my bad luck is coming from you.”

Jongdae can’t say anything at this point. There’s nothing to say. He just stares. Baekhyun is just talking from his heart, and he can’t argue with that. Baekhyun gets up from the table with his untouched tray.

“Just leave me alone,” He cuts angrily, and leaves Jongdae at the table alone.

-

Jongdae obeys Baekhyun’s wishes. Jongdae leaves the other alone for about a weeks’ time. It isn’t until his Master returns from a distress call that Jongdae suddenly feels regret for obeying Baekhyun’s wishes. Despite his calmer demeanor, Jongdae feels the pit of regret clawing at him.

“Master, how was your trip?” Jongdae asks, walking alongside his Master.

“Nothing too dangerous,” Jonghyun says in his charm. They round a corner and he brings his tone down so no one could overhear them, “I heard that Baekhyun returned from his Gathering.”

Jongdae can only respond affirmatively. Any details will put Jonghyun in a concerned mood and try to pry. His Master stares a little curiously at Jongdae’s quietness, but he shrugs as they continue down the corridor.

“And Master Pho told me that your extra training went well while I was gone.” Jonghyun looks down to inspect his Padawan. “I suppose it did you well?”

Jongdae nods, but he’s keeping most comments to himself. He’s practicing his breathing, in and out, slowly. And yet, a comment slips between his lips, “Baekhyun does not have a Master.”

Jonghyun immediately stops and holds Jongdae back so he doesn’t scurry away. He’s not usually this apprehensive unless it involves a mission. He crouches down to Jongdae’s level with a confused look on his face. “You’re not lying to me, are you?”

“Of course not!” Jongdae shouts, but instantly shrinks into a whisper, “I wouldn’t say it if it weren’t true.”

Jonghyun gives out a frustrated sigh. He sincerely looks at his Padawan, “Jongdae, you have to understand this. I did absolutely everything in my power to get other Jedi to notice Baekhyun. I even let people know of his Gathering so they could watch on the holoprojector. Many seemed interested.”

A sour feeling settles in Jongdae’s stomach, and it’s making him uncomfortable. Weeks after Baekhyun’s Gathering and yet there are no Jedi’s that present themselves to Baekhyun. It just doesn’t make sense, unless they think of Baekhyun differently than they say. There is the possibility, but it is unfair and unjust if that is the case.

“I’m sorry. We did all that we could for him,” Jonghyun says sadly. He pats Jongdae’s head. “We provided an opportunity for him, but fate has something else in store for him.”

Jongdae shakes his head in defiance. He shouts, “You’re wrong! He’ll be a Padawan and a Jedi. That is his path.”

Jongdae has had enough and finally storms off down the hallway. He knows that Baekhyun’s training is during this time, so he runs for the facility as fast as he can. He can’t stay away from the other, despite his wishes. Baekhyun just needs that boost of confidence, to know that there are Masters that care about him and he will get one. Jongdae has hope for it still.

Jongdae races against the clock as he approaches the training facility. Jongdae can feel his lungs burning when he finally hops into the facility where Baekhyun is stretching. The boy looks between his chestnut bangs at the intruder and quickly shoots out a huff, “Can’t stay away, huh?”

“No, I can’t,” Jongdae stands his ground as he approaches Baekhyun. He tries to act tough, especially since Baekhyun is so distant and cold. “I think you’re acting childish.”

Baekhyun stares at him incredulously, “Me? Take a look at yourself, busting in here like that.”

“I do this because I care about you a lot, Baekhyun. You have no idea the amount of effort I’ve put into you. Do you think that’s childish?”

“I think it’s stupid,” Baekhyun hisses, approaching Jongdae even closer. “You don’t have to do anything for me. I can take care of myself.”

“And wallowing in pity is all you’re going to do.” Jongdae feels himself go red. He feels his blood boil, so he takes a moment to regain a steady breath. Calmer, Jongdae continues, “A lot of people care about you.”

Baekhyun skeptically breathes a laugh and then bites sarcastically, “Right.”

“It’s true,” Jongdae pleads with his eyes. “I asked my Master to gather as many Jedi and tell them about you. Many of them are interested in your abilities.”

“Then why haven’t they approached me?” Baekhyun snaps angrily. Jongdae can sense that he’s going to just run for it.

“Honestly, I don’t know,” Jongdae says calmly. He can see Baekhyun visibly deflate, which means that it will be easier to talk than to scream at a hothead. “I do know that other Jedi are interested in you. The real you. Not this, not what you are now.”

Baekhyun lifts his eyes with a defiant spark, “What if this is the real me all along?”

“I know it’s not,” Jongdae is adamant. Baekhyun tosses a laugh, but Jongdae talks through it. “I know you have an incurable fear of drowning. I know that you help clean the kitchen just to get a decent snack. I know that you really enjoy the night and sleeping in the day.”

Baekhyun isn’t mock laughing anymore, instead setting his face in a default tone. It’s neutral. Jongdae continues, “I especially know that you’re afraid of the future, just like me. It is uncertain, but we don’t have to face it alone. I want to train with you and grow up to be Jedi’s with you alongside me, with or without a Master. I hope deep down inside that you care about me too, and want the same.”

Baekhyun is silent as Jongdae stares for his reaction. Jongdae can’t tell what the other is thinking, but he can definitely hear the steady drum beat of his own heart as he waits. He hopes that leaving his feelings out like this will encourage Baekhyun to be sincere as well. It’s a risk that Jongdae had to take, and he is a little anxious that it will just tear him.

But Baekhyun hums to himself and nods. He’s still silent, but at least he looks less threatening. His eyes don’t quite meet Jongdae’s, but Jongdae cannot sense any hostility from the other boy. Baekhyun mutters something, and Jongdae asks for a repeat.

“I’m sorry for calling your coin stupid,” Baekhyun repeats again, eyes still not reaching Jongdae’s. Jongdae knows the pink embarrassing blush steaked across Baekhyun’s cheeks.

Jongdae laughs softly, “It’s okay.”

Baekhyun doesn’t say much after that, and Jongdae can understand. It is embarrassing for him to admit fault in things, as Jongdae finds it hard to open himself up so widely. But, in the end, no one leaves with regret in their heart.

As the two friends rejoice in friendship once again, Master Bali finally enters the room and is surprised by Jongdae’s presence. “Jongdae, you’re very early.”

Jongdae stands his ground, “I want to train with Baekhyun.”

The Kyuzo Master shakes his head wearily, “We’ve been over this. You cannot train with him. It’s under the Grand Master’s orders.”

“But I want to train with Jongdae!”

Jongdae can’t believe his ears, so he turns around to see the source. Baekhyun is standing firmly on the ground with his neck a bit strained and a warm flush to his face. Jongdae almost wants to grin and hug him to death.

“He’s created his lightsaber already, so shouldn’t he practice fighting with an equal?” Jongdae argues.

Master Bali crosses his arms over his chest, “He’s learning the basics of fighting with the weapon right now.”

Baekhyun is growing frustrated, “I already know the basics.”

“Isn’t that for me to decide?” The Kyuzo Master growls in annoyance, and the respirator makes it sound absolutely murderous. It makes both of the boys shut their mouths with any more comments. It’s almost suicide trying to argue with a Master, especially Master Bali.

But Jongdae loves to push. He gives the Master a pleading look, “Please. Just a test.”

Master Bali gives the two boys a hard stare, but he finally grumbles a sigh. He mutters, “I’m not a pushover.”

He allows the two to square off in a match. Jongdae feels like he doesn’t need to go too hard on Baekhyun. He’s only a beginner.

Jongdae unsheaths his blue saber. The color shines against his skin as he stands in his en guard position. At the opposite ends of the room, Baekhyun stands in his en guard position with his silver hilt gleaming. He presses a button and the whirl of the weapon echoes in the room. Jongdae is mesmerized by the deep purple glow of the weapon.

“Fight!”

Jongdae and Baekhyun start running toward each other. Jongdae takes an immediate attack position and swings his weapon in a diagonal angle. He sees Baekhyun taking the same approach at the last second, and they clash. Blue and purple beams are sizzling between them, emitting electrical snips as they hit. Jongdae can hear Baekhyun growling underneath the pressure.

 Jongdae doesn’t back off. Jongdae slides back to create distance before he plans to attack again in succession. But before he can lift his head up for another attack, Baekhyun is running at full speed with his lightsaber humming as he swings for another attack. Jongdae quickly rolls out of the way and hears the sizzle of the metal ground getting scorched.

Jongdae gets back up on his feet just in time to defend himself against another one of Baekhyun’s swings. Jongdae quickly tries to analyze Baekhyun’s fighting style, like Master Bali always says in practices, but it’s hard to concentrate when Baekhyun is dealing with many powerful strikes. Jongdae is getting overwhelmed by the flashes of purple, so when the next clash occurs, Jongdae uses a Force push with his free hand to give them space.

Baekhyun is pushed back and is trying to balance himself when he finally slides to a stop. This is Jongdae’s perfect opportunity to strike. He charges toward Baekhyun and jabs at Baekhyun’s chest. Instead of striking a lightsaber, Jongdae feels himself propelling backwards and finally tumbling down to the ground. His lightsaber is launched out of his hands and rolls into the dark. Jongdae finally stops when his body crashes against the opposite wall after several somersaults and rolls. Jongdae groans with an ache, and the room is tilted sideways.

“Two can play that game!” Baekhyun shouts from the opposite side with a grin. From the sideways angle, Jongdae can see Baekhyun running, getting closer, and finally Jongdae breaths into the action.

Jongdae rolls out of another one of Baekhyun’s heavy blows and manages to flip back onto his feet. His eyes quickly shift to see his fallen lightsaber, but he’s not quick enough to find it. Baekhyun is back to swinging at him. Jongdae relies on his body to dodge the weapon with agility. With quick reflexes, Jongdae manages to dodge every one of Baekhyun’s swipes.

In dodging, Jongdae finds his lightsaber on the ground. He makes a break for it and lunges for the weapon. He knows Baekhyun is going to be right behind him, so Jongdae quickly gets on his knees, unsheathes his blue beam and defends against Baekhyun’s strike. Jongdae can feel Baekhyun’s strong power as he struggles to keep his blue beam steady. The humming weapons inch closer and closer to Jongdae’s face. Baekhyun looks so confident and focused as he presses his weapon down onto Jongdae’s. Jongdae feels himself clenching everything just to defend against Baekhyun’s strength.

“Match!”

Master Bali calls as the two are heaving and sweaty. Jongdae can only grin up at Baekhyun as they press their lightsabers closed. Jongdae feels a happy flutter in his heart when Baekhyun’s grin outdoes his own. Beside the sweat on his face, he’s shining so beautifully.

As the two boys wipe the dripping sweat off of their faces, they see a dark Jedi figure at the entrance. The other Jedi’s presence is extremely powerful as he walks in the facility. He is a Kel Dor species with a red skin and a black respirator covering his face to match black Jedi robes. Jongdae feels Baekhyun’s fingers latch around his wrist.

“Who is that?” Baekhyun whispers, and Jongdae can hear the fear behind his voice. Jongdae is intimidated by such a large presence.

“That’s Master Suh Menka. He’s a powerful Jedi Master and fights in the War often. I’ve only met him a few times,” Jongdae explains as the named Jedi Master approaches the young boys. His respirator covers his eyes and half of his face, so it’s hard to read his expression.

“Hello Master Menka,” Jongdae bows. He sees Baekhyun bowing a beat later than him. The Jedi Master breathes through his respirator.

“Hello, Jongdae. You’re Jonghyun’s Padawan?” Jongdae nods excitedly. “Yes, you are just as enthusiastic as him. Although, you are a little better at taking blows than he was at your age. Your endurance is exceptional.”

“Thank you,” Jongdae bows.

“And you, Baekhyun Byun.” Master Menka’s face turns toward Baekhyun. “I watched from above. You’re fighting technique is very unique. And I sense you have a great deal of power inside you.”

Baekhyun tries his best to keep a steady face as the Master speaks. His hands are twitching behind his back.

“May I see your lightsaber?” And Baekhyun immediately obliges by unclipping his hilt. Before he goes to reach for it, Master Menka flicks his wrist at the weapon flies into his hands. He instantly presses to unleash the blade. Its purple hue flickers against the lights, humming in the dead air. The Kel Dor hums, “As I thought. Purple is such a rare color for a Jedi to have. The last purple lightsaber belonged to Mace Windu, one of the most powerful Jedi General’s in history.”

Master Menka hands Baekhyun his lightsaber hilt and asks flatly, “Who is your Master?”

Baekhyun swallows thickly, “I do not have one.”

“The rumors are true then,” Master Menka says offhandedly. Jongdae sees Baekhyun chattering with nerves. It’s hard to be so still in an outstanding presence. And it’s very hard to read Master Menka’s expression. “You have a lot of potential, young one. And I can show you many things as your Master, if you will let me.”

Baekhyun audibly gasps, but immediately covers his mouth with his hands. It’s almost comical the way that Master Menka simply his head slightly at Baekhyun’s gesture.

“I-I would—Yes, Master,” Baekhyun says once he is collected and now bouncing with excitement. His eyes are so wide that Jongdae could practically see into his soul. Jongdae can’t help but grin.

“Good, I’m glad,” Master Menka’s voice is subdued by the respirator. He turns to leave, “We shall begin practice tomorrow morning. Get a good night’s sleep, my Padawan.”

The dark, tall Master Menka leaves the facility, and there is stunning silence in the room. Jongdae watches the Master leave and then turns to Baekhyun. The boy is stunned with his face shrunk back. He’s blinking fast as he trembles.

“Baekhyun?” Jongdae calls as he sees a single tear fall down Baekhyun’s cheek. Baekhyun immediately sniffs and wipes the tear stain with his sleeve.

“I-I,” Baekhyun stutters. He looks toward Jongdae and heaves out a shaky breath. He grins, “Thank you.”

Baekhyun wraps his arms around Jongdae’s body very suddenly. Shocked, Jongdae can only wrap his arms around Baekhyun. Jongdae feels a deep blush on his face when Master Bali quickly darts his eyes from the scene. It’s so warm, and Baekhyun is giddy with happiness. Their future looks just a little bit brighter.


*Master Suh Menka is inspired by Master Plo Kloon of the series, one of the most underrated Jedi in the movies!! (You see a lot more of him in comics and The Clone Wars animated series)

A/N: end of the first episode - the first journey has closed and another will open next week! What did you all think?

The Second Episode will take place with s between each chapter, but I will specify their age when necessary.  I will also use different POVs to tell different stories. There will be more of our four lovelies, don't you worry. Much more to come! 

Until next time~