Chp 3: Quaint

Vincit Qui Se Vincit

--

"Block!"

Jongdae quickly raises his forearms to block the sudden attacks coming from the Jedi Knight. Jongdae blocks out the pain from the scrapes of knuckles against his bare skin. The Jedi Knight throws hard punches and swift kicks to knock Jongdae off his balance. As a young Padawan, this difficult training is nothing out of the ordinary. If they are to become Jedi’s, they must train with the best fighters. Jongdae is determined to beat out the rest of his class once again.

He is doing well. He evades and deflects every different hit from the Jedi’s. Last week’s tips help him improve once he is in close combat. His eyes are steady, watching carefully at the Jedi’s intending blows and then anticipating the next.

“Offense!”

Jongdae quickly turns his posture around from huddled defense to a forwarding offense. He catches the Jedi Knight off guard by grabbing his wrist and throwing them off balance so Jongdae can lay down punches. Quickly, the Jedi puts up his defenses as Jongdae lays an assault of punches onto the others body. Well placed knee jabs to the Jedi’s core leaves his body curled to protect from the core punches, but that leaves the Knight’s balance off.

Jongdae only has to push the Jedi Knight backwards to send the other onto the ground. There, Jongdae stands over his red faced opponent. Jongdae’s breath is heavy, and he pants with glee as the announcer kills the match.

But the quick enjoyment lasts only a few seconds as Jongdae blinks back to his humbleness. He helps the Master underneath him and apologizes, “Sorry Master Bali.”

The other chuckles lightly once up on his feet, his respirator distorting the sound slightly, “There’s no need for apologies, Padawan. You did a great job this week. I see you’ve been listening to me when I tell you your left side blocks needed improving.”

Jongdae nods up to the Kyuzo Master. Jedi Bali is one of the youngest Jedi Knight fighters. He is one of the best because has a wealth of information on different fighting styles other than the Jedi’s refined moves. Jongdae is just glad to have gotten the Master’s appraise for his continuing progress.

Master Bali is young, like Jongdae’s own Master, but he is definitely stricter when it comes to Padawans. He pushes the Padawans through the training, and that is why he is a great instructor. It’s no wonder that his own Padawan is Kyungsoo, since they both are such sticklers to the Order.

“Once again Jongdae, you have proven yourself to be a growing Padawan. A job well done,” Master Bali gives Jongdae a nod of approval and pats the young one’s back, “Now eat, since you’ve skipped breakfast.”

“Of course, Master,” Jongdae gives a bright smile as he heads for the exit. The training room is made of grey steel, with lights engineered to give atmosphere to a variety of environments. There’s a huge observation deck on the upper wall with huge glass windows. Before, the Grand Master had been observing in there, but he seems to have gone away and appear ominously in the doorway that Jongdae’s heading out of.

“Hello Grand Master Pho,” Jongdae greets with a pleasant smile and a bow of his head. The Grand Master musters up a gentle smile in return, looking over Jongdae’s body with deep dark robes.

“Good morning, Padawan. Excellent job today in training,” The Grand Master replies, but looks onward to Master Bali finishing wrapping his arms in tape. The Grand Master crooks his finger toward the trainer, and Jongdae stands firmly in his place with curiosity.

Master Bali jogs over, “Good morning Master Pho. Is there something you need of me?”

“Yes, in fact.” Jongdae notices a device being pulled from Master Pho’s robes, details written small and an unloaded picture beside it. The Padawan’s body leans, curiosity overtaking him. But his heart almost leaps out of his chest when the Grand Master’s voice booms, “Padawan, leave for breakfast.”

“Yes, Grand Master.” Jongdae quietly exits, but suddenly turns the corner for cover. There are secrets that the Grand Master is keeping, and Jongdae has to indulge. Jongdae presses his ear to the metal, inching his way to the entrance way that the two Master’s are located. He prayed that he wouldn’t get caught.

“There is a new human youngling here that we need to assess.” Jongdae hears the Grand Master state, and Jongdae’s ears are buzzing at the information. It’s definitely Baekhyun.

“Hm. He’s older than the normal new younglings. And he’s beginning to train?”

“We won’t know unless you assess his skills.” Jongdae hears a pause of hesitation. “I need you to compare his fighting skills with a Padawan.”

“Wouldn’t it be best if he fought with a Jedi?”

“No. That may be overkill for the boy. We don’t want to overwhelm him.”

Jongdae feels his body go numb with nerves and excitement. He’s excited for Baekhyun’s new trials to determine fitness of the Jedi Order, but he’s also extremely nervous for the boy. He has great power, but from what Jongdae has seen, Baekhyun is shy to conflict. He’s never seen Baekhyun stand up to his abuse on Kamar, and he froze in fear when he watched Master Jonghyun fight. Jongdae’s worried that Baekhyun might not be mentally prepared to fight.

“Jongdae!”

The Padawan’s heart races at his name being called. He fears there’s doom on the other side, so he spins his head faster just to deal with the shock. Another young face stands slightly above him, grinning madly. Jongdae releases his breath with relief and greets, “Hi Chanyeol.”

“What are you doing?” Chanyeol still smiles mischievously as he tries to peer around Jongdae’s body. The young Padawan rushes to block Chanyeol’s view, nervous about getting caught by the Master’s. Chanyeol doesn’t look too amused as he squirms around and almost causes a commotion.

“Nothing. Let’s just walk.” Jongdae shifts Chanyeol’s body, spinning him in the opposite direction and pushing him down the hallway. Jongdae feels relief wash over his body again. “What are you doing wandering the Temple?”

“Father is going to have long talks with the Jedi Council. He’s says it’s “very important” so I can’t visit him,” Chanyeol whines, his hands emphasize the quotes with distinction. He then flops them around with vigor. “So, I wanted to find you so that we could do things, like roam the shops or play with your ‘saber.”

“Chanyeol, for the last time, my lightsaber is a weapon, not a toy. My Master says it’s not something I should play with,” Jongdae rolls his eyes and laughs when Chanyeol huffs in annoyance on their walk. Chanyeol is always fascinated by the Jedi way. He says that he’s always wanted to be a Jedi, but the Force is not strong enough within him to get through trials. So, he lives vicariously through Jongdae.

Chanyeol jams his hand into his pocket, fishing for something with a concentrated face. He finds it in his pocket, and dangles a small burlap pouch in front of Jongdae’s face. Chanyeol grins, swinging it back and forth. He singsongs, “My father gave me some credits to spare.”

Jongdae hesitates once he hears the metallic clangs of the credits bouncing off each other with Chanyeol’s shakes. His brain is yelling at Jongdae to stay in the Temple, but his gut lunges at the sight of adventure. Chanyeol is one of his best friends, and the city shops aren’t too far away. If they get caught, he can just say that he was escorting the Senators son.

Jongdae lets an easy grin fall onto his lips, “Fine, let’s go!”

It’s surprisingly easy for them to get outside without Jedi’s questioning them harshly. They play their parts, just casually strolling down into the city walk ways. Once they are out of the line of sight of the Temple, they book it, running wildly into the city with fresh breaths and laughs. They can feel their youth surging as they explore the city’s wide expanse.

The city is lined with hanging bridges coming from the mountains and into the heart of the busy center. Ships blast past city skyscrapers and cliff faces. Tython is the home to millions of people that swore allegiance to the Government. Industrialization takes out only a fraction of Tython’s natural beauty. Instead of flattening the land, construction built around nature. The city is narrow in between mountain ranges, which makes it hard for attacks. Skyscrapers look as tall as the trees, which are as old as time. The ground beneath them has the richest soil despite the layers of concrete protection.

Jongdae and Chanyeol race across one of the sky bridges, landing on the platform for the trolley to take them into the lower parts of the city. The bright yellow trolley hovers by, and they take their first steps onto the vehicle. Jongdae is too excited to sit, instead grabbing the metal pole in front of him and standing as they descend. It’s been long since he could take the trolley freely, as Master Jonghyun always insists that they travel by their own ship into the city for a mission.

Descending into the lower parts, Chanyeol’s eyes gleam at the bright neon signs flashing advertisements. Practically hanging out of the trolley already, Chanyeol sprints off when they land in the middle deck of the city. There are thousands of shops, and one of the biggest displays of droid-appropriate units for the Government. Jongdae finally catches up to Chanyeol who has his eyes glued to swirling sign of bright pinks.

Sugar World?” Jongdae looks blankly up at the sign that Chanyeol is so interested in. “What is it?”

“They have the best choco-cream candy,” Chanyeol is mesmerized, instantly slipping through the door. “You have to try something here.”

“Alright,” Jongdae hesitates, flushing once he enters inside. It’s completely different from the outside world, a disconnect Jongdae immediately notices. The room is colored with bright pinks and whites, completely different from the stark grey walls of the Temple and drab browns they wear. The booths are cherry red and plush, and it’s spilling with candy décor.

Chanyeol and Jongdae slip into a booth that swallows the young boys up. Being here makes Jongdae feel so much younger. If he were still a youngling, he might be enticed by the candy. But as a Padawan with a goal in mind, relaxing in this place is hard to do.

A waitress walks up to them, and Jongdae is slightly startled. It’s a droid, a C3PO type, with pink blush on its cheeks and blonde wig on its head. Chanyeol finds it very amusing that the droid was dressed in a frilly maids dress. Jongdae feels uncomfortable in the place.

“Hello, and welcome to Sugar World! Would you like anything?” the robots voice has been altered to a sickening sweet girls voice. It even giggles on command.

“I’ll take the double choco-cream delight, and you’ll have…?” Chanyeol looks expectantly, eyes gleaming over the shiny table top. Jongdae tugs back a frustrated look.

“Strawberry milkshake,” Jongdae hums, and immediately groans when the droid-waitress walks away. “This is so embarrassing.”

“What do you mean? This is so awesome! My caretaker took me here when my father was having business with your Council men,” Chanyeol grins, taking in the expanse of the place. “It’s just a little escape from the Temple is all.”

Jongdae quietly sits, his feelings growing sour. “I just don’t feel right here. I don’t think it’s right of me to relax here while other Padawans are training so hard to fight in the war.”

Chanyeol sighs in contempt, “Jongdae, you’re in the top ranking. You’re one of the best fighters and scholars amongst the Padawans, you told me yourself. So, why not enjoy a treat with your best friend? You deserve it.”

The droid waitress brings over the sugary treats to the young boys in near no time. Chanyeol’s eyes grow wide at the chocolatey delight, while Jongdae silently sips on his straw. It is good, Jongdae can admit, but the sugar leaves a bitter taste in his mouth. All he can think about is Baekhyun and how he’s locked in a cage like an animal.

The two friends eat until they became full of the sweets. Chanyeol wipes his slobbered mouth with the back of his hand, but it doesn’t do well to clean it. With sticky pride on his lips, he fishes for his pouch and plops it onto the counter top of the white table. It makes a loud, heavy sound that turns heads. Jongdae’s stomach turns at the way Chanyeol carelessly throws it.

“It should be just two credits,” Jongdae quickly says. It seems that everyone’s eyes are on the two young boys and the plethora of credits between them. Jongdae doesn’t want to be here any longer. He grabs Chanyeol’s wrist after he throws coins on the table and attempts to sprint off. However, a body looms over the two boys.

“Hello there,” the Zygerrian waitress smiles, her fox appearance making it more like a hungry grin. “How was your service today gentlemen?”

“W-wonderful. Couldn’t have been better,” Chanyeol stutters, suddenly feeling the ominous behavior Jongdae had sensed before. This paradise is definitely a little strange, and having this new waitress approach them is very suspicious.

The fox like waitress eyes flickers to the table with the credits and her smile twitches, “Wouldn’t you boys like a little more candy? We have a special today.”

“No thank you,” Chanyeol mutters politely, eyes downcast in nerves. Jongdae just watches beside Chanyeol, observing the actions of the waitress. The Zygerrian woman hums at the response and then presents the familiar tiny burlap pouch dangled in her fingers. The two boys instantly stand a little more stiffly.

“Are you sure? You sure do have enough money to spare,” her grin is wicked as she trapped the two boys in the corner. Chanyeol’s heart is racing, Jongdae can feel it against his own senses. They are really in a lot of trouble and stuck in an awful spot.

Jongdae closes his eyes and quietly calms his initial shock, praying that this would work. He waves his hand a little, takes a deep breath, and chants, “I will give the money to the Jedi.”

A few seconds of silence ends the chant, and peels his eyes open to see the fox woman in a confused daze. Jongdae reaches for the burlap pouch quietly at the opportunity. His fingers are almost touching it, but the Zygerrian woman snaps out of it and laughs, “Looks like your mind tricks aren’t that strong, Jedi.”

In a bit of anger, Jongdae releases the Force onto her hand, popping the bag out of her hand. Jongdae snatches it from the air, and gives the fox waitress a satisfied smile. Her shock quickly turns to rage, and she is suddenly about to attack. Jongdae decides it’s the best time to get out, and he pushes Chanyeol.

“Run!”

The two young boys let their skinny legs take them far into the district with the café deep out of the way. They hop onto the bright yellow trolley, and let their breath catch up. Below, they can see a frustrated gang of Zygerrian people. The boys laugh together at their escape. They were young and fearless, ready to take the world.

-

The two young Naboo boys return to the Temple as fast as their legs can take them. Danger was imminent at their time in the city, but they got away with their lives and pride still intact. Chanyeol would say that’s a job well done in his book. Jongdae, on the other hand, feels a sense of wrong doing. Chanyeol was so careless with the money that it attracted unwanted attention to them.

“That was so great!” Chanyeol laughs as he enters the Temple walls. The grey collapses on them, enclosing them into the Temples walls. Jongdae scuffs his boots nervously.

“I don’t think we should go back there again,” Jongdae mutters, worry clouding his eyes. Chanyeol pauses in their walk.

“Why not? I thought the chase was fun,” Chanyeol grins innocently.

“No, it wasn’t,” Jongdae turns on a serious note, making Chanyeol instantly pull back his grin a notch or two. Jongdae sighs, “We could have been robbed or died.”

“But you saved us in the end anyway,” Chanyeol pouts his lips. Jongdae doesn’t mean to upset his friend. He really wants to bring up how Chanyeol shouldn’t be so careless with his money, but it doesn’t seem to be the time.

“Okay, we’re just going to go into the mess hall and act like nothing happened,” Jongdae instructs as they continue into the Temple. Although their stomachs aren’t grumbling with hunger, this would normally be the time where Jongdae would eat lunch with Kyungsoo. It would be most suspicious if Jongdae wasn’t available during the time.

Chanyeol follows Jongdae into the doors of the giant mess hall. Padawans, Jedi’s, and younglings alike are bustling inside, chatting and laughing together over food. It is one of the few times where Jedi were allowed to connect and socialize with others. Jongdae just liked it because it’s a break between studying.

Jongdae eyes the usual table he sits at and notices Kyungsoo’s figure brooding. As the two approach closer, Kyungsoo’s face darkens less. The left side of his face seems to be a lot more swelled than the right, giant bruises are painted across his left cheek, and his eye adorns a black ring. The poor Padawan looks like he got beaten by a savage animal.

Jongdae gasps, “Kyungsoo, who did this?”

Kyungsoo continues to mash his food with disdain, his dark tone expelling anger. Kyungsoo can barely look up at Jongdae, but he manages an awfully hurtful stare. His eyes are pricked with tears from the swelling, but his eyes strain like there is anger running in his blood. With scorn, he spits, “The boy from Kamar.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes flicker beyond Jongdae, rage filling his squinting glare. Jongdae looks towards Kyungsoo’s pointed direction and notices a boy at a table by himself. Jongdae notices the faded freckle boy and how he blankly sips a drink. Jongdae can’t find the justification of Kyungsoo’s hate, especially when Baekhyun looks so calm.

“He’s perfectly harmless. That’s what you said, right?” Kyungsoo hums distastefully, not even acknowledging Chanyeol’s presence. The poor boy is definitely caught in a difficult situation.

“What happened?”

Kyungsoo sighs and sets his stabbing utensils down. “Instead of training with Master Bali, he asked me to fight the new boy. I didn’t know I’d get kicked in the face and pummeled to the ground.”

Jongdae feels his breath catch in his throat as a gasp. Kyungsoo is a good fighter, so this came as a shock. And Baekhyun doesn’t look like he could even hurt a fly. He freezes every time conflict arose. But every time Jongdae looks at the bruises, he can only gape in disbelief.

Jongdae shakes his head slowly, “I don’t know Kyungsoo. I just find it hard to believe. I know Baekhyun, and he wouldn’t—“

“Do you know Baekhyun’s actions better than mine?” Kyungsoo’s tone is borderline threatening. Jongdae can see the betrayal well up in his throat as his veins stick out. It’s been a long time since Kyungsoo has flared his emotions so openly. It’s absolutely terrifying. “Last time I checked, we’ve known each other for years and you’ve known Baekhyun for a week.”

Jongdae slowly closes his gaping mouth shut. He has no words to say. He is shocked, to say the least. Shocked at Kyungsoo’s angry behavior, and the accusations. It’s true, Jongdae hasn’t known Baekhyun that long, but he believes there is so much good within the recluse boy. Forcing him to fight may have drawn him into a panic and he injured Kyungsoo without choice. Jongdae doesn’t believe for one second that Baekhyun meant to intentionally hurt the other Padawan.

There’s a commotion on the other side of the room that grabs Jongdae’s, along with most of the other mess hall patrons, attention. Two Temple guards stand over Baekhyun’s body, and the shy boy picks himself up with the saddest stare. Baekhyun follows the men, his body sags sadly as the guards stand at his side.

“I’ll be back,” Jongdae murmurs. He hopes Kyungsoo wouldn’t catch it, but the irritable grunt says otherwise. Jongdae feels a slightly pang of guilt before he runs off to follow the guards.

He is led down to a familiar corridor that Jongdae recognizes to be the lock up cells. He gasps as Baekhyun is placed into a cell, sadness pulling at his features as the guards lock the orange pulsating shield. Jongdae holds his breath for a few bated moments until he sees the guards pick up and leave. Jongdae crouches, shuffling into the wing towards Baekhyun’s cell.

Jongdae can hear a quiet rustle within his cell before peering around the corner. His vision is slightly skewed by the translucent orange shield, but Jongdae can see. Baekhyun is curled in a ball on his cot, much like when they were on Kamar, head pressed into his knees. His body trembles in a sob. Jongdae can feel the pit of guilt in his stomach grow into his chest.

The shield whirs open, and Baekhyun instantly unravels his form. The boy wipes his red blotchy face with his clean long sleeved shirt that the Jedi had provided him. Initial shock of the entrance wears off, and Baekhyun releases only a little tension. His eyes fill with mustered up pride, even with tears perfectly crystalized on his eyelashes. A deep frown pierces his mouth, bending it unnaturally.

“Hi,” Jongdae simply breathes, edging closer to the open floor of the cell. “May I step in?”

Baekhyun nods silently and Jongdae takes a few steps into Baekhyun’s space. Baekhyun looks so small on the white cot. It looks as if the boy is being swept into the wall of white, his personality fading in. His face hasn’t changed since he was on Kamar. He is still terrified.

Jongdae shuffles around his pocket. He presents tiny wrapped candy balls, ones that Baekhyun eyes with interest. Jongdae smiles lightly, “I took a few from a shop today. I was wondering if you’d like any?”

Baekhyun pauses to inspect the outreached hand. His fingers gently grasp one deep navy wrapped ball. He pops the candy into his mouth, mouth salivating around the texture and flavor. Slowly, the deep frown melts in the chocolate escape and Baekhyun smiles lightly. With good reception of the treat, Jongdae places them down and sits on the ground below Baekhyun’s height. To his surprise, Baekhyun joins him on the ground.

“You like them, right? You and Chanyeol would get along well, then,” Jongdae says lightheartedly with a small laugh. Baekhyun’s eyes are focused on his lips, and Jongdae smiles wide. “We could take a trip down there together sometime.”

Whatever smile Baekhyun has formed slowly fades as the thought sinks in. Baekhyun mutters, “I don’t think that will happen.”

“Why not? You’re training to be a Padawan and then a Jedi.”

Baekhyun’s eyes flash with guilt, and then downcast. “I hurt someone.”

Jongdae swallows hard. He knows that Kyungsoo couldn’t have made up his story, but he mentally couldn’t believe that Baekhyun would be capable of such wrong doing. But this guilt that Baekhyun is welling inside makes Jongdae’s stomach drop.

“What do you mean?” Jongdae presses, even if a part of him doesn’t want to know the answer. Baekhyun is emotionally all over the place, and slowly Jongdae can feel a little uneasiness.

“I had to fight someone. Another kid,” Baekhyun lets out a shaky sigh. “So, I just fought him and I think I hurt him really bad.”

It comes back to Jongdae like a flood. The earlier conversation he overheard at the training room must coincide with Kyungsoo’s bruises and Baekhyun’s account. The Grand Master must have requested Baekhyun to fight as assessment, and Kyungsoo was next to train. Kyungsoo is a decent fighter, so it was assumed that he could push Baekhyun’s fighting limit.

But it still leaves the lingering question. How did Baekhyun end up dealing Kyungsoo so much damage? Jongdae’s curiosity sparks.

“I don’t think I can be a Jedi anymore,” Baekhyun concludes sadly. “I don’t think I can control myself in a fight like that.”

“That’s not true!” Jongdae gasps, clutching Baekhyun’s shoulders that turns downcast. He looks almost completely dead inside, with guilt simmering deep within. “You’re here to learn and harness your strengths. You won’t be a Jedi in a day. You have to believe that there is goodness in you, just like I do.”

Baekhyun looks slightly confused with differing emotions clouding his thoughts. Jongdae can see the sadness and guilt clutching to him like his clothes, but a layer of warm hope wraps around him like a blanket. Jongdae wants the blanket to smother Baekhyun so he wouldn’t doubt himself so much, but he can only do so much. So far, Baekhyun has been quietly listening to Jongdae, and Jongdae can appreciate the effort to getting Baekhyun to smile softly.

“Come with me,” Jongdae instructs, latching his grip onto Baekhyun’s wrist to raise him. Baekhyun quietly follows with curious eyes as Jongdae leads them out of the cells and into the grey wings of the Temple. Through Jongdae’s cautiousness, they are undetected by guards or surrounding Jedi’s. Jongdae can feel Baekhyun’s high pulse rate between his fingers as they make it to their destination.

Jongdae enters the doorway to the training facility, but he is stopped in his tracks when Baekhyun firmly stands his ground. Jongdae looks back to see Baekhyun’s eyes shoot to the ground. He is nervous, Jongdae can tell, but Baekhyun needs a push. He can’t live his life in fear. It would consume him whole.

“Come,” Jongdae calls, pulling the unwilling Baekhyun into the empty training facility. The lights flicker once the two boys enter the facility, illuminating the dark corners to reveal emptiness. Jongdae stands facing the other boy, determination bubbling inside him. “I want you to fight me.”

Baekhyun flashes concern and wraps his arm around his body. He’s hesitant, “I can’t. The Grand Master says I can only fight with Master Bali.”

“He’s not here right now. There’s no harm in more practice,” Jongdae suggests. He’s recently been on the streak of doing things he shouldn’t. When Baekhyun looks more apprehensive to the situation, shuffling on his feet, Jongdae says daringly, “Don’t you trust me?”

Baekhyun’s demeanor changes, Jongdae can feel it. He looks lost, thoughts pulling him in different directions. The poor boy is probably dealing with more internal conflict than Jongdae previously thought, but nonetheless, Jongdae still wants to help him. Baekhyun can’t wallow in guilt or self-hatred. He’s needed as a Jedi.

“You know the boy you hurt before?” Jongdae states as Baekhyun tries to sort through his thoughts. “He’s my best friend.”

Baekhyun finally stops his internal conflict and latches onto Jongdae’s words. He’s slightly off put with a bit of a frown, “Is that why you want to fight me?”

“Perhaps,” Jongdae says provocatively. It’s not true, at least wholly. Sure, he’s a bit angry that Kyungsoo is hurt, but he solely wants to help Baekhyun control his emotions. This is just trying to egg him into the fighting spirit.

“I don’t want to hurt you,” Baekhyun mutters, but his body language is already standing back defensively. Jongdae feels a smirk on his face.

“Don’t pull back your punches,” Jongdae grins, standing back in his en guard position. There are a few pauses in between. In a moment’s breath, Jongdae isn’t sure if Baekhyun is going to attack. He stands silently, hands curling and uncurling, thoughts of escape surely in his mind. But in the next, Jongdae recognizes his pounce and braces for Baekhyun’s oncoming assault.

The boy is fast with his fists, but they certainly don’t land where a trained Jedi’s would. He’s unpolished with formal fighting techniques, but he still provides landing blows. Jongdae blocks his face when Baekhyun’s knuckles graze his upper forearms in the attack. But even with covering his face, Jongdae can feel Baekhyun’s arms reaching around the defense and a quick blow to the side of the head knocks Jongdae back a bit.

Jongdae is astonished when he breaks and Baekhyun is still coming for him with determination. Jongdae builds up an offense to counter attack, and it is effective for a short time. He hits Baekhyun in his ribs since Baekhyun isn’t relying on a defense. Instead, the boy pursues with a growl, shoving Jongdae back and relentlessly throwing punches again.

It isn’t until Jongdae feels blows to his lower half that he realizes he shouldn’t hold back his own punches. Baekhyun is light on his feet, and kicks Jongdae’s shins. In one swoop, Baekhyun spins his leg as a deadly weapon and collides with Jongdae’s weakened legs. Jongdae’s on his feet in one second, and looking up at the ceiling dazed in the next.

Jongdae feels the wind knocked out of him for a second as his head lolls around. He feels a hard pressure on his abdomen and watches as Baekhyun kneels down on him, ready for another assault. Jongdae puts up his forearms defensively and curls his body to endure. Through the cracks of his arms, he can see Baekhyun’s face. His teeth are bared aggressively, but his eyes are panicked. A fight like this makes him lose control of his senses, Jongdae has noticed, and he can use this.

Jongdae can feel the pain radiate in his forearms as the defense is breaking down. Jongdae quickly acts in the moment when Baekhyun does a cross punch. Jongdae grabs Baekhyun’s elbow and fully extends the attackers arm in a twist. It sends Baekhyun off balance, which releases his knee hold on Jongdae’s trapped body. Jongdae slams the other boy onto his back, quickly sits on his legs, and restrains his arms.

In this moment, the boys share a pause. They both are panting with exhaustion from the fight, breaths wide and deep. Jongdae can feel Baekhyun’s pulse underneath trapped arms, and it feels like it’s slowing from the million kilometers an hour that it peaked at. Slowly, Baekhyun’s panic in his eyes simmers to a resolved reflection. Jongdae wants to smile at him, but he can hear panicked voices yelling at them.

“What is the meaning of this!”

Jongdae quickly launches himself off of Baekhyun in alarm, and Baekhyun quietly gets up beside him, head automatically down in obedience. The Grand Master Pho and Master Bali quickly rush into the room after hearing commotion, mostly likely the brunt of the fight.

“We were training, Master,” Jongdae quickly mutters.

“Training without supervision? That’s against the rules, Padawan. You know this,” The Grand Master is on the edge of a growl. “And Baekhyun, you were specifically instructed not to fight with anyone except for Master Bali.”

Baekhyun bows his head even further. Jongdae can see the awful shame filling in Baekhyun’s body, and he can’t stand it. It isn’t Baekhyun’s fault at all.

“I forced him to fight me, Master Pho,” Jongdae announces with sudden confidence. Everyone stares at him, including a shocked Baekhyun beside him. The Grand Master takes a particularly long time to study Jongdae’s disheveled state before allowing Jongdae to continue. “His street fighting skills are impressive. I just wanted to see how a training Jedi would fare up to unpolished techniques.”

Master Bali sighs, “Jongdae, I understand your intentions, but you should have asked me first.”

“Are you mad, Jedi Bali? Would you have allowed such a fight? Or have you forgotten that your own Padawan was beaten to the brink of death by the same Kamar boy,” The Grand Master retaliates sternly. Master Bali instantly bows his head in obedience, allowing the Grand Master to continue. He looks onward to the two boys and commands, “You two are dismissed. But be forewarned, if we catch you two in trouble with our rules again, you will be punished severely.”

“Yes, Master,” the two young boys say simultaneously. Silence falls between the two boys once again as they continue their way outside the facility. Jongdae notices Baekhyun’s eyes are shining with a different light, one of confusion.

“You didn’t need to defend me like that. No one asked you to,” Baekhyun mutters. Jongdae is surprised at the sudden conversation, but welcomes it.

“I had to. It was the truth, and the right thing to do, after all. I’d hope you’d do the same for me if the chance ever comes,” Jongdae smiles genuinely. It seems to make an impact on Baekhyun, because he’s suddenly doing that confused face again and it’s better than the sadness he draws frequently. He his lips in thought, pressing them deeply. He nods carefully, and it makes Jongdae’s heart swell.

“I hope to see you more often, Baekhyun,” Jongdae smiles and pats Baekhyun’s back gently as they arrive to the quarters. Baekhyun gives him a soft smile as well, with a bit of confusion left in his face. He whispers, and Jongdae almost misses it.

“I hope so too.”


A/N:

Did you enjoy the 5,000+ chapter? ^^ This is the start of the longer chapters, so get ready! 

Thank you all for subscribing, I really appreciate the comments and upvotes! 

Until next time <3