Chp 13: Companion

Vincit Qui Se Vincit

--

Baekhyun tries his best to get the wrinkles out of his shirt, but every time he pats at the surface, he still gets frustrated in the process. Jongdae, now finished with strapping on his new boots, smirks at Baekhyun’s frustration. He glides towards his friend, patting him on the shoulder.

“Looks like you’ve got quite the predicament here,” Jongdae laughs, spinning Baekhyun around to take a look at the tiny wrinkles that Baekhyun is fussing about. “Should I rally the troops? Declare an assault on the dangerous wrinkles?”

“Ha ha,” Baekhyun dryly mocks a laugh, wavering Jongdae’s hands away from his wrinkled chest. “This is serious business. We’re attending the Senator’s ball. We can’t look homeless.”

“It’s just a party,” Jongdae shakes his head. “Unless you want to catch someone’s eye.”

“Of course not. It’s not the Jedi way,” Baekhyun teases with a little smirk to match. He fixes his tight vest against the wrinkled shirt in the mirror. “But if I caught someone’s eye, well, wouldn’t that be a night?”

Jongdae leans against the frame of the door, watching Baekhyun dress. A playful smile appears, “You’re always such a smooth talker. You should be a Senator instead of a Jedi.”

Baekhyun’s eyes look shifty, but perhaps it is just the light that catches his eye. Jongdae can’t see his proud smirk waver. He laughs, “If I was in the Senate. That would be a terribly dangerous game.”

“How so?”

Baekhyun tucks a looping belt in, making it secure for his dangling lightsaber. He turns, now finished, facing Jongdae with devilish face. It’s been a long time since the Jedi’s were asked to be escorts. Dressing up well is a luxury item that they can’t afford to waste. Jongdae can appreciate a man in a different uniform.

“Politics, my dear, is a dangerous game,” Baekhyun’s breath looms over Jongdae’s face as he approaches closely. His whisper makes Jongdae unintentionally tingle. “Senators are a face they put on. Underneath is corruption, manipulation, and bribery; all of which are great with someone who likes to talk. That’s why Chanyeol is so good at it.”

Baekhyun stops his monologue, but inches closer toward Jongdae’s face. Any second, Jongdae knows, Baekhyun can press his lips anywhere he wants to. Jongdae can feel the Force radiating about him, drawing in a sensual aspect to Baekhyun. He is always so mysterious and teasing. Jongdae’s not sure why Baekhyun hasn’t caught more attention for it.

“Are you two done in there? We’re leaving,” Kyungsoo bangs on the other side of the metal door. He’s been impatient. He’s one of the pilots, and he’s already missed every check engine because of the two Jedi.

“Just about, sweetheart!” Baekhyun teasingly calls out. He lets Jongdae out of his grasp, finally making him breathe well. Baekhyun opens the door to find the shorter Jedi fuming at the door and a steady grip on Baekhyun’s jaw.

“Don’t call me sweetheart,” Kyungsoo warns, physically pressing against Baekhyun’s jaw. Whenever Kyungsoo uses his actual hands instead of the Force, everyone knows he is serious. Well, almost everyone. Baekhyun tends to ignore those cues.

“Sure thing, cupcake,” Baekhyun puckers his lips for a kiss, but is acquainted with another painful press on his jaw. “Ow! Okay, okay!”

Kyungsoo finally releases his grip on Baekhyun’s jaw with little regret on his face. He storms off to the ships entrance, finally ready to pilot. Jongdae finally steps his way out of the room, chuckling as Baekhyun rubs his jaw. Jongdae lightly touches Baekhyun’s chin, rotating it for inspection. He can feel warmth radiating from Baekhyun.

“No bruises,” Jongdae hums, turning Baekhyun’s cheek over. “Yet.”

“He’s very rough,” Baekhyun comments, seriousness leaving the conversation when he has that dangerous smirk on his face.

“He doesn’t play around when it comes to his ships and tardiness,” Jongdae finally lets the other Jedi go and walks towards the entrance ramp. He can hear Baekhyun’s pattering steps trying to catch up to Jongdae’s head start.

“Isn’t it socially acceptable to be late to a party?” Baekhyun wraps his arm around the other Jedi’s shoulders. “Or, so I’ve heard.”

They are very easy like this. They touch each other fondly with warmth and happiness in their hearts. The Jedi Order says to never form long term attachments, but Jongdae only feels that his combativeness has increased since Baekhyun joined the Order. They are each other’s booster elements, and their secrecy seems to have only done them justice.

“I suppose,” But Jongdae laughs as the thought of the two Jedi lock in arms, extremely late to the Senate party pops in his head. “But I think it would be frowned upon if the team was late.”

They enter the ship and are directed to the lower deck to observe. They immediately ignore those signs and go up to the pilots deck where they can communicate directly with their friendly pilot. In the upper deck, there are desks with a bunch of buttons Jongdae can’t decipher. He notices there are two copilots on the team, one droid and one trooper, siding Kyungsoo.

“Geez, this is a huge ship. Are you sure you can fly this thing?” Baekhyun grins, leaning carefully over some of Kyungsoo’s controls. He is just about an inch too far from Kyungsoo’s grasp, just out of range. Jongdae can still sense an increase in blood pressure from Kyungsoo.

“Don’t doubt my abilities,” Kyungsoo says flatly, lifting up some controls. “Or I’ll kick you right into an escape pod.”

Baekhyun lifts himself off of the controls, backing away defensively, “Fair enough.”

Jongdae locks his eyes with Baekhyun’s playful ones. Jongdae can’t help but laugh. Sometimes Baekhyun just doesn’t know when to quit. It makes him a great leader some days, and others not.

“Set course for Naboo,” Kyungsoo instructs his team.

Baekhyun’s face, once pleasant and playful, turns sour and confused. He whips his head back at the captain with concern in his throat, “Naboo?”

“That’s where Park is from. He’s a Naboo Senator. Where else would he host his party?” Kyungsoo shrugs, ignoring Baekhyun’s concern. His crew signals the engagement into hyperspace.

Baekhyun now whips his head toward Jongdae’s direction. His eyes are flashing in anger, and he’s whispering harshly, “You told me we were going to Takodana.”

“Did I? Hm, I don’t recall,” Jongdae purses his lips, shrugging the mistake off. Obviously, Baekhyun isn’t pleased. His body is tense with muscles tight. Jongdae can see his teeth are clenched as his jaw looks more prominent. He tries reassuring the other Jedi, smoothing out the wrinkle that pops out of his shoulder, “Relax. Naboo is just as beautiful, if not more than Takodana.”

“It’s not that…,” Baekhyun’s face looks more worried the less he talks. Jongdae can feel a swell of thoughts racing through Baekhyun’s head, each deepening his unsaid worry. He frowns deeply, leaving a bad taste in Jongdae’s mouth. He panics, “I can’t do this.”

Baekhyun turns on his heel to the decks elevator shaft, hoping to jump off ship before Jongdae can catch him. As soon as Jongdae steps forward to help Baekhyun, the ship jerks a little. The hyperspace is engaged and the ship is getting into the speed. Instantly, the ship leaves Tython and is on the Corellian Run.

Jongdae steps forward gently, easing Baekhyun back into his arms, even if he doesn’t understand Baekhyun’s personal troubles. He gently reaches for Baekhyun’s bicep with an easy smile, “Looks like you’re stuck here.”

Baekhyun clenches his teeth, and bats away Jongdae’s reach. He turns to the elevator and leaves to the lower decks. Jongdae sighs with exhaustion. He knows that he’ll have to coax Baekhyun out of the ship, just like he’s convinced him many times to let go of his insecurities. Progress is made in those moments, but Jongdae feels there is a lot more going on within Baekhyun than he reveals.

-

The ride to Naboo is not awfully long. Kyungsoo navigates the ship to the docking bay where he can see Senators waiting. Kyungsoo slowly lets the ship down, and drops the exit hatch for the patrons to release. He nods off at his copilots and thanks them for a great ride.

“Smooth landing,” Jongdae grins, wrapping his arm around the pilots’ shoulders. He leans in close with a stellar grin. “This was a little boring though, hm? Don’t you have much more fun spinning and flipping away from enemies than doing transport?”

“I’d rather have the safest ride of my life than have fun,” Kyungsoo is always very mature for the situations at hand. He is truly there to follow the Jedi way and to end the War. But he manages to chuckle, “It’s better than Baekhyun screaming for back up over the comm.”

Jongdae snorts a laugh, but slowly slips his mind into thoughts about Baekhyun as he walks with Kyungsoo out the deck. Baekhyun is distraught, and probably cooped up in room somewhere on the ship. Baekhyun was insecure about most things growing up, and this felt like another relapse of his emotions.

The two Jedi step off the ship and onto the landing zone to see Senators and Naboo’s guild helping passengers off the ship. Nearby, Jongdae can see Baekhyun helping a trooper with materials from the ship. Jongdae can finally breathe easily.

 

“Hello, Senator Park,” Kyungsoo greets formally, bowing his head slightly at the lanky Senator.

“God, you’re always so formal with me like I’m actually a Senator,” Chanyeol grins wider than the sea. Kyungsoo supposes that smile was to charm others, but to him, it looks like a white wall of teeth.

Kyungsoo draws his lips in a frown, logically arguing, “But you are a Senator.”

“Uh, well,” Chanyeol flusters from the comment, forgetting his place. In his sloppy routine, he straightens his form and folds his arms behind his back. In a snapshot, he looks like a presentable Senator dressed in navy blue and gold laced robes. “I suppose I am.”

Kyungsoo has to keep the scoff underneath his breath as Chanyeol asks for Kyungsoo to walk with him. Chanyeol is a Senator, after all, and Kyungsoo cannot refuse their requests, especially at their own ball. But Chanyeol is their age, too young to be a refined Senator, and once a very close friend. There’ still a big rift between them. Kyungsoo sees Chanyeol mimicking the blank faces of a Senator, the ones who never really do stand up for their people, and it irks him. He blames the disingenuous behavior as the culprit for their awkward relationship, but there’s so much more to it – some even Kyungsoo can’t explain himself. It’s a feeling. And the hurt of not speaking for so long still lingers uncomfortably.

Kyungsoo folds his arms behind his back respectfully as Chanyeol walks down the landing zone of the arrived ship. There is a little silence between the two, but Kyungsoo can see that Chanyeol is literally busting at the seam of his lips to try to say something. Kyungsoo relents, just to not see the Senator be even more awkward.

“Is there something you wanted to speak to me about, Senator Par-“

Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo mentally kicks himself at Chanyeol’s request. He always does this. He’s trying to reel the other back into their teenage years where their relationship was solid. But things have changed, and reverting back to old ways wasn’t easy. Kyungsoo slightly grimaces, and reluctantly breathes, “…Senator Chanyeol?”

“Okay, well, that’s a start,” Chanyeol laughs, but quickly composes himself in worry of Kyungsoo’s frown. Kyungsoo frowns anyway. “Well, um, yes. There is. There has been some security issues at the Naboo palace. We’re unfortunately low on guards.”

“I can have several of my men ready for security, if that’s what you wish,” Kyungsoo suggests logically as they near the entrance of the cargo bay of the ship where many of the troopers were unloading supplies. From the look on Chanyeol’s face, which is nervous and sweaty, Kyungsoo knows that Chanyeol wants something else.

“Not exactly,” Chanyeol confesses, stopping in his tracks when something catches his eye. “Oh, Jongdae, Baekhyun!”

“Chanyeol!” Jongdae shouts merrily, with a better looking Baekhyun along in tow. They each hug the Senator tightly, grins and cheers all around. Kyungsoo stands at attention, minding his own business. He is slightly ticked at being interrupted.

“Good, now that I have you all here, I have a request,” Chanyeol explains, the formalities suddenly gone when the lenient Jedi’s arrive. Typical, Kyungsoo thinks, as he rolls his eyes. “There are a lot of guests at the ball. I was telling Kyungsoo that we were low on security. I was wondering if you three Jedi would be willing to keep an eye out for them?”

“Like bodyguards?” Jongdae asks, blinking innocently.

“Yes, but more like companions. There’s a lot of high profile people here who don’t want to seem suspiciously guarded, in case for attack. That is why I chose you three to come,” Chanyeol grins graciously at his Jedi friends. Kyungsoo stands firmly at attention, but internally he thinks Chanyeol is such a big idiot. Senators hate lingering protection, Kyungsoo knows from experience. But if Chanyeol really feels strongly that there will be an attack, then he is definitely trying to cover his . Kyungsoo will do his best to fulfill his duties.

Jongdae turns to determine the others feelings about it. Kyungsoo has already glanced at him slightly, hoping that Jongdae would get his message. When Jongdae grins happily, Kyungsoo knows he’s failed.

“Have you already decided who we are assigned to?”

“Tch, duh,” Chanyeol snorts a laugh, pulling out his device to identify the individuals. He shows the images of the Jedi’s clients. “Jongdae, you are assigned to Senator Hyndo, the Pantoran Senator. And Baekhyun is assigned to the Gran, Senator Bwageel of Malastare.”

Kyungsoo, now standing a little stiffer, speaks up, “Who am I assigned to?”

Chanyeol gently flicks through the device passively. He hums with a bit of a curious face. He tilts his head and chuckles weirdly. Kyungsoo doesn’t like the sound of it.

“Ah, well. It seems I did not assign an for myself,” Chanyeol puts his device away with a pitiful excuse of being sorry. He shrugs with a grin sprouting abashedly. “I guess you’re with me for the night.”

“You already have plenty of your own Naboo staff. Let me handle another Senator,” Kyungsoo argues, but Chanyeol gives this soft smile that defeats Kyungsoo.

Chanyeol’s smiles deepens and he shyly says, “I’d like the company.”

Kyungsoo inwardly groans. He can already hear Baekhyun and Jongdae whispering about it. It’s true, Chanyeol has recently been trying to reconnect, but it’s infuriating. Kyungsoo believes that the more that Chanyeol annoys him with talk about the economy and stupid jokes, the more Kyungsoo will want to ring his neck. Of course, he can’t. Chanyeol is a Senator, and that would be an illegal attack on the Senate. And then Kyungsoo would be kicked out of the Order and live as a farmer on Chandrila. Kyungsoo believes that his willpower is a little stronger than that. He won’t let Chanyeol get the best of him. There are adults, after all.

-

The Jedi’s break from their location outside to the wondrous palace inside. Jongdae knows that Chanyeol lives in luxury. It’s something that Jongdae did not notice at first, since they both were children and only knew about their own little world. There came the time where the two ended up in the slums of the city, and Chanyeol was foolishly throwing around his coins. That’s when Jongdae knew that a Senators knowledge comes only from their experiences. Most of the Senators only lived in their luxury with no knowledge of other citizens. Chanyeol promised Jongdae that he would not forget his people like other Senators have, and he’s kept his promise since.

Jongdae notices that Baekhyun seems calmer, but a lot quieter. Jongdae doesn’t particularly like it, since he knows Baekhyun is still stirring up thoughts in his head that Jongdae can’t wrap his mind around. He lightly grips Baekhyun’s wrist and squeezes, “Hey. You alright?”

Baekhyun blinks rapidly, shaking his head of the blank stare. He shakes into a small smile, “Yeah. I was just in my head for a second.”

“And what might you be thinking about?” Jongdae smile lights up quickly once Baekhyun gives him a more animated face.

Baekhyun says darkly, “You wouldn’t want to know.”

“Oh?” Jongdae bites back, making his way to the upper floor of the great hall. “Anything in store for me?”

Baekhyun leers with his signature bitten lip. It draws Jongdae in and leaves him breathless. Baekhyun whispers hotly, “Maybe you and I find a secluded part of this palace, and we’ll take it from there?”

“Baekhyun,” Jongdae warns, but it almost sounds like a groan. He feels Baekhyun’s Force surge underneath his fingertips. These powerful emotions that Baekhyun is oozing generates a lot of attraction to the Dark Side, and Jongdae doesn’t like it.

Baekhyun seems situated yet again in Jongdae’s loving touch. Together, they descend down the marble staircase into the great hall. There are plenty of Senators dressed in their best wear. Gowns and robes adorned with jewels and prides of their homeland gather around drinks and politics. There is a sense of richness in the air, making it slightly stuffy.

Jongdae led the other to the edge of the room where they could observe their assigned Senators. With their eyes scanning the crowd, they don’t pay mind to their approaching Master.

“Jedi Kim. Jedi Byun,” the ever beautiful for her age, Pantoran Master Andula greets the two Knights with her comforting smile. She is adorned in a beautiful crystal head piece with clear crystals reflecting her blue skin. After they both acknowledge her with bows, and she presses further, “You two are looking for something.”

“Ah, yes, Master,” Jongdae speaks lightly, with the smallest smile. “We both are on assignment tonight as companions to Senators. We were just looking for them.”

“Then, perhaps I can help,” Master Andula guides the two out of the edge and toward the crowd. “Which Senator are you accompanying tonight Jongdae?”

“Senator Hyndo.”

Jongdae lets Baekhyun tail him. Baekhyun’s power seems to settle once again, and Jongdae is thankful for it. He is just a little too on the edge for Jongdae’s liking, and Jongdae wants to enjoy the night as much as possible without worrying over Baekhyun.

Master Andula shows the Jedi’s to Senator Hyndo’s spot. He is a tall Pantoran man, with sharp yellow markings on his cheek bones. He sips his drink carefully and raises his eyebrows in surprise at the sudden company. He graces Master Andula with a grand smile, “Lucia Andula, what a pleasure seeing you again.”

“The pleasure is mine, Senator,” she gracefully says. She displays her hand in front of Jongdae, “This is Jedi Kim.”

“Hello, Senator Hyndo,” Jongdae bows respectfully with a pleasant face. “I’ve been assigned to accompany you tonight.”

“By accompaniment, you mean to be my security? That Naboo Senator really thinks of everything, even if he is so young,” The Senator laughs, sips his drink, and then gives another pleasant smile. “I don’t mean to make your evening boring, but I won’t be much company. Perhaps you could accompany my daughter this evening instead.”

Senator Hyndo turns behind him and presents his daughter. She’s dressed elegantly, with jewels adorning her head to toe. Her face has paler yellow markings, but her blue skin contrasts it wonderfully. Jongdae thinks she is definitely a head turner.

“May I present my daughter, the Governess Talia Hyndo.”

She is confident in her presence, Jongdae can tell, as she stands up straight and presents herself with a pleasant face. She looks expectantly at Jongdae, her pale yellow eyes begging the question.

“Nice to meet you, your Governess. I’m Jedi Kim, and I shall accompany you tonight,” Jongdae feels he introduced himself well. When he picks his head up from a bow, however, her eyes are not locked on his. Instead, they are shifted over toward the other handsome Jedi next to him, Baekhyun. Jongdae observes her movements, noticing her eyes flicker slightly and her hands tightly wrapped in themselves. She is definitely getting shy around Baekhyun, a telltale sign of her intrigue in him.

Jongdae then flickers his eyes toward Baekhyun, and notices a slight discomfort in his chest. His heart is racing, but he keeps the straightest face for the Governess. Jongdae can’t help but keep a laugh in with a tight lipped smile.

“Shall we get some refreshments?” Jongdae lends out his hand gently for the Governess to take, and she snaps out of her daydream. She blushes slightly at her unawareness, and takes Jongdae’s hand.

“Of course. My apologies,” She gently says, as they leave for the punch bowl.

 

Master Andula turns toward Baekhyun, “And what Senator were you assigned?”

Baekhyun speaks attentively, “Senator Bwageel.”

The Master guides Baekhyun across the floor to a corner where some Senators have set up a card match. There, sitting with a large drink in his hand, is the three eyed Gran Senator. Master Andula leaves Baekhyun to his own introductions. He feels slightly nervous about it.

“Senator Bwageel,” Baekhyun approaches carefully, which is very out of character. In these circumstances, Baekhyun doesn’t feel as confident as he usually does. When the Senator does not acknowledge him, Baekhyun tries again. “Senator Bwageel. My name is Baekhyun Byun from the Jedi Order, and I’ve been assigned to-“

“Jedi? Pfft,” the Senator waves his stubby hand toward Baekhyun. The Senator hasn’t even taken a look at him. “I don’t want you following me around all night.”

“But, sir-“

The Senator is stern this time, turning away from his cards to have all three eyes squint at him darkly, “Go away.”

Dejected, Baekhyun turns on his heel with a stiff back in upmost respect. From across the way, he spots Jongdae with his eyes. He’s pouring a drink for the Pantoran Governess. Baekhyun thinks she’s trouble. She looks at him funny, and not in the good way. Baekhyun’s stomach hurts just thinking about it.

With his assigned Senator waving him off for the night, Baekhyun sticks to the wall and observes the crowd. It’s going to be a long night for him.

--

In the past hour, Kyungsoo’s thinks more about strangling Chanyeol in the open than he can count on his fingers. He’s really letting his self-control get to him. It’s been very hard for him to control his emotions and do his job at the same time. It is counterproductive. He isn’t supposed to hate his job, but (dare he say it), he ing hates it.

The only thing keeping him from exploding is the drinks he pours himself. It is some of the best wine he’s ever tasted, and it pairs well the dark fuming rage he has inside himself. He can’t take anymore of Chanyeol’s blabbering about the stock prices of wheat soaring or how he has a trick for getting a new bill passed next week. Politics is the driest subject, and Chanyeol is the most annoying mouth to speak it.

Kyungsoo knows he has a problem, however, when he starts to stumble. He curses at himself when he trips over his own feet. He is too drunk to function. He then starts getting even angrier at Chanyeol for putting the Jedi to drink his own death. This is just adding fuel to the fire.

There’s only a brief moment where Kyungsoo can relax, and that’s when Chanyeol’s fiancé makes the briefest appearance. He’s only heard of her through the tabloids since the two friends had a falling out. She’s beautiful, with slender legs high into the ceilings and poised posture. She leans slightly to compensate for her round stomach, obviously expecting a child soon. She’s a poster picture of a Senator’s wife-to-be, and quite a treat for all eyes. Her eyes are warm, and each laugh feels genuine. There’s a moment where Kyungsoo wonders if Chanyeol really loves her, this perfect being, or if it was a cover up like everything else. It’s a fleeting thought when Chanyeol gives a genuine goofy grin.

“Isn’t she marvelous?” Chanyeol says aloud, nudging Kyungsoo next to him. She’s entertaining some of the Senators, and Chanyeol’s eyes are glazed over like a lunatic. “To think I charmed her after one of my duller speeches.”

She leans in and presses a gentle kiss to his cheek as she retires for the night. There’s a moment where her eyes flicker to Kyungsoo, and she lifts herself from her fiancé of years to greet the Jedi. Her eyes are kind and full of attention as she asks, “I’m sorry, have we met? I’m Ayanna.”

Kyungsoo doesn’t even attempt to control his face because he can’t. His lips are numb. He nods politely and replies, “Jedi Kyungsoo Do, ma’am. Pleasure to meet you.”

“Ah. You’re the General he boasts about.” Recognition hits her eyes, and they sparkle. Chanyeol chokes in the background, making incredulous noises in the back of his throat. She’s got a teasing smile on her lips and whispers, “Take care of my fiancé. Don’t let him get too up into the politics tonight, hm? I’d like a human being returned to me by the end of the night.”

She walks away quite gracefully into the night, and Kyungsoo is left feeling stuck. There’s fire in his stomach, and a strange hope. Most derives from Chanyeol, but there’s maybe a prick of jealous for the normalcy. Chanyeol has a soon-to-be wife with an expected child, and he lives rather comfortably in a seat. There’s just some things Kyungsoo would dream to ever have.

There’s more to it, too, if Kyungsoo will admit. Despite returning home and meditating, there’s still a nagging lurch about being around these Senators. It all started with the card game. Chanyeol sat down, and Kyungsoo followed silently, standing above him to fit as his companion for the evening. Around the table were familiar Senators, all ones Kyungsoo has noted in the past to be the worst of the worst. They lie and steal from their people. They make deals with assassins and gangs to get more coin lined in their pockets.

The worst of them sits next to Chanyeol with two drinks in his hand and the nastiest grin. Senator Kraak Bwageel, the murderer. Chanyeol is all chummy and fun next to the monster, laughing along to his jokes and accepting his drink so easily. Kyungsoo burns at the thought of other bribes Chanyeol has accepted from this vile creature.

“Hey,” Kyungsoo slurs, and pokes Chanyeol square in the back. He is trying to aim for his head. The Senator turns around, away from his company, and gives raised brows. Kyungsoo feels flushed, “We gotta talk.”

“Now? I’m in the middle of negotiations-“

“Right now,” Kyungsoo growls, feeling a drunken rage spit out. Chanyeol looks terrified in a quick second, but it morphs back to a politeness he exudes around this type of company. Quickly swallowing, he turns back to the group, and excuses himself. For once, he silently follows Kyungsoo out onto the balcony for some private talk and fresh air. Kyungsoo feels like a fire spread across his body.

Chanyeol acts so normal, and it pisses Kyungsoo off. “What did you want to talk about?”

“Oh, you know. Anything but agriculture, and money, or commercial banking, or any of the that comes out your mouth,” Kyungsoo growls in his drunken stupor. His face feels hot with anger. He is definitely never a loose cannon like this, but it feels a little satisfying to release it.

Chanyeol frowns, “You don’t swear.”

“I ing do. So, piss on that,” At this point, Kyungsoo isn’t sure what he really is saying. His conscience flies through the window.

Chanyeol shakes his head, scoffing slightly at the wild situation, “I don’t know what you’re getting at.”

Kyungsoo waves his hands wildly in the air, and directs its motion towards Chanyeol, “All I hear is you blabbing on about politics and bureaucracy and little chiffon doilies and . Senators all talk about economies and the lower class – but they have no idea what it’s like!”

If this was any other Senator, Kyungsoo would be kicked off the planet immediately and sent in for trial for disturbing the peace. But this is Chanyeol. He is different, and he’d take Kyungsoo’s beat down like a man.

“It’s a Senators ball. That’s what they talk about. I don’t particularly enjoy it, if that’s what you’re after,” Chanyeol tries to argue, standing up for himself now, but Kyungsoo is definitely not having it.

“You talk so differently around those people, and then around Jongdae and Baekhyun. You can’t even have a real conversation with me anymore. You’re so …!!” Kyungsoo is now panting. His throat is raw from yelling at Chanyeol and the drinks going down. Kyungsoo stomps forward to make his point, making the distance between him and Senator disappear quickly.

Chanyeol laughs incredulously, and it makes Kyungsoo think he’s not taking this seriously, “Kyungsoo, you’re not making sense. There’s something underneath this that you’re not telling me.”

Kyungsoo furiously shakes his head to get rid of the passing images of fallen Masters. He’s biting all the truth back, and he’s just running his mouth. “No, you’re not you. You’re just faking to fit in – so that you can go up in the ranks. But you’ve forgotten yourself just to gain that power. You’ve forgotten us too.”

“I have never forgotten you, and I never will. I care about everyone, especially you.” Kyungsoo almost lurches at the obvious lie. Chanyeol stomps forward angrily and closes space between them. Kyungsoo stands his ground, but feels trapped underneath the Senators figure. He seems ready to kill, trained by the most corrupt. Chanyeol clenches his own jaw and seethes, “I’m not that stupid teenager any longer. I am a Senator now. This is how I act, and this is what I’m destined to be.”

Kyungsoo can feel his blood broil and he’s just spitting fiery words, “And you’ll die that way too, you traitor.”

Kyungsoo splashes the rest of his drink into Chanyeol’s face, watching the Senator squirm, but ultimately does not feel any more satisfaction in it. Chanyeol is still pointed and tan, still perfectly sculpted into the pompous and powerful. Even his tone turned dark and manipulative, one that can still kill.

Kyungsoo growls and then storms off in a rage.

-

Jongdae lets the wine in his glass swirl as his eyes pass over the crowd. The music has begun, and the patrons begin to waltz comfortably. Jongdae snorts when he watches the lanky Chanyeol be pulled in by an older Senator to lead a dance. Jongdae’s company, the Governess, is beside him, also watching the crowd with distant eyes. She seems distracted.

“Are you having fun tonight, Governess?” Jongdae sips his drink and then rests the cup in his hand. The Governess is pursed in thought, blinking her eyes to the Jedi’s question to her out of it.

“Honestly, no,” her voice is confident and stern, much like a Generals. “Pantoran parties are less traditionally political and more celebratory. This is a bore to young people.”

Jongdae has to keep in his laugh. Poor Chanyeol tries his best, “Well, the Senator of Naboo is your age. I think he’s trying his best to keep the older Senators entertained.”

“Well, it’s not thoroughly boring,” her eyes flicks to the edge of the wall. Jongdae follows the trail to where Baekhyun is leaned against the wall coolly. He is also observing the crowd, watching the Senators dance while he stands guard. Jongdae swears every time he looks at Baekhyun, he turns handsomer. His clothes are tight against his slim form, and his face isn’t dirty from fights on ground. He looks like a polished statue. No wonder the Governess took interest in him.

“I’ve noticed you’ve looked at my friend a lot this evening,” Jongdae smiles knowingly. The Governess drags her eyes away from Baekhyun shyly in a downcast.

“Your friend is quite… captivating,” the Governess admits, but not shyly this time. Her eyes are drawn up to him again, paler eyes looking more determined. “How long have you known him?”

Jongdae replies simply, “Over ten years, by now.”

“Then you think you know him pretty well?”

It catches him off guard. Jongdae notices a slight dip in her voice. Jongdae can’t quite put his finger on it, but he’s definitely suspicious. Jongdae hesitantly answers, “I believe so.”

The Governess wouldn’t lock eyes with him. He’s noticed it the whole night. She’s been solely looking at Baekhyun and the way he moves. Even when they’ve held conversation together, her mind seems elsewhere. Jongdae isn’t really sure what to do except to place the Governesses desires in front of her. He’s definitely not jealous, because he would feel a burning in his stomach if he is, and it is one of the deepest emotions that leads to darkness.

The Governess stands up suddenly, excusing herself to the restroom. Jongdae nods, and sighs once the Pantoran girl left. Her shy way of being attracted to Baekhyun is definitely strange. Jongdae wouldn’t brag, because it’s not the Jedi way, but he’s glad that there is no push or shove when it came to Baekhyun and him. Their love is an undeniable bond between them. Limiting themselves is the only challenge.

Speak of the devil, Baekhyun had looked over Jongdae’s way, raising his glass toward the other Jedi. Jongdae smiles and peels from his post on the other wall. His boots click against the polished tile as he makes way for his destination. On arrival, Baekhyun greets him with closed lipped smirk, like he knew Jongdae couldn’t stay away.

“Off duty for tonight?” Jongdae slips next to Baekhyun, shoulders bumping into each other.

“Senator Bwageel didn’t need a companion tonight,” Baekhyun hums, watching the crowd fold into itself, couples rotating their dance partners. He glances at Jongdae sideways, “Perhaps my company would be enjoyed elsewhere?”

Baekhyun secretly reaches his fingers out, and they gently collide with Jongdae’s. Jongdae finds them, and they instantly intertwine. Baekhyun wraps his slender fingers around his, and their palms meet. In the darker corner, no one would be the wiser to their delicate display of affection.

They fall into a comfortable silence, watching the crowd twirl around. The chandeliers reflect the golden tapestries on the walls and the pristine pink rose petal floor. The romantic Naboo air sets the tone well, as rich and powerful combine in a romance, as well as the secret Jedi love.

Jongdae can feel a blush rise in his cheeks, and he knows it wasn’t from the wine. Baekhyun’s fingers are delicate pieces, caressing Jongdae’s own rough finger tips. Baekhyun’s thumb begins a sensual journey. It smooths out the veins on Jongdae’s thin wrist, sending tingles down Jongdae’s spine. The thumb rubs dizzying circles in his palm that Jongdae feels he could get drunk off it. The other Jedi knows exactly how to set Jongdae’s skin on fire.

“I don’t mean to interrupt the moment, but I didn’t come over here just for fun,” Jongdae whispers delicately in Baekhyun’s ear, just on the brink of breaking into a moan. Baekhyun stops his motions, releasing Jongdae’s hand. Jongdae looks at Baekhyun seriously, “The Governess has taken interest in you.”

“Do you think I haven’t noticed?” Baekhyun falls into a slight grimace, which Jongdae thinks is unusual. Baekhyun would have definitely teased the other, but this wasn’t the case. This whole night is getting weirder by the minute.

“I think you should dance with her,” Jongdae says boldly. Baekhyun almost does a double take.

“Are you crazy?” Baekhyun whispers once a Senator passes by their corner. “The last person I thought would give me off to a girl would be you.”

“She’s obviously struck by you, so why not indulge her a little? It’s a harmless crush,” Jongdae can’t make his point any clearer. The poor girl is probably wallowing in her own infatuation, too stuck by Baekhyun to make a move. “You have my permission.”

Baekhyun looks a little nervous, and he’s too quiet for Jongdae. He shifts his eyes nervously and mumbles, “I don’t think it’s a good idea.”

Jongdae rolls his eyes, “Live a little. It’s just one dance.”

Baekhyun purses his lips and shifts uncomfortably on his feet. Jongdae looks expectantly at Baekhyun, since his body language is so strange.

“Do you not know how to dance?” Jongdae asks, trying to catch Baekhyun’s eyes. But they are shifted awkwardly and there’s embarrassment written across his face.

Baekhyun mumbles, “I know how to dance, just not ...”

Jongdae practically bursts out laughing. What a cliché.

Instead of any more words between them, Jongdae grips Baekhyun’s arm and pulls him out into the light. They stop in the middle of the room, caught in the eye of the waltzing tornado. Baekhyun looks unamused, practically whining against Jongdae’s boisterous laugh.

“Come on. It’s very easy,” Jongdae reassures the other. He places his hand in the lead position, holding one in Baekhyun’s hand and the other gently on Baekhyun’s shoulder blade. Baekhyun apathetic look is shot in the ground when Jongdae presses them a little closer and begins the waltz step. “It’s a simple three steps. Forward, and a quick side-side.”

“You’re speaking in Tongues again,” Baekhyun whines when Jongdae presses against him when Baekhyun doesn’t move quick enough back. They move a little awkwardly at first, but Baekhyun gets used to the feeling. They’re quickly learning the basics of the waltz movement.

“You’ll probably find the man’s position a little better,” Jongdae switches the role, placing Baekhyun’s hands on his body. His eyes are shining brightly. He’s never had Baekhyun publicly in his arms and it feels more comfortable than Jongdae initially thought. Public displays of affection always haunted him.

Baekhyun brings them even closer, their chests almost touching and legs almost tangled. As Baekhyun begins the step, it all becomes more natural, and their legs don’t get tripped up. Jongdae feels a high of Baekhyun’s warm embrace, and all worries about this night flee off. Dancing with his lover in public without the ridicule of his superiors feels like absolute heaven. He knows he would be pushing his luck, but there is a feeling in his stomach that makes him want to kiss Baekhyun to Naboo’s moon and back.

“Easier, right?” Jongdae’s face is at Baekhyun’s height, eyes shining brightly with happiness.

Baekhyun gives his easy smile, “Much easier with you.”

Jongdae wants nothing more than to press his face closer, but a sudden cough behind them dissolves Jongdae’s thoughts. Behind the two dancing Jedi is the Governess, freshly powdered and confidence squaring her shoulders. She looks proper and elegant, and quite more confident than Jongdae had last seen her.

“Jedi,” the Governess acknowledges as Jongdae slips away from Baekhyun’s grasp. The tone feels colder all of a sudden.

“Hello, your Governess. May I introduce to you my fellow Jedi Knight, Baekhyun Byun,” Jongdae presents his friend with a grand smile. Baekhyun gives her a proper head bow.

“And I’ll present you the Governess of Pantora, Talia Hyndo,” Jongdae presents her, with proper introductions.

The Governess looks a little pleased, although it’s hard to tell since her face is very still and poised, along with the rest of her body. She finally blinks between the two Jedi, definitely resting her eyes more on Baekhyun. Her eyes become a little gentler when she passes onto Jongdae.

“May I take your Jedi away from you?” She asks Jongdae confidently without a waver to hint at. Jongdae is a little surprised at the possessive undertones. The Governess must have been a little jealous at the two Jedi’s interactions. To be fair, they are very close. They are lovers, after all.

“Of course,” Jongdae tightens his lips into a closed smile, stepping out of the way. He jokingly adds, “I’m afraid he’s just a beginner at waltzing, your Governess.”

“No worries,” the Governess keeps her face tight and unwavering her poised nature. Jongdae watches Baekhyun’s mind turn as he stands in silence. He wants so badly to know what he is thinking about. 

 

“Governess,” Baekhyun gently reaches his hand out to take hers. She accepts it, placing her tiny blue hand inside of Baekhyun’s. He leads her into the twirling crowd, easing themselves into the waltzing position. Baekhyun feels like his whole body is on fire from nerves. This whole night is making his stomach clench uncontrollably. The thought of all the attention on him, and his past shown in the spotlight makes him on edge. Coming to Naboo was a mistake.

However, he can’t just turn away and run. He has a duty as a Jedi Knight. He is a peacekeeper with an assignment from a Senator. The only option he has is to go under the radar, show an emotionless face, and be the best Jedi he can be.

The only problem he is having is with the Governess of Pantoran. She has been staring at him the whole night. He’s noticed it even before they approached Senator Hyndo. Her eyes widened when they first met, like something struck her as familiar. From that moment on, she stared, continuing to investigate. Baekhyun just wants her to stop drawing so much attention to herself and him.

“You’re nervous,” the Governess points out casually, nodding to Baekhyun’s hands, which are shaking.

“My apologies,” Baekhyun takes a few breaths, dancing slowly. “I’m a peacekeeper, not a politician or ruler. These parties don’t suit me well.”

“I agree,” the Governess simply puts, but it feels cold. Baekhyun is waiting for a further comment, but it does not come. Instead, she waltzes gracefully and changes the subject. “What do you do as a Jedi Knight?”

Baekhyun lets his guard down slightly with the smallest smile, “We are peacekeepers of the Galaxy, particularly in order to aid the Government in the stop of the Great War.”

The Governess lets a small chuckle pass through her poised lips, and her pale yellow eyes seem calmer, “I meant you in particular.”

Baekhyun lets his face freeze for a second in a gape of realization, and then lets himself go again. He even gives his chapped lips a . He spins the Governess and returns her comfortably in his arms, “I’m a Lieutenant in the Great War, and hopefully a General soon. I deal mainly with ground troops. I’ll be honest, it’s because I hate flying in something I’m not in control of.”

“At least you’re being honest,” The snarky coldness enters her voice again briefly. Baekhyun supposes the comment was intended to be under her breath, but their distance is very close. Baekhyun knows that he can’t let his guard down any more than he has, especially when she returns with her pale eyes like nothing had happened.

“You must be a very skilled warrior then. You’re very young to want to be a General,” the Governess gently rubs Baekhyun’s bicep underneath her light fingers. Baekhyun does not like the touch, it seems suspicious.

Baekhyun clears his throat of suspicion and answers deliberately, “I suppose I am. Many of the Jedi here tonight are Generals in the war. Even your companion tonight, Jedi Kim, is one of the most successful Generals.”

“You two are good friends,” she changes the conversation so drastically, Baekhyun can’t help but stiffen his body. Baekhyun doesn’t want his personal life so exposed like this. And perhaps she is insinuating more out of her comment. Baekhyun has a deep seeding feeling in his stomach that he doesn’t like.

“I’d like to think so,” Baekhyun replies dutifully.

“He says that he knows you very well,” the Governess loves her inadequate sentences, because she drifts off again, leaving Baekhyun in question. All of a sudden, he can sense her heart beat pick up, and her tone seems cold and harsh, “But how well can he really know you?”

“I beg your pardon,” Baekhyun is taken aback and slows their dancing down. It is the only thing he can really think of since she leads on an accusatory outburst. He can feel anger welling up inside the Governess, and he isn’t exactly sure why. He starts to get anxious. “Have I done something to upset you?”

She lets out a mocking laugh, followed by a terrifying snark, “Don’t play coy with me.”

Baekhyun is definitely nervous underneath her confident and powerful pale yellow eyed stare. Baekhyun’s hands feel limp underneath the strong posture she keeps up. Baekhyun knows that a woman’s anger is a dangerous game to play with. But even he can’t figure out what he’s done to upset her.

The Pantoran woman draws her face in closer, her target at Baekhyun’s ear. Baekhyun can’t help but be at her mercy, under the oath of the Jedi Order and the Naboo Senator. Her whisper is harsh and dangerous, “I know exactly who your family is.”

Baekhyun feels as if his whole breath knocks out of his body and he is left as an empty shell. Baekhyun lets his form go once the Governess decides to lay her arms down. He feels hopeless and definitely at her whim now more than ever. His face drops flatly, hoping that by not showing his emotions he would get an advantage, “What do you want?”

The Governess holds a predator like smile now that she knows her prey is trapped. She crooks her finger at the defeated Jedi and leads them into the dark corner. Baekhyun reluctantly goes, knowing that only trouble is on the other side.

-

Jongdae picks up another drink when he turns back on Baekhyun and the Governess dancing. He hopes that it would clear some of the air tonight, and Baekhyun would get a little bit of fun for the evening. Poor boy looked distraught the whole night.

Jongdae spots Chanyeol alone in a chair, playing a card game with other Senators. Jongdae’s heels click against the floor as he walks toward his friend, catching another drink in his hands. He settles behind Chanyeol, spotting him the drink and looking down at his card hand. He’s going to bluff again.

“Where’s your shadow?” Jongdae whispers the tease at Chanyeol’s ear. The Senator grumbles when his bluff is caught from the Gran Senator and takes a drink. Jongdae chuckles at the hand Chanyeol is given, even after Chanyeol’s talk about he’s the best poker player in the galaxy.

“Kyungsoo got pretty drunk, so I sent him back to the ship to rest,” Chanyeol hums around his glass. Jongdae leans his body against the wall, watching the game commence.

“I’m guessing your plan didn’t work quite as well as you thought it would?” Jongdae feels a smirk form on his face, even if it isn’t intentional. He knows how much Chanyeol is adamant about Kyungsoo liking him. From the moment Chanyeol “accidentally” assigned Kyungsoo as his companion for the evening, Jongdae knew it was the plan all along. Unfortunately, Chanyeol never takes into the account Kyungsoo’s own reaction, which is mostly negative.

Chanyeol throws a few chips into the pot with disinterest. “Drunken truths are still truths, Jongdae.”

“Goodness,” Jongdae fake gasps, teasing the other. “He must have really bit into you.”

“I didn’t think the only way he could tolerate me was by downing a liquor store,” Chanyeol grumbles sadly, now downing his own drink. He laughs pitifully, “And even then.”

Jongdae rolls his eyes at Chanyeol’s dramatic story. He puts it plainly, “You’re a Senator. Kyungsoo is only like that because you two don’t talk to each other like you used to. I can’t blame him.”

“Everyone says Senator like it’s a bad thing. I just don’t get it.”

Silence falls between them as Jongdae observes the card game that Chanyeol is sorely losing at. Even since the Senators switched the game to a simple bluffing game, Chanyeol can’t hold on that strongly. Over the course of the game, Jongdae could sense the swirling thoughts in Chanyeol’s head, and it translates on his face.

“I can practically hear your thoughts,” Jongdae whispers during the game. Chanyeol holds his cards a little tighter.

With a sigh, Chanyeol throws a card into the pile. Frustration bubbles in his throat by the sound of his tone, “I just don’t understand how Kyungsoo claims that I’m being ingenuine when he doesn’t open up to me. I can’t just read his mind and know what’s going on. It’s hard with him.”

“He’s always been a very private person, you know that,” Jongdae argues. “Most Jedi are, in case we are interrogated. If we have loved ones or private information, we’d rather keep it to ourselves than let it be accessible to our enemies.”

“But I’m not the enemy,” Chanyeol stresses, astonished by Jongdae’s words. “I’ve been on your side since I was born.”

“I know you’re not.” Jongdae pauses to whisper into Chanyeol’s ear, “But there are those that hide under powerful masks.”

Chanyeol turns away from the game to stare at Jongdae with incredulous eyes. For a moment, Chanyeol is speechless. And the astonishment turns into sour realization and he mumbles, “He doesn’t trust me. Why doesn’t he trust me?”

Jongdae couldn’t come up with anything to comfort his friend. Chanyeol can’t force Kyungsoo to trust him. It comes with time and patience, something that Chanyeol doesn’t grasp. He is young and privileged, and without guidance. Ever since his father passed, Chanyeol’s been thrown into the cage of maturity. He hasn’t learned the hard lessons of his youth, instead forced into a Senators role. Jongdae sympathizes with him greatly. All he can do is try to help.

Jongdae pats Chanyeol’s back as his eyes are downcast. “Patience is the key. Have faith, Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol picks his head up and rests it on Jongdae’s arm. He’s deep in thought, but less upset, looking into the crowd of people. His eyes catch a familiar face, and his face turns concerned, “Is that Baekhyun? He doesn’t look well.”

Jongdae follows Chanyeol’s eyes to a figure storming off to the exit. With a better look, Jongdae does recognize it as Baekhyun, but he looks so distraught. Jongdae can feel a radiance of stress from him, and he doesn’t like it.

Jongdae quickly rushes over to intercept the brooding man. It doesn’t seem like Baekhyun even notices him when he suddenly rushes into Jongdae and the man blocks him. Up close, he can see Baekhyun’s body tense and the over powering emotions from his soul rush over Jongdae like a wave.

Concern washes over Jongdae, “Baekhyun, is everything alright?”

“I’m not feeling well,” Baekhyun grumbles, eyes darting anywhere but Jongdae’s face. He tries quickly stepping away from Jongdae, but the other anticipates the move and blocks him. He breathes harshly, “I’m going to rest on the ship.”

“Where’s the Governess?”

Jongdae can see Baekhyun’s body clenched up underneath his attire. Jongdae does a quick scan of his eyes now that he’s got Baekhyun on the spot. Every muscle seems to be contracting and relaxing, like he’s stressed out. But his right hand, which is deliberately tucked in the dark corner, is held contracted, like he has a ball on energy in his hand. Jongdae immediately gets suspicious. “Baekhyun, where is she?”

There is a pause between them, and it feels like infinity. Jongdae is locked onto Baekhyun’s face for any sign of what is happening, even if his right hand feels like an immediate threat. In a second, Baekhyun’s eyes flicker and Jongdae can see a brief emotion pound into his chest. Fear.

Within the next second, Jongdae hears a loud crash of metallic in the deep corner of the ballroom. Jongdae’s eyes immediately flash towards the sound, letting Baekhyun run from his gaze. Patrons are concerned, and their fear overwhelms Jongdae’s senses. He’s torn between the crash and Baekhyun getting away, but his duty is to the people. He lets Baekhyun run up the stairs to escape.

Jongdae’s boots click steadily as he runs for the corner, shouting that the Senators step away. He gets the corner, and is surprised by the scene. The Governess is unconscious, laid amongst metallic design pieces. Jongdae quickly drags her semi buried body out of the heavy material and lays her on the tile of the ballroom.

“Get a medic droid immediately!” Jongdae commands, sending off a guard. He lays a finger to her pulse and finds a steady beat amongst her blue skin. Jongdae doesn’t immediately notice a sign of struggle or even any evidence of an attack. No bruises showed on her skin, and without her account, no one really would know what happened. There is a sinking feeling in his stomach because he was supposed to watch her. And all that he knows is that the last person he saw with her was now extremely distraught, and it made him anxious.

“Talia!” the voice of the Pantoran Senator calls out. He rushes next to Jongdae, concern on his face for his daughter. “Is she alright?”

“We shall see. She’s breathing, which is a good sign,” Jongdae says lowly in order to keep her privacy intact. “The medical droid is here.”

The two step away from the Governess to let the medical droid assess her. Senator Hyndo looks distraught and concerned as he whispers, “How could this have happened?”

“I’m sorry, Senator. I did not see any signs of an attack, so perhaps she fainted. We won’t know until she wakes,” Jongdae respectfully folds his arms back. However, Jongdae could sense an immediate switch into anger from the Senator.

“You were supposed to watch her. If you did your job correctly, this wouldn’t have happened,” he snarls and storms back to his daughter and the medical droid. Jongdae could only his bow his head, his conscience weary, as the crowd circles around the poor blue Pantoran Governess.


A/N: Hi again!! Sorry for the many POV changes, but they are very necessary. ^^

(*as for the sudden married!chanyeol, it's only to emphasize the divide between him and kyungsoo - the fact that his friend only knew about the marriage through tabloids! That's pretty sad...^^')

So.... chansoo relationship isn't going so good, poor guys ;_; and the plot thickens around Baekhyun!! Who is his family? What's he hiding? I'm sorry for leaving you guys on a cliff hangar, but not really muahaha ;)

ALSO I TOTALLY FORGOT: for editing, I read the chapters out loud, or have a text-reader just to get the flow, and I realized something that probably doesn't translate well in the story. The Jedi/nobles/Senators/Governess/etc. speak with a "proper" accent - so British accent. And Baekhyun, common folk, and soldiers speak with "less-proper" accents, like American/Canadian. This is similar to the Star Wars movies if you have seen them. Anyway, there's a little tidbit extra for you ^^

 

See you guys next week~